[Thali-talk] Where to with Thali?

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 18 18:33:48 EDT 2014

I thought I would provide an update on our immediate goals. We are getting ready for an internal Microsoft review of the Thali project sometime in September. The exact date hasn't been set yet.

As part of the internal review we will be showing a demo. Tim Park from Microsoft has kindly volunteered to write the demo. The idea is that he will actually live code the demo at the review. Currently the demo is planned to be an IM client.

All the major components for the demo are actually done. We have the TDH up and running with full Tor support. We have the address book up and running with QR Code support. We have the HTML5 developer framework ready to play with. All of this on both Java and Android.

None of this would have happened without the awesome support of the 'Thali summer of code' (to steal a phrase =) team - Ivan Judson, Jason Poon, Jim Spring and Stefan Gordon!

For the demo what we are currently missing is:

* Code to add HTTPKEYs from the address book automatically into the permission database. We actually already have the base code for this written in Javascript but I need to integrate it and test it. This is a hack until we put in proper ACL/Group support for the dev preview.

* Code to support replicating to/from everyone in the address book. This is a preview of our group based replication support in the dev preview.

* Figure out how we want to publish to maven all of our AARs/Jars/APKs/distZips

I'm hoping to have all of that finished this week or next week at the latest.

Once everything is done we will snap a release for the September review. Our next immediate goal will be our dev preview. The idea behind the dev preview is to have enough working that a developer can come in, with little pain and write an app that 'works'. We will still be missing major features like battery management, space management, security review, testing, etc. But at least we can go to interested parties and give them something they can play with and see solid results with.

Once we get the code for the September review 'in the bag' I'll put together a list of features we think we need for the dev preview. I'm very curious to hear feedback on the features and their relative prioritization.

        Thanks,

                Yaron