[Thali-talk] QR codes

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Apr 6 12:13:28 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015, at 06:11 PM, Yaron Goland wrote:
> I think I'll send the demo to some of the folks we are working with and
> see if they are o.k. with it. I honestly and truly don't know what is
> easier for normal people to handle, QRCodes or Bluetooth. But let's find
> out!

I just modified the code to use the front-facing camera, to experiment
with double-instance scanning possibility. Sadly, it was a big failure.
First, auto/macro-focus capability is essential for easy scanning, and
front facing cameras generally don't support that (for now). Second, the
ability to see a preview of the camera while you are scanning is
essential to proper aim. Just holding the two devices opposite ends up
from each-other wasn't sufficient for achieving a quick double scan.

In the end, it worked, but I think using the back camera and quickly
holding each phone over the other makes a great deal more sense!

@Michael - we were just about to embark on integrated QR code display
and scanning capabilities into ChatSecure, so I am likely to utilize
this code. I'll make sure to attribute Briar and your sample project
when we do. Thanks!

+n