[TheClimate.Vote] November 9, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Nov 9 10:02:55 EST 2017

/November 9, 2017
/
*Climate Change Costs a Lot More Than We Recognize
<https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-08/climate-change-costs-a-lot-more-than-we-recognize>*
Most estimates ignore the sociopolitical repercussions.
The latest U.S. government report on climate change illustrates how
expensive the phenomenon can be: It estimates that more frequent
flooding, more violent hurricanes and more intense wildfires, among
other things, have cost the country $1.1 trillion since 1980.
What's particularly striking, though, is how much the report and others
like it are still missing.
For two decades, researchers have been working hard to figure out the
potential monetary consequences of climate change. They typically look
at things that are relatively easy to measure, such as flood damage from
more intense rainfall, real estate losses along coastlines and reduced
economic growth. Yet as a new review of the most widely used models
points out, they also leave out some pretty big things, such as greater
damage from wildfires, worsening water scarcity and the potential for
shifting climate patterns to trigger social and political instability by
disrupting agriculture and ecology.
Estimating such effects is inherently difficult, but ignoring them is
worse. Serious consequences are already evident, in the recent string of
U.S. hurricanes and rampant wildfires in California and elsewhere. In
West Africa, persistent changes in the amount and timing of rainfall
have caused a mass migration, primarily of young men, to Europe and
elsewhere. The uprising in Syria came just after a crippling four-year
drought caused widespread food shortages. In Europe, a surge of migrants
from Syria and elsewhere has played a significant role in the rise of
populist parties and a spreading backlash against democracy.
In other words, the U.S. Defense Department was prescient two years ago
when it concluded that "climate change is an urgent and growing threat
to our national security, contributing to increased natural disasters,
refugee flows, and conflicts over basic resources such as food and
water." Although climate change hasn't necessarily caused such ills, it
has certainly exacerbated them.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-08/climate-change-costs-a-lot-more-than-we-recognize

*Three-quarters of companies yet to acknowledge financial risks of
climate change, survey reveals
<https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/10/companies-not-noting-financial-risk-of-climate-change.html>*
As COP23 kicks off in Bonn, KPMG's latest survey shows that almost
three-quarters of companies worldwide are yet to acknowledge the
financial risks of climate change in their annual financial reports.
KPMG's 2017 Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting analyzed
financial and sustainability reporting by almost 5,000 companies around
the world.
It found that,of the minority of companies that do acknowledge
climate-related risk, fewer than one in 20 (4 percent) currently
provides investors with analysis of the potential business value at risk.
The research identified only five countries in the world where a
majority of the top 100 companies mention climate-related financial
risks in their financial reports: Taiwan (88 percent), France (76
percent), South Africa (61 percent), US (53 percent)and Canada (52 percent
KPMG member firm analysts also looked at carbon reduction target setting
by the world's largest 250 companies (G250). They found that while two
thirds of reports from these companies disclose carbon reduction
targets, the majority of those targets are not aligned with national or
global climate targets such as INDCs or the Paris Agreement.
Download the survey, watch the video and explore the results on an
interactive map at www.kpmg/com/crreporting
https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/10/companies-not-noting-financial-risk-of-climate-change.html
-
Executive Summary: The KPMG Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting
2017
<https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2017/10/executive-summary-the-kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.html>
https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2017/10/executive-summary-the-kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.html
https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2017/10/the-kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.html
-
Video:
https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2017/10/video-the-kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.html
*

Democrats Assail Environmental Nominees Over Climate Change
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/climate/senate-confirmation-climate-epa.html>*WASHINGTON
- A Senate hearing on nominees for two top environmental posts on
Wednesday quickly turned testy over the Trump administration's
ambivalence on climate change science.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/climate/senate-confirmation-climate-epa.html

*
The seven megatrends that could beat global warming: 'There is reason
for hope'
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/08/seven-megatrends-that-could-beat-global-warming-climate-change>*
Until recently the battle to avert catastrophic climate change - floods,
droughts, famine, mass migrations - seemed to be lost. But with the
tipping point just years away, the tide is finally turning, thanks to
innovations ranging from cheap renewables to lab-grown meat and electric
airplanes
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/08/seven-megatrends-that-could-beat-global-warming-climate-change

*
(audio) Potential Trump Adviser Suggests Climate Change Regulations Are
Communist Conspiracy
<https://www.npr.org/2017/11/08/562721401/potential-trump-adviser-suggests-climate-change-regulations-are-communist-conspi>*
President Trump has tapped a former Texas regulator to be his senior
adviser on environmental policy. Like a string of other controversial
picks, she questions the science behind climate change.
https://www.npr.org/2017/11/08/562721401/potential-trump-adviser-suggests-climate-change-regulations-are-communist-conspi

*Fight Climate Change by Suing Polluters, Says Scientist
<https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/james-hansen-fight-climate-change-sue-pollutors-cop23/>*
Prominent climate scientist James Hansen has a message for world leaders
gathering in Germany for the United Nations conference on global warming.
In fact, climate lawsuits are already happening. Last year, a Filipino
government body called the Commission on Human Rights of the
Philippinesaccused 47 carbon
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/27/worlds-largest-carbon-producers-face-landmark-human-rights-case>majors
of human rights violations because of their role in climate change.Three
California coastal communities
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18072017/oil-gas-coal-companies-exxon-shell-sued-coastal-california-city-counties-sea-level-rise>sued
31 fossil-fuel companies in July. Last month, four municipalities on
Canada's west coast asked Chevron, Exxon, Shell, and others topay their
share
<https://www.wcel.org/media-release/colwood-vancouver-island-municipalities-join-new-movement-fossil-fuel-company>of
the climate costs those communities are facing. There is now even a
nascent movement calledClimate Law in our Hands
<http://www.climatelawinourhands.org/>that helps communities go after
these carbon-emitting companies....
Could Puerto Rico sue the carbon majors for the billions in damages
caused by Hurricane Maria? Legal experts say this is a difficult
question. "You need to establish a sufficiently direct relationship
between an act or omission by the entity sued and a significant impact,"
says Jorge Vinuales, Professor of Law and Environmental Policy at the
University of Cambridge.
However, some cases along these lines are starting at the UN Human
Rights Committee, says Vinuales, who said he couldn't yet provide
further details because they aren't public. For low-lying, small island
nations whose existence is threatened by rising seas, a better approach
might be to bring an action against some major polluters before either
the International Court of Justice or the International Tribunal on the
Law of the Sea, Vinuales says. "I'm quite confident that such a suit
could be formulated in terms that could work," he says...
Lawsuits against governments and carbon majors could force what Hansen
and many climate activists have long advocated: a carbon fee or tariff
system on fossil fuels to raise their cost and provide funding. "As long
as we allow fossil fuels to be cheap energy, and not required to pay
their costs to society, we cannot kick our fossil fuel addiction," he says.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/james-hansen-fight-climate-change-sue-pollutors-cop23/

*5 Practices to Help Accept the Immense Challenge of Climate Change
<https://www.lionsroar.com/5-practices-to-help-you-skillfully-contemplate-climate-change/>*
/(edited for brevity)/
Climate change can feel so immense that it hurts just to think about.
Lama Willa Miller offers five meditations to help bring the truth of
climate change into your awareness and lay the ground for a skillful
response...
Here are five tried and true contemplative practices from the Buddhist
tradition that can help us hold the truths of climate change, species
extinction, and the ecological crisis in our hearts and minds... these
practices are timely as we encounter the truth of suffering on a global
scale.
*1. Find a grounding in ethics*
Some people see climate change as an ecological issue. Some see it as an
economic issue. Some see it as a social issue. But, we know that human
actions are at fault. In this sense, climate change is an ethical issue....
...Later Buddhist traditions developed rules of conduct, oriented
towards compassion, such as the Bodhisattva precepts. These precepts
extend from the idea that bodhicitta, or wise compassion, is the ground
of ethical action and speech. We too can ground our activism, social
engagement, and resistance in wise compassion. We can make our activism
not about what we are working against, but what we are working for.
If we place our activism and relationship to the earth squarely among
our deepest values and beliefs, we are more likely to turn again and
again to the issue - not out of obligation, but out of genuine commitment.
*2. Get comfortable with uncertainty*
If there is one thing that climate scientists agree on, it is that we
don't know for certain what will happen as the earth warms. Evidence
indicates that tipping points and crises cannot be averted. We have no
how idea how much we can slow or ameliorate the suffering. We do not
even know how long our species - and others - can survive changes that
destabilize the conditions necessary for life. We are stepping into the
void...
...There is good reason to embrace the uncertainty of climate change as
a liberating practice. The more we fear uncertainty, the more likely we
are to avoid thinking about climate change. In fact, our worst enemy
might not be climate denial, but rather a subtle, subconscious rejection
of climate change, based on our fear of the unknown.
If, however, we embrace the truth of uncertainty, we can develop the
courage to stay open and engage with the world. If we can accept the
fragility of life on earth, we can invest ourselves in the possibility
of collective action.
*3. Work with emotions*
Along with the discomfort of uncertainty, climate change can evoke many
other difficult emotions. Witnessing ecosystem destruction and mass
extinction, we respond with grief and sorrow. Encountering denial and
global apathy, we experience anger. When we consider our children's
future, we experience trepidation and worry....
...In contemplative practice, anger can become an inspiration for
empathy. We discover that uncomfortable states, while they belong to us,
are not to our's alone. Many others also feel anger, including the
people we have othered. When we recognize that this is how so many
others feel, we can commune with the suffering of others. We redirect
our attention from the story stimulating anger to our empathy for all
those impacted by climate change - even the deniers. By redirecting our
focus from a polarizing narrative to a uniting one, we start building a
more sustainable platform for action.
*4. Access new wisdom*
In discussions about climate change, we seem to primarily access one way
of knowing - the intellect. The climate issue is couched in the language
of conceptual knowing. This conceptual approach - typified by Al Gore's
documentary, An Inconvenient Truth - is critically important. We need to
know what is happening, and why.
However, our response will be much more powerful and resilient if we
begin to access other ways of knowing, transforming
conceptually-motivated activism into an activism of the heart....
...There are two alternative ways of knowing that Buddhist practice and
meditation generally rely on: bodily wisdom and non-conceptual wisdom.
BODILY WISDOM
To encounter our human body is to encounter the natural world. We tend
to forget that we are mammalian primates! The closer we come to the
body, the closer we draw to the truth of our own wildness. This connects
us to the planetary wildness that we aspire to protect.
While the mind is tugged into the past and future, the body is fully
present. The body's present wakefulness is one of its great wisdoms, and
we can easily access that wisdom. It is as close to us as this moment's
inhale and exhale. While we want to stay mindful of creating a
sustainable future, we don't want to do that at the expense of missing
our life. The body reminds us that we are here, now, and our presence is
our most powerful resource.
NON-CONCEPTUAL WISDOM
Buddhist meditation also introduces us to the life beyond the conceptual
mind - non-conceptual ways of knowing. The wider truth is that human
experience is not just mental content. While we spend a great deal of
time enmeshed in our world of ideas, there is more to the
mental-emotional life than what we think and believe. There is a
non-conceptual space in which all of this content arises, and that space
can be sensed and widened through the experiences of body. In the
practice of the Great Perfection, this space is identified as naked
awareness, a part of our mind that is just experiencing, prior to
forming ideas about our experiences. The space of awareness can be
cultivated until it becomes a holding-environment for relative issues
such as climate change.
We can make our activism not about what we are working against, but what
we are working for.
As we begin to identify with non-conceptual space, we access a non-dual
mode of perception. In the non-dual mode of perception, the illusion of
separateness is perforated. This illusion of separateness may be one of
the root causes of the crisis we are in. When we are caught up in that
illusion, it becomes somehow okay that my consumption happens at your
expense. If we are to live sustainably, we need to get used to the idea
- nay, the reality - that we are all intimately connected. Meditation
leads us there.
*5. Find community*
A friend of mine once attended a City Council meeting in her local
community and ran into a woman who was repeatedly raising the issue of
banning plastic bags. Discouraged, the woman said that she could not
seem to earn the respect of the city council. My friend replied: "You
don't need respect. You need a friend. One person is a nut. Two people
are a wake-up call. Three people are a movement."...
...By practicing with ethics, uncertainty, emotion, wisdom, and
community, we develop an intimate understanding that being human is
about what we think and what we believe - and we deepen our ability to
embody our work.
Embodiment sends an indelible message that peace and sustainability can
become a lived reality. Even when they are imperfectly realized, we can
inspire the sense that our lives have meaning, and that we are living
our way into ever-increasing integrity with - and service to - our
beautiful, unfathomable and sacred world.
https://www.lionsroar.com/5-practices-to-help-you-skillfully-contemplate-climate-change/

*News Flash: Fox News Gets Climate Right
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/11/08/news-flash-fox-news-gets-climate-right/>*
https://climatecrocks.com/2017/11/08/news-flash-fox-news-gets-climate-right/

*(opinion) Why Bill Gates Is Wrong
<https://www.sitra.fi/en/blogs/bill-gates-wrong/>*
Oras Tynkkynen    SENIOR ADVISOR, CARBON-NEUTRAL CIRCULAR ECONOMY, SITRA
Bill Gates, billionaire philanthropist and technology visionary, has
been a strong advocate of low-carbon technology. Most recently, he
teamed up with colleagues such as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to
launch theBreakthrough Energy Coalition
<http://www.breakthroughenergycoalition.com/>- a massive effort to speed
up radical innovation.
As strong as his faith in innovation is his lack of trust in existing
technologies. He claimed to the Financial Times
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/4f66ff5c-1a47-11e5-a130-2e7db721f996.html#axzz3tBHdRN4v> that
current technologies could only reduce global carbon emissions at a
"beyond astronomical" economic cost.
In an interview for The Atlantic
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/11/we-need-an-energy-miracle/407881> he
claimed the world needs "an energy miracle". He continued: "If we just
have today's technologies, will the world run the scary climate-change
experiment of heating up the atmosphere and seeing what happens? You bet
we will."
Mr Gates is wrong. And that is good news for people and the planet.
The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra, together with distinguished partners
from 10 countries, recently released the study Green to Scale
<http://www.greentoscale.net/>. The report strived to answer a simple
question: how far can the world go by simply scaling up proven
low-carbon solutions?
What makes the analysis unique is the approach. Instead of theoretical
potentials, we only applied existing solutions to the extent that some
countries have already achieved today.
Let me give you an example. China is the undisputed leader in solar
water heating. We analysed the extent to which emissions can be reduced
if countries in similar circumstances reached the same level of solar
collector deployment by 2030 that China already has today. Quite a lot,
we found: equal to the current emissions of Belgium.
In all, we included 17 proven solutions from five different sectors. We
looked at concrete cases of success stories from different countries -
from Colombia to the US, from Denmark to China.
Put together, scaling up just this set of solutions can cut global
emissions by a quarter compared with today's levels. If coupled with
other existing solutions, this would take us to pathways compatible with
limiting global warming to a maximum of 2°C.
Would this happen at a "beyond astronomical" economic cost? Not at all.
The annual costs, averaged over time, would be at most $94 billion by
2030. That is equal to the GDP of the Slovak Republic or less than a
fifth of the global direct fossil fuel subsidies today.
This is the pessimistic end of the cost range. The average estimate
suggests that the world could actually save money by implementing these
solutions.
To be clear: no new technology is required - only what we already have
today. No new levels of achievement are assumed - only others achieving
what some have done already today.
The Green to Scale findings are largely supported by various other
studies, from the New Climate Economy reports
<http://newclimateeconomy.net/> to the Deep Decarbonization Pathways
Project <http://deepdecarbonization.org/>. We can reduce emissions to
sustainable pathways in the short and medium term with what we have
today. We do not - and we most definitely should not - wait for miracle
technologies and breakthroughs.
Mr Gates is of course right about the importance of innovation. Through
innovation we can make existing low-carbon technologies cheaper and more
effective. We can also uncover the solutions we will need in the long
run, when the world has to reach zero and eventually negative emissions.
We need to scale up existing low-carbon solutions rapidly. And at the
same time we need to invest heavily in innovation, just like Mr Gates is
suggesting (and doing).
This is the recipe for winning the climate fight.
/*Oras Tynkkynen*/
/This post was originally published
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/oras-tynkkynen/why-bill-gates-is-wrong_b_8747108.html> as
part of a "Nordic Solutions" series produced by The Huffington Post, in
conjunction with the U.N.'s 21st Conference of the Parties (COP21) in
Paris (Nov. 30-Dec. 11), aka the climate-change conference. The series
will put a spotlight on climate solutions from the five Nordic
countries, and is part of Huffington Post's What's Working
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/whats-working/> editorial
initiative. To view the entire series, visit here
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/paris-cop21/>./
https://www.sitra.fi/en/blogs/bill-gates-wrong/

Can Fossil Fuel Companies Be Held Liable for Climate Change Source
Tobacco litigator talks about RICO against Oil Industry
https://youtu.be/2QzWRVtP31A?t=25m33s
After 15 years of climate change litigation, the question of whether
anybody can be held legally liable for the adverse impacts of climate
change remains unanswered.  However, the Trump administration's effort
to roll back climate regulation in the United States; the devastation
caused by Hurricanes Maria, Irma and Harvey; developments in the science
of climate change attribution; and a handful of recent lawsuits filed by
cities and counties in California have put the question front and
center. This panel discussion will look at one particular set of
defendants - companies involved in the extraction, production and
marketing of fossil fuels. Panelists will summarize the current state of
attribution science, and present core legal arguments for and against
liability.

*Fog, smog and eco-drag: these climate change dramas are a breath of
fresh air
<https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/nov/07/fog-smog-and-eco-drag-performers-tackling-climate-change-shoot-the-breeze-festival>*
 From cabaret to a witty teenage odyssey, the Shoot the Breeze festival
at Camden People's theatre considers global warming and pollution in
striking style.
Was Shakespeare a chronicler of climate-change disaster? A Midsummer
Night's Dream presents nature in crisis, brought about by the
disruptions of the fairy and human worlds. In Joe Hill-Gibbins'glumly
dark revival
<https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/feb/24/a-midsummer-nights-dream-review-young-vic-london>at
the Young Vic this year, the stage was covered in mud, suggesting not
only how relationships get bogged down but also a sliding-away world of
rotting crops and drowned fields. As Titania proposes, it is down to us
to acknowledge responsibility for this "progeny of evils". But isn't it
odd that what is seen by many as one of the greatest challenges of our
time receives so little theatrical attention, particularly in the
mainstream?
Katie Mitchell
<https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/nov/05/climate-change-theatre-2071-katie-mitchell-duncan-macmillan>has
vowed to make one work a year that addresses environmental issues; at
the Royal Court, her collaborations with scientists in the dramatised
lectures Ten Billion and 2071 presented the world that our children -
and theirs - will inherit. This year the remarkable Slung Low have
produced a three-part epic,Flood
<https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/oct/01/flood-review-good-story-sadly-submerged-victoria-dock-hull-slung-low>,
in Hull, which is the 2017 city of culture and could also be one of the
firstUK cities to be drowned as sea levels rise
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/experts-fear-for-hulls-future-as-sea-levels-continue-to-rise-10285219.html>.
Maybe it is hard to make audiences face the facts when theatre companies
can be part of the problem. Buildings gobble resources and touring makes
a carbon footprint. The carbon-neutralArcola
<https://www.arcolatheatre.com/about/green/>in east London is still the
exception rather than the rule. Earlier this year, the Royal Shakespeare
Company staged a double bill,Myth and Earthworks
<https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/may/28/the-earthworks-myth-review-rsc-the-other-place-stratford-upon-avon>,
that pointed the finger at personal and governmental inaction. In Myth,
written by Kirsty Housley, a dinner party turns bad as dead birds flop
from the ceiling and oil runs down the walls. But why should we take
this warning seriously when the RSC continues to take sponsorship from BP?
In a 12-day festival in London,Shoot the Breeze
<https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/wp_theatre_season/shoot-the-breeze/>,
Camden People's theatre is addressing global warming, pollution and the
environment. The lineup has included a laid-back, cabaret-style
entertainment entitledFFS!!
<https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/production/ffs/>by Timberlina, "the bearded
drag lady who gives a shit", which gently sends up eco-anxiety. The show
teases rather than preaches as Timberlina satirises middle-class and
hipster concerns around upcycling and wood-burning stoves. Anxiety was
also the theme ofLouise White <http://www.louisewhitetheatrician.com/>'s
work in progressThe Dead Sea
<https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/production/the-dead-sea/>, an image-rich
show about a marine biologist who is investigating the effects of
plastic in the oceans on the food chain, and has become scared of the
sea. The Dead Sea will tour the east Midlands early next year, by which
time its metaphor about how fear paralyses and stops us changing the
future should be a keener one.
Later on at Shoot the Breeze, the all-female theatre ensemble Urban
Foxes Collective will consider the ethics of reproduction in an
overpopulated world in their showFloods
<https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/production/floods/>. The festival's
centrepiece production is Fog Everywhere, directed by Guardian
journalistBrian Logan <https://www.theguardian.com/profile/brianlogan>,
made in collaboration with local teenagers and with scientific input
from the Lung Biology Group at King's College London. In the show, a
group of young people consider their future as they try to breathe in a
city that this year had breached its targeted annual limit on air
pollutionby 5 January
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/06/london-breaches-toxic-air-pollution-limit-for-2017-in-just-five-days>.
As in The Dead Sea, mental health is an issue: could pollution be a
factor in the panic attacks one girl graphically describes?
This is a show about personal responsibility that looks back to the smog
of the Victorian era and, in particular, Robert Louis Stevenson's
descriptions of it inThe Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/aug/16/ian-rankin-dr-jekyll-mr-hyde>.
But it also has its eye on the future. The young people describe their
own lives and the way they want to be living in 2040 when they will be
approaching the age of 40. Most of them don't want to raise children in
London.
There are balloon-blowing competitions, personal revelations, an attempt
to sell us canned air and lots of irreverent teenage wit. Great play is
made of grime music and the griminess of the city. The show constantly
balances the perks of living in a city with the perils, including its
unseen pollution. During the work's 65-minute duration, the roar of
traffic on Hampstead Road can be clearly heard inside the theatre.
At one point, a teenager holds a torch up in the dark, trying to show us
what cannot be seen: the invisible particles that poison the air. Maybe
we haven't progressed as far as we like to think from the dirty air of
Victorian London: more than9,000 Londoners die each year from pollution
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/nearly-9500-people-die-each-year-in-london-because-of-air-pollution-study>.
These youngsters make you think about every breath you take.
•Fog Everywhere
<https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/production/fog-everywhere/>andShoot the
Breeze festival <https://www.cptheatre.co.uk/>continue at Camden
People's theatre, London, until 11 November. Box office: 020-7419 4841.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/nov/07/fog-smog-and-eco-drag-performers-tackling-climate-change-shoot-the-breeze-festival

*This Day in Climate History November  9,  2014
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/11/09/scientists-speak-climate-change/Ht0r44A5PWPmr4uJL8167N/story.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
November 9, 2014: Boston Globe columnist James Carroll observes:

    "What would it take for the public to get clear both on the
    unanimity of climate scientists, and on the urgency of what they see
    coming? An answer from the recent past suggests itself: scientists,
    instead of merely providing activists and journalists with
    irrefutable climate data, must leave their cloistered laboratories
    to become activists themselves. Scientists must take to the streets
    and lead, even if that means taking hits in the contentious public
    square."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/11/09/scientists-speak-climate-change/Ht0r44A5PWPmr4uJL8167N/story.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that