[TheClimate.Vote] September 12, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Mon Sep 12 09:53:00 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming September 12, 2016/

*Financial Times: Investment threats in a changing climate*
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/32806d66-7698-11e6-bf48-b372cdb1043a.html#axzz4K0qb8E4o>

    *Global warming is a business issue that cannot be ignored any
    longer* .."If the world is to reduce the risk of catastrophic global
    warming to acceptable levels, there will have to be a huge
    reallocation of capital away from fossil fuels..."  ..The transition
    is not straightforward: for as long as oil is the lifeblood of the
    world’s transport, pipelines will be needed. ... when investors and
    boards make decisions about projects like Dakota Access, they will
    have to consider their impact on greenhouse gas emissions...The
    financial consequences of climate change can no longer be ignored.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/32806d66-7698-11e6-bf48-b372cdb1043a.html#ixzz4K0ro7r4f

*Who's Banking on the Dakota Access Pipeline?
<http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/news/who%27s-banking-dakota-access-pipeline>*

    Thousands of people, mostly Native Americans, have converged at the
    Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in North Dakota in an effort to stop
    the pipeline from being built. The Standing Rock Sioux call the
    pipeline a black snake, and they know that if it were to rupture and
    spill — a serious risk, given the well-documented history of
    pipeline leaks in the U.S. — it could poison their drinking water
    and pollute their sacred land....The Standing Rock Sioux are
    inspiring the world with their resistance against the pipeline. But
    it’s not just Big Oil and Gas that they’re opposing....Powerful oil
    and gas companies are taking appalling steps to override the Sioux’s
    objections, using their immense financial resources to push for
    building this pipeline, which will further line their pockets. But
    behind the companies building the pipeline is a set of even more
    powerful Wall Street corporations that might give you flashbacks to
    the 2007 financial crisis...

    Bioethicist: The climate crisis calls for fewer children - SFGate
    <http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bioethicist-The-climate-crisis-calls-for-fewer-9216434.php>

SFGate 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    NPR correspondent Jennifer Ludden profiled some of my work in
    procreative ethics with an article entitled, "Should we be having
    kids in the age of climate ...In my work, I suggest that 1.5-2
    degrees Celsius warming over preindustrial levels will be
    “dangerous” and “very bad,” while 4 degrees C will be “catastrophic”
    and will leave large segments of the Earth “largely uninhabitable by
    humans.” Here is a very brief survey of the evidence for those
    claims based on what I consider reputable sources.
    At 1.5-2 degrees C, a World Bank report predicts an increase in
    extreme weather events, deadly heat waves and severe water stress.
    Food production will decrease, and changing disease vectors will
    create unpredictable infectious disease outbreaks. Sea levels will
    rise, combining with increased storm severity to place coastal
    cities at risk. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that
    from the years 2030-2050 – as we reach this level of warming – at
    least 250,000 people will die every year from just some of the
    climate-related harms....Perhaps many of us in rich countries (the
    “us” who might be reading this) will be largely protected from these
    early harms; but that doesn’t make them less real to the vulnerable
    citizens of, say, Bangladesh, Kiribati or the Maldives. In fact, it
    escalates the injustice, as the global wealthy have benefited from
    and contributed to climate change the most, while the global poor
    will be hurt first and worst....At 4 degrees C warming, the World
    Bank predicts that every summer month will be hotter than any
    current record heat wave, making the Middle East, North Africa and
    the Mediterranean deadly during the summer months. Many coastal
    cities will be completely under water, and all low-lying island
    nations will likely have to be abandoned. Hundreds of millions, if
    not billions of people could become climate refugees, as their
    homelands become uninhabitable....Based on these descriptions, I
    stand by my predictions.

*Temperatures Rise, and We’re Cooked
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/temperatures-rise-and-were-cooked.html>*

    NYTimes ... obstinacy confronts a new wave of research showing that
    climate change is much more harmful than we had imagined....Until
    now, the focus has been on rising seas, more intense hurricanes,
    acidification of oceans, drought and crop failures. But new studies
    are finding that some of the most important effects will be directly
    on our bodies and minds....A clever new working paper by Jisung
    Park, a Ph.D. student in economics at Harvard, compared the
    performances of New York City students on 4.6 million exams with the
    day’s temperature. He found that students taking a New York State
    Regents exam on a 90-degree day have a 12 percent greater chance of
    failing than when the temperature is 72 degrees....The Regents exams
    help determine whether a student graduates and goes to college, and
    Park finds that when a student has the bad luck to have Regents
    exams fall on very hot days, he or she is slightly less likely to
    graduate on time....New York Times columnist Nick Kristof discusses
    the impact of human-caused climate change on the human body. ...Heat
    affects our bodies as well as our minds: As temperatures rise,
    people die. In India, a rise of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit in average
    daily temperatures leads to a 10 percent increase in the annual
    mortality rate. Even a single extra hot day leads to a noticeable
    jump in mortality....Even in the U.S., heat kills. A single day
    above 90 degrees increases the monthly mortality rate by more than 1
    percent, according to research by Olivier Deschenes and other
    economists....
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/temperatures-rise-and-were-cooked.html
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/temperatures-rise-and-were-cooked.html?smid=fb-share>

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates