[TheClimate.Vote] July 23, 2017 Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli d149er2c at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 09:45:41 EDT 2017

July 23, 2017

*Bill Nye on the terrifying ascendancy of American 'dingbatitude'*
<http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-ol-patt-morrison-bill-nye-science-20170719-htmlstory.html>

*One of your book chapters is “everybody knows something you don’t.” But
here’s a cartoon from “The New Yorker.” It’s a man standing on a plane with
his hand in the air, and he’s yelling -*
- hand in the air, facing the passengers, most of whom have their hands up.
And he says, “These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers
like us. Who thinks I should fly this plane?”
http://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/New-
Yorker-Cartoon-Hands-Up-Airplane-Original-w-border-e1483408184427.png
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-ol-patt-morrison-bil
l-nye-science-20170719-htmlstory.html

(Two comedians discussing of Global Warming)
*Years of Living Dangerously* <https://youtu.be/aUMT3ohG_-I>
Senator Al Franken tells David Letterman about who is behind a lot of the
inaction in Washington on climate change. He calls them "Siegfried" and
"Roy," and they have Franken's Republican colleagues running scared. Who
are these guys?
https://youtu.be/ir7DdSFlI58
https://youtu.be/aUMT3ohG_-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLZeeE_4nI

*Heat doesn’t just make us cranky. It makes us dumb shoppers
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/21/heat-doesnt-just-make-us-cranky-it-makes-us-dumb-shoppers/?utm_term=.034f67bebe3a>.*
But beyond heat stroke, we can also get, if you’ll allow me to coin a
phrase, “heat foolish.”
A host of research suggests that as it gets hotter, people tend to make
worse decisions: Not only do we get more ornery and cranky — we can also
make unwise long-term decisions whose effects we’ll feel well after the
temperature has dropped...
Two studies of major league beanballs prove this. In one analysis of 826
professional baseball games, a team of researchers concluded pitchers were
more likely to intentionally throw pitches at batters (and therefore more
likely to hit them) on hotter days. The researchers found that nearly twice
as many batters are hit per game when temperatures are 90 degrees or higher
than when they’re below 70 and ruled out wilder pitches because of sweaty
hands as the cause...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/21/heat-
doesnt-just-make-us-cranky-it-makes-us-dumb-shoppers/?utm_term=.034f67bebe3a

*Joy plots for climate change*
<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/07/joy-plots-for-climate-change/>
Many of you will be familiar with the iconic cover of Joy Division’s
Unknown Pleasures album, but maybe fewer will know that it’s a plot of
signals from a pulsar (check out this Scientific American article on the
history). The length of the line is matched to the frequency of the pulsing
so that successive pulses are plotted almost on top of each other. For many
years this kind of plot did not have a well-known designation until, in
fact, April this year: So “joy plots” it is.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/07/joy-pl
ots-for-climate-change/

*This Day in Climate History July 23, 1979
<http://web.archive.org/web/20150820002948/http://people.atmos.ucla.edu/brianpm/download/charney_report.pdf>
-
 from D.R. Tucker*
July 23, 1979: The National Academy of Sciences begins work on a
groundbreaking report regarding the risks of carbon pollution. The report
makes it clear that the consequences of a warming world will be severe.
http://web.archive.org/web/20150820002948/
http://people.atmos.ucla.edu/brianpm/download/charney_report.pdf
http://youtu.be/XB3S0fnOr0M
To Unsubscribe, subject:  unsubscribe
Also you may  subscribe/unsubscribe at  https://pairlist10.pair.ne
t/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.vote
http://TheClimate.Vote <http://theclimate.vote/>   delivering succinct
information for citizens and responsible governments of