[TheClimate.Vote] April 17, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Apr 17 11:18:16 EDT 2017

/April 17, 2017 /

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/business/bp-damaged-oil-well-alaskan-arctic.html
*BP Struggles to Control Damaged Well in Alaskan Arctic
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/business/bp-damaged-oil-well-alaskan-arctic.html>*
By Clifford Kraus

    The British oil giant BP worked through the weekend to control a
    damaged oil well in Alaska's remote North Slope that had started
    spewing natural gas vapors on Friday morning, the company and Alaska
    officials said...
    There have been no injuries nor reports of damage to wildlife, but
    crews trying to secure the well have so far failed amid frigid winds
    gusting to 38 miles an hour...
    Alaskan and federal officials have identified two leaks venting
    methane gas, a powerful greenhouse gas linked to climate change.
    While some crude has sprayed out of the well with the gas, BP said
    that infrared cameras on a flight over the site appeared to confirm
    that the oil released was contained on the gravel pad surrounding
    the well head and did not reach the tundra...
    The damaged well is on state land several miles outside the remote
    town of Deadhorse...
    "Crews are on the scene and are developing plans to bring the well
    under control," said Brett Clanton, a BP spokesman, "and safety will
    remain our top priority as we move through this process." He said
    that it was unknown how much gas had leaked, and that the company
    would investigate the causes of the accident after repairs were made..
    Oil workers operating near the well were evacuated because of the
    possibility of an explosion...
    There are large quantities of gas in the northern Alaskan fields
    around Prudhoe Bay in part because oil companies have been pumping
    excess gas back into the ground for decades since there are not
    enough pipelines to bring it to market....
    This was just the latest in a series of leaks from petroleum
    operations that have plagued Alaska in recent months, although leaks
    have been rare in the North Slope. Last week, divers placed a clamp
    over a gash in an underwater pipeline in Cook Inlet, halting the
    flow of millions of cubic feet of natural gas...
    Alaskan oil production has been in a sharp decline in recent years,
    as output from shale fields in Texas and North Dakota has come to
    dominate the industry. But the state may be poised for an oil
    renaissance, even after several companies have moved away from
    exploration offshore.

http://evidencesquared.com/ep7/ <http://evidencesquared.com/ep8/>
*(audio) Heartland Institute's misinformation campaign into schools
<http://evidencesquared.com/ep8/>*

    Last month, the Heartland Institute sent a climate denial booklet to
    25,000 teachers around the US. In episode 8 of Evidence Squared
    <http://evidencesquared.us15.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8a0f5ded9e53e63b39b708165&id=2d3719d6c7&e=e9d6004e11>,
    we look at the why and how of this book. What is the chief
    motivation for the book’s misinformation and what are the techniques
    they employ to cast doubt on climate science?
    You can listen to our episode and check out our extensive show notes
    at http://evidencesquared.com/ep8/

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/04/springfield_panel_discussion_e.html

    Springfield Arise for Social Justice panel explores ties between
    immigrants,*climate change*
    <http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/04/springfield_panel_discussion_e.html>

MassLive.com 	 -‎21 hours ago‎

SPRINGFIELD -- Immigration and*climate change*-- hot button topics in
the 2016 presidential campaign -- took center stage again Saturday, as
community organization Arise for Social Justice sought to highlight
links between the two issues.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/29/china-pollution-manufacturing-factory-health/99782622/
*11% of Chinese deaths due to air pollution tied to goods consumed in
the U.S. and Western Europe
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/29/china-pollution-manufacturing-factory-health/99782622/>*

    Air pollution from the manufacture of goods made in one part of the
    world but used in another killed more than 700,000 people globally
    in 2007, the most recent year for which figures were available for
    analysis, according to a new study in this week's Nature...
    Hardest hit were Asian countries, especially China, home to
    countless factories that produce choking levels of air pollution as
    well as popular export products such as smartphones, shoes and
    furniture. Most of the products and services driving those deaths,
    however, were bought or used in the United States and Western
    Europe. Researchers traced 11% of Chinese air-pollution deaths to
    goods and services used in the United States and western Europe, the
    biggest importers of Chinese products...
    "We may be benefitting from lower prices, but they may be coming at
    the expense of someone else's health," says study co-author Michael
    Brauer of Canada's University of British Columbia. "There is no free
    lunch."...
    The study's authors focused on lives lost to an especially hazardous
    form of contaminant called fine particulates. These microscopic bits
    of pollution, which can travel deep into the lungs, have been linked
    to lung cancer, stroke and other diseases. Fine particulates from
    power plants and factories are a main component of China's notorious
    air pollution. They're also far more deadly than ozone, another
    principal ingredient in dirty air.
    http://real-agenda.com/open-air-genocide-china/
    *Open-air Genocide in China
    <http://real-agenda.com/open-air-genocide-china/>*
    Both workers and people who live near industrial centres inevitably
    breathe heavily contaminated air around factories that manufacture
    electronics later sold in Europe and the United States...
    The huge air pollution generated by Chinese industry and displaced
    by the wind is associated with more than 3,100 premature deaths per
    year in Western Europe and the United States, according to a new
    international study....
    The voracious consumption of Chinese products in the EU and the US
    is linked to almost 110,000 premature deaths each year in China due
    to air pollution caused by industrial production that follows very
    relaxed environmental standards...

https://shadowproof.com/2017/04/16/unauthorized-disclosure-podcast-climate-change/

    (audio) Interview With Michael Mann: Climate Change Denial And
    Attacks On Scientists In Age Of Trump
    <https://shadowproof.com/2017/04/16/unauthorized-disclosure-podcast-climate-change/>

Shadowproof (blog) 	 -‎13 hours ago‎

    Hosts Rania Khalek and Kevin Gosztola are joined by Michael Mann,
    ...distinguished professor of atmospheric science at Penn State
    University. ..also ...the Penn State University Earth Science
    Center. And ...co-author of..., "The Madhouse Effect: How Climate
    Change Denial Is Destroying The Planet, Ruining Our Politics, and
    Driving Us Crazy."...
    Mann recounts his experience testifying before the House Committee
    on Science, Space, and Technology, which is chaired by Republican
    Representative Lamar Smith, a massive climate change denier.   He
    addresses the chilly atmosphere for scientists currently in
    Washington, DC, and talks about the dire situation the world finds
    itself on as President Donald Trump rolls back initiatives intended
    to combat climate change...
    Later in the show, Mann talks about why he wrote a satirical book
    about climate change. He also highlights the Science March planned
    for April 22, when scientists will mobilize against the Trump
    administration for its agenda of climate change denial and attacks
    on science...

https://futurism.com/joining-fight-against-climate-change-help-industry-thrive/

    Joining the Fight Against*Climate Change*Would Help This Industry
    Thrive
    <https://futurism.com/joining-fight-against-climate-change-help-industry-thrive/>

Futurism 	 -‎14 hours ago‎

Farmers have the political clout necessary to influence environmental
and*climate change*policies. Author Matthew Russell, a fifth-generation
farmer and the resilient agriculture coordinator at the Drake University
Agricultural Law Center, outlines*..*

http://radio.krcb.org/post/project-drawdown-aims-reverse-global-warming

    Project Drawdown Aims to Reverse Global Warming | KRCB
    <http://radio.krcb.org/post/project-drawdown-aims-reverse-global-warming>

KRCB 	 -‎15 hours ago‎

Drawdown" is the term used to describe the time when greenhouse gases in
the atmosphere have peaked and then begin to decline. A new book offers
a ...

http://www.eclectablog.com/2017/04/an-easter-photodiary-peeps-global-warming-4.html
*(humor) An Easter PHOTOdiary: Peeps & global warming
<http://www.eclectablog.com/2017/04/an-easter-photodiary-peeps-global-warming-4.html>*

    It's Easter Sunday and that can mean only one thing: it's time for
    the annual repost of our Peeps® post. ..
    We may be at a tipping point
    Spring came early to southern Michigan this year so on Good Friday,
    my wife Anne and I put our kayaks in the Huron River and set out to
    document the effects of global climate change on the wildlife of our
    area. What we found was both stunning and shocking...
    These are Map Turtles (Graptemys). They emerge in the spring after
    several months of hibernation deep in the mud of the river bottom.
    But this year, the have emerged much earlier than normal. And, if
    you ask me, they seemed a little "friskier" than usual, too.

<http://thecenterholds.com/2013/04/17/happy-anniversary/>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154
<http://thecenterholds.com/2013/04/17/happy-anniversary/>*This Day in
Climate History April 17, 2008
<http://thecenterholds.com/2013/04/17/happy-anniversary/> -  from D.R.
Tucker*

    Al Gore's Alliance for Climate Protection releases a commercial
    featuring House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, and former House
    Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican, calling for a bipartisan effort
    to address human-caused climate change. Gingrich is rhetorically
    flogged by right-wing bloggers for participating in the commercial,
    and later disavows it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COYhkzEXPI
    http://thecenterholds.com/2013/04/17/happy-anniversary/

////safely forward this email./

        . *** Privacy and Security: * NO collecting IP addresses.  This
        is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics nor images which
        may originate from remote servers. Text-only messages provide
        greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List