{news} Re: [CTGREENPARTYNEWS] Re: SCC Meeting Location and agenda for meeting - hope this works

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Thu May 26 23:54:39 EDT 2011

Dear all,

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the SCC meeting next Tuesday as I work until 7 pm.
However, I do want to register a concern re: NEED TO ADOPT ROBERTS’ RULES OF ORDER (CURRENT EDITION)

The Green Party of the CT, in keeping with the Green Party of the US,  has long rejected Roberts Rules of Order as an unnecessarily hierarchical way of facilitation and instead, uses modified consensus in all its decision making.    Several year ago, in an effort to educate greens about this, the NW chapter hosted a daylong training on modified consensus with GPUS facilitator extraordinaire, Lynn Serpe from NY.

Anyway, for those of you new to the GP, this is not a little issue, but significant in terms of  process being the message.
At some point, Judy Herkimer and I would be happy to provide an intro to this different way of making decisions.  It is one where consensus is the goal, and votes are taken only when there is a blocking concern from someone in the group.

Until then, I oppose the adoption of RRO for the GPCT.

Best regards,
Justine