{news} training for 3d party election moderators 10/6 in Hartford

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:29:50 EDT 2009

I'm forwarding the invitation below from Urania Petit via Martha Kelly.
Urania is the Working Families Party registrar of voters in Hartford.  I
agree with Martha that it's an excellent opportunity for anyone
considering running for Registrar or working as a moderator in the
future.  I'd like to attend but am not free on October 6 for the
training (or November 3 for the election).

While many of us are not enthusiastic about the WFP's main raison
d'etre, which seems to be cross-endorsing Democratic candidates,
Urania's case is different.  She was elected last year as a third-party
candidate in her own right and now works as a complement to the Democrat
and Republican registrars in Hartford. We should be supportive of her
and encourage the WFP to run more of their own candidates.

Urania would like to see the Green Party run and elect more candidates
for registrar of voters.  There may be some seats open in 2010, but
mainly in 2012, when I'd like to see us run serious campaigns in New
Haven and Bridgeport, both cities where a Green could get elected by
garnering more votes than the Republican candidate for registrar.

David Bedell