[TheClimate.Vote] Daily News of Global Warming Issues for voters, candidates and officials June 30, 2016

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Thu Jun 30 10:12:25 EDT 2016

/June 30, 2016     by forwarding this email you help keep voters and
candidates well-informed about global warming /

    Leaders' Statement on a North American*Climate*, Clean Energy, and
    Environment Partnership
    <https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/06/29/leaders-statement-north-american-climate-clean-energy-and-environment>

Whitehouse.gov (press release) 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

Building from ongoing efforts by our respective energy ministers through
the North American Energy Ministerial Memorandum Concerning*Climate
Change*and Energy Collaboration, a range of initiatives will support
this goal, including: ... Today, Mexico*...*

    After 6 years of working on*climate*at Harvard, I implore it to show
    the courage to divest
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/jun/29/after-6-years-of-working-on-climate-at-harvard-i-implore-it-to-show-the-courage-to-divest>

The Guardian 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

I had already interviewed survivors in cities and villages across the
country about the impacts of extreme weather. (And, incidentally, a few
weeks later, I would contract dengue and chikungunya—two mosquito-borne
diseases aided by*climate change*in*...an uncomfortable but unavoidable
question: does Harvard actually want to fix climate change, or does it
merely want to look like it wants to fix it? And perhaps more
troublingly: do we actually want to fix climate change, or are we just
going through the motions to save face, to avoid admitting to ourselves
that, deep down, we aren’t who we thought we were, that we actually
don’t care that much what happens to our children—or what happens to the
world?...when it comes to climate change, we—even those who profess to
care—are not doing everything we can—far from it. While people die
around the world, those with the privilege of choice confuse comfort
with necessity in order to justify inaction when it serves them. This is
our central cowardice, from individuals to institutions. And at Harvard,
it has assumed forms of absurdist logic and suppressed discussion...If
today’s youth wish to save themselves, they will have to rebel against
both the powerful and the respectable.
*

The world has the right climate goals — but the wrong ambition levels to
achieve them
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/06/29/a-sweeping-new-analysis-shows-why-our-planetary-carbon-math-is-still-falling-short/>
Washington Post-
...without more ambitious action on the part of individual countries,
global greenhouse gas emissions would still rise in the future, and
warming might peak at temperatures well above 2 degrees Celsius...Now,
in a study in Nature, a large team of researchers reaffirm this
troubling conclusion in a sweeping manner, by not only reexamining the
individual country pledges — also known as Intended Nationally
Determined Contributions, or INDCs — but also conducting a meta-analysis
of all the past analyses that have already determined that the Paris
pledges fall short..

    'Unprecedented': Scientists declare 'global*climate*emergency' after
    jet stream crosses equator
    <https://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/unprecedented-scientists-declare-global-climate-emergency-after-jet-stream-crosses-equator/>

Raw Story 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

“Like many extreme events resulting from human-forced*climate change*-
this co-mingling of upper level airs from one Hemisphere with another is
pretty fracking strange,” Scribbler explained.
*Gigantic Gravity Waves to Mix Summer With Winter? Wrecked Jet Stream
Now Runs From Pole-to-Pole
<https://robertscribbler.com/2016/06/28/gigantic-gravity-waves-to-mix-winter-with-summer-wrecked-jet-stream-now-runs-from-pole-to-pole/>*
It’s as if global warming were ringing the Earth’s atmosphere like some
great, cacophonous alarm bell. The upper level zonal winds are swinging
wildly from record high positive anomalies to record low negative
anomalies. Gravity waves — the kinds of big atmospheric waves that tend
to move air from the Tropics all the way to the Poles and are powerful
enough to cause the Caribbean Sea to ‘whistle’ in the satellite monitors
— are growing larger. And the Jet Stream now has redefined all
boundaries — flowing at times from the East Siberian Sea in the Arctic
across the Equator and all the way south to West Antarctica.  ...“Like
many extreme events resulting from human-forced climate change — this
co-mingling of upper level airs from one Hemisphere with another is
pretty fracking strange,” Scribbler explained. “Historically, the
Tropics — which produce the tallest and thickest air mass in the world —
have served as a mostly impenetrable barrier to upper level winds moving
from one Hemisphere to another. But as the Poles have warmed due to
human-forced climate change, the Hemispherical Jet Streams have moved
out of the Middle Latitudes more and more. ”...
“That’s bad news for seasonality,” he continued. “You get this
weather-destabilizing and extreme weather generating mixing of seasons
that is all part of a very difficult to deal with ‘Death of Winter’ type
scenario.”

    Conservative to Fund Republicans Who Back*Climate Change*Action
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/us/politics/jay-faison-republicans-elections-climate-change.html>

New York Times 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

Even as his party's presumptive presidential nominee denies the
existence of*global warming*, the businessman, Jay Faison, and his
ClearPath Action Fund will spend at least $2 million on digital media
campaigns to defend Senate incumbents running in two*...*

    The Paradox of American Farmers and*Climate Change*
    <http://fortune.com/2016/06/29/monsanto-farmers-climate-change/>

Fortune 	 -‎45 minutes ago‎

Kahan summed this up nicely in one of his papers: “Peoples' answers to
whether one 'believes in' human-caused*global warming*doesn't measure
what they know; it expresses who they are.” Kahan says it's no different
from the person who wears a ..

    Tragic lack of leadership puts red hot*climate change*out in the
    cold
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2016/jun/29/tragic-lack-of-leadership-put-red-hot-climate-change-out-in-the-cold>

The Guardian 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

So*climate change*and clean energy should have been the red-hot issue.
But instead, at least between the ALP and the Coalition, the reaction to
these seismic events was, mostly, meh.

    Broken Records Define The*Climate*Crisis
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/david-suzuki/broken-records-climate-crisis_b_10724404.html>

Huffington Post Canada 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

Despite overwhelming evidence for human-caused*climate change*, the
fossil fuel industry continues to employ shady people and organizations
to fool fearful and apparently blind followers into believing the
problem doesn't exist or isn't serious enough*...*

    'Houston, We Have a Problem': 4 Ways*Climate Change*Impacts Texas
    <https://ecowatch.com/2016/06/29/climate-change-impacts-texas/>

EcoWatch 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

In fact, Texas experienced 75 weather and*climate*disasters between 1980
and 2015, each of which produced at least a billion dollars in losses
(across the states in which they impacted), more than any other state.

*This Country Just Set A Major Renewable Energy Record
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/05/20/3780189/portugal-renewable-energy-record/>*
  Portugal set a record for renewable energy use. Through a combination
of hydroelectric, solar, and wind power, electricity use in the country
was completely covered for four consecutive days...The news was reported
by the Portuguese Renewable Energy Association (APREN) in collaboration
with ZERO System Sustainable Land Association. According to their
measurements, from 6:45 a.m. on Saturday, May 7 to approximately 5:45
p.m. on Wednesday, May 11, Portugal was able to rely entirely on
renewables for an impressive 107 hours, the longest the country has ever
been able to go.

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.