[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 11/24/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 24 18:27:18 EST 2014

[Note: This is a vacation week so I'll be OOF on Thursday and Friday]

Last Week

*        TL;DR - Between preparing for an internal presentation and dealing with customer issues I got maybe 2 days of coding in but the good news is that this resulted in me submitting a PR that increases PouchDB's pull replication perf by 800%!

*        Monday - Spent hours follow up on possible customer contacts including an internal call with MS OpenTech to get ideas for customers from them. But got to spend a good chunk of the day understand the PouchDB code and the consequences for fixing the perf bug I found last week. Ran into a bug that is keeping me from running PouchDB's mocha tests in Intellij, which is a real productivity killer. Spent the rest of the day working on a slide deck for my Friday presentation to my own team about what it is I'm up to.

*        Tuesday - Had a good call with Fokus/Fraunhofer about work they are doing that is very similar to Thali. Worked more on the slide deck. Jumped on IRC to get some help from the PouchDB folks on why tests weren't working. It turns out I ran into a known bug<https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-10067> in IntelliJ. But once I understood the problem the fix was hacky but easy<http://thaliproject.org/DeveloperHandbook#how-to-debug-pouchdb-tests-in-node.js-and-intellij>. Had a long lunch with Matthew Podwysocki of RX fame, he is a consultant on the Node.js everywhere work. Got in more time practicing and refining the slide deck. Wrote up entries for the dev handbook on how to handle debugging and fixed a minor bug I found in my PouchDB perf fix code.

*        Wednesday - Confirmed that my code fix increases PouchDB's pull replication perf 800%! It can go higher if we tweak batch sizes and parallel connections. Spent a good hour talking to David Raskino who is part of my group and couldn't make the Friday briefing I'm preparing the slide deck for. Ran into an intermittent failure with PouchDB that is apparently well known. I submitted the PR request<https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/3015> with the bug fix to PouchDB. I then ran into an issue where synching the skimdb DB is failing after 26,000 records or so. We seem to be in some kind of endless loop.

*        Thursday - Had a long call with a potential customer. Spent the bulk of the day tweaking the slide deck for tomorrow's internal presentation. Still investigating the synch error I found yesterday.

*        Friday - The morning presentation to my team went great followed by an awesome call with a seriously interesting potential customer. Followed by being pounded into the ground with all sorts of partner emails. No coding was done.

Next Week

*        Track down the synch bug!

*        Write the perf test that Dale asked me for as part of the PouchDB PR

*        Maybe finally get to querying NPM database to figure out how much we care about native add-ons