[TheClimate.Vote] June 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jun 3 09:53:45 EDT 2017

*June 3, 2017*

*Trump's Insulting Paris Accord Withdrawal
<http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/angela-merkel-and-the-insult-of-trumps-paris-climate-accord-withdrawal>*
By Amy Davidson
Angela Merkel seems to have had it with Trump, his flashy contempt for
the climate deal, and his disrespect of his fellow world leaders.
"The time in which we could fully rely on others is a bit in the past,"
Merkel said. "I have experienced that in the past several days. And,
because of that, I can say now that we Europeans truly have to take our
fate into our own hands-naturally, in friendship with the United States
of America, in friendship with Great Britain, as good neighbors wherever
that may work, with Russia and other countries." It was striking that
America was just another name on the list. Merkel continued, "But we
must understand that we must fight for our future, as Europeans, for our
own fate-and that I will gladly do with you." The "you" there was the
Germans in the tent.
On this, she was speaking to the German mainstream. Her opponent in the
September elections, Martin Schulz, the leader of the more
left-of-center Social Democratic Party, gave a speech at a Party
gathering in a far less measured tone, in which he directly called
Trump's treatment of "our Chancellor" unacceptable, indeed unbearable.
He later called Trump "a destroyer of all Western values such as we have
never before experienced in this form."..
http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/angela-merkel-and-the-insult-of-trumps-paris-climate-accord-withdrawal

*Are we over reacting to US withdrawal from the Paris Agreement on
climate?
<https://theconversation.com/are-we-overreacting-to-us-withdrawal-from-the-paris-agreement-on-climate-78741>*
Nives Dolsak, University of Washington; Aseem Prakash, University of
Washington
The Trump administration has already sought to reverse several Obama-era
climate change policies. Pro-environment people should now focus on
threats to state climate actions.
https://theconversation.com/are-we-overreacting-to-us-withdrawal-from-the-paris-agreement-on-climate-78741

*(video) Mitigate, Adapt, or Suffer. Connecting Global Change to Local
Impacts and Solutions - May 17, 2017
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlcQPWmq3c4>*
Dr Katharine Hayhoe
Katharine Hayhoe is an atmospheric scientist whose research focuses on
developing and applying high-resolution climate projections to
understand what climate change means for people and the natural
environment.
Katharine spoke at the Climate Change Science Institute at Oak Ridge
National Laboratory. Her presentation touched on the science and policy
of climate change, the kind of impacts we may see globally and locally,
what options and information we have to be prepared for these changes,
and ways that non-scientists can effectively to discuss these issues
with the general public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlcQPWmq3c4

    A giant crack in Antarctic ice is 'days or weeks' from breaking off
    a Delaware-size iceberg
    <http://www.businessinsider.com/antarctica-giant-iceberg-breaking-off-2017-6>

- A giant crack in one of Antarctica's largest ice shelves is about to
break off a Delaware-size block of ice.
- The crack in the ice shelf, called Larsen C, has forked toward the
Southern Ocean and is growing rapidly.
- Scientists think a glacier behind the ice block could destabilize
after the calving event.
An Antarctic ice shelf that has existed for thousands of years is about
to shed a 1,000-foot-thick block of ice that's roughly the size of Delaware.
New satellite images show that an enormous crack or rift in the Larsen C
ice shelf has suddenly forked and accelerated toward the Southern Ocean.
Scientists can't say exactly when the rift will snap off the block,
which makes up about 10% of Larsen C's total area. However, Dan McGrath,
a scientist with the US Geological Survey, says it won't be long.
http://www.businessinsider.com/antarctica-giant-iceberg-breaking-off-2017-6

*Why Abandoning Paris Is a Disaster for America
<https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/01/why-abandoning-paris-climate-agreement-is-bad-for-america-trump/>*
...how Trump's rejection of the global climate change agreement is a
monumental blunder.
... But the decision to remove the United States from the
long-negotiated, hard-fought, international agreement is no sideshow.
This is about what's in the best interests of American prosperity and
security.
The president's justifications for leaving the agreement are also just
plain wrong.
First, contrary to the president's assertions, America's hands are not
tied and its sovereignty is not compromised by the Paris climate pact.
The Paris agreement is an accord, not a treaty, which means it's
voluntary. The genius (and reality) of the Paris agreement is that it
requires no particular policies at all - nor are the emissions targets
that countries committed to legally binding.
The second big lie is that the Paris agreement will be a job killer. In
fact, it will help the United States capture more 21st-century jobs...
*The Trump administration is hastening catastrophic effects of climate
change.* Scientists and economists now state with confidence that the
failure to act to arrest and mitigate global climate change will have
devastating global consequences, including for young Americans alive
today and for their children and grandchildren. ..
Heading off the worst effects of climate change requires global action:
Action by one country alone, no matter how powerful, cannot address the
threat. But our country, one of the world's two largest carbon emitters,
does have significant power to improve not just our own climate, but the
world's - and Trump's decision takes us in the wrong direction. That's
especially tragic in light of the signature achievement of the Paris
Agreement, which was to get every country on board; now China and India
have made the same commitments the United States and other highly
developed countries have. It binds us all together through a political
agreement - but the strength of that agreement depends on all of us
meeting our nationally determined responsibilities.
*Trump is abdicating U.S. leadership and inviting China to fill the
void.* It will give Chinese and other countries' companies a leg up in
the growing and competitive green economy, putting U.S. companies at a
serious disadvantage.
*Withdrawing from Paris will damage U.S. standing in the world. *Pulling
out of Paris will call into question the word of the United States and
weaken our ability to call on other countries to work with us on other
global threats, such as global terrorism and global pandemics
*Pulling out of Paris means Republicans own climate catastrophes. *Just
as President Barack Obama bequeathed to the Trump/Paul Ryan/Mitch
McConnell team a workable framework for ensuring health care coverage,
President Trump inherited a workable framework for global climate
action. The Republicans have chosen to pour sand in the gas tank of
Obamacare, using the levers of government to attempt to make the
Affordable Care Act fail even as they themselves fail to deliver a real
alternative.
*Trump's pulling out of Paris means that the rest of us are called upon
to do more - and we will.* Even as the White House abandons the pact,
there are plenty of ways for Americans to advance its goals. Many state
and local governments are already tackling energy efficiency and
emissions reductions. California, the sixth-largest economy in the
world, will not abandon its emission standards.....
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/01/why-abandoning-paris-climate-agreement-is-bad-for-america-trump/

*Donald Trump's "Screw You" to the World
<http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/donald-trumps-screw-you-to-the-world>*
By John Cassidy
The President represented the Paris Agreement as the work of scheming
foreigners, conspiring against the United States...
This was Trumpism in its full glory-the world as a conspiracy against
its sole superpower, a country that accounts for a quarter of global
G.D.P. and about forty per cent of global personal wealth. "At what
point does America get demeaned?" Trump demanded, his voice rising. "At
what point do they start laughing at us as a country?"
The answer is that the laughing stopped a good while back. What once
seemed like a punch line-Donald Trump in the White House-is now an
everyday reality that the rest of the world is trying to deal with.
After this latest display of nihilism, it only seems more alarming.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/donald-trumps-screw-you-to-the-world

*Here are the 17 executives who met with Trump for his first business
advisory council,
<http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-on-trump-business-advisory-council-2017-2/>*
Business Insider, Feb 3, 2017

*Elon Musk Quits Trump's Advisory Councils After President Pulls US From
Paris Accord
<https://www.buzzfeed.com/priya/musk-quits-trumps-advisory-councils-after-paris>**,*
Buzzfeed, June 1, 2017.
*
**Disney CEO Bob Iger quits Trump advisory team as 'matter of principle'
<http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/01/media/disney-ceo-bob-iger-trump-advisory-board/>**,*
CNN Money, June 2, 2017
*
**White House debate on Paris was never about climate change
<http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/06/02/white-house-debate-paris-never-climate-change/>*
The wrangling between Trump's advisors was always about how best to burn
more fossil fuels
By Graham Readfearn
As United States President Donald Trump was deliberating his country's
future in the Paris climate deal, there were two internal camps
marshalling their arguments.
But the wrangling in the White House was not a debate about climate
change. It was over how best to burn more fossil fuels.
In one corner were the fossil fuel apologists, the climate science
denialists and the network of conservative think tanks that have used
conflicted cash to keep their arguments flowing.
For them, leaving the United Nations pact would help the US regain a
competitive advantage and put their economic prosperity first. The costs
of climate change impacts were never factored, because for them, they do
not exist.
In the other corner, there were groups who, on the face of it, seemed
unlikely bedfellows.
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/06/02/white-house-debate-paris-never-climate-change/

    A Farm Journalist Tells Farmers What They'd Rather Not Hear
    About*Climate Change*
    <http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/02/531223294/a-farm-journalist-tells-farmers-what-theyd-rather-not-hear-about-climate-change>

When President Trump announced this week that he was taking the United
States out of the Paris climate agreement, there were swift and vocal
reactions from many industries -- but most of the organizations that
represent American agriculture were silent.
*Do you see attitudes in farm country changing at all?*
Slowly and surely, I think. Part of the challenge that farmers have
right now is the fact that even if the administration tells us that
we're not going to do anything differently, there's a push down the
supply chain to lower emissions. It starts at Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart is
telling food suppliers that I want lower emissions, and lower fertilizer
use on corn acreage, it's getting back to the farmer. You've got
companies like Cargill and Unilever that have made these commitments to
lower emissions and lower water use. So farmers are going to be asked to
make these changes, but nobody is going to be paying them more for it.
And this is what's lost when you don't have a policy.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/02/531223294/a-farm-journalist-tells-farmers-what-theyd-rather-not-hear-about-climate-change

    How to Watch Today's Sean Spicer Shitshow, With Special Guest Scott
    Pruitt From the EPA
    <http://gizmodo.com/how-to-watch-todays-sean-spicer-shitshow-with-special-1795759717>

The briefing is streaming on YouTube and on Facebook and is scheduled to
start at 1:30pm Eastern, 10:30am Pacific time. And while the Larsen C
Ice Shelf in Antarctica doesn't have an official time zone, a crack in
it has grown 11 miles in just six days andit's about to break off
completely
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2017/06/01/massive-iceberg-break-off-antarctica-crack-expands-11-miles/102385980/>.
So let's just call that o'shit o'clock.
*(video) Press Briefing with Press Secretary Sean Spicer and
Administrator of the EPA Scott Pruitt
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UmMOUzbN3w>*
White House Press Briefings are conducted most weekdays from the James
S. Brady Press Briefing Room in the West Wing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UmMOUzbN3w
http://gizmodo.com/how-to-watch-todays-sean-spicer-shitshow-with-special-1795759717

*(Sarcasm) Calling Earth a "Loser," Trump Vows to Make Better Deal with
New Planet
<http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/calling-earth-a-loser-trump-vows-to-make-better-deal-with-new-planet>*
Andy Borowitz
"Earth is a terrible, very bad planet," he told the White House press
corps. "It's maybe the worst planet in the solar system, and it's far
from the biggest."
Trump blasted former President Barack Obama for signing deals that
committed the United States to remain on the planet Earth indefinitely.
"Obama is almost as big a loser as Earth," Trump said. "If Obama was a
planet, guess what planet he'd be? That's right: Earth."
When asked which planet he would make a new deal with, Trump offered few
specifics, saying only, "The solar system has millions of terrific
planets, and they're all better than Earth, which is a sick, failing loser."
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/calling-earth-a-loser-trump-vows-to-make-better-deal-with-new-planet

<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30E15FC355D167493C1A9178DD85F438785F9>*This
Day in Climate History June 3, 1977
<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30E15FC355D167493C1A9178DD85F438785F9><http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30E15FC355D167493C1A9178DD85F438785F9>-
from D.R. Tucker*
*Climate Peril May Force Limits On Coal and Oil, Carter Aide Says
* In the New York Times, *Walter Sullivan *reports:
To avoid accumulation in the air of sufficient carbon dioxide to cause
major climate changes, it may ultimately be necessary to restrict the
burning of coal and other fossil fuels, according to Dr. William D.
Nordhaus of the President's Council of Economic Advisers.
This would limit the dependence on coal that, under present policy, is
to replace rapid expansion of nuclear energy.
Dr. Nordhaus, who is on leave from his post as professor of economics at
Yale University, told this week's spring meeting of the American
Geophysical Union in Washington that by early in the next century, the
burning of coal, oil and as might have to be curtailed by taxation or
rationing.
He said he was speaking as an individual and not presenting a Government
policy. He has been investigating the climatic and economic implications
of carbon dioxide accumulation, having also worked on the problem at the
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis near Vienna.

He cited estimates that if the trend toward heavy use of fossil fuels
continued, by early in the next century the level of carbon dioxide in
the atmosphere will have doubled. This, it has been proposed, could make
the worldwide climate warmer than at any time in the last 100,000 years..
Dr. Nordhaus's argument was based in part on calculations by Dr. Wallace
S. Broecker of Columbia University's Lamont‐Doherty Geological
Observatory, who also presented a report. Each ton of coal or other
fossil fuel burned, he said, produces three tons of carbon dioxide.
*
**Gas Acts Like Greenhouse Glass*
In the atmosphere carbon dioxide acts much like the glass of a
greenhouse. It readily permits the passage of sunlight, warming the
earth, but it inhibits the escape of heat into space as infrared radiation.
While carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere by absorption into
the oceans and incorporation into trees and other plants, these
processes have been unable to keep pace with the addition of the gas
from smokestacks, automobile exhaust and other sources.
If, as now seems likely, the development of nuclear energy is slowed in
favor of heavier coal consumption, a more rapid rise in atmospheric
carbon dioxide must be expected. While there is still muchuncertainty as
to how much of an increase could occur without major influences on
climate, Dr. Nordhaus proposed that within 40 years severe restraints
might become necessary.
He cited Dr. Broecker's estimate that by 1985 to 1990, there will have
been a 20 percent increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide, leading to a
mean global warming of about one degree Fahrenheit. This would still be
within the range of naturally occurring changes over the last 100,000
years, Dr. Nordhaus said.
In that period, which included the last ice age, the fluctuations
remained within 10 degrees, but the current climate is near the upper
(warmer) limit of that range. Dr. Nordhaus referred to an analysis by
Dr. Syukuro Manabe and R. T. Wetherald at Princeton University's Fluid
Dynamics Laboratory, which predicted a rise of almost six degrees if the
carbon dioxide doubles.

*Serious Consequence Feared*
This would exceed the fluctuations of the last 100,000 years, deduced
from analysis of ocean sediments and cores from ice sheet drill holes,
and could have serious consequences. Dr. Nordhaus also noted that the
Princeton studies indicated a far more marked warming in the polar
regions than near the Equator.
In the long run, as noted by Dr. Broecker, this could melt polar ice,
raising sea levels enough to flood many coastal cities and food
producing areas.
To limit the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the air to an increase of
100 per cent, he suggested an escalating tax schedule that would impose
14 cents a ton of released gas in 1980, increasing to $87.15 a ton by 2100.
This would force energy consumers to shift to other sources, such as
nuclear energy, which he termed presently “the only proven large‐scale
and low‐cost alternative.” The shift from carbon‐based fuels would not
reach major proportions until about 40 years hence.
By then energy sources now at an early stage of development, such as
solar power and atomic fusion, might be able to contribute electric
power and noncarbon fuels.

Since the United States contributes 10 to 20 percent of the carbon
dioxide, any solution must be international, Dr. Nordhaus said. It will
be “expensive, but not unthinkable,” he added.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30E15FC355D167493C1A9178DD85F438785F9/
////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List