[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 7, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Feb 7 09:16:57 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming -  Please forward this email.
February 7, 2017///

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/02/science_tv_shows_for_kids_on_nickelodeon_disney_and_pbs_ignore_climate_change.html
*Kids' TV Is Ignoring Climate Change
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/02/science_tv_shows_for_kids_on_nickelodeon_disney_and_pbs_ignore_climate_change.html>*

    Shows like Nature Cat and Sid the Science Kid teach children
    everything about wildlife and the environment—with one glaring
    exception.
    By Melinda Wenner Moyer -- .. from my 5-year-old .... when I
    mentioned climate change and he said: "What's that?"
    After a few more questions, I discovered that he's never heard any
    of his favorite science shows mention climate change or global
    warming. Which is strange, because according to overwhelming
    scientific consensus, climate change is one of the most important
    environmental issues of our time....
    After asking Nickelodeon spokeswoman Leslie Byxbee via e-mail
    whether the network has ever covered climate change, she replied
    that its nature- and science -themed shows, which include Dora the
    Explorer and Blaze and the Monster Machines, have discussed
    deforestation, alternative energy, ocean garbage, endangered
    animals, oil spills, and littering. Noticing that climate change was
    missing from this list, I followed up by asking: "Am I correct to
    infer from your answer that climate change has not specifically been
    addressed in any of your shows, although other environmental issues
    have?" Her reply suggested that my questions touched a sensitive
    button. "Actually no, that's not the inference I meant as your
    takeaway. All of the examples I gave are about the environment,
    which is related to climate change," she wrote. She added that one
    episode of Dora the Explorer was about melting snow, which is
    evidence that "concepts of changes to the environment have been used
    in plots." Hmm...
    ...it's because the network feels that focusing on "foundational
    science concepts" is "the most age-appropriate way to serve our
    audience." I don't know about you, but I'd rather my kid learn a
    little about the melting polar ice caps than accumulate yet another
    piece of trivia about colossal squids....
    My guess is that the networks are afraid that promoting the
    (extremely solid) science on a politically controversial issue will
    lead them to lose viewers or advertisers. But if that's true, and
    they're choosing their bottom line over the education of America's
    children, that's a real shame. Kids need to learn about the issue
    that threatens their planet if they're ever going to feel inspired
    to save it.

https://thinkprogress.org/once-cautious-climate-economist-warns-against-the-cost-of-trump-era-inaction-c19ff36ff964#.1nl0342mb
Once-cautious climate economist reverses course, issues warning against
the cost of inaction
<https://thinkprogress.org/once-cautious-climate-economist-warns-against-the-cost-of-trump-era-inaction-c19ff36ff964#.1nl0342mb>

    William Nordhaus says social cost of CO2 much higher than he
    thought, while team Trump says it is zero.
    Leading climate economist William Nordhaus — who had been an
    advocate of a “go slow” approach on climate policy — now says carbon
    pollution is much more damaging to the economy than he previously
    estimated.
    While the Yale economics professor has previously advocated for a
    very low carbon tax, his new analysis examining our “era of minimal
    climate policies” has changed his mind. Now Nordhaus says our
    dawdling has been costly — nearly doubling his calculation of the
    so-called social cost of carbon (SCC), which is the long-term damage
    caused by an additional ton of CO2 emissions (or, the benefit of a
    ton of CO2 reduction).
    Nordhaus warns that further inaction will lead to rapid climate
    change and incur increasingly greater costs.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-31/a-climate-change-economist-sounds-the-alarm
    A Climate Change Economist Sounds the Alarm
    <https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-31/a-climate-change-economist-sounds-the-alarm>
    In the early 1990s, Yale's William Nordhaus was among the first to
    examine the economics of reducing carbon emissions. Since then, he
    and colleagues have mixed climate physics with economic modeling to
    explore how various policies might play out both for global
    temperatures and growth. The approach attempts to weigh, in
    present-value terms, the costs of preventative measures against the
    future benefit of avoiding disaster.
    n his latest analysis, though, Nordhaus comes to a very different
    conclusion. Using a more accurate treatment of how carbon dioxide
    may affect temperatures, and how remaining uncertainties affect the
    likely economic outcomes, he finds that our current response to
    global warming is probably inadequate to prevent temperatures from
    rising more than 2 degrees Celsius above their pre-industrial
    levels, a stated goal of the Paris accords.
    Worse, the analysis suggests that the required carbon-dioxide
    reductions are beyond what's politically possible...
    *Nordhaus Study documen*t
    <http://cowles.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/pub/d20/d2057.pdf>
    http://cowles.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/pub/d20/d2057.pdf
    December 2016
    "The study confirms past estimates of likely rapid climate change
    over the next century if there are not major climate-change
    policies. It suggests that it will be extremely difficult to achieve
    the 2°C target of international agreements even if ambitious
    policies are introduced in the near term. The required carbon price
    needed to achieve current targets has risen over time as policies
    have been delayed."

https://www.cdp.net/en/cities
*Carbon Tracking for Cities:* <https://www.cdp.net/en/cities>

    Carbon Disclosure Project has just launched its reporting platform
    for cities
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=8b887aff72&e=95b355344d>,
    enabling cities to track their sustainability and climate efforts
    annually. CDP will host a webinar on Wednesday Feb 8
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=f5d0ed6002&e=95b355344d> and Wednesday
    Feb 15
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=593e8954a5&e=95b355344d> to
    train cities how to best use the tools and resources. More than 500
    cities
    <http://climatenexus.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d1f5797e59060083034310930&id=81d89d7e47&e=95b355344d> participated
    in CDP's climate change tracking in 2016.
    http://climatenexus.org/messaging-communication/current-events

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/12/22/14022114/solar-year-two-remarkable-facts
*2 remarkable facts that illustrate solar power's declining cost
<http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/12/22/14022114/solar-year-two-remarkable-facts>*

    It's not "the cheapest electricity in the world," but it's getting
    really cheap.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6e13c74c17ec527c4be72d64f&id=5659d20e00&e=30dc80e2f6
*Oil's methane emissions higher than feared
<http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6e13c74c17ec527c4be72d64f&id=5659d20e00&e=30dc80e2f6>*

    New study shows that oil production can result in methane emissions
    up to twice as high as estimated by 'simplistic' data collection
    systems.
    By Alex Kirby
    LONDON, 6 February, 2017 – Global methane emissions from oil
    production between 1980 and 2012 were far higher than previously
    thought – in some cases, as much as double the amount previously
    estimated, according to a new scientific study...The author of the
    study − which also includes emissions of another gas, ethane − says
    it is the first to take into account different production management
    systems and geological conditions around the world.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/01/trump_s_team_wants_to_recalculate_the_social_cost_of_carbon.html
*Here's One Way Trump's Team Could Manipulate Government Data
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/01/trump_s_team_wants_to_recalculate_the_social_cost_of_carbon.html>*

    "Would Trump try to meddle with the government's data-collection
    process?"
      His transition team is interested in doing exactly that. One of
    the first things that might be under attack? A number known as the
    "social cost of carbon."
    ...It has plans to recalculate the social cost of carbon, which has
    been called "the most important number you've never heard of."
    while the existence of the number is mandated, the calculation
    itself is still flexible. Currently, it is calculated by a group of
    scientists from multiple federal agencies every five years. Climate
    scientists first predict how much carbon dioxide will be emitted
    into the atmosphere in the future, how much temperatures will change
    as a result, and what kinds of damages will occur because of these
    changes. Demographers predict population growth while economists
    predict economic growth and quantify how climate change will affect
    such growth. They make similar calculations for other greenhouse
    gases, like methane, which comes from oil and gas operations and
    landfills....
    The social cost of carbon is recalculated every five years. When it
    was last calculated, in 2015, the cost was estimated at $36 per ton
    of carbon dioxide emissions. This was a substantial increase from
    the $21 calculation in 2010, which largely reflects the fact that
    the scientists' predictions for climate change impacts and damages
    have become more dire.
      the Trump administration is skeptical of the entire idea of a
    social cost of carbon. Last month, Thomas Pyle, Trump's Department
    of Energy transition leader, indicated in a leaked memo that the
    administration would review the calculation behind the social cost
    of carbon and aim to end its use in government decision-making. The
    memo stated, "If the [social cost of carbon] were subjected to the
    latest science, it would certainly be much lower than what the Obama
    administration has been using."  ...
    The number isn't set to be reassessed until 2020. Of course, Trump
    could try to assemble a new group of scientists and economists and
    adopt a much lower cost than the current consensus. Trump's "America
    Energy First Plan" is premised on the statement that "for too long,
    we've been held back by burdensome regulations on our energy
    industry." ...
    Scientists do think there needs to be more research, and the
    National Academy of Sciences recently released a new report offering
    recommendations for updating the standard. If it's recalculated
    using the latest research, the cost of carbon would be even higher....
    To recalculate this number at a lower rate, Trump-appointed
    scientists would need to perform some statistical gymnastics, though
    there are ways to attack certain aspects of the calculation that
    could significantly lower it. For instance, they could mess with the
    discount rate or try to limit the geographic scope of the analysis
    to only account for how climate change will affect America, rather
    than account for the global cost. ...
    Any attempt to stop using the social cost of carbon would be illegal
    and is sure to face legal action. A reassessment of the cost based
    on shoddy science would likely face the same. Either way, it's
    likely to be a battle.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gch2.201600008/abstract
*Inoculating the Public against Misinformation about Climate Change
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gch2.201600008/abstract>*
Abstract

    Effectively addressing climate change requires significant changes
    in individual and collective human behavior and decision-making.
    Yet, in light of the increasing politicization of (climate) science,
    and the attempts of vested-interest groups to undermine the
    scientific consensus on climate change through organized
    "disinformation campaigns," identifying ways to effectively engage
    with the public about the issue across the political spectrum has
    proven difficult. A growing body of research suggests that one
    promising way to counteract the politicization of science is to
    convey the high level of normative agreement ("consensus") among
    experts about the reality of human-caused climate change. Yet, much
    prior research examining public opinion dynamics in the context of
    climate change has done so under conditions with limited external
    validity. Moreover, no research to date has examined how to protect
    the public from the spread of influential misinformation about
    climate change. The current research bridges this divide by
    exploring how people evaluate and process consensus cues in a
    polarized information environment. Furthermore, evidence is provided
    that it is possible to pre-emptively protect ("inoculate") public
    attitudes about climate change against real-world misinformation.

http://youtu.be/5k267NdmiFY
*This Day in Climate History  February 7, 2007
<http://youtu.be/5k267NdmiFY> -  from D.R. Tucker*
Air America host Betsy Rosenberg and Competitive Enterprise Institute
representative Chris Horner discuss the recently released 4th IPCC
report on the Fox News Channel program "Hannity and Colmes."

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .