[TheClimate.Vote] November 18, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 18 09:21:30 EST 2017

/November 18, 2017
/
*Trump Administration Bid to Stop Kids Climate Case Gets December Court
Date
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/11/17/trump-climate-change-lawsuit-juliana/>*
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals announced on Thursday that it will
hear oral arguments on Dec. 11 regarding a writ of mandamus filed by the
government in Juliana v United States.  In that case, 21 young people
are suing the Trump administration for failing to protect their future
against climate change.
Attorneys for the government filed the writ of mandamus after U.S.
District Court Judge Ann Aiken denied their request to have the case
dismissed.
A writ of mandamus is a rarely used and even more rarely approved legal
maneuver in which a superior court is asked to order a lower court or
government agency to comply with the law. It is usually granted under
extraordinary circumstances and is considered a legal last resort.
Appeals are normally filed after the trial is held and evidence is
presented, but a mandamus appeal could allow the federal government to
avoid the discovery process and have the suit dismissed. The case has
been paused since July pending a decision on this and other motions.
"This Administration can respond to the limited discovery we seek, and
put on its junk climate science at trial in a court of law," said Julia
Olson, co-counsel for the plaintiffs. "What it can't do is shut the
courthouse doors to real constitutional injuries brought by these young
people."
In the suit, the young plaintiffs allege the federal government has
failed to protect them, their families and future generations from the
effects of climate change and say that the government must enact
science-based plan to protect the planet.
Arguments will be heard at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San
Francisco.
"While there is no set timeline for the Ninth Circuit panel to issue a
decision, we hope the urgency of the climate crisis is dictating this
fast-track briefing and argument schedule," said Gregory.
"We can't delay anymore because climate change is an ongoing problem,"
said 10-year-old plaintiff Levi Draheim.
"We need to deal with it right now and start reducing the things that
are causing it," said Draheim."When we win the oral arguments, we can
move on and start talking about how to fix the problem not just talk
about it."
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/11/17/trump-climate-change-lawsuit-juliana/

*US Is Acting 'Like a 5-Year-Old' Over Global Warming, EU Official Says
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-17/trump-s-america-first-foreign-policy-erodes-work-on-climate>*
"This is the worst moment for the Americans to start behaving like a
five-year old all of a sudden," Christian Ehler, a German member of the
European Parliament who speaks on EU and U.S. relations at the climate
change talks, said in an interview. "The leader of the western world is
stepping out of the multilateral framework used to tackle the most
dramatic problem the world might be facing in the next 100 years."
Old divisions emerged between richer and poorer nations. India, whose
pollution levels are rising faster than any other industrial nation,
stressed the need to include "equity" in the discussions, allowing it to
keep expanding its emissions. China sought to differentiate
responsibilities between developed and developing countries, a move that
would expand its wiggle room in meeting commitments.
Even the leaders of France and Germany showed a split as they attempted
to lead a diplomatic charge to keep the global warming fight on track.
French President Emmanuel Macron called for a minimum price on carbon
pollution while German Chancellor Angela Merkel defended her country's
use of coal and the need to preserve jobs in industry.
There was little progress from rich nations in saying when they'd
achieve the goal of advancing $100 billion a year for developing-world
climate projects, a target they've promised to achieve by 2020.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-17/trump-s-america-first-foreign-policy-erodes-work-on-climate

*Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota
<http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html>*
A total of 210,000 gallons of oil leaked Thursday from the Keystone
Pipeline in South Dakota, the pipeline's operator, TransCanada, said.
The Keystone Pipeline debate in 2 minutes 01:47 *(video)
<http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html>*
Crews shut down the pipeline Thursday morning, and officials are
investigating the cause of the leak, which occurred about three miles
southeast of the town of Amherst, said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the
state's Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
This is the largest Keystone oil spill to date in South Dakota, Walsh
said. The leak comes just days before Nebraska officials announce a
decision on whether the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline, a sister project,
can move forward...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html

*(video) Climate Without Borders: Meet a Meteorologist Who Dares to Say
"Climate Change" in Weather Reports <https://youtu.be/L-uTVhy7EwY>*
Democracy Now     Nov 17, 2017
https://youtu.be/L-uTVhy7EwY
-
*Climate Without Borders <http://www.climatewithoutborders.org>*
climate isn't only about the planet, it is about the people you care about
http://www.climatewithoutborders.org/#what
-*
World Meteorological Organization <https://public.wmo.int/en>*
WMO provides world leadership and expertise in international cooperation
in the delivery and use of high-quality, authoritative weather, climate,
hydrological and related environmental services by its Members, for the
improvement of the well-being of societies of all nations.
https://public.wmo.int/en
*-**
**International Organization for Migration (IOM) <http://www.iom.int/>*
IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of
migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners.
With 166 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and
offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and
orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing
services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration,
to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in
the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide
humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and
internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic,
social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of
movement.
http://www.iom.int/

*'We should be on the offensive' - James Hansen calls for wave of
climate lawsuits
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/17/we-should-be-on-the-offensive-james-hansen-calls-for-wave-of-climate-lawsuits?CMP=share_btn_tw>*
Veteran climate scientist says litigation campaign against government
and fossil fuels companies is essential alongside political mobilisation
in fighting 'growing, mortal threat' of global warming
One of the fathers of climate science is calling for a wave of lawsuits
against governments and fossil fuel companies that are delaying action
on what he describes as the growing, mortal threat of global warming.
Former Nasa scientist James Hansen says the litigate-to-mitigate
campaign is needed alongside political mobilisation because judges are
less likely than politicians to be in the pocket of oil, coal and gas
companies.
"The judiciary is the branch of government in the US and other countries
that is relatively free of bribery. And bribery is exactly what is going
on," he told the Guardian on the sidelines of the UN climate talks in
Bonn...
Hansen is putting his words into action. He is involved in a 2015
lawsuit against the US federal government, brought by his granddaughter
and 20 others under the age of 21. They argue the government's failure
to curb CO2 emissions has violated the youngest generation's
constitutional rights to life, liberty, and property.
A district court is due to hear the case in February in Oregon, though
the federal government has tried to delay the case...
Three degrees would be disastrous. You can imagine the planet becoming
ungovernable because we would lose the coastal cities where most people
live … You'll see migrants from those parts of the world and also so
much disruption to the centres of wealth. So we can't go down that path."
Hansen is a believer in direct action. "I've been arrested five times.
The idea was to draw attention to injustice," he says. He has also
testified on behalf of others who have lost their liberty during climate
campaigns. On January, he will speak in defence of an activist who
turned off the tar sands pipeline in North Dakota.
But he says litigation and political mobilisation are more effective
than protests.
"Those are defence. We should be on the offensive. The lawsuits versus
Trump and the fossil fuel industry are offence. People should use the
democratic process," he says. "That's our best chance. It's better than
getting arrested."
"We are entering a period of consequences and are in danger of being too
late," he warned. "I have come to note that greenhouse gas climate
forcings are accelerating, not decelerating, and sea-level rise and
ocean acidification are accelerating. We confront a mortal threat, now
endangering the very existence of island and low-lying nations in the
Pacific and around the planet. Accordingly, ambition must be increased
and enforced."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/17/we-should-be-on-the-offensive-james-hansen-calls-for-wave-of-climate-lawsuits?CMP=share_btn_tw

*(video) Global Climate Change & U.S Interests: Dr John Holdren (October
2017) <https://youtu.be/Ax9zaR2KUkM>*
Understanding Climate Change
Published on Nov 16, 2017
Global Climate Change & U.S Interests: Dr John Holdren (October 2017)
https://youtu.be/Ax9zaR2KUkM

*The Changing Colors of our Living Planet - NASA
<https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/the-changing-colors-of-our-living-planet>*
Life. It's the one thing that, so far, makes Earth unique among the
thousands of other planets we've discovered. Since the fall of 1997,
NASA satellites have continuously and globally observed all plant life
at the surface of the land and ocean.
(video) Our Living Planet From Space <https://youtu.be/3oIcJBiynvw>
https://youtu.be/3oIcJBiynvw
Since the fall of 1997, NASA satellites have continuously and globally
observed all plant life at the surface of the land and ocean. Twenty
years of satellite data has helped scientists track phytoplankton
populations in the ocean, study changing vegetation in the Arctic
reaches of North America, monitor crop yields and more.
Credits: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center
Download this video in HD formats from NASA Goddard's Scientific
Visualization Studio <https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12777>
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/the-changing-colors-of-our-living-planet
-
*From space, satellites can see Earth breathe
<https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mollweide_cycle.gif>*
A new NASA visualization shows 20 years of continuous observations of
plant life on land and at the ocean's surface, from September 1997 to
September 2017. On land, vegetation appears on a scale from brown (low
vegetation) to dark green (lots
of vegetation); at the ocean surface, phytoplankton are indicated on a
scale from purple (low) to yellow (high). This visualization was created
with data from satellites including SeaWiFS, and instruments including
the NASA/NOAA Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite and the Moderate
Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer.
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mollweide_cycle.gif

*Scientists aim to fight climate change with super plants
<http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-climate-change-plants-20171117-htmlstory.html>*
Friday, researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in San
Diego launched a new initiative to improve on the ability of plants to
suck carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and store it deep in the soil.
They call it "Harnessing Plants."
All plants make a substance called suberin that protects their roots.
You are likely familiar with suberin even if you don't know it. It's the
same material as the cork in your wine bottle or on your corkboard. It's
also the material that makes up the skin of a potato.
Michael Strano, a chemical engineer who works with plants at MIT, noted
that there are several advantages of using plants to sequester carbon.
The only energy they need to do their work is harvested from the sun,
plus they can regenerate themselves and are capable of self-repair.
"We need to start thinking in the direction of carbon sequestration and
I think plants are going to be a big part of that," he said.
Already the Salk Institute has invested more than $7 million in the
initiative, including building six high-tech climate control rooms that
will allow the researchers to test seeds in a variety of climates, and
future climates, from around the world.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-climate-change-plants-20171117-htmlstory.html

*This Day in Climate History November 18, 2008
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvG2XptIEJk> -  from D.R. Tucker*
November 18, 2008: President-elect Obama addresses the Global Climate
Summit in Los Angeles, California via a pre-taped speech, declaring that
his administration will be committed to reducing carbon pollution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvG2XptIEJk
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that