[TheClimate.Vote] October 10, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Oct 10 09:12:34 EDT 2017

/October 10, 2017/*

Today: California Is Burning
<http://www.latimes.com/newsletters/la-me-todays-headlines-20171010-story.html>*
http://www.latimes.com/newsletters/la-me-todays-headlines-20171010-story.html
*80,000 acres in 18 hours: Damage from historic California wine country
wildfires comes into focus
<http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/10/09/80000-acres-in-18-hours-damage-from-historic-california-wine-country-wildfires-comes-into-focus/>*
Monday marked the latest chapter in a book of unforgettable Octobers for
California residents and firefighters alike, right next to the
especially devastating fall months in 2003 and 2007.
http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/10/09/80000-acres-in-18-hours-damage-from-historic-california-wine-country-wildfires-comes-into-focus/*
Canyon Fire 2 has destroyed 6000 acres and 24 structures, threatening
another 5000
<http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/09/brush-fire-burning-25-acres-in-anaheim-hills/>
*The biggest fire to hit Orange County in nearly a decade destroyed at
least 24 structures Monday and threatened hundreds more, forcing several
thousand people to evacuate dozens of neighborhoods in Anaheim, Orange
and Tustin.
The so-called Canyon Fire 2, named because flames scorched dry, rugged
hills just to the west less than a month ago, burned more than 6,000
acres and by late evening was less than 10 percent contained.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/09/brush-fire-burning-25-acres-in-anaheim-hills/
*(BBC) California fires: Deadly wildfires sweep through wine country
<http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41559875>
*Mass evacuations have been announced as several others are reportedly
missing.
About 20,000 people have fled from Napa, Sonoma and Yuba counties after
fires broke out across the area renowned for its vineyards.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41559875*
Wildfires Strain State Budgets
<http://www.governing.com/topics/finance/sl-wildfires-states-budget.html>
*http://www.governing.com/topics/finance/sl-wildfires-states-budget.html*

EPA Chief Announces Reversal Of Obama-Era Curbs On Coal Plants
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRo-ecjubWAhWIjlQKHUu0B2QQqQIIJSgAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Fsections%2Fthetwo-way%2F2017%2F10%2F09%2F556659194%2Fepa-chief-announces-reversal-of-obama-era-curbs-on-coal-plants&usg=AOvVaw3-6znl1PYAtdIsGx_CgFyD>
*"The EPA and no federal agency should ever use its authority to say to
you we are going to declare war on any sector of our economy," Pruitt ...
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/09/556659194/epa-chief-announces-reversal-of-obama-era-curbs-on-coal-plants*
(Audio) Trump White House Reverses Obama-Era Curbs On Coal Plants
<http://www.npr.org/2017/10/10/556795221/trump-white-house-reverses-obama-era-curbs-on-coal-plants>
*Rachel Martin talks to former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy, who
helped finalize the Clean Power Plan. She talks to Rachel Martin about
the Trump administration's moves to scrap that rule.
http://www.npr.org/2017/10/10/556795221/trump-white-house-reverses-obama-era-curbs-on-coal-plants*

Global Warming Since 1850. In 2 Minutes
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/09/global-warming-since-1850-in-2-minutes/>
*October 9, 2017
The estimable Robert Rohde of Berkeley Earth has an updated graph.
The man who hired him, Richard Muller, you may remember, is a PhD
physicist who made a splash a few years back as a self styled climate
skeptic, said a bunch of pretty inexcusable things about climate
scientists, and scored a big grant from the Koch Brothers to restudy
global temperature records from the ground up.
To his credit, Dr. Muller hired some smart people, did an honest job,
and came up with the same answer that everyone else has for the last 50
years or so. Still no apologies to the good men and women he slandered,
but at least, as you see below, he's telling. the story straight.
data from Berkeley Earth http://berkeleyearth.org/global-warming-2016/
https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/09/global-warming-since-1850-in-2-minutes/
*

OUR CHANGING CLIMATE MIND-SET...
<http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/our_changing_climate_mind_set>*
By ROBERT JAY LIFTON     OCT. 7, 2017 *
*Climate images have never been able to convey our full planetary danger
until now. The extraordinary recent four-punch sequence of hurricanes -
Harvey, Irma, Jose and Maria - threatened the lives of millions of
people, obliterated their homes and has raised doubts that some places
will ever recover. The rest of us have a newly immediate sense of
catastrophes of biblical proportions. As meaning-hungry creatures we
search for explanations. No wonder some have embraced the apocalyptic
narrative of total destruction by an angry deity. And no wonder that
climate-change rejecters like President Trump have increasing difficulty
defending their position...
But does this mean that we attribute this menace to global warming and
to human contributions to that warming? My answer here is yes and no and
yes again.
Yes: Scientists warn that hurricanes are made worse by the warming of
the atmosphere and the oceans and by the increased storm surge caused by
higher sea levels. Climate change can thus amplify disasters into
catastrophes.
No: There are still voices ridiculing this conclusion. About the
record-breaking intensity of Hurricane Irma, Mr. Trump said that "we've
had bigger storms than this." And Scott Pruitt, the administrator of the
Environmental Protection Agency, took righteous exception to discussing
the "cause and effect of these storms" as "very, very insensitive to the
people in Florida." Both were engaging in climate rejection rather than
denial. Because with climate truths so widely disseminated and accepted,
both know in some part of their minds that global warming is real and
threatening.
http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/our_changing_climate_mind_set*
-
Most Americans Want Climate Change Policies
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/most-americans-want-climate-change-policies/>
*But in a new poll, half say they would not pay more on their electric
bill to help lower emissions
The poll suggested the public knows little about specific energy issues,
with money driving people's views more than health or environmental
considerations.
Most respondents said they would support policies to lower emissions,
but half said they would be unwilling to pay even $1 more on their
electric bill to do so. If climate policies cost an extra $10 per month,
60 percent of respondents said they would oppose them.
Political leanings-more than income, education or geographic
location-were the biggest indicator of whether someone would pay a
modest fee to combat climate change.
Other studies have also suggested politics has more to do with attitudes
toward climate policy than with economics.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/most-americans-want-climate-change-policies/*

Chris Werle: Science, religion aren't in opposition when it comes to
climate change
<http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/10/08/chris-werle-science-religion-arent-opposition-when-comes-climate-change/733635001/>*
Scriptural passages can be found that apply to nearly any challenge we
might encounter, and the need for environmental stewardship is no
exception. Consider Genesis 2:15: "Then the Lord God took the man and
put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it." Or Leviticus
25:23-24: "The land shall not be sold in perpetuity, for the land is
mine; with me you are but aliens and tenants. Throughout the land that
you hold, you shall provide for the redemption of the land." These
passages and many others like them provide a clear directive for
maintaining a clean and healthy environment.
And when we consider the increasingly important, yet politically
unpopular topic of man-made climate change over the past decade, almost
every major Christian religion has made public pronouncements of support
for climate action:
*- Anglican, 2011:* "The scriptures call humanity to a careful
stewardship of creation.  Man-made climate change is given urgent
priority for reflection, study and action. We press government, industry
and civil society on the moral imperative of taking action." (A
Statement on Climate Change by the Primates of the Anglican Communion,
following the Primates' meeting in Dublin, Ireland)
*- Episcopal, 2012:* "The 77th General Convention calls on the church to
work for the transformation of the world's energy away from fossil fuels
and toward renewable energy, and to support the implementation of
solutions to climate change." (The Acts of Convention of the Episcopal
Church, Resolution 2012-B023. General Convention, Journal of the 77th
General Convention of the Episcopal Church, Indianapolis)
*- Judaism, 2008:* "The Jewish community is united in its belief that
climate change is occurring, and we affirm our responsibility to address
this planetary crisis. We support aggressive climate change legislation
to reduce carbon concentrations by 80 percent by 2050, and reduce
emissions by 25-40 percent by 2020. The United States should lead by
example to facilitate the global transition to a low-carbon economy."
(Jewish Community Priorities for Climate and Energy Policy, from the
Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life)
*- Presbyterian, 2010: *"We affirm that science should inform our
policy, especially concerning emergent environmental issues such as
global climate change." (Presbyterian Church USA, Call to Restore the
Creation, the 219th General Assembly  of the Presbyterian Church)
*- Roman Catholic, 2010:* "Climate change is at the center of the
environmental challenges facing our nation and the world. Urgent action
that both addresses the growing impact of climate change and acts to
protect the poor and vulnerable is needed." (United States Conference of
Catholic Bishops (USCCB), Global Climate Change)
*- Southern Baptist, 2008: *"Global climate change is among the current
era's challenges that require a unified moral voice. To abandon these
issues to the secular world is to shirk from our responsibility to be
salt and light. The time for timidity regarding God's creation is no
more. Therefore, in the face of intense concern and guided by the
biblical principle of creation stewardship, we resolve to engage this
issue without any further lingering over the basic reality of the
problem or our responsibility to address it. Humans must be proactive
and take responsibility for our contributions to climate change." (A
Southern Baptist Declaration on the Environment and Climate Change)
*- United Methodist, 2008:* "We call on our members to reduce
human-related outputs of greenhouse gases; to learn about and make their
congregations more aware of the issue of global warming; to call on the
nations of the world to require reductions in emissions." (The United
Methodist Church, Resolution on Global Warming, Resolution #1031, 2008
Book of Resolutions)
*- Unitarian Universalist, 2006: *"We are called to halt practices that
fuel global warming, to instigate sustainable alternatives, and to
mitigate the impending effects of global warming with ethical
Conscience)
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/10/08/chris-werle-science-religion-arent-opposition-when-comes-climate-change/733635001/

*(video) Inside the Experiment: Abrupt Change and Ice Cores *
<https://youtu.be/sKR3e0fhiKQ>
Oct 3, 2017
Jorgen Peder Steffensen, of Denmark's Niels Bohr Institute, is one of
the most experienced experts in ice core analysis, in both Greenland and
Antarctica. Dr. Steffensen explained to videographer Peter Sinclair his
concerns about possible abrupt climate changes.
https://youtu.be/sKR3e0fhiKQ

*(Video) Betsy Hartmann: Optimism is Essential for Social Change
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5NyFcmvVI>*
We're told to "be the change we want to see"-but what if we can't see
it? Tracing our nation's fixation with doomsday from the Puritans to the
present, author and Hampshire College professor Betsy Hartmann argues
that fatalism and apocalyptic thinking is a curse on the American
mindset that restricts our capacity to imagine social change. Her latest
work, The America Syndrome: Apocalypse, War and Our Call to Greatness,
presents an optimistic perspective that feels custom made for many of us
in the current cultural moment: we have more control over the future
than we think. Instead of imagining our doom, Hartmann helps us envision
a better tomorrow.
Thanks to Seattle Town Hall and University Book Store
Recorded, 6/26/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5NyFcmvVI

*(media ethics opinion) Retransmission Blackouts During Disasters Hurt
All*
<http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107928/retrans-blackouts-during-disasters-hurt-all>
To allow station blackouts in the middle of a retrans fight when
hurricanes or other disasters loom as Lilly Broadcasting and Hearst did
is not too smart. In addition to possibly depriving viewers of access to
vital information, it gives retrans foes more ammunition in their fight
against this valuable second revenue stream.
Don't be stupid, broadcasters.
When a hurricane approaches, make sure that cable and satellite
operators serving subscribers in its path are able to carry your signals
even if you are in the middle of an ugly retransmission consent fight.
You're always talking about how vital your local news is to public
safety. You can't just disappear then when the communities you serve are
faced with devastation and death.
You would think that this would go without saying. But we learned again
this week that it doesn't.
With the people of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands still shaken badly
by Hurricane Maria last Saturday night, Lilly Broadcasting's news and
weather cable service, One Caribbean Television, went dark on the Dish
Network because of a retrans/carriage fee standoff also involving
Lilly's stations in Erie, Pa.; Honolulu; and Elmira, N.Y.
Dish immediately raced out a press release blasting Lilly for abandoning
it responsibilies.
"Lilly is further blinding the citizens of Puerto Rico and the U.S.
Virgin Islands at this time, showing an unbelievable lack of
compassion," said Dish EVP Warren Schlichting in the release. "During
this humanitarian crisis, it's critical for people to have access to
more information, not less, whether one home or 10,000 can access these
stations."
It stopped short of blaming the Lilly family for whipping up the storm
itself.
On Monday morning the American Cable Association, which has been waging
a never-ending campaign to win retrans relief in Washington, jumped in
to make sure everybody on its email list was aware of what had happened.
The next day, citing the blackout, it asked FCC Chairman Ajit Pai to ban
broadcasters from withholding signals during disasters, implying that in
their avarice broadcasters could not be trusted.
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107928/retrans-blackouts-during-disasters-hurt-all

*Beautiful light projections on the Tasman Glacier highlight impact of
climate change – video
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2017/oct/09/beautiful-light-projections-on-the-tasman-glacier-highlight-global-warmings-impact-video>*
A short film shot by Heath Patterson captures photographer Vaughan
Brookfield and Tom Lynch's journey to a New Zealand glacier equipped
with hundreds of kilograms of gear and a light projector. Their plan was
to project images on to the rapidly receding Tasman Glacier. Brookfield
says: 'We want to remind people of the effects humans are having on the
environment'
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2017/oct/09/beautiful-light-projections-on-the-tasman-glacier-highlight-global-warmings-impact-video

*This Day in Climate History October 10, 2009
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/opinion/11kerrygraham.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
October 10, 2009: In a New York Times opinion piece, Senators John
Kerry and Lindsey Graham express confidence that bipartisan
climate-change legislation will receive 60 votes in the Senate. Graham
would later disavow support for such legislation, setting the stage
for its demise in 2010.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/opinion/11kerrygraham.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to this mailing. /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that