{news} Fw: CT Events

vogel at ct.metrocast.net vogel at ct.metrocast.net
Fri Sep 11 08:50:58 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: ct4singlepayer
To: ct4singlepayer at gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:43 PM
Subject: CT Events

Hello fellow health care reformers - I have two Connecticut events to tell you about.

 The first is Monday September 14th at 12 noon. Gather at the Omni Hotel, 155 Temple Street, New Haven, CT and join our march to New Haven City Hall. There are more details in the attached flyer.

The second is a health care forum. It is taking place at the Yale School of Medicine, Harkness Auditorium, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT on Friday, September 18th from 3:00PM to 5:00PM. No tickets are required. Parking 20 York Street. There are a number of panelists invited:

Congressman Eric Massa of New York's 29th district  (invited - not yet confirmed)

Donna Smith, a community organizer and legislative representative for the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee who was recently honored as the National Organization for Women’s (NOW’s) 2009 Woman of Action (Ms.Smith appeared in Michael Moore’s movie, “SICKO.” Despite having health insurance and even a health savings account, Donna and her husband Larry were forced to move into their daughter’s basement after staggering health care expenses left them in financial ruin. - Ms. Smith has confirmed)

Physicians for a National Health Program will be sending a speaker. I haven't heard who the speaker will be yet.

Prof. Robert Pollin, U Mass. Amherst,  who helped inspire the Obama administration's green-jobs strategy (confirmed)

Prof. Jacob Hacker, Yale,  who is credited as the "inventor" of the public option (invited - not yet confirmed)

The speakers I am looking forward to the most are the economists. Both have inspired the Obama administration. Both see health care reform as key to solving our economic woes but they have different views on the appropriate health care reform. The discussion should be illuminating. An audience including Yale students, professors, doctors and hopefully ourselves should provide for some interesting questions.

All the best,
Nancy Hansen