[TheClimate.Vote] Dec 3, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Dec 3 10:58:53 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  December 3, 2016/

*Scientists have long feared this ‘feedback’ to the climate system. Now
they say it’s happening*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/30/the-ground-beneath-our-feet-is-poised-to-make-global-warming-much-worse-scientists-find/?ct=t%28Carbon_Brief_Weekly_07_10_2016%29&utm_campaign=21200d37d6-Carbon_Brief_Weekly_02_12_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Weekly%20Carbon%20Briefing&utm_term=.835fc0af5052>

    Chris Mooney, Washington Post ....That feedback involves the
    planet’s soils, which are a massive repository of carbon due to the
    plants and roots that have grown and died in them, in many cases
    over vast time periods (plants pull in carbon from the air through
    photosynthesis and use it to fuel their growth). It has long been
    feared that as warming increases, the microorganisms living in these
    soils would respond by very naturally upping their rate of
    respiration, a process that in turn releases carbon dioxide or
    methane, leading greenhouse gases.....
    ...Crowther argues that until now, the science community has often
    left this potential carbon feedback from planetary soils out of its
    calculations because it wasn’t well enough understood. "The entire
    magnitude of this feedback was removed from several of the earth
    system models, the models that inform [the United Nations’
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change], because of its massive
    uncertainty," he says. ... The study gives "strong support to the
    hypothesis that soils will release a substantial amount of carbon in
    response to rising air temperatures,"...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/30/the-ground-beneath-our-feet-is-poised-to-make-global-warming-much-worse-scientists-find

    Bernie Sanders mocks House Science Committee for promoting article
    denying*climate change*
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bernie-sanders-climate-change-denial-us-government-science-body-breitbart-article-a7451431.html>

The Independent 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    The crux of the Breitbart article is that all changes in temperature
    can be attributed to the natural global weather patterns*El Niño*-
    which drove up temperatures in 2015, until the middle of this year -
    and*La Niña*which is kicking in now, lowering*...*

    Obama Quietly Undercutting*Climate*Legacy With Foreign Fossil Fuel
    Investments: Investigation
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/30/obama-quietly-undercutting-climate-legacy-foreign-fossil-fuel-investments>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Nov 30, 2016‎

    President Barack Obama's*climate*credentials are being undermined by
    a federal agency in his administration that is putting billions of
    taxpayer dollars into foreign fossil fuel projects.

Statement by Attorney General Lynch on the Dakota Access Pipeline
Protests <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlvkb_8_OOE>
Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch released a video statement today
(12-2-2016) regarding the Dakota Access Pipeline protests...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlvkb_8_OOE

    Desperate search for loved ones missing from Tennessee*wildfire*
    <http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-wildfire-eleven-dead-many-missing-gatlinburg-sevier-county/>

CBS News 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    Now with 11 confirmed deaths, the devastating*wildfire*in Tennessee
    has killed more people than any other U.S.*wildfire*in the last 13
    years. At least 80 people were injured, a number of people are still
    missing -- exactly how many is unknown - *...*

    House Science Committee's Twitter Promotes Article
    Mocking*Climate*'Alarmists'
    <http://www.snopes.com/2016/12/01/house-science-committees-twitter-promotes-article-mocking-climate-alarmists/>

snopes.com 	 -‎12 hours ago‎

    "The last three years may eventually come to be seen as the final
    death rattle of the*global warming*scare" was the message promoted
    by the influential congressional committee's official Twitter account.

    Sorry, There's No Reason To Think Ivanka Trump Will Be Our*Climate
    Change*Champion
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ivanka-trump-climate-change_us_5840609ee4b09e21702d3fda>

Huffington Post 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

    There's zero evidence Ivanka Trump will help make the fight
    against*climate change*a pillar of her father's administration,
    despite what some headlines may have led readers to believe.

*(audio) HEAL Utah Podcasts <http://www.healutah.org/heal-utah-podcast/>*

    http://www.healutah.org/heal-utah-podcast/
    Every week, the HEAL Utah Podcast takes a look at...Environmental
    issues, controversies and people at the heart of them. Our host,
    Executive Director, Matt Pacenza, interviews authors, activists,
    elected officials and environmentalists from Utah — and beyond.
    ..If you'd like to subscribe to the podcast — and get each week's
    new episode delivered magically to your phone or other device —
    here's the link to the iTunes feed for the HEAL Utah Podcast. If you
    use an Android app or another non iTunes method, paste this link —
    http://www.healutah.org/feed/podcast — into whatever app you use.
    * Episode #47: Derrick Jensen, "The Myth of Human Supremacy"
    <http://www.healutah.org/episode-47-derrick-jensen-myth-human-supremacy/>
    Episode #48: Kathleen Moore, "Great Tide Rising: Finding Clarity and
    Moral Courage to Confront Climate Change"
    <http://www.healutah.org/episode-48-kathleen-moore-great-tide-rising-finding-clarity-moral-courage-confront-climate-change/>
    Episode #56: Dr. Michael Mann, "The Madhouse Effect"
    <http://www.healutah.org/episode-56-dr-michael-mann-madhouse-effect/>

    Jeff Sessions Thinks Fighting*Climate Change*Will Hurt Poor People,
    Which, Huh?
    <http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2016/12/jeff_sessions_says_fighting_climate_change_would_hurt_poor_people.html>

Slate Magazine 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    In a November 2015 interview with a conservative Christian lobbying
    group's in-house podcast, Sessions said investing trillions into
    clean energy does "almost nothing" to fight*global warming*and makes
    it harder for people in poor countries to afford*......In a November
    2015 interview with a conservative Christian lobbying group*'*s
    in-house podcast, Sessions said investing trillions into clean
    energy does *"*almost nothing*"* to fight global warming and makes
    it harder for people in poor countries to afford electricity,
    according to audio obtained Thursday by the Huffington Post....*
    *The interview, which has since been removed from Family Research
    Council*'*s website, took place as world leaders gathered in Paris
    for the United Nations climate conference that yielded the historic
    climate agreement Trump now threatens to unravel..*.In a November
    2015 interview with a conservative Christian lobbying group's
    in-house podcast, Sessions said investing trillions into clean
    energy does "almost nothing" to fight global warming and makes it
    harder for people in poor countries to afford electricity, according
    to audio obtained Thursday by the Huffington Post...
    The interview, which has since been removed from Family Research
    Council's website, took place as world leaders gathered in Paris for
    the United Nations climate conference that yielded the historic
    climate agreement Trump now threatens to unravel.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/11/28/interview_on_cbc_about_trump_s_plan_to_gut_earth_science_at_nasa.html

    Your Money|You're Buying a Home. Have You Considered*Climate
    Change*?
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/your-money/youre-buying-a-home-have-you-considered-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    That was my conclusion, at least, after reading my colleague Ian
    Urbina's recent article about*climate change*and the residential
    real estate market.

    *Climate change*could spark major humanitarian crisis, experts say
    <https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/02/military-experts-climate-change-humanitarian-crisis/>

Engadget 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    The group said that even if the rise in*global warming*is held under
    2 degrees Celsius, there still could be a major humanitarian crisis
    to sort out...."We're going to see refugee problems on an
    unimaginable scale, potentially above 30 million people,"
    Muniruzzaman said. He also explained that with a 1 meter (3 foot)
    rise in sea level, Bangladesh could lose 20 percent of its land
    mass. "Climate change is the greatest security threat of the 21st
    century," he continued. Environmental factors are one cause of the
    massive European migration crisis and the group of military
    officials say those issues will continue to pose security risks and
    could provoke international conflict.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/02/military-experts-climate-change-humanitarian-crisis/

*This is the most dangerous time for our planet  Stephen Hawking
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/01/stephen-hawking-dangerous-time-planet-inequality?utm_source=Weekly+Carbon+Briefing&utm_campaign=21200d37d6-Carbon_Brief_Weekly_02_12_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3ff5ea836a-21200d37d6-303430725&ct=t%28Carbon_Brief_Weekly_07_10_2016%29>*

    ...So the recent apparent rejection of the elites in both America
    and Britain is surely aimed at me, as much as anyone. Whatever we
    might think about the decision by the British electorate to reject
    membership of the European Union and by the American public to
    embrace Donald Trump as their next president, there is no doubt in
    the minds of commentators that this was a cry of anger by people who
    felt they had been abandoned by their leaders....
    What matters now, far more than the choices made by these two
    electorates, is how the elites react. Should we, in turn, reject
    these votes as outpourings of crude populism that fail to take
    account of the facts, and attempt to circumvent or circumscribe the
    choices that they represent? I would argue that this would be a
    terrible mistake...
    For me, the really concerning aspect of this is that now, more than
    at any time in our history, our species needs to work together. We
    face awesome environmental challenges: climate change, food
    production, overpopulation, the decimation of other species,
    epidemic disease, acidification of the oceans....
    Together, they are a reminder that we are at the most dangerous
    moment in the development of humanity. We now have the technology to
    destroy the planet on which we live, but have not yet developed the
    ability to escape it. Perhaps in a few hundred years, we will have
    established human colonies amid the stars, but right now we only
    have one planet, and we need to work together to protect it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/01/stephen-hawking-dangerous-time-planet-inequality

*This Day in Climate History  December 3,  2009
<http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/380473>- from D.R. Tucker
*

    **December 3, 2009: MSNBC host Keith Olbermann calls out the hosts
    of the Fox News Channel program "Fox and Friends" for selectively
    editing a segment of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" to imply that
    host Jon Stewart rejected the evidence of human-caused climate
    change. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/380473

** ========================  #### ===========================

        *forward this email,
        * - select a story that interests you, then contact one
        candidate, or one representative in your government, one friend,
        or one neighbor and discuss the issue with them,
        I will add your name to the subscription list email
        contact at theclimate.vote
        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.