[TheClimate.Vote] August 16, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Tue Aug 16 09:22:58 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming August 16, 2016/

*World at War
<https://newrepublic.com/article/135684/declare-war-climate-change-mobilize-wwii>*
  New Republic -Bill McKibben -  It’s not that global warming is like a
world war.*It is a world war.  And we are losing....We’re under attack
from climate change—and our only hope is to mobilize like we did in
WWII*....The question is, will we fight back? And if we do, can we
actually defeat an enemy as powerful and inexorable as the laws of
physics?  It required ...a wholesale industrial retooling. ..name the
biggest security threat facing the planet. "Climate change,"...Like
fascism, *climate change is one of those rare crises that gets stronger
if you don’t attack*.  In every war, there are very real tipping points,
past which victory, or even a draw, will become impossible.

    McKibben: Time to Declare a War (Literally) on*Climate Change*
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/08/15/mckibben-time-declare-war-literally-climate-change>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎53 minutes ago‎

*"It is a world war. And we are losing."..*..We're under attack, says
author and*climate*campaigner Bill McKibben, and the only way to defeat
the enemy is to declare a global war against the destructive practices
that threaten the world's imperiled ecosystems and human civilization as
we know it*.*.."For years, our leaders chose to ignore the warnings of
our best scientists and top military strategists*. Global warming, they
told us, was beginning a stealth campaign that would lay waste to vast
stretches of the planet, uprooting and killing millions of innocent
civilians. But instead of paying heed and taking obvious precautions, we
chose to strengthen the enemy with our endless combustion; a billion
explosions of a billion pistons inside a billion cylinders have fueled a
global threat as lethal as the mushroom-shaped nuclear explosions we
long feared. Carbon and methane now represent the deadliest enemy of all
time, the first force fully capable of harrying, scattering, and
impoverishing our entire civilization."... *"We’ve waited so long to
fight back in this war that total victory is impossible, and total
defeat can’t be ruled out."**

    *Climate*urgency: we've locked in more*global warming*than people
    realize
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/aug/15/climate-urgency-weve-locked-in-more-global-warming-than-people-realize>

The Guardian 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

Today’s carbon pollution will have climate consequences for centuries to
come. *We’re in the midst of a critical decade*...To put this in
context, the international community agreed in last year's
Paris*climate*accords that we should limit*climate change*risks by
keeping*global warming*below 2°C, and preferably closer to 1.5°C. Yet
from the carbon pollution we've already*..*we’re committed to 1.5–3°C
warming over the coming decades and centuries.**
*
****Photos Show How Hard Climate Change Has Hit Greenland
<http://time.com/4447252/greenland-ice-climate-change/>*
Time magazine Photos taken by a research team from Denmark capture how
warming has hit glaciers in Greenland, where ice melt has been occurring
at a faster rate than ever in recorded history. Researchers captured the
images, published in the book The Greenland Ice Sheet, in the*exact
location their predecessor had taken photos eight decades prior *as
temperatures had just begun to warm. Side by side, the images offer a
stark comparison showing vast areas once covered in ice now empty land.

    Mapping the health threat of wildfires under*climate change*in US
    West
    <http://phys.org/news/2016-08-health-threat-wildfires-climate-west.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

A surge in major*wildfire*events in the U.S. West as a consequence
of*climate change****will expose tens of millions of Americans to high
levels of air pollution* in the coming decades, according to a new
Yale-led study conducted with collaborators from*...*

    *Aerosols*May Be Masking Trend in Stronger Hurricanes
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/aerosols-masking-hurricane-trend-20599>

Climate Central 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

Over the course of more than a decade of research, scientists studying
how the steady warming of the planet might impact hurricanes have become
fairly certain that *such storms will become more intense as the Earth
continues to heat up*... as the influence of warming will eventually win
out and the increase in hurricane intensity will become clear, the study
authors say...

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.