[TheClimate.Vote] October 20, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Oct 20 10:12:24 EDT 2017

/October 20 , 2017/

*Climate change at work? Weather Service calls for third straight mild
winter.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/10/19/climate-change-at-work-weather-service-calls-for-third-straight-mild-winter/>*
For the third time in as many years, the nation  -  on balance  - should
expect warmer-than-normal temperatures, according to the National
Weather Service, which released its winter outlook on Thursday.
The Weather Service favors warmer-than-normal conditions for the
southern two-thirds of the Lower 48, including the Mid-Atlantic. Only a
sliver of the Northern Plains and Pacific Northwest is expected to
experience colder-than-normal temperatures...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/10/19/climate-change-at-work-weather-service-calls-for-third-straight-mild-winter/

*Insects Are In Serious Trouble
<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/10/oh-no/543390/>*
Between 1989 and 2016, the average weight of insects that were caught
between May and October fell by an astonishing 77 percent. Over the same
period, the weight of insects caught in the height of summer, when these
creatures should be at their buzziest, fell by 82 percent...
This is, to put it mildly, a huge problem.
Insects are the lynchpins of many ecosystems. Around 60 percent of birds
rely on them for food. Around 80 percent of wild plants depend on them
for pollination. If they disappear, ecosystems everywhere will collapse.
But also, insects are the most diverse and numerous group of animals on
the planet. If they're in trouble, we're all in trouble.
There's a debate about whether the Earth is in the middle of a sixth
extinction - an exceptionally severe period of biological annihilation
of the kind that has only happened five times before.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/10/oh-no/543390/
*More than 75 percent decline over 27 years in total flying insect
biomass in protected areas - PLOS
<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185809>*
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185809

*Climate Liability Plaintiffs Brace for Industry’s Retaliation Tactics
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/10/19/climate-liability-oil-industry-intimidation/>*
"It would be almost unthinkable that a fossil fuel company, represented
by lawyers from the nation’s largest and most prestigious law firms,
would file a lawsuit accusing a municipal government of civil conspiracy
for seeking damages for climate impacts," Burger said. "Then again, how
many times have we had to say ‘That’s unprecedented!’ in recent years?"
  the fossil fuel industry is increasingly turning to state legislatures
to go to bat for them.
"Exxon and other companies will go to friendly state legislatures and
state governments and try to head off completely legit litigation by
that political root," Muffett said.
He cited a bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives early
this year that proposed to bar a defendant’s "theories, beliefs or
statements on climate change or global warming" from being used as
evidence in a fraud case.
If the bill had passed, it could have barred Exxon from having to
disclose evidence in climate liability cases, according to the Austin
American Statesman. The bill stalled in committee...
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2017/10/19/climate-liability-oil-industry-intimidation/

BBC Science and Environment
*A brief history of the Earth's CO2
<http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41671770>*
Climate change has been described as one of the biggest problems faced
by humankind. Carbon dioxide is is the primary driver of global warming.
Prof Joanna Haigh from Imperial College London explains why this gas has
played a crucial role in shaping the Earth's climate.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41671770

*(opinion) Is climate change Hollywood's new supervillain? | Film | The
Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/oct/19/climate-change-hollywood-new-supervillain-geostorm-blade-runner-2049-downsizing>*
Eco-thriller Geostorm, with Gerard Butler as a weather-busting
scientist, is the latest movie to battle the environment. From Blade
Runner 2049 to Alexander Payne's Downsizing, film are turning up the
heat on the big screen.
Previously, we looked to the multiplex to vicariously experience the
catastrophic aftermath of freak super-storms and monster tsunamis; now
we see these images appear with increasing and distressing regularity in
the news.
Perhaps that is why climate change is a common theme across a broad
range of movies this year, either as an obvious baddie or a subtextual
spectre. The forthcoming eco-thriller Geostorm optimistically suggests
that we could circumvent the cataclysmic heavy weather caused by climate
change if only we tasked someone like scientist-astronaut Gerard Butler
to invent a network of weather-controlling satellites. But when that
system malfunctions, the planet reaps the whirlwind (not to mention
mega-storms and tidal waves). Director Dean Devlin, who produced
Independence Day with Emmerich, seems keen to outdo his old partner in
terms of on-screen mass obliteration, with cities such as Dubai, Tokyo
and Moscow in his apocalyptic sights. Whether global audiences will be
excited by such destruction after recent natural disasters in Mexico,
Sierra Leone, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, remains to be seen.
Postapocalyptic sci-fi will always be a popular film playground, but
increasingly it seems as if we are being invited to look at worlds worn
out rather that instantly shattered. Before it blasted into space,
Christopher Nolan's Interstellar
<https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/05/interstellar-review-christopher-nolan-matthew-mcconaughey>
painted a plausible portrait of the US as a parched, crop-free dustbowl
beyond resuscitation. Earlier this year, Logan presented a harsh,
scrappy near future that looked as exhausted as its ailing hero, a
planet teetering towards a more relatable kind of collapse than the
apocalyptic threats of superhero cinema.
A shared anxiety about how we have abused our planet and how it might
ultimately retaliate has seeped into recent cinema in other intriguing
ways. Darren Aronofsky's densely allegorical Mother!
<https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/05/mother-review-jennifer-lawrence-horror-darren-aronofsky-javier-bardem>
encourages any number of environmental interpretations, with Jennifer
Lawrence as a barefoot earth mother whose Edenic dream home is invaded
by selfish, rapacious squatters - an intensifying nightmare that leaves
her traumatised but mostly bewildered. Despite its surreal,
disorientating escalations, the central message is consistent: what is
wrong with these people? How can they do this?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/oct/19/climate-change-hollywood-new-supervillain-geostorm-blade-runner-2049-downsizing..
In the forthcoming Downsizing
<https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/30/downsizing-review-alexander-payne-matt-damon-venice-film-festival-2017>,
Oscar-winning writer-director Alexander Payne imagines a near future
where eco-conscious Norwegians have developed a sci-fi shrink-ray that
can zap people, such as stressed everyman Matt Damon, down to just five
inches in height. Everything about this growing community of
nu-Lilliputians is smaller - particularly their carbon footprint. In the
film, the procedure is marketed as a quasi-altruistic lifestyle choice
that doubles as a lottery win, suggesting participants will improve the
planet's sustainability as well as artificially extending their savings.
Payne's movie is a sociocomic parable that has the reassuring presence
of Damon at its centre, an actor audiences have seen surviving in tough
environments
<https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/01/the-martian-review-matt-damon-ridley-scott>.
But with the shrinking process irreversible, Downsizing seems to make a
subtle but important point, one arguably as frightening as any
large-scale disaster movie where a catastrophe annihilates humanity. Any
real-world solution to our inescapable climate change problem is likely
to be similarly and uncomfortably extreme - an even more inconvenient
truth. Until we overcome our indifference to this monumental problem,
the outlook is only going to get worse.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/oct/19/climate-change-hollywood-new-supervillain-geostorm-blade-runner-2049-downsizing
*Geostorm movie review: a climate change disaster-palooza so bad it's
good
<https://dailyreview.com.au/geostorm-movie-review-climate-change-disaster-palooza-bad-good/67059/>*
"To appreciate this film, which I suppose can be rationalised in the
context of a guilty pleasure, one needs to be on the same page as it -
which is to say, somewhere semi-illiterate."
(video)GEOSTORM - OFFICIAL TRAILER 2 <https://youtu.be/EuOlYPSEzSc>
https://youtu.be/EuOlYPSEzSc
https://dailyreview.com.au/geostorm-movie-review-climate-change-disaster-palooza-bad-good/67059/

/[ $hameless ask for personal computers to help gather clean air data ]/
PurpleAir.org   Weather Underground needs your help to gather air
pollution data.
When you install an air pollution monitor, you protect yourself and
others in your community from dirty air.
Buy the Best Air Pollution Monitor
<https://www.purpleair.com/?utm_source=wunderground&utm_medium=web>
Why We Recommend PurpleAir
Air pollution experts affiliated with Weather Underground have evaluated
several air pollution monitoring devices and have determined that the
PurpleAir PA-II is the best device for most people to track the
deadliest type of air pollution.
Buy a PurpleAir Sensor
<https://www.purpleair.com/?utm_source=wunderground&utm_medium=web>
https://www.purpleair.com/?utm_source=wunderground&utm_medium=web
A proven air quality monitoring solution for home enthusiasts and air
quality professionals alike.
Using a new generation of laser particle counters to provide real time
measurement of (amongst other data), PM1.0, PM2.5 and PM10. PurpleAir
sensors are easy to install, requiring a power outlet and WiFi. They use
WiFi to report in real time to the PurpleAir Map. $133  to  $289

*This Day in Climate History October 20, 2012
<http://youtu.be/BUBbLbMbvfc>   -  from D.R. Tucker*
October 20, 2012: On MSNBC's "Up," Chris Hayes condemns President Obama,
GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, and CNN's Candy Crowley for
remaining silent on climate in the most recent presidential debate.
http://youtu.be/BUBbLbMbvfc

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///

Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that