[TDA_wg] Outline of discussion at Hotwired IV

Griffin, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Griffin at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed May 20 12:57:49 EDT 2015

Dear All,

A previous message of mine proposed that the WG keep visible the various strands of which it is composed, both for admin purposes and also in order that any one aspect of TDA not be construed as the whole of it.  I was therefore about to suggest that those taking part in this Nomenclature discussion consider forming a splinter group, or sub-committee, for Naming Transients (or some such).  However, that could cut badly across the Commission's WG for Nomenclature, both in its present form and in its continuation in C.B5.   You may regard the naming of transients (including supernovae) as sufficiently specific to TDA that there won't be confusion (or duplication, or destruction of the integrity of the Nomenclature WG), but it may end up by creating a rival group.  How do you want to proceed?

Elizabeth Griffin
(WG Vice-Chair)

PS. The annoyance to which Michael refers is not limited to SN names!  Those who can recite the HD backwards are flummoxed by those who only deal in HR numbers or (forbid it!) Flamsteed ones or Bayer designations.  Simbad can resolve them efficiently, but again that doesn't help oral discussions.