[TheClimate.Vote] Sept 28, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Wed Sep 28 10:05:48 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates and stay well-informed
about global warming September 28, 2016 /

    The World Passes 400 PPM Threshold. Permanently
    <http://www.climatecentral.org/news/world-passes-400-ppm-threshold-permanently-20738>

Climate Central 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    In the centuries to come, history books will likely look back on
    September 2016 as a major milestone for the world's*climate*. At a
    time when atmospheric carbon dioxide is usually at its minimum, the
    monthly value failed to drop below 400 parts per million......The
    carbon dioxide we’ve already committed to the atmosphere has warmed
    the world about 1.8°F since the start of the industrial revolution.
    This year, in addition to marking the start of our new 400 ppm
    world, is also set to be the hottest year on record. The planet has
    edged right up against the 1.5°C (2.7°F) warming threshold, a key
    metric in last year’s Paris climate agreement.

    *Climate change*could wipe out many food cereals by 2070
    <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2107252-climate-change-could-wipe-out-many-food-cereals-by-2070/>

New Scientist 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    *Global warming*could rapidly threaten grasses including staple
    foods such as wheat and rice that provide half of all the calories
    consumed by humans....Wheat, rice, maize, rye, barley and sorghum
    are all edible grasses that yield nutritious grains. In many parts
    of the world and throughout history, wheat or rice famines have led
    to widespread starvation...The new research looked at the ability of
    236 grass species to adapt to new climatic niches – the local
    environments on which they depend for survival....Faced with rapid
    climate change, species wedded to a particular niche can survive if
    they move to another region where conditions are more suitable, or
    evolve to fit in with their altered surroundings....The study found
    that the predicted rate of climate change was typically 5,000 times
    faster than the estimated speed at which grasses could adapt to new
    niches....Grasses are an important food source for humans —
    especially rice, wheat and corn. And, they wrote, evolutionary
    adaptation seems particularly unlikely for domesticated species and
    even local declines may be devastating for some human populations.

    Teaching Middle Schoolers*Climate Change*Without Terrifying Them
    <http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/09/27/492860897/teaching-middle-schoolers-climate-change-without-terrifying-them>

NPR 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Bertha Vazquez has taught earth science for more than twenty-five
    years. "For many years I covered the basic standard, probably like
    most people in the country do....A study in the journal Science this
    spring found that half of U.S. science teachers spend less than two
    hours on climate change each year....And teachers in Florida may be
    no exception. Florida is one state that has not adopted somewhat
    newly designed science standards that are gaining popularity and
    teach about human-induced climate change....So, Vazquez says, the
    next day in class she resolved to do more. The school where she
    teaches, George Washington Carver Middle School, sits just eight
    feet above sea level; several of the surrounding neighborhoods are
    even lower....She thought, by the time her students were adults with
    families of their own, storm surges could bring waves lapping at
    their front doors. "If we just despair, it leads to inactivity," she
    says. "So I thought, 'If they're doing positive things, it will be
    helpful.' "...  Vazquez's students meet climate scientists in class
    and calculate how many desalination plants it would take to turn
    rising seas into a sustainable source of fresh water (too
    many)....Finally, there are students like Penny Richards. She says
    after a year in Vazquez's class, she reads climate news while she
    rides the bus to school....In class, ... she tries to balance the
    fear that comes with taking climate science seriously, and measured
    optimism.  She draws on examples of past environmental successes —
    like how the ozone layer is on the mend — to show what collective
    action can accomplish.... "In your lifetime, you're going to see a
    sea change," Vazquez explains to her students at the end of class.
    "I don't want you all to walk out of here like, 'Woe is me, it's
    going to be over!' "... Privately, though, she acknowledges a
    cognitive dissonance in teaching about the onset of a planet-sized
    crisis while smiling at sixth-graders.... "You can't depress the
    hell out of them ... if you want them to start looking for
    solutions," she says. "So I don't really go there. Do I feel that
    way personally? Yes ... but in class I put on my happy face.".... A
    pivotal moment in Vazquez's class often comes when her students open
    an app called Eyes on the Rise, where they plug in their address and
    learn how far they live above sea level...."One kid will say, 'I'm
    10 feet above sea level. I'm going to be OK,' " Vazquez explains.
    "I'll say 'Yeah, you'll be on a little hill, but what about
    everybody else around you? We're all in this boat together.'
    "....For students like seventh-grader Penny Richards — the one who
    reads climate news on the bus — that's a sobering moment. "Miami's
    basically at sea level. I live next to a canal," she reasons. "Life
    as we know it, we're going to have to move to an entirely different
    setting soon if we don't do something about this, because my entire
    neighborhood will be underwater." ....The operative phrase there, of
    course, is "do something." Penny and her classmates think we can.

    Deal emerges to curb*greenhouse-gas*emissions from aviation
    <http://www.nature.com/news/deal-emerges-to-curb-greenhouse-gas-emissions-from-aviation-1.20680>

Nature.com 	 -‎10 hours ago‎

    The International Civil Aviation Organization is mulling new rules
    to fight*climate change*. Governments will begin final negotiations
    this week on a plan to curb carbon emissions from international
    aircraft flights beginning in 2020.

    This court case will decide if Obama's signature*climate*policy goes
    down in flames
    <http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/9/27/13063282/clean-power-plan-dc-circuit-court>

Vox 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

    Last year, the Environmental Protection Agency finalized a
    far-reaching rule that would, for the first time ever, regulate
    carbon dioxide emissions from America's existing coal- and gas-fired
    power plants - one of the biggest sources of*climate**...*

    *Global Warming*Trend Warms the US West, Leaves East Shivering
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27092016/global-warming-trend-warms-only-us-west-leaves-east-shivering>

InsideClimate News 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    A pattern of warm and dry winters in the West, paired with frigid
    conditions in the East, has become more frequent since 1980, a trend
    that reflects the influence of*global warming*on the atmosphere in
    the Northern Hemisphere. The pattern, described ina new study in the
    journal Atmospheres
    <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016JD025116/full>as a
    "North American winter temperature dipole," has been costly,
    including a multi-year drought in California and economically
    disruptive snowstorms in the Northeast, according to the scientists
    who analyzed climate trends in North America....

    Links from various internet news sources curated by Richard Paulifor
    http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for citizens
    and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.The
    .VOTE domain must be used for democratic and election purposes and
    cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. The list membership
    is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted to this
    mailing list.
    Please forward this email freely, especially to your fellow
    citizens, representatives and candidates