[TheClimate.Vote] May 4, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu May 4 09:46:46 EDT 2017

/May 4, 2017 /

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/global-warming-portends-an-increase-in-quebec-forest-fires-researcher

    *Global warming*portends an increase in Quebec forest fires:
    researcher
    <http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/global-warming-portends-an-increase-in-quebec-forest-fires-researcher>

Montreal Gazette 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

With*global warming*, drought in Quebec will increase in the next few
years as well as forest fires, professor and researcher Yves Bergeron
said Wednesday.

https://indivisibleeb.org/2017/04/19/help-defend-the-environment-from-your-couch/
*Help defend the environment from your couch!
<https://indivisibleeb.org/2017/04/19/help-defend-the-environment-from-your-couch/>*

    As of today, the EPA had received just over 9,000 comments. (To put
    this in perspective: the FCC received 3.7 million comments when net
    neutrality was threatened. We have less than two weeks and a long
    way to go.)
    I'm working with Indivisible Berkeley and Indivisible East Bay, both
    of which are trying to rally more participation in this process, and
    we are hoping to partner with environmental NGOs that - we imagine -
    are already doing something to gather comments. We have partnerships
    with OFA and volunteers willing to phone bank - but we'd love some
    guidance on what, specifically, to ask of people, and which people
    to target. Please let us know if your group would like to work with us!
    Indivisible East Bay's call-to-action:
    https://indivisibleeb.org/2017/04/19/help-defend-the-environment-from-your-couch/
    Indivisible Berkeley's call-to-action:
    https://www.indivisibleberkeley.org/epa

http://www.kmov.com/story/35335525/how-much-is-climate-change-contributing-to-record-flooding

    How much is*climate change*contributing to record flooding?
    <http://www.kmov.com/story/35335525/how-much-is-climate-change-contributing-to-record-flooding>

KMOV.com 	 -‎28 minutes ago‎

    A pamphlet issued by the federal government months ago states that
    climate change could be playing a role in flooding in the St. Louis
    area...the EPA ..document ... says climate change means more heavy
    precipitation and flooding for Missouri.
    ... over the past half century, rainfall during the wettest four
    days of the year has increased 35 percent. The amount of water
    flowing in most streams during the worst floods has increased by
    more than 20 percent, the EPA says.
    An expert also said that increased development along rivers is also
    to blame.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/humans_are_better_at_rapid_change_than_we_think_20170503
*Humans better at rapid change than we think
<http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/humans_are_better_at_rapid_change_than_we_think_20170503>*

    A new study provides evidence that humans are capable of radically
    altering the world around us, and offers hope in the face of climate
    change.
    LONDON, 3 May, 2017 - Human beings often forget that we have an
    invaluable ability, says a study by two British social scientists:
    we can change the world around us, and our treatment of it, more
    quickly and more significantly than we realise...
    ..rapid, radical transitions are more possible than we suppose, the
    study says.
    http://www.newweather.org/2017/04/24/new-study-how-did-we-do-that-the-possibility-of-rapid-transition/
    *New study: How did we do that? The possibility of rapid transition
    <http://www.newweather.org/2017/04/24/new-study-how-did-we-do-that-the-possibility-of-rapid-transition/>*
    The study is published by the New Weather Institute and the STEPS
    Centre, University of Sussex and was funded by the UK's Economic and
    Social Research Council.  Lessons drawn from the study include:
    *- **Fairness matters*: to be accepted, rapid change must be seen to
    be fair. This is especially true if and where there is any perceived
    sacrifice to be made for the greater good.
    *-  We're actually good at change:* New social norms can quickly
    take root in everything from working patterns, to transport use,
    attitudes surrounding prejudice, and patterns of consumption.
    *-  Public leadership is needed*: Initial public investment in a
    sector or activity can leverage larger levels of investment from
    other sources.
    *-  There's no one path:* Rapid transitions can result from bottom
    up and top down approaches, but ensuring that top down approaches
    are equitable and inclusive is a key challenge.
    *-  Inaction costs:* It matters always to be clear about both the
    costs of inaction and the benefits of action.
    *-  Pleasant surprises do happen:* Change always brings with it
    unplanned and unexpected consequences - but it can also bring
    unintended benefits.
    *-  Agitation is necessary:* Agitation in the face of overwhelming
    odds, and even likely failure, can be a common and necessary feature
    of great achievements. Movements for race and gender equality, and
    against colonialism and homophobia, show clearly how progressive
    political change from above - by governments and others - often has
    its roots in long fought struggles from below.
    *-  Accepting boundaries triggers innovation:* Setting new
    parameters around consumption - such as introducing safe limits on
    the burning of fossil fuels - can unleash innovation and reveal
    great, nascent adaptive capacity.  Businesses, societies and whole
    economies adapt to new 'rules of the game' remarkably quickly.
    *-  Value experiences, not 'stuff'*: Material consumption of 'stuff'
    in rich industrialised countries can be  substituted by spending on
    experiential activities that benefit well-being.
    Click here to download the report: How did we do that? The
    possibility of rapid transition
    <http://www.newweather.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/How_Did_We_Do_That_WEB.pdf>
    PDF file

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/save-lives-supercomputers-dive-hearts-natures-worst-tornadoes/
*To save lives, supercomputers dive into the hearts of nature's worst
tornadoes
<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/save-lives-supercomputers-dive-hearts-natures-worst-tornadoes/>*

    Leigh Orf chases tornadoes across America's central plains, but not
    from inside a pickup truck. His preferred vehicle is a computer.
    Orf, a University of Wisconsin-Madison meteorologist, creates
    computer simulations of supercell thunderstorms — and the twisters
    they spawn — from the safety of his lab. Even when they don't yield
    twisters, supercells are some of the most powerful and deadly forms
    of severe weather, and like many in his field, Orf wants to
    understand their inner mechanics.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Leigh+Orf+Univeristy+of+wisconsin
    *Unlocking the Mysteries of the Most Violent Tornadoes -- Leigh Orf
    <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Leigh+Orf+Univeristy+of+wisconsin>**see
    many YouTube videos *
    Tornadogenesis: 30 meter simulation of a violently tornadic
    supercell thunderstorm. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHhKI0T3t78>
    20 meter simulation of multiple-vortex EF5 tornado embedded within
    its parent supercell <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsO6xUHn5ME>

    Bret Stephens Takes On*Climate Change*. Readers Unleash Their Fury
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/public-editor/bret-stephens-climate-change-liz-spayd-public-editor.html>

New York Times 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

    But many are incensed by what they felt was the gall of Stephens to
    take on climate change as his first column, and then to obliquely
    suggest that the data underlying climate science may be flawed, just
    like the data that predicted a Hillary Clinton ...
    https://www.eenews.net/greenwire/stories/1060053997
    *Scientists demand New York Times correct column
    <https://www.eenews.net/greenwire/stories/1060053997>*
    Hannah Hess, E&E News reporterPublished: Wednesday, May 3, 2017
    Scientists are calling on The New York Times to publish a more
    comprehensive correction to columnist Bret Stephens' "inaccurate and
    misleading statements" about climate change.
    Prominent figures — including Michael Mann, Katharine Hayhoe,
    Michael Oppenheimer, John Abraham and Ben Santer — have signed an
    open letter protesting Stephens' inaugural column.
    https://www.climatefactsfirst.org/
    *An Open Letter From Climate Experts
    <https://www.climatefactsfirst.org/>*
      A CHANGING POLITICAL CLIMATE SHOULDN'T CHANGE NYT'S DEDICATION TO
    FACTS
    We are deeply concerned about inaccurate and misleading statements
    about the science of climate change that appeared in Climate of
    Complete Certainty by Bret Stephens (April 28, 2017). While
    "alternative facts", misconceptions, and misrepresentations of
    climate science are unfortunately widespread in public discussion,
    we are dismayed that this practice appeared on the editorial page of
    The New York Times.
    There are opinions and there are facts. Stephens is entitled to
    share his opinions, but not "alternative facts."
    Fact: The N. Hemisphere warmed substantially more than claimed by
    the writer...
    ...We call on the Times to publish a more comprehensive correction
    to the inaccuracies that appeared in Stephen's column and to avoid
    such errors in the future by fact checking columns as carefully as
    they do news stories.
    There is certainly a place for a variety of well-informed opinions
    when it comes to societal responses to climate change. But it must
    be made clear that there are facts that are not subject to opinion.
    If you are a scientist,click here to add your name to the letter
    <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScIG-SXtJqjHnUesIYs4Tc1FbI_jxq3aBv82N3TQvAZ61Fj6w/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
    Concerned members of the public, click here to take action.
    <https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/new-york-times-dont-publish-climate-science-misinformation?source=direct_link&>

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WAGOV/bulletins/1984528
*Inslee among 12 governors urging Trump to keep U.S. in Paris Agreement
<https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WAGOV/bulletins/1984528>*

    OLYMPIA - Gov. Jay Inslee and 11 other governors sent a letter to
    President Trump today
    <http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbXNpZD0mYXVpZD0mbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTcwNTAzLjcyOTgxOTUxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE3MDUwMy43Mjk4MTk1MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODU5NTg2JmVtYWlsaWQ9c2FtLnJpY2tldHRzQGdvdi53YS5nb3YmdXNlcmlkPXNhbS5yaWNrZXR0c0Bnb3Yud2EuZ292JnRhcmdldGlkPSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&101&&&http://governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017-05-03_GovernorsLetter-Paris.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>
    urging the administration to continue the United States' involvement
    in the international Paris Climate Agreement. Inslee issued the
    following statement:
         "Climate change is already affecting our state and nation in
    damaging ways, and an international response at all levels of
    government is essential to avoiding its worst impacts. American
    leadership is crucial to the success of that international effort,
    and continued U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement is our
    nation's moral responsibility....
    The United States was one of 195 nations that signed the Paris
    Climate Agreement in December 2015. As of April 2017, 144 counties
    have formally ratified it. The agreement went into effect in November.

https://climatecrocks.com/2017/05/03/is-this-the-earliest-full-climate-documentary/
*Is this the Earliest Full Climate Documentary?
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/05/03/is-this-the-earliest-full-climate-documentary/>*

    Hard to watch, but essential to understand. What we knew and when we
    knew it.
    Leo Hickman in Carbon Brief:
    On the evening of Tuesday, 8 December, 1981, the UK's only
    commercial TV channel, ITV, broadcast an hour-long documentary
    called "Warming Warning".
    It was among the earliest occasions - possibly the earliest -
    anywhere in the world where a major broadcaster aired a documentary
    dedicated solely to the topic of human-caused climate change.
    The documentary, which was made by the now-defunct Thames
    Television, has sat in the archives largely unseen ever since. Until
    now.
    https://youtu.be/DMjnvfkeJJ0
    Climate Change - Warming Warning - 1981 <https://youtu.be/DMjnvfkeJJ0>
    Thames Televisions 'Warming Warning'
    First Shown: 08/12/1981
    I got an inquiry today about whether this was the earliest major
    documentary on climate science.  In my archive I have a mention of
    the problem towards the end of an NBC Network News broadcast on the
    original Earth Day in 1970.
    https://youtu.be/o0YLMuPA_Jo
    Greenhouse Warning on Earth Day 1970: NBC News
    <https://youtu.be/o0YLMuPA_Jo>
    Listen to the end. News coverage of nationwide environmental news
    coverage on the first Earth Day in 1970.
    Prominently featured, warnings about a greenhouse effect, and a
    warming earth.
    One obvious connection to make is the science that was being done at
    companies like Exxon in the late 70s, early 80s, that matched the
    conclusions being reached at NASA, NOAA, and major research
    institutions.
    https://youtu.be/aannOZw2shY
    What Exxon Knew <https://youtu.be/aannOZw2shY>
    Newly released documents show that scientists at Exxon Oil
    Corporation conducted research on climate change and the greenhouse
    effect in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Their conclusions were in
    accord with mainstream scientific groups in academia, NASA, NOAA,
    and the Department of Energy, showing that global warming posed a
    serious problem, with potential "catastrophic effects."
    https://youtu.be/OmpiuuBy-4s
    Global Warming: What We Knew in 82 <https://youtu.be/OmpiuuBy-4s>
    I interviewed climate scientists Mike MacCracken in 2012, about his
    work at the same time, as leader of a task force for the Department
    of Energy on climate change and the CO2 problem.  Mike was doing
    some research in collaboration with Exxon scientists at the time,
    and was on the same page.
    https://youtu.be/ox5hbkg34Ow
    Climate: What did We Know and When Did We Know it?
    <https://youtu.be/ox5hbkg34Ow>
    I've been collecting archival footage documenting early climate
    communication. That was the basis for this recent video, comparing
    early 1980s projections of climate change, with current observations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=sdALFnlwV_o
    Climate Science 1956: A Blast from the Past
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=sdALFnlwV_o>
    Here, a vinyl recording from General Electric in 1956 is a
    discussion of climate science in very early days.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-AXBbuDxRY
    Climate Change 1958: The Bell Telephone Science Hour
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-AXBbuDxRY>
    and of course, beloved and avuncular "Dr. Frank Baxter" delivered
    the message in a 1958 "Bell Telephone Science Hour", a segment
    directed by Frank Capra ("It's a Wonderful Life").
    .................more:
    Thatcher, 1989: "What we are now doing to the world, by degrading
    the land surfaces, by polluting the waters and by adding greenhouse
    gases to the air at an unprecedented rate—all this is new in the
    experience of the earth. It is mankind and his activities which are
    changing the environment of our planet in damaging and dangerous ways. "
    https://youtu.be/Fys5Z63xCvA
    http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817
    -------------------------
    Lyndon Johnson, 1965:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/nov/05/scientists-warned-the-president-about-global-warming-50-years-ago-today
    https://youtu.be/UQfYKbKdlBM
    Isaac Asimov How People Can Save The Earth for Humans
    <https://youtu.be/UQfYKbKdlBM>
    Asimov, 1989, referring back "at least 20 years", 1969:

https://www.climatesolutions.org/article/1493757494-thanks-quarter-million
*Thanks a quarter million+
<https://www.climatesolutions.org/article/1493757494-thanks-quarter-million>*

    by KC Golden on May 2, 2017
    Of the 200,000 people who came to the People's Climate March in DC
    last Saturday, I got to thank maybe 300 personally. I spent much of
    the day overcome with gratitude. This will have to do as my thanks
    to the other 199,700, and the over 100,000 others who marched in
    over 370 places around the country and the world....
    ...But worse than the incredulity is the guilt. Just saying what we
    do makes people squirm, because it pokes their denial. The vast
    majority of people are not climate science deniers per se, but we're
    ALL in some form climate denial - some kind of psychological
    accommodation that allows us to put one foot in front of the other
    when we're clearly on a path that leads over a cliff. By naming our
    work, we challenge that. Not too many people turn around and walk
    away, but many seem to wish they could. Some feel compelled to
    explain why they had to drive a car that day, as if we might issue a
    carbon citation.
    So people who work on climate carry a lot of fear and shame - their
    own, and some of the ambient guilt of people who come to associate
    them with this overwhelming threat we all create. We humans
    (especially humans of privilege) spend a great deal of psychic
    energy trying to find some darkness to put the climate crisis in,
    someplace out of the center of our consciousness, where the glare of
    existential horror and our own complicity isn't quite so harsh.
    Shining a light into those dark corners can be thankless work....
    Marching along, signs and spirits high, it even becomes possible to
    imagine that the tide might turn fast enough to save a decent
    future. You can glimpse - with the vision of 400,000 diverse eyes -
    how the transition might renew community, advance justice, enhance
    economic security, rebuild democracy. Too many days, we can't help
    but feel we are alone with these possibilities and the necessity of
    reaching toward them. In our isolation and fear, we wonder whether
    they're real. But not last Saturday, and -with the immense
    collective energy of the marches fresh in our hearts - not any day soon.
    https://www.climatesolutions.org/article/1432250679-we-have-met-wrong-enemy
    *(opinion) We have met the wrong enemy
    <https://www.climatesolutions.org/article/1432250679-we-have-met-wrong-enemy>*
    by KC Golden on May 22, 2015
    By all means, let's find ways within our reach to reduce our oil
    consumption. But let's also get real: We are not going to save
    ourselves from climate chaos by gnashing our teeth about our own
    complicity or calling protestors hypocrites. That's just letting
    Shell walk all over us and get away with torching the future.  If
    you prefer to focus on personal responsibility, think of the Polar
    Pioneer as an avatar for our own wastefulness and consumerism.
    Whatever makes you mad enough, determined enough, unambivalent
    enough to actually stand up and stop them before they wreck
    everything - feel that.
    Let's forgive ourselves for being part of the only system there is.
    But let's change the damned system so we can do what we know is
    right, necessary, and possible: make the transition from fossil
    fuels to a clean energy economy. We don't have to do it overnight.
    We don't have to forsake all fossil fuel use and the jobs that
    depend on it. We just have to keep moving in the right direction,
    and stop the fossil fuel industry from digging the hole so deep we
    can't get out.  If we fail to do that, there will be ample
    opportunity to feel guilty down the road.
    1: And while I'm kvetching, PLEASE don't evince guilt about your
    lifestyle with me. I'm a guilty slob too, and we get nowhere by
    blaming ourselves for living our lives in the only energy system
    there is. Yes, take personal responsibility and live more
    sustainably. But don't do it out of penance or shame; do it to
    regain your power and take back your money; do it with attitude. And
    also be real: if we don't take collective responsibility as
    citizens, confront egregious perpetrators, regain our power, and
    wage a clean energy revolution, our vegan diets and LED bulbs won't
    amount to much. Our sense of complicity and hypocrisy is a huge
    albatross. I implore you to cast it off or morph it into ferocity.
    Please read and share Bill McKibben's "The question I get asked the
    most." My own take, with thanks to Naomi Oreskes and Kathleen Dean
    Moore, is in "We have met the wrong enemy" - written in response to
    trolls who swarmed around kayaktivists protesting the Polar Pioneer.

https://theconversation.com/can-bill-nye-or-any-other-science-show-really-save-the-world-76630
*Can Bill Nye - or any other science show - really save the world?*

    But what deserves to be successful isn't always what ends up winning
    hearts and minds in the real world. In fact, empirical data we
    collected suggest that the viewership of such shows - even heavily
    publicized and celebrity-endorsed ones - is small and made up of
    people who are already highly educated, knowledgeable about science
    and receptive to scientific evidence.
    Today's fragmented and partisan media environment fosters selective
    exposure and motivated reasoning - that is, viewers typically tune
    in to programming that confirms their existing worldview. There are
    few opportunities or incentives for audiences to engage with
    scientific evidence in the media. All of this can propagate
    misleading claims and deter audiences from accepting the conclusions
    of sound science. And adoption of misinformation and alternative
    facts is not a partisan problem. Policy debates questioning or
    ignoring scientific consensus on vaccines, climate change and GMOs
    have cut across different political camps.
    After publication, "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" host Neil deGrasse
    Tyson responded to this article in a comment.:
    ... You might instead ask how much worse everything might be, had
    all these pop-science forces not been in play over these recent
    years. How many more science deniers would we have?  Or better yet,
    sum the pop-science media forces and ask,  "Who has seen none of
    them?".  My guess is that your analysis will require revision....

*http://mediamatters.org/video/2010/05/04/olbermann-names-will-krauthammer-in-worst-perso/164226**
This Day in Climate History May 4, 2010
<http://mediamatters.org/video/2010/05/04/olbermann-names-will-krauthammer-in-worst-perso/164226>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips syndicated columnist George Will for
continuing to peddle myths about wind energy/.

////safely forward this email./

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing.  It
        carries no graphics nor images which may originate from remote
        servers. Text-only messages provide greater privacy to the
        receiver and sender.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List