[TheClimate.Vote] August 4, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Aug 4 10:43:46 EDT 2017

/August 4, 2017/

*Dangerous Heat in the Western U.S. <http://www.weather.gov/>*
A dangerous heat wave continues to grip the West Coast states this week.
Temperatures will be greater than 15 degrees above normal and easily
exceed 100 degrees in many locations from portions of California &
Nevada into Oregon and southwest Washington. Some relief is forecast
this weekend, but it will remain hot. Read More >
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdspd
<http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdspd>
Learn more of the National Weather Service is at weather.gov/about
<http://www.weather.gov/about> http://www.weather.gov/about
The heat of summer is here. Head to weather.gov/heat
<http://www.weather.gov/heat> for information on how to avoid
heat-related illness. http://www.weather.gov/heat
http://www.weather.gov/
http://www.weather.gov/forecastmaps
-
*NASA Climate Prediction Center monthly Climate Outlooks
<http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/>*
August 2017    Revised OFFICIAL Forecasts
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/
Experimental Unofficial Two-class Monthly & Seasonal Climate Outlooks
<http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class.php>
Temperature:
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/t01.2c.gif
Precipitation:
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/p01.2c.gif
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class.php
How to Read the 2-class Three-Month Outlook maps
<http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class_seasonal_info.php>
  The contours on the map show the total probability (%) of two
categories, above, indicated by the letter "A", and below, indicated by
the letter "B". At any point on the map, the sum of the probabilities of
these two categories is 100%.
For any particular location, and season, these two categories are
defined from the 30 observations from 1981-2010. The coldest or driest
1/2 (15 years) define the B category, the warmest or wettest 1/2 (15
years) defines the A category.
When the forecasters decide that one of the extreme categories, say
above (A), is the most likely one, they assign probabilities which
exceed 50% to that category. This means that the chance of the opposite
category is the remaining part of the total (100%). In regions where the
forecasters have no indications favoring either A, or B, the chance of
these two categories is defined to be 50% each, and the region is
labeled "EC", which stands for equal chances.
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class_seasonal_info.php
-
*Seattle's air quality is worse than Beijing, Kolkata
<http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattles-air-quality-is-worse-than-beijing-kolkata/461795469>*
http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattles-air-quality-is-worse-than-beijing-kolkata/461795469

*The latest issue of International Climate Policy Magazine (N.47) is
out.
<https://issuu.com/iccg/docs/iccg_international_climate_policy_m_524e06acfa71b0>*
The bi-monthly magazine aims at providing a clear analysis of the
worldwide evolution of both international and domestic climate and
energy policies, as well as the carbon market.
In this edition:
- Paris Agreement "irreversible" for G20 leaders except for US
- Mission 2020 says don't be late and US mayors are answering the call
- Coal's fate sealed by unstoppable greening of the power sector
- Developments in CCS: time for direct air capture and CO2 re-use?
- GCF heads toward complex, pragmatic new phase
- The potential of localising climate change narratives
- Carbon markets: June – July 2017
International Climate Policy Magazine is realized by the ICCG, an
initiative of Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, whose activities focus on
the design of climate policy and related governance issues.
www.iccgov.org

*In Sweltering South, Climate Change Is Now a Workplace Hazard
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/us/politics/climate-change-trump-working-poor-activists.html?_r=0>*
In the sweltering Southern states, workers laboring  outdoors are
wrestling with the personal and political consequences of a worsening
environment.
"For too long, a lot of the climate change and global warming arguments
have been looking at melting ice and polar bears and not at the human
suffering side of it," Professor Bullard said. "They are still pushing
out the polar bear as the icon for climate change. The icon should be a
kid who is suffering from the negative impacts of climate change and
increased air pollution, or a family where rising water is endangering
their lives."
"You can't have freedom and justice in this country if you can't breathe
your air, if you can't open your window because of the toxic smells,"
Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, said. "It may not be a
billy club that is hitting you or a dog that is tearing your skin -
those images from the Civil Rights movement - but it is violence to the
body."
"We are kind of trapped. We don't have money to just pick up and leave.
We don't have options," Ms. Morales said. "Who knows how it is going to
affect me later? I don't know. How will it affect my kids? I don't know."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/us/politics/climate-change-trump-working-poor-activists.html?_r=0

*EPA chief Scott Pruitt can publicly downplay CO2's role in global
warming, EPA panel concludes
<https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/03/epas-scott-pruitt-can-deny-co2-role-in-global-warming-epa-panel-says.html>*
- An EPA panel found Scott Pruitt did not violate the agency's
Scientific Integrity Policy after the Sierra Club asked for an
investigation.
-Pruitt told CNBC in March that he does not believe carbon dioxide is a
primary contributor to global warming, contradicting the EPA's findings.
-The EPA panel said its Scientific Integrity Policy protected Pruitt's
right to express his opinion.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt did not
violate the agency's Scientific Integrity Policy when he expressed his
view that carbon dioxide is not the "primary contributor" to global
warming, a panel of EPA officials has concluded.
The decision came after the Sierra Club, an environmental group, filed a
complaint with the EPA's inspector general in March, which called for an
investigation into Pruitt's comments on CNBC's "Squawk Box."
"I think that measuring with precision human activity on the climate is
something very challenging to do and there's tremendous disagreement
about the degree of impact, so no, I would not agree that it's a primary
contributor to the global warming that we see," Pruitt said during a
March 9 appearance on "Squawk Box."
That statement contradicted the public stance of the EPA at the time. An
EPA web page that has since been edited read, "Carbon dioxide is the
primary greenhouse gas that is contributing to recent climate change."
In March, the Sierra Club contended that while Pruitt is within his
rights to advocate for policy changes, he is not allowed to distort the
basic science that underpins policies he opposes. It said the comment
contradicted decades of established science and violated three
principles of the EPA's Scientific Integrity Policy, including:
"When dealing with science, it is the responsibility of every EPA
employee to conduct, utilize, and communicate science with honesty,
integrity, and transparency, both within and outside the Agency."
"[P]olicy makers shall not knowingly misrepresent, exaggerate, or
downplay areas of scientific uncertainty associated with policy decisions."
"To operate an effective science and regulatory agency like the EPA, it
is also essential that political or other officials not suppress or
alter scientific findings."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/03/epas-scott-pruitt-can-deny-co2-role-in-global-warming-epa-panel-says.html

*How Do Refugee Teens Build Resilience?
<http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/07/30/540002667/how-do-refugee-teens-build-resilience>*
July 30, 2017   MAANVI SINGH
What does it mean to be resilient - to be able to face trauma and get
through it?
You're resilient if you're like a stick of bamboo - able to bend with
the winds rather than break in half. That's how psychologists like to
explain it.
But in different cultures, the source of that strength can be very
different. That's the finding in a study published in the journal Child
Development. The researchers interviewed Syrian tweens and teens who had
been displaced because of war.
"In the West, we tend to think of resilience as inner psychological
strength," says Catherine Panter-Brick, an anthropologist at Yale
University. "In the Middle East, resilience is more of a collective and
social strength."
Panter-Brick and her colleagues found that, for young refugees in
Jordan, friendship gives them the strength to endure.
I wanted to learn more so I interviewed some of the teens from the
study. For one 15-year-old Syrian girl in Jerash, Jordan, resilience is
"to mix with people, to not be introverted or alone." Another teenage
refugee in Jerash said it means she was able to adapt to her new home. A
16-year-old Syrian boy who has sought asylum in the nearby city of
Zarqua agrees. For him, resilience means "that I have Jordanian friends."
(The teenagers asked that their names not be used to protect their privacy.)
The researchers asked the young Syrian refugees about their hopes for
the future rather than the traumas they had suffered in the past.
"We're often so focused on documenting the negative impacts of war,"
says Panter-Brick. "But that is only half of the story. We found that
these young people actually prefer that you focus on their strengths
rather than their vulnerabilities, their dignity rather than their
misery, their capability rather than their vulnerability, and their
resources and their agency rather than their victimhood."
The young people said that resilience came from their ability to
integrate into their new communities, to go to school and to work toward
their dreams and ambitions.
The researchers used that insight to develop a quick survey to measure
resilience among adolescents who've been affected by the long conflict
in Syria. It's designed to help humanitarian aid groups track whether
their programs are working to improve the lives of young refugees.
The questionnaire asked young refugees to rank their reaction to
statements like "I feel supported by my friends" and "I feel my
community treats me with justice." Did the comments ring true? The
ranking was on a scale of one to five (with five being the most true).
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/07/30/540002667/how-do-refugee-teens-build-resilience

EPA Does About Face on Ozone:
<http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/345079-epa-walks-back-delay-of-obama-air-pollution-rule>
*EPA chief reverses decision to delay rules on emissions
<http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/epa-chief-reverses-decision-delay-rules-emissions-49001866>***http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/epa-chief-reverses-decision-delay-rules-emissions-49001866
EPA administrator Scott Pruitt reversed course on plans to delay an
Obama-era ozone pollution regulation, announcing Wednesday that EPA
would comply with the rule's original October 1 deadline. The move comes
a day after 15 states and the District of Columbia filed suit against
EPA for the delay, claiming that Pruitt's original plan to put a
one-year stay on implementation would endanger "the health and safety of
millions." In a statement announcing the decision, Pruitt claims EPA
"believe[s] in dialogue with, and being responsive to, our state
partners." The Obama-era standards would lower the amount of allowable
ground-level ozone from 75 parts per billion to 70ppb.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/345079-epa-walks-back-delay-of-obama-air-pollution-rule
-
*Even 'safe' ozone levels may be hard on the lungs
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-safe-ozone-idUSTRE57A5RN20090811>*
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Ozone concentrations below the current U.S.
clean-air standard may still temporarily impair lung function, even in
healthy young people, a small study suggests.
Ozone has been linked to inflammation in the lungs, and to breathing
problems. Researchers found that when 31 young adults exercised at
various levels of ozone exposure over several hours, participants'
average lung function began to deteriorate when ozone concentrations
stood at 70 parts per billion (ppb).
That is below the current U.S. National Ambient Air Quality Standard
(NAAQS), which states that people should be exposed to ozone levels of
no more than 75 ppb, averaged over 8 hours.
The findings essentially suggest that if healthy young adults exercise
outside at ozone levels of 70 ppb for several hours -- taking a long
hike, for instance -- about half will suffer respiratory symptoms like
coughing or pain during deep breathing, explained lead researcher Dr.
Edward S. Schelegle, of the University of California, Davis.
Typically, summer ozone levels hover between 50 and 60 ppb in the U.S.,
according to a 10-year study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The findings, reported in the American Journal of Respiratory and
Critical Care Medicine, are based on exercise tests of 31 non-smokers
between the ages of 18 and 25.
Schelegle and his colleagues had the men and women work out moderately
on a stationary bike or treadmill on five separate days. On each day,
participants exercised in six 50-minute bouts over 6.6 hours; over the
course of each day, they breathed either filtered air, or air containing
ozone concentrations of 60, 70, 80 or 87 ppb.
The researchers found that on average, exercisers' lung function
deteriorated after several hours of exposure to ozone levels of 70 ppb.
There was, however, significant variation from person to person; 19
percent showed a fairly strong sensitivity to ozone concentrations of 70
ppb, while some showed far lesser reactions.
Some others were particularly sensitive; 16 percent showed
*significantly decreased lung function when ozone levels stood at 60 ppb.**
***http://www.reuters.com/article/us-safe-ozone-idUSTRE57A5RN20090811

*Robert Mac on science comedy, part 2 <http://evidencesquared.com/ep18/>*
Our new podcast episode
<http://evidencesquared.us15.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8a0f5ded9e53e63b39b708165&id=a3ad6a899c&e=e9d6004e11>is
Part 2 of our interview with stand-up comedian Robert Mac on telling
Mormon jokes in Utah, the tension between accuracy and comedy, herd
mentality and the different types of laughs.
You can listen to our episode at http://evidencesquared.com/ep18/ or
download it directly from iTunes
<http://evidencesquared.us15.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8a0f5ded9e53e63b39b708165&id=291bbb0caf&e=e9d6004e11>or
Soundcloud.
<http://evidencesquared.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8a0f5ded9e53e63b39b708165&id=0f90f70fb5&e=e9d6004e11>
http://evidencesquared.com/ep18/

*This Day in Climate History August 4, 2009
<http://youtu.be/Ugma4WhLWFE> -  from D.R. Tucker*
August 4, 2009: MSNBC's Rachel Maddow interviews Virginia Rep. Tom
Perriello about a bizarre effort by the coal industry to fool members of
the House of Representatives into thinking that the NAACP and other
civil rights groups opposed the American Clean Energy and Security Act.
The next day, Maddow interviews New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone about the
matter.
http://youtu.be/Ugma4WhLWFE
http://youtu.be/qFijdjiSyvw

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List