[TheClimate.Vote] June 27, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jun 27 09:30:03 EDT 2017

/June 27, 2017/

    Pension funds pressed to protect portfolios from climate change
    <https://www.ft.com/content/8fdb4768-581c-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f>

Only one in 20 pension schemes in Europe has taken steps to combat the
risks of climate change, in spite of mounting warnings that global
warming poses a ...
https://www.ft.com/content/8fdb4768-581c-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f

    New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly   -  John Abraham
    <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/26/new-study-confirms-the-oceans-are-warming-rapidly>

Although there's some uncertainty in the distribution among Earth's
ocean basins, there's no question that the ocean is heating rapidly
The most important measurement of global warming is in the oceans. In
fact, "global warming" is really "ocean warming." If you are going to
measure the changing climate of the oceans, you need to have many
sensors spread out across the globe that take measurements from the
ocean surface to the very depths of the waters. Importantly, you need to
have measurements that span decades so a long-term trend can be
established. ..
These difficulties are tackled by oceanographers, and a significant
advancement was presented in a paper just published in the journal
Climate Dynamics.
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-017-3751-5> That
paper, which I was fortunate to be involved with, looked at three
different ocean temperature measurements made by three different groups.
We found that regardless of whose data was used or where the data was
gathered, the oceans are warming...
In plain English, it will be important that we keep high-quality
temperature sensors positioned throughout the oceans so in the future we
will be able to predict where our climate is headed. We say in science
that a measurement not made is a measurement lost forever. And there are
no more important measurements than of heating of the oceans.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/26/new-study-confirms-the-oceans-are-warming-rapidly
- more:
*Consensuses and discrepancies of basin-scale ocean heat content changes
in different ocean analyses
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-017-3751-5>*

    Abstract
    Inconsistent global/basin ocean heat content (OHC) changes were
    found in different ocean subsurface temperature analyses, especially
    in recent studies related to the slowdown in global surface
    temperature rise. This finding challenges the reliability of the
    ocean subsurface temperature analyses and motivates a more
    comprehensive inter-comparison between the analyses. Here we compare
    the OHC changes in three ocean analyses (Ishii, EN4 and IAP) to
    investigate the uncertainty in OHC in four major ocean basins from
    decadal to multi-decadal scales. First, all products show an
    increase of OHC since 1970 in each ocean basin revealing a robust
    warming, although the warming rates are not identical. The
    geographical patterns, the key modes and the vertical structure of
    OHC changes are consistent among the three datasets, implying that
    the main OHC variabilities can be robustly represented. However,
    large discrepancies are found in the percentage of basinal ocean
    heating related to the global ocean, with the largest differences in
    the Pacific and Southern Ocean. Meanwhile, we find a large
    discrepancy of ocean heat storage in different layers, especially
    within 300–700 m in the Pacific and Southern Oceans. Furthermore,
    the near surface analysis of Ishii and IAP are consistent with sea
    surface temperature (SST) products, but EN4 is found to
    underestimate the long-term trend. Compared with ocean heat storage
    derived from the atmospheric budget equation, all products show
    consistent seasonal cycles of OHC in the upper 1500 m especially
    during 2008 to 2012. Overall, our analyses further the understanding
    of the observed OHC variations, and we recommend a careful
    quantification of errors in the ocean analyses.
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-017-3751-5

    *Climate Change*Could Bring Malaria Risk to Highlands
    <https://www.voanews.com/a/climate-change-malaria-highlands/3916448.html>

WASHINGTON DC  -  Salem Solomon
Ethiopia's highlands traditionally have a built-in protection for the
people who live there. The elevation and the cool temperatures have
meant that malaria, the deadly mosquito-borne illness, cannot be
transmitted.
But climate change may be putting an end to that safeguard. A new study
led by a researcher at the University of Maine found that since 1981,
the elevation needed to protect people from malaria has risen by 100 meters.
For the first time, people living in Ethiopia's highlands could be
vulnerable to the disease.
"What's happening is the conditions, at least in terms of temperature,
that are suitable for malaria are slowly creeping up at higher
elevations," said Bradfield Lyon at Maine's Climate Change Institute and
School of Earth and Climate Sciences. "The same thing would be true in
other highland locations throughout the tropics."
"It's sort of eroding this natural buffer," he said.
The two most common types of parasites that cause malaria in the region
require consistent temperatures above 18 degrees Celsius and 15 degrees
Celsius respectively...
"It does not mean that these people, therefore, are going to get
malaria. It just says that it is slowly enhancing the risk if we leave
all other factors alone," Lyon said. "I mean the hope is through
interventions and so forth that we can, in fact, eradicate malaria in
this and other regions of the tropics."
https://www.voanews.com/a/climate-change-malaria-highlands/3916448.html

    *Climate Change*Is Making Cities Sick
    <https://www.citylab.com/environment/2017/06/climate-change-public-health/531648/>

Urban Canadians are feeling the impact of climate change. Flooding in
Quebec this spring damaged nearly 1,900 homes in 126 municipalities,
causing widespread psychological distress.
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2017/06/climate-change-public-health/531648/

    *Climate Change*Could Threaten Up To 2 Billion Refugees By 2100
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-refugees_us_59506463e4b0da2c731c5e73>

(includes BBC video)
Charles Geisler, a sociologist at Cornell University, spent much of his
career researching where poor people go when rich corporations swoop in
and buy the land out from under their feet.
But his focus began to shift in 2005, after observing how storm surges
tainted farmland in Bangladesh with salt water. Later that year,
Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, submerging communities once
believed to be safe behind levees and dikes. As floodwaters inundated
Vietnam's Mekong Delta last year, Geisler's new worldview came into
sharp relief.
The rising sea, he surmised, is the one displacement force more powerful
than greed.
Geisler began collating climate and demographic research, and came to a
dire conclusion: By the year 2100, rising sea levels could force up to 2
billion people inland, creating a refugee crisis among one-fifth of the
world's population.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-refugees_us_59506463e4b0da2c731c5e73

    New Zealand law student launches*climate change *court case
    <http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/zealand-law-student-launches-climate-change-court-case-48275611>

A New Zealand law student is taking the government to court in hopes of
forcing it to set more ambitious climate change targets.
The case brought by Sarah Thomson, 26, began Monday in the High Court in
Wellington and is scheduled to last three days. It could be several
months before a judge releases a decision.
Thomson is challenging the government over commitments that include a
pledge under the Paris climate accord to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
by 30 percent below 2005 levels by 2030.
In court filings, Thomson argued that pledge and the process for
reaching it were "illogical, irrational, unreasonable and unlawful."
She says the government needs to throw out the target and set a new one.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/zealand-law-student-launches-climate-change-court-case-48275611

    More killer hail coming unless we curb*global warming*
    <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2138693-more-killer-hail-coming-unless-we-curb-global-warming/>

There is endless fascination with things that fall from the sky. The
very term meteorology comes from the Greek word meteoron, referring to
stuff high in the sky.

    Bigger hail might pummel the US as*climate change *gathers more
    force
    <https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15873162/hailstorms-increase-north-america-climate-change-extreme-weather>

The hailstorm hit during rush hour, when lots of cars where on the road,
and ended up being Colorado's costliest catastrophe, totaling $1.4
billion in damages.
*(photos) Large hailstone deluge marks midsummer in Altai, breaking car
windows, ruining harvests
<http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/large-hailstone-deluge-marks-midsummer-in-altai-breaking-car-windows-ruining-harvests/>*
By The Siberian Times reporter22 June 2017
Strong hail storms hit in several settlements in Altai region, breaking
car windows, damaging roofs of buildings and destroying greenhouses.
In some areas it wiped out future harvests.
*(video) Barrage of golf ball-sized hail pummels southeastern Siberia
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163ULS9YRGw>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163ULS9YRGw
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/large-hailstone-deluge-marks-midsummer-in-altai-breaking-car-windows-ruining-harvests/

    Fighting for freshwater amid climate change | PBS NewsHour
    <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/fighting-freshwater-amid-climate-change/>

President Donald Trump has said he is withdrawing the U.S. from the
Paris climate accords, rejecting that wealthier nations, which have the
biggest carbon
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/fighting-freshwater-amid-climate-change/

*Climate Change and Health: The Effects of Heat, 2015
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPk9dZfDwR4>*
Center for Climate Change Communication (George Mason University)
Published on Dec 23, 2015
Dr. Mona Sarfaty, Director of Program on Climate and Health at the
Center for Climate Change Communication, speaks on the health effects of
climate change, specifically, the effects of heat, pollen, and air
pollution. 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPk9dZfDwR4
*Climate Change and Extreme Heat Events
<http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797%2808%2900686-7/fulltext>*
http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797%2808%2900686-7/fulltext
*Climate Change and Human Health: Impacts and Pathways to Resilience
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBF0iPQRCo>*
Climate change induced impacts on human health are myriad; they range
from direct effects, such as heat related mortality during extreme heat
events, to indirect effects on infectious disease transmission systems.
Predicting the degree of impact climate change will have on a specific
health outcome becomes more difficult as the pathways become more
indirect. One such example is determining the potential risk of dengue
emergence in the U.S.-Mexico border region where Ae. aegypti mosquito
populations that transmit the virus are well-established. A suitable
natural environment is necessary but not sufficient for virus
transmission. Social, economic, and behavioral factors can all enhance
or reduce risk. While these factors make predictions difficult, they
also suggest a level of control that we as a society have to reduce our
risk of negative health outcomes linked to a changing climate. Both
top-down and bottom-up actions must be taken now to mitigate current and
future health threats.
Kacey Ernst is an Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
in the College of Public Health at the University of Arizona. She is
also a Graduate Interdisciplinary Program affiliate in Global Change,
Entomology and Arid Lands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBF0iPQRCo

*Climate Change, the Erosion of State Sovereignty, and World Order
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/06/26/climate-change-the-erosion-of-state-sovereignty-and-world-order/>*
JUNE 26, 2017 9:04 AM
Erosion of State SovereigntyThis is a blog series highlighting each
article in the Center for Climate and Security's recent report,
"Epicenters of Climate and Security: The New Geostrategic Landscape of
the Anthropocene."
Climate Change, the Erosion of State Sovereignty, and World Order
By Francesco Femia and Caitlin E. Werrell
The formation and spread of the nation-state has occurred during a
relatively stable climatic period - an 11,000-year-plus epoch referred
to by geologists as the Holocene. The Holocene, thought to be the
longest warm and "stable" climatic period of the last 400,000 years, may
have played a significant role in facilitating the development of human
civilization. The epoch encompasses the advent of agriculture, the rise
and fall of empires and monarchs, and the birth and spread of the
nation-state to all corners of the globe. In short, all of modern
civilization occurred within the Holocene. In this context, the
foundation for the current system of nation-states rests in part on a
common assumption that the baseline climatic and natural-resource
conditions present until today will generally continue. The flaw in this
assumption is that atmospheric conditions, due to human activity, have
shifted in an unprecedented way since the mid-20th century, and are
changing rapidly. This phenomenon, coupled with massive demographic
changes, has led some to assert that that the Earth may have entered a
new epoch called the "Anthropocene." The rapid changes inherent in this
epoch could stress the very foundations of the modern nation-state system…
(more…)
https://climateandsecurity.org/2017/06/26/climate-change-the-erosion-of-state-sovereignty-and-world-order/

    How to Tell If Your Reps Are Serious About Climate Change
    <http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/how-politicians-must-fight-climate-change-in-the-trump-era-w489549>

(RollingStone)  In the wake of Trump pulling the U.S. out of the Paris
Agreement, how serious are your representatives about fighting back?
Perhaps no president in recent times has unified the country, and the
globe, as effectively as Donald Trump. In the hours following his
rejection of the Paris climate accord, pretty much everyone who didn't
actually work in a coal mine joined in the condemnation. Few trollers
were quite as adept as the new French president, who issued a video
urging climate scientists to emigrate from America, but the honchos at
Facebook and Google did their part, weighing in with varied admixtures
of shock, indignation and disappointment – in fact, Forbes kept a
running tally of billionaires expressing their outrage, one of whom,
Michael Bloomberg, pledged up to $15 million to help make up for the
money America had promised the planet's poorest countries. Tesla's Elon
Musk and the head of Disney quit the president's council of CEO
advisers, while a senior Vatican official said exiting Paris was a "huge
slap in the face for us."...
Standing up to natural gas will be hard, because it's where the
fossil-fuel industry increasingly concentrates its investments. (Exxon,
to the surprise of some, opposed the Paris withdrawal – that's because
the company sees its gas business benefiting as carbon cuts go into
effect but methane is left unregulated.) And it's easy for politicians
to play rhetorical games here: If you just talk about "carbon," then gas
looks good. But physics, again, is unimpressed by spin. It just adds up
all the greenhouse gases in the air, and then it does its thing. Our job
is to make sure that truly clean power comes next – we can't waste
another few decades playing around with gas.
So now it's up to the rest of us to make sure this dark moment produces
real gain. If we let politicians simply "stand up for science" or
promise to someday reincarnate the Paris accord, then we will never
catch up with climate change. If instead the rage that Trump has
provoked catapults us into truly serious action – well, that will be the
best revenge.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/how-politicians-must-fight-climate-change-in-the-trump-era-w489549

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4571&v=Wdt2UrqGq3c*
  Facing Climate Change: An Integrated Path to the Future
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4571&v=Wdt2UrqGq3c>
     Depth Psychology Alliance
   In this 90 minute webinar, Climate scientist, Jungian analyst, and
author, Dr. Jeffrey Kiehl, explores how a Jungian perspective on the
climate crisis can not only shed light on why we are so reluctant to
engage with the issue, but how we can use Jungian psychology to break
through these barriers and actively engage in creating a more
flourishing world.
     This presentation is based on Dr. Jeffrey Kiehl's new book, Facing
Climate Change: An Integrated Path to the Future (2016).
     It covers four dimensions of climate change:
     --a look at the affective reactions associated with the news of
climate change and the complexes connected to these affective reactions;
     --an archetypal view of the climate change issue and how an
understanding of the power of archetypes can help us address this issue;
     --a reflection on how we can relate to our world in a deeper way,
which allows us to see the sacredness in our everyday world; and
     --the role of the religious function in providing us with a deeper
ground from which we can create a flourishing future for all beings.
Kiehl uses personal story and myth to relate these concepts.
     The lecture part of the event uses images and text to amplify the
four dimensions of dealing with climate change. After the lecture, Kiehl
engages participants in a conversation around Jungian psychology and
climate change.
     Key takeaways:
     • How to view our current climate process as a manifestation of
inner psychic processes
     • How to use phenomenological processes to experience the sacred
nature of the world
     • How a transpersonal dimension is essential to fully addressing
the climate crisis.
     About the presenter:
     Jeffrey Kiehl, PhD, MA is a Jungian analyst and a climate
scientist. He is a senior scientist at the National Center for
Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado and an adjunct professor in
the department of Earth & Planetary Sciences at UC Santa Cruz. He is
also a senior training analyst at the CG Jung Institute of Colorado. He
has published over 140 papers in peer-reviewed journals and is the
author of Facing Climate Change: An Integrated Path to the Future. He
has presented nationally and internationally on Jungian psychology as it
relates to pressing world issues. He lives in Santa Cruz, California.

*Book:   Horsemen of the Apocalypse
<http://skyhorsepublishing.com/titles/12459-9781510721753-horsemen-of-the-apocalypse>*
The Men Who Are Destroying Life on Earth - And What It Means for Our
Children
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Dick Russell, David Talbot
(Publisher's description) "The science is overwhelming; the facts are
in. The planet is heating up at an alarming rate and the results are
everywhere to be seen. Yet, as time runs out, climate progress is
blocked by the men who are profiting from the burning of the planet:
energy moguls like the Koch brothers and Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson.
Powerful politicians like Senators Mitch McConnell and Jim Inhofe, who
receive massive contributions from the oil and coal industries. Most of
these men are too intelligent to truly believe that climate change is
not a growing crisis. And yet they have put their profits and careers
ahead of the health and welfare of the world's population - and even
their own children and grandchildren. How do they explain themselves to
their offspring, to the next generations that must deal with the
environmental havoc that these men have wreaked? Horsemen of the
Apocalypse takes a personal look at this global crisis, literally
bringing it home."
http://skyhorsepublishing.com/titles/12459-9781510721753-horsemen-of-the-apocalypse

*This Day in Climate History June 27, 2000
<http://c-spanvideo.org/program/GoreEne>  -  from D.R. Tucker*
Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore lays out his energy policy at
a campaign appearance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/GoreEne
////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List