[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 8/25/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 25 16:11:39 EDT 2014

Last Week:

  *   TL;DR - Got the address book handle onion addresses and setting permissions, dealt with a bug in Android's Apache client retry logic, wrote the group replicator spec [1] and code and finished and got passing all associated tests.
  *   Monday - Fixed up some QRCode fun. Sent an hour on compliance training. Wrote up a ton of text (internal project status updates, weekly status and sending mail to the mailing list about the project status) and then realized I hadn't hooked up the address book to resolve onion address via QRCodes! This required publishing the TDH's Tor socks proxy address. It also showed up a bug in how I was handling the socks proxy failures, I needed to throw an ioexception to get Apache to retry.
  *   Tuesday - Spent a bunch of time in my yearly review with my manager and then a bunch of time updating the dev handbook because we had a request for help building and I realized the handbook was horribly out of date. I then finished getting the addressbook able to handle onion addresses and hooked up the ability to give permissions to anyone in the address book.
  *   Wednesday - Did a bunch of debugging to prove that the ancient Apache client in Android doesn't retry ioexceptions thrown by connection handlers (even though the newer Java version does). So for now I had to work around by putting my own retry logic into our custom connection handler. I completely end to end testing (which takes more than 30 minutes) and did a checkin on everything. Started on the group replicator code.
  *   Thursday - Sent mail to a long shot potential customer and got back to work on the group replicator. Needed to write a spec on thaligroup URL scheme [1], finished the code and started to write the tests.
  *   Friday - Continued to write tests. I started to test a little in Android and ran into a fun bug where Android's RegEx support is different than Java's. My baby tests were failing because I was using Ektorp and our existing replication manager doesn't return the right response that Ektorp is expecting. So I fixed that. Got all tests passing for the new group replicator! I'm running into an intermitant bug that I've seen for weeks that sometimes the test for the android tor onion proxy router times out. Started to investigate.

This Week:

  *   See if we can figure out why the Android tor onion proxy router is having such a bad day.
  *   Figure out how to get all of our jars/aars/apks/distZips published to maven
  *   Write up sample code to exercise the key features we want for the demo
  *   Actually download a clean windows VM and go through all the steps a dev would have to go through in order to develop on our platform.

[1]

http://www.thaliproject.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Thaligroup_URL_Scheme