[TheClimate.Vote] Dec 1, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Thu Dec 1 10:09:29 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  December 1, 2016/

    This nine-step program is like Alcoholics Anonymous for*climate
    anxiety*.
    <http://grist.org/briefly/this-nine-step-program-is-like-alcoholics-anonymous-for-climate-anxiety/>

Grist 	 -‎22 hours ago‎

    The nine-step plan joins the burgeoning ranks of other forms of
    climate therapy, from the government's $8.2 million program for the
    mental health of Superstorm Sandy survivors to the New England
    poet–turned–*climate-anxiety*-doctor. After all, climate ...
    http://grist.org/briefly/this-nine-step-program-is-like-alcoholics-anonymous-for-climate-anxiety/

    Tennessee*Wildfire*Is "Unlike Anything We've Ever Seen"
    <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tennessee-wildfire-is-unlike-anything-weve-ever-seen/>

Scientific American 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Whether*climate change*will make fires more common in the region is
    an ongoing area of research. It's unclear if the Southeast will
    become wetter or drier due to*climate change*and that will have a
    big influence on future*wildfire*activity. The region*...*

    *Climate*models may be overestimating the cooling effect of*wildfire
    aerosols*
    <http://phys.org/news/2016-11-climate-overestimating-cooling-effect-wildfire.html>

Phys.Org 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    But a new study in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics by researchers
    at the MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change
    shows that at least one widely-used*climate model*is overestimating
    the cooling effect of these aerosol emissions by*...*

    How Obama's*climate change*legacy is weakened by US investment in
    dirty fuel
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/30/us-fossil-fuel-investment-obama-climate-change-legacy>

The Guardian 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    "There is a tension between Obama's strong efforts to
    reduce*greenhouse gas*emissions on the one hand and some of its
    lending activities abroad," said Michael Gerrard, director of the
    Sabin Center for*Climate Change*Law at Columbia University.

    Dramatic NatGeo photos show how*climate change*is transforming the
    world
    <http://mashable.com/2016/11/30/climate-change-photos-national-geographic/>

Mashable 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Dramatic NatGeo photos show how*climate change*is transforming the
    world. 443. Shares ... An ice cave in Iceland's Svínafellsjökull
    Glacier is rapidly expanding due to the effects of*global warming*.
    ... National Geographic this fall tasked its online*...*

    Trump and the GOP may be trying to kneecap*climate*research
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/nov/30/trump-and-the-gop-may-be-trying-to-kneecap-climate-research>

The Guardian 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

    First, he engaged in conspiratorial thinking by accusing the*climate
    science*community of blocking contrarian research. In reality, the
    3% of*climate*scientists who dispute the expert consensus on
    human-caused*global warming*are able to publish their*...*

    Despite*Climate Change*Vow, China Pushes to Dig More Coal
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/energy-environment/china-coal-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

    JINCHENG, China - America's uncertain stance toward*global
    warming*under the coming administration of Donald J. Trump has given
    China a leading role in the fight against*climate change*. It has
    called on the United States to recognize established ...

    Trump's stance on*climate change*puts him in direct opposition to
    the Pope
    <http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-climate-change-pope-francis-2016-11>

Business Insider 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Although he recently told the New York Times that there is “some
    connectivity” between humans and*climate change*, his future chief
    of staff, Reince Priebus, later told Fox News that Trump's default
    position is that*climate science*is “a bunch of bunk*...*

*This senator has given 150 pleas for climate action. Now, he has a few
words for Trump.
<http://grist.org/briefly/this-senator-has-given-150-pleas-for-climate-action-now-he-has-a-few-words-for-trump/>*

    video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GSUgCtOg0
    This week, Senator Whitehouse delivered his 150th "Time to Wake Up"
    speech on the Senate floor. Since the Spring of 2012, he has spoken
    out every week the Senate is in session about Congress's urgent duty
    to push back against the fossil fuel industry, heed the growing
    scientific consensus, and take action to the reduce carbon pollution
    that is driving unprecedented changes to our planet's climate. In
    today’s speech, he encourages President-elect Trump to listen to the
    voices of reason and expertise in our military and our scientific
    agencies, not to the industry lobbyists and front groups working to
    undermine science and deny the harmful effects of our carbon pollution.
    http://grist.org/briefly/this-senator-has-given-150-pleas-for-climate-action-now-he-has-a-few-words-for-trump/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GSUgCtOg0

*Frightened by Donald Trump? You don’t know the half of it* (Guardian,
George Monbiot column
<http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=e941bceab6&e=cab6c88302>)

*Cute Video - Save Our Snowmen *https://www.cooleffect.org/saveoursnowmen

*This Day in Climate History  December 1, 1987
<http://www.c-span.org/video/?20-1/Presidential>- from D.R. Tucker
*

    **December 1, 1987: During a Democratic presidential debate on NBC,
    Rep. Richard Gephardt states that the US must work with the Soviet
    Union on addressing international environmental issues such as the
    ozone layer and greenhouse gas emissions, noting, "The problem we've
    had with these issues is not that we don’t know what to talk about;
    the problem we’ve had is that America hasn’t been a leader."
    http://www.c-span.org/video/?20-1/Presidential (25:10—26:03)

*
*              ========================  #### ===========================

        *forward this email,
        * - select a story that interests you, then contact one
        candidate, or one representative in your government, one friend,
        or one neighbor and discuss the issue with them,
        I will add your name to the subscription list email
        contact at theclimate.vote
        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.