[TheClimate.Vote] Aug. 13, 2016- Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Aug 13 10:36:18 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming August 13, 2016/

*With Rains like These, Who Needs Hurricanes?
<https://climatecrocks.com/2016/08/13/with-rains-like-these-who-needs-hurricanes/>*
By mid-morning on Friday, *more than a foot of rain had fallen near
Kentwood, Louisiana, in just a 12-hour stretch*  — a downpour with an
estimated likelihood of just once every 500 years, and roughly three
months’ worth of rainfall during a typical hurricane season. It’s the
latest in a string of*exceptionally rare rainstorms that are stretching
the definition of "extreme" weather. ...It's exactly the sort of
rainstorm that's occurring more frequently as the planet
warms.*...Although 2015 saw a Northern Hemisphere record for major
hurricanes, Cat 3 and above. Still we hear climate deniers talking about
a "hurricane drought".

    Veganism's place in the*climate change*debate
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/12/veganisms-place-in-the-climate-change-debate>

The Guardian 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

4 Use our land to produce crops more effectively. 5 Reduce excessive
meat consumption. We need to get over the taboo against discussing
population growth and face the facts.

    *Climate Science*: Revolution is Here
    <http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/08/12/climate-science-revolution-here>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

.A host of innovations in energy technology is transforming the
climate-change outlook – one of the world's three required paradigm
shifts... a much more positive prognosis based on the rapid advances
being made in the development of renewable-energy resources and of
energy storage....A few prescient analysts, Jeremy Leggett for one, have
long argued that this element of human futures is much brighter than
appreciated. It is a view backed up by a series of technological
developments. Many of these are covered in Chris Goodall’s new book The
Switch (Profile Books, 2016), which examines the potential for solar
power and the beginnings of a revolution in energy storage. The Switch –
worth a few hours of anyone’s time – focuses especially on recent and
current improvements in efficiency, and consequent substantial decreases
in costs.

    *Global Warming*Will Make It Nearly Impossible to Hold the Summer
    Olympics
    <http://gizmodo.com/global-warming-will-make-it-nearly-impossible-to-hold-t-1785203911>

Gizmodo 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

Olympic organizers have made*climate change*a central theme at the
current games—and for good reason. A sobering new study shows that by
the 2084 Olympics, rising temperatures will make it practically
impossible for most cities to host the summer ...In a new commentary
published in The Lancet, a team led by Berkeley researchers Kirk Smith
and John Balmes warn that the future of the summer Olympics is in
jeopardy. Seventy years from now, only eight Northern Hemisphere cities
outside of Europe will be cool enough to host the games, with only three
cities in North America capable of serving as hosts....Using this
criteria, the researchers were able to identify only eight out of 543
cities outside of western Europe that would qualify as "low risk" sites,
including St. Petersburg in Russia, Riga in Latvia, Bishkek in
Kyrgyzstan, and Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia. Shockingly, only three North
American cities made the cut, namely San Francisco, Vancouver, and
Calgary. Western Europe provided the greatest number of "low risk"
cities at 25. Latin America and Africa failed to produce a single viable
city.

*The last Summer Olympics? Climate change, health, and work outdoors
<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2816%2931335-6/fulltext>*
The Lancet - Climate change threatens human health in many ways, through
heat waves, extreme weather events, and shifts in disease vectors, as
well as economic and social stresses on populations living in or trying
to escape areas affected by seawater intrusion, drought, lower
agricultural productivity, and floods.1 In the short term, most of these
impacts could be substantially ameliorated by actions to reduce
background disease risks and other known causes of vulnerability. The
world beyond 2050 poses increasingly difficult challenges, not only
because of the inherent uncertainties in long-term predictions, but
because the extent and speed of change might exceed society's ability to
adapt.   (This article is available free of charge.)

    Trump:*Climate change*won't be 'devastating'
    <http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/291231-trump-climate-change-wont-be-devastating>

The Hill 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

In an interview with The Miami Herald, Trump reiterated he's "not a big
believer in manmade*climate change*," and while he acknowledged problems
such as rising sea levels, he attributed them to "a change in weather
patterns, and you've had it for many ..In an interview with The Miami
Herald, Trump reiterated he’s "not a big believer in manmade climate
change," and while he acknowledged problems such as rising sea levels,
he attributed them to "a change in weather patterns, and you’ve had it
for many years.".."I would say it goes up, it goes down, and I think
it’s very much like this over the years," he said. "We’ll see what
happens. I mean, we’ll see what happens. ... Certainly, climate has
changed."...Trump has long said he doesn’t believe in the science behind
climate change, even though there is broad agreement among researchers
that human activity has contributed to the phenomenon. .

*Full interview with GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump (video 10
min)
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/donald-trump/article95161477.html>*
Miami Herald In a wide-ranging interview focused on South Florida issues
on Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016, Donald Trump talks about climate change and
Cuba policy, and for the first time, says that Congress should set aside
money to fight Zika.

    Public Records Sought Over Federal Surveillance
    of*Climate*Protesters
    <http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/08/11/public-records-sought-over-federal-surveillance-climate-protesters>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Aug 11, 2016‎

WASHINGTON - The Center for Biological Diversity today filed nine
Freedom of Information Act requests seeking the release of public
records relating to surveillance of peaceful protests of federal fossil
fuel auctions.

*New ‘Years of Living Dangerously' Season Expands Reach on (Murdoch
owned) NatGeo
<https://thinkprogress.org/https-thinkprogress-org-climate-tv-series-premiere-murdoch-c97f3b040207#.lrpphzbiy>*
National Geographic Channel will premiere Season 2 of the
critically-acclaimed TV series, "Years of Living Dangerously" Sunday,
October 30 at 8 pm (ET)....The focus of Episode 1, with correspondents
David Letterman (!) and Cecily Strong (of "Saturday Night Live"), is
solar energy — in India and the United States. Later episodes feature
Jack Black, Gisele Bündchen, Ty Burrell, James Cameron, Don Cheadle,
America Ferrera, Thomas Friedman, Joshua Jackson, Aasif Mandvi, Nikki
Reed, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ian Somerhalder, Sigourney Weaver and
Bradley Whitford.
Three facts elevate this above the typical TV premiere announcement:
--"Years" is the first documentary series devoted to climate change ever
to appear on a major network or premium cable.
*--"New Season Scheduled to Air Just Over a Week Before the Presidential
Election," *as the National Geographic Channel (NGC) release proclaims
in its sub-head.
--NGC’s majority owner (73 percent) is 21st Century Fox, part of Rupert
Murdoch’s media empire, which is well known for its climate
disinformation....Personally, I have been extremely impressed with the
fact-checking team at NGC, which is far more informed and engaged than
any fact checkers I have ever worked with (TV or print). Indeed,*I
believe Season 2 of "Years of Living Dangerously" is actually better
than Season 1 — even though Season 1 won the 2014 Emmy for outstanding
non-fiction TV series, and Daily Kos called it "the most important
television series ever."* The Guardian named it "the most important
climate change multimedia communication endeavor in history."
Schwarzenegger has said, "This season, I hope to make an even more
powerful statement that*will inspire people to lead and demand change to
make our world a better place for future generations."*

*(2nd season) Years of Living Dangerously | Trailer YouTube video 1:35
<https://youtu.be/juXzfwvVHZQ>*
This Emmy-winning series follows celebrity correspondents around the
world, to witness first-hand the effects of climate change on our planet
and to learn how we can save it for future generations. New Season
premieres Sunday, Oct. 30, on Nat Geo.

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.