[Thali-talk] Yaron's Weekly Update - 9/8/2014

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 8 16:29:00 EDT 2014

Last Week:

  *   TL;DR - Squashed remaining known bugs, wrote up instructions for writing a Thali app<http://www.thaliproject.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_writing_apps_for_Thali> and published a blog article<http://www.goland.org/thalimesh/> on my research on mesh solutions for Thali (short answer: there are no good ones right now, so Wi-Fi direct is probably our best fallback)
  *   Monday - Labor Day!
  *   Tuesday - Wrote a wiki page<http://www.thaliproject.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_writing_apps_for_Thali> on how to write a Thali app for Tim. I then built the 'super jars' so we can have one Java zip file for all our PC platforms. Ran into a problem building on Linux which turned out to be that the gradle was trying to build a 32 bit image on the 64 bit platform. I ran into an issue that our binaries were too big to fix on bintray. Turned out to be I had a 34 meg test jar I didn't need brought in by Pouch. Once I removed that we were fine. I then started to actually follow the instructions I wrote on a fresh Mac VM.
  *   Wednesday - Finished up the mac tests using the written instructions. Changed how I excluded the test jar so it's much cleaner now. However running the TDH on the mac caused an immediate core dump! It took me all day to finally figure out the problem - JavaFX does not work in any VM environment other than VirtualBox and I am running the Mac image in Parallels. Oh and VirtualBox doesn't support Mac images! But we don't need the JavaFX code anymore (it's historical) so I just yanked it and fixed things that way. Unbelievably how hard this was to figure out. Unfortunately JavaFX wasn't anywhere on the stack and the code never reached any of my code. I eventually found out by trial and error. I was 'supposed' to notice that there was an OpenGL code on the stack which might have tipped me but I didn't notice so this blew most of a day. I also had the pouchdb_sync 'multiple errors' problem that causes Javascript to stop working pop up again! Arg!
  *   Thursday - Finally ran down the cause of the pouchdb_sync 'multiple errors'. It was a bad call to the JSON object in a debug statement! Rebuilt EVERYTHING and ran tests and updated absolutely everything. Then researched open source mesh solutions and wrote up an article<http://www.goland.org/thalimesh/> on it.
  *   Friday - Got feedback that the article didn't do a fair job on commotion so I went back and studied it more deeply and updated the article. I kept testing out the demo code to make sure no bugs were showing up. Things seem to be working well. Started working on the slide deck for the internal review.

This Week:

  *   Put together execution plan for dev preview and first release
  *   Use that material to finish up the planning slide deck
  *   Start executing on the plan