[TheClimate.Vote] October 23, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 23 09:14:21 EDT 2017

/October 23, 2017/
*
(video) On Contact: Climate Crisis with James Hansen
<https://youtu.be/zt8EUMu6S7c>*
RT interview by Chris Hedges
Dr. James Hansen, former director of NASA's Goddard Institute and
Adjunct Professor at Columbia University's Earth Institute, discusses
the urgent need to radically change our relationship with the planet.
RT Correspondent Anya Parampil looks at the accelerating pace of climate
change.
https://youtu.be/zt8EUMu6S7c 27mins

*
Gagged. EPA Scientists Forbidden to Speak on Climate Research
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/22/gagged-epa-scientists-forbidden-to-speak-on-climate-research/>
*October 22, 2017     NYTimes:
WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency has canceled the
speaking appearance of three agency scientists who were scheduled to
discuss climate change at a conference on Monday in Rhode Island
<http://nbep.org/the-state-of-our-watershed/bay-watershed-workshop/>,
according to the agency and several people involved.
John Konkus, an E.P.A. spokesman and a former Trump campaign operative
in Florida, confirmed that agency scientists would not speak at the
State of the Narragansett Bay and Watershed program in Providence. He
provided no further explanation.
Scientists involved in the program said that much of the discussion at
the event centers on climate change. Many said they were surprised by
the E.P.A.'s last-minute cancellation, particularly since the agency
helps to fund the Narragansett Bay Estuary Program <http://nbep.org/>,
which is hosting the conference. The scientists who have been barred
from speaking contributed substantial material to a 400-page report to
be issued on Monday.
The move highlights widespread concern that the E.P.A. will silence
government scientists from speaking publicly or conducting work on
climate change. Scott Pruitt, the agency administrator, has said that he
does not believe human-caused greenhouse gas emissions are primarily
responsible for the warming of the planet.
"It's definitely a blatant example of the scientific censorship we all
suspected was going to start being enforced at E.P.A.," said John King
<http://web.uri.edu/gso/john-king/>, a professor of oceanography at the
University of Rhode Island who chairs the science advisory committee of
the Narragansett Bay Estuary Program. "They don't believe in climate
change, so I think what they're trying to do is stifle discussions of
the impacts of climate change."
Rose Martin, <http://web.uri.edu/rinsfepscor/2015/10/13/rose-martin-2/>
a postdoctoral fellow at the same E.P.A. laboratory and Emily
Shumchenia, <http://ci.uri.edu/meet/emily-shumchenia/> an E.P.A.
consultant, were scheduled to speak on an afternoon panel entitled "The
Present and Future Biological Implications of Climate Change."
"The report is about trends. It's kind of hard not to talk about climate
change when you're talking about the future of the Narragansett Bay,"
Mr. King said.
https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/22/gagged-epa-scientists-forbidden-to-speak-on-climate-research/*
***Narragansett Bay Estuary Program * <http://nbep.org/about/>*
http://nbep.org
Welcome to the Narragansett Bay Estuary Program where our mission is to
protect, restore, and preserve Narragansett Bay and its watershed. The
Narragansett Bay watershed is over 1 million acres in area and is home
to over 2 million residents from Rhode Island and Massachusetts. The
Narragansett Bay Estuary Program is made up of numerous partners from
both States who work to conserve and restore natural resources, enhance
water quality, and promote community involvement.*
*The Narragansett Bay Estuary Program is one of 28 programs designated
as estuaries of national significance under the National Estuary
Program. The program helps protect and restore the water quality and
ecological integrity of the Narragansett Bay itself as well as the
million acre Narragansett Bay watershed. In 2015, the Estuary Program
celebrated 30 years of protection and restoration of the Narragansett
Bay watershed.
Serving as a catalyst in the Narragansett Bay watershed, the
Narragansett Bay Estuary Program works to attract and direct federal and
other resources to local needs, build needed scientific and watershed
information, inform the public and policy makers, convene collaborative
work-groups around key issues, and support local and grassroots-level
organizations. Using its skills in science, policy, and management, the
Estuary Program seeks to address and advance key issues in the
Narragansett Bay watershed.
http://nbep.org/about/
see also:
http://nbep.org/the-state-of-our-watershed/bay-watershed-workshop/*
Panel Discussions
Panel 1 – Reduction of Nitrogen and Phosphorus Loadings and the Future
Implications of Rising Temperatures and More Intense Precipitation
Panel 2 – The Present and Future Biological Implications of Climate Change
*more: *
Rhode Island NSF EPSCOR
The Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research
<http://web.uri.edu/rinsfepscor/2015/10/13/rose-martin-2/>
*"let it grow "
URI graduate researcher discovers benefits of invasive marsh grass
Having powered through her doctoral work in three years, newly minted
University of Rhode Island Ph.D. Rose Martin credits her Rhode Island
EPSCoR graduate fellowship as the most productive year of her research.
/Phragmites australis,/ an invasive grass that often inundates salt
marshes, is the target of costly and difficult eradication efforts.
However, the research work of a Rhode Island EPSCoR graduate fellow
finds that we may be better off leaving the grass alone.
"I think it's fair to say that the take home message is that the
presence of the plant may contribute to the marsh's function of
greenhouse gas uptake," said Rose Martin, a University of Rhode Island
doctoral student who recently gave her dissertation on the /Phragmites/
role in carbon dioxide and methane emission and uptake in coastal marshes.
/Phragmites/ is known to drive changes in carbon cycling of salt
marshes, moving gases from the atmosphere through its above ground plant
structure and root system below the soil. The grass also has the ability
to change the soil it invades.
*Grasses and greenhouse gases*
"One of the services coastal marshes provide is that they store or
sequester abundant carbon dioxide," explained Martin. "If carbon dioxide
is stored in the soil of the marsh, it's not entering the atmosphere in
forms of greenhouse gases that cause climate change."
Salt marshes, in particular, are extremely efficient in carbon dioxide
uptake, according to Martin. When marsh plants die, they decompose
slowly and the material becomes part of the soil that builds up,
trapping the carbon.
In the final experiment of her research, Martin simulated climate change
under projections for the year 2100, with elevated temperatures and the
levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. She measured the greenhouse
gas fluxes that would result from both /Phragmites/ and native
vegetation, and found that with the amount of carbon dioxide Phragmites
could take up, there was a good chance the grass could balance out the
increased amount of methane emitted.
"It's interesting to think about the idea, that the effect could be a
mixed bag," said Martin. "The results of my dissertation show that
although /Phragmites/ is associated with negative consequences, there is
potential for its presence in marshes to maintain or even enhance the
service of GHG (greenhouse gas) uptake."
http://web.uri.edu/rinsfepscor/2015/10/13/rose-martin-2/

*
**(dramatic video) Erosion causing island in Canada's north to disappear
<https://youtu.be/iXkrS1u5fl8>*
The erosion taking place on Pelly Island in Canada's north may be the
most dramatic in the country, but it is happening all along coastlines
and is having a severe impact on some communities.
https://youtu.be/iXkrS1u5fl8 7:21
*The National* is the flagship news and current affairs program of the
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Canada's public broadcaster.
*

Trump Voters, Hit by Storms, Conflicted on Climate
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/22/trump-voters-hit-by-storms-conflicted-on-climate/>
*The White House said Monday that President Donald Trump has not altered
his views on climate change, despite scientists' warnings that
Hurricanes Irma and Harvey, which recently ravaged portions of the
United States, are evidence the warming global climate is making extreme
weather worse.
"I don't think think that's changed," White House Press Secretary Sarah
Huckabee Sanders told reporters Monday at the daily presidential
briefing....
As the downpour from Hurricane Harvey stretched into its second day,
with no end in sight, Joe Evans watched from the window of his home in
the Jefferson County seat of Beaumont, and an unexpected sense of guilt
overcame him: "What have we been doing to the planet for all of these
years?"...
Evans isn't sure if the disastrous run of weather will cause climate
change to become a bigger priority for residents here, or if as memories
fade talk of this issue will, too.
"I haven't put so much thought into it that I want to go mobilize a
bunch of people and march on Washington," he said. "But it made me think
enough about it that I won't actively take part in denying it. We can't
do that anymore."*
*"I think Mother Nature can come back, but there's a point to where, if
we just keep on and keep on, I don't know if she can come back."*
*https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/22/trump-voters-hit-by-storms-conflicted-on-climate/*

**
Coping with tragedy
<http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/22/coping-with-tragedy/>
**The Daily Californian*: Are there specific psychological or cognitive
processes that occur when a person encounters a tragedy?
*Aaron Fisher*: There is a theory in psychology … of the allostatic load
… The idea is that psychologically, physiologically, biologically, you
can only handle so many demands above the normal demands of just being
alive — that's demanding in and of itself.
(This) has a lot of layers because it starts with whether people
register this as stressful. … Is someone even attending to what's going
on? To the degree that they're attending to what's going on, does it
register as stressful? … (Then) it's dependent on your prior experience:
how close this feels to you, how threatening it feels to you, the degree
to which its affecting your daily life. … (It's) the accumulation of
them together, especially when … there's the daily stress of the
president of the United States and his level of dishonesty and his level
of malice that he brings to his job.
So, that's kind of a background noise, and then you build on top of that
another mass shooting (and) a political body that doesn't seem motivated
to address an ongoing threatening situation (like in Puerto Rico).
(Essentially) you have multiple natural disasters that are affecting us
nationally, and then again there's those political layers of inaction.
If you pay attention to that, it's upsetting. We go from the world
figuratively feeling as if it's on fire, and then suddenly the world is
literally on fire.
*DC*: What are the expected responses to this inundation?
*AF*: You're going to be distracted, even if just at an attentional
level. (It's) what we call "functional impairment," which is just a
fancy way of saying not getting your stuff done … not being able to
study well just out of pure distraction. There will be sleep
disturbance, fatigue, exhaustion. For someone who genuinely is facing a
kind of stress overload … they could have heart palpitations, they could
have nausea, sweating or dizziness. I mean, these things all come from a
hyper-arousal of the physiological stress response …  That would sound
like some serious stuff, but if you're really accumulating a lot of
stress and if you're not getting enough sleep, that's exactly the kind
of stuff you might expect to happen...
*DC*: How would you recommend that students take care of themselves
psychologically in light of recent events?
*AF*: The one thing that I would encourage people to do is engage in
self-care. Take time … to do things that give you pleasure, spend time
with people that give you joy and comfort. I think that's the most
important thing. Don't be so consumed with the problems of the world
that it is the only thing you pay attention to.
Of course, it is something we should pay attention to. We should
advocate that Black Lives Matter, we should advocate that Puerto Rican
Americans are Americans, we should fight the fires in the North Bay, we
should give food and time — we should do so many things. … But we should
also give each other hugs, and we should watch romantic comedies, and we
should eat gelato.
http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/22/coping-with-tragedy/*

TEDxYYC - Dr. Megan McElheran - Trauma Change Resilience
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8nMgY5dkTs>
*Dr. Megan McElheran discusses "Trauma Change Resilience" at the 2011
TEDxYYC.
As Canada begins to assimilate its soldiers from Afghanistan, Dr. Megan
McElheran's undertaking is an important mission. The Stanford-educated
doctor of psychology is one of a team of 13 at the federally-funded
CareWest Operational Stress Injury (OSI) Clinic tasked with diagnosing
and treating psychologically-injured soldiers returning from the fields
of battle in Afghanistan, as well as previous conflicts and peacekeeping
missions.
Megan's work also includes addressing the burgeoning awareness of the
impact of operational stress-related injuries on current serving and
veteran members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8nMgY5dkTs*
*-
**Master of mindfulness, Jon Kabat-Zinn: 'People are losing their minds.
That is what we need to wake up to'
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/22/mindfulness-jon-kabat-zinn-depression-trump-grenfell>*
*https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/22/mindfulness-jon-kabat-zinn-depression-trump-grenfell*
*

*'Geostorm' is a very silly movie that raises some very serious
questions. <http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/289379/142179/217944/0/>*
The technology in the movie "Geostorm" is laughably fantastical. But the
idea of technologies that might be used to "geoengineer" the climate is not.
Geoengineering, also called climate engineering, is a set of emerging
technologies that could potentially offset some of the consequences of
climate change. Some scientists are taking it seriously, considering
geoengineering among the range of approaches for managing the risks of
climate change—although always as a complement to, and not a substitute
for, reducing emissions and adapting to the effects of climate change.
These innovations are often lumped into two categories. Carbon dioxide
removal (or negative emissions) technologies set out to actively remove
greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. In contrast, solar radiation
management (or solar geoengineering) aims to reduce how much sunlight
reaches the Earth.
For example, early studies using computer models indicated that
injecting particles into the stratosphere to cool parts of Earth might
disrupt the Asian and African summer monsoons, threatening the food
supply for billions of people. Even if deployment wouldn't necessarily
result in regional inequalities, the prospect of solar geoengineering
raises questions about who has the power to shape our climate futures,
and who and what gets left out.
Other concerns focus on possible unintended consequences of large-scale
open-air experimentation—especially when our whole planet becomes the
lab. There's a fear that the consequences would be irreversible, and
that the line between research and deployment is inherently fuzzy.
http://newsletters.dailyclimate.org/t/289379/142179/217944/0/

*This Day in Climate History October 23, 2007
<http://www.c-span.org/video/?201698-1/HumanImp> -  from D.R. Tucker*
October 23, 2007: Dr. Julie Gerberding of the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention addresses a US Senate committee regarding the
health risks of climate change. Her testimony was extensively edited by
the Bush White House to dramatically downplay the severity of the risks.
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2007/10/23/17139/gerberding-global-warming/
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2007/10/24/the-censored-testimony-of-cdc-director-julie-gerberding/
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/science/earth/24cnd-climate.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2008/07/08/174078/burnett-cheney-boiling/
http://www.c-span.org/video/?201698-1/HumanImp

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///

Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that