[TheClimate.Vote] Nov 29, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Tue Nov 29 09:13:27 EST 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming -  November 29, 2016/

    Pope urges world leaders not to hobble*climate change*pact
    <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-climatechange-idUSKBN13N1PH>

Reuters 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    Addressing a group of scientists that included theoretical physicist
    Stephen Hawking, the pope gave his strongest speech on the
    environment since the election of Trump, who has threatened to pull
    out of the 2015 Paris Agreement on*climate change*. "The*...*

*(comedy video) Denying Climate Change is Like Living in a Burning House
• Same Difference <https://youtu.be/h1qjKCxhLq4>*

    If you still don't understand why denying climate change is a
    problem, just imagine you're living with your family in a house...
    that's on fire.... https://youtu.be/h1qjKCxhLq4

      (audio) Hidden Brain : NPR Climate Change
      <http://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain>

    We didn't hear very much about climate change during this election
    cycle — and social science research might give us some insight as to
    why not. This week, an encore of one of our favorite episodes about
    why it's so hard for us to wrap our heads around climate change.
    http://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain

    The Trump Two-Step
    <http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/11/the-trump-two-step/508643/>

The Atlantic 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    Just last week, Groves called for the United States to leave the UN
    Framework Convention on*Climate Change*, the overarching treaty that
    governs how the world organizes itself to address*global warming*.
    Groves also said the U.S. should move to

    (unintentional satire?) Ivanka Trump is our best hope on*climate
    change*
    <http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/307696-ivanka-trump-is-our-best-hope-on-climate-change>

The Hill (blog) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    The other night, I came home from a meeting and kicked off my
    leopard print flats that bear Ivanka Trump's name. As a single mom,
    I cooked dinner alone for my two kids while they completed their
    homework.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/307696-ivanka-trump-is-our-best-hope-on-climate-change

    Danny Lyon on why he's naming and shaming '*climate*criminals'
    <https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/nov/28/danny-lyon-burn-zone-photographer-climate-change>

The Guardian 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    The pictures Lyon shot of this and other aspects of local*climate
    change*are moving, yet his new book isn't a simple ecological
    lament....has also included a list of 50 “Climate Criminals” in Burn
    Zone, detailing not only their names and alleged actions, but also
    telephone numbers, postal and email addresses, and social media
    handles. Vice-President-elect Mike Pence and the Koch brothers make
    the list, as well as many lesser-known fossil fuel executives and
    statesmen.
    https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/nov/28/danny-lyon-burn-zone-photographer-climate-change
    Burn Zone available on his site as a free PDF
    <https://dektol.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/burn-zone_blog.pdf>

*Climate goals abandoned as adaptation gap opens wide
<http://www.climatecodered.org/2016/11/climate-goals-abandoned-as-climate.html>*

    by David Spratt -  Here is a question we need to ask: are climate
    policy makers actually pursuing the goals they set themselves more
    than 20 years ago, or have the goals been abandoned, and are we
    falling fast through an "adaptation gap"?...
    Like the United Nations, the United Nations Framework Convention on
    Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Conference of the Parties (COP) are
    diplomatic fora, populated by professional representatives of
    national ruling elites, and subject to the diplomatic processes of
    negotiation, trade-offs and deals. Civil society sectors are
    excluded from formal decision-making....
    Decision-making is inclusive (by consensus), making outcomes hostage
    to national interests and lowest-common-denominator politics....
    ...evidence is accumulating that at just the current 1°C level of
    warming more elements of the system may be heading towards tipping
    points or experiencing qualitative change. These include the slowing
    of the major sea current known as the Atlantic conveyor, likely as a
    result of climate change; accelerating ice-mass loss from Greenland;
    declining carbon efficiency of the Amazon forests and other sinks;
    and the vulnerability of Arctic permafrost stores.
    http://www.climatecodered.org/2016/11/climate-goals-abandoned-as-climate.html

*Heat hits wheat yields per field
<http://climatenewsnetwork.net/heat-hits-wheat-yields/>*

    As demand for grain increases to feed a rising population,
    scientists warn that global warming could seriously reduce wheat
    productivity....
    For every 1°C rise in global average temperatures, the harvest per
    hectare of the grain that feeds more than half the planet will fall
    by an average of 5.7%...
    This average conceals huge variation at local levels. At Aswan in
    Egypt, a 1°C rise could reduce harvests by between 11% and 20%. At
    Krasnodar in Russia, productivity could fall by 4% or 7%...
    Global demand for food is likely to rise by 60% by mid-century, as
    the world’s population soars to an estimated 9 billion. And wheat is
    one of the staples that nourish the entire planet...
    Although 195 nations voted at the Paris climate conference last
    December to take steps to contain global warming to 1.5°C if
    possible, and 2°C at most, little concerted action has yet been taken...
    http://climatenewsnetwork.net/heat-hits-wheat-yields/
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-11/au-cmp112316.php
    http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n12/full/nclimate3115.html
    http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13530
    http://climatenewsnetwork.net/weather-extremes-slash-cereal-yields/

*This Day in Climate History  November 29, 2011
<http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/newt-gingrich-tries-to-rewrite-himself-on-climate-change-44142147788>-
from D.R. Tucker
*

    **November 29, 2011: MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell ridicules GOP
    presidential candidate Newt Gingrich's flip-flops on climate change...
    http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/newt-gingrich-tries-to-rewrite-himself-on-climate-change-44142147788
    http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/newt-rewrites-himself-climate-change
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45492139/ns/msnbc/t/last-word-lawrence-odonnell-tuesday-november/

        You may also subscribe/unsubscribe at
        Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard
        Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information
        for citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair
        use asserted.The .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and
        election purposes and cannot be used solely for commercial
        purposes. The list membership is confidential and records are
        scrupulously restricted to this mailing list.