[TheClimate.Vote] October 31, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Oct 31 09:24:03 EDT 2017

/October 31, 2017/

*Strong rainstorm rips Northeast, leaves 1.5M without power
<http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/strong-rainstorm-rips-northeast-leaves-15m-power-50817572>*
A severe storm packing hurricane-force wind gusts and soaking rain swept
through the Northeast early Monday, knocking out power for nearly 1.5
million homes and businesses and forcing hundreds of schools to close in
New England.
Falling trees knocked down power lines across the region, and some
utility companies warned customers that power could be out for a few
days. Trees also fell onto some homes and vehicles, but no serious
injuries were reported.
New England got the brunt of the storm, which brought sustained winds of
up to 50 mph in some spots. A gust of 130 mph was reported at the Mount
Washington Observatory in New Hampshire, while winds hit 82 mph in
Mashpee on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/strong-rainstorm-rips-northeast-leaves-15m-power-50817572

*Terrifying parallels between twin threats of climate change and nuclear
ruin
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/terrifying-parallels-between-twin-threats-of-climate-change-and-nuclear-ruin/2017/10/27/bc6058d2-af74-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html>*
American psychologist and author Robert Jay Lifton, best known for his
pioneering investigations of the causes and psychological impacts of
warfare, political violence, and coercive thought reform or
brainwashing, has recently focused his attention on a newer existential
threat to humanity: climate change. His slim volume, "The Climate
Swerve: Reflections on Mind, Hope, and Survival," is a personal
meditation on public perceptions of climate change and nuclear Armageddon.
Written shortly after his 90th birthday, the book expands upon an essay
he published under the same title in 2014, and it reads more like a
memoir than a scientific text. Its main premise is that most of
humankind is now coming to accept the reality and dangers of climate
change, despite delaying tactics by the fossil fuel industry and its
supporters. Borrowing a term from Stephen Greenblatt's Pulitzer
Prize-winning exploration of atomic awareness and cultural awakening,
"The Swerve," Lifton applies it to an "evolving awareness of our
predicament," in which modern civilization threatens the future of our
species. Despite the menace posed by the "apocalyptic twins" of climate
and nukes, however, he also believes that the current swerve in our
climate awareness can lead to constructive action, as a similar swerve
did for nuclear arms control.
Once we accept the harsh facts of climate change (or nuclear apocalypse)
and acknowledge the fear that comes with them, Lifton reminds us to take
a step further. We must unleash that primal fear, he argues, so we can
then use our intellect to channel it into a more mature "anxiety of
responsibility" that leads to concerted action. He mentions the Paris
Climate Conference of 2015 and the climate action group 350.org as
manifestations of such actions, but more examples abound. The insurance
industry is now planning for a warmer, stormier future, the U.S.
military considers climate change to be a national security threat, and
even ExxonMobil expects the retreat of polar ice to facilitate its
exploitation of fossil fuels in the Arctic. Equally important is an
energetic new cohort of young people who consider climate change to be
the great challenge of their generation...
*"Imagining massive destruction and death," he writes, is "a
prerequisite for wisdom" and for maturing as a "talented species in deep
trouble." *In taking appropriate, well-informed action now, we can
experience "symbolic immortality" not only through our immediate
descendants but also by "living on in humankind." "Whatever our age," he
continues, "we are . . . part of a flow of endless generations that
include forebears as well as children and grandchildren."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/terrifying-parallels-between-twin-threats-of-climate-change-and-nuclear-ruin/2017/10/27/bc6058d2-af74-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html

*Sometimes All It Takes Is One Horrible Photo to Summarize a
Catastrophe. This is Puerto Rico's
<http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/10/sometimes-all-it-takes-is-one-horrible-photo-to-summarize-a-catastrophe-this-is-puerto-ricos/>*
Surgery by flashlight is just the beginning of the public health crisis
there.
First, there's the issue of clean water. Many wastewater disposal and
clean water delivery systems are dependent on electricity. Without
energy to power the systems, pumps don't work, allowing sewage to build
up on site instead of draining away to treatment plants. On the other
end, drinking water cannot be delivered to residents without electricity
either because those pumps and filters are also offline. Obviously, a
lack of access to freshwater is a big problem - people are at risk of
dehydration or, if they turn to lower-quality water sources, infection.
In countries without modern plumbing and wastewater management,
water-borne diseases such as leptospirosis thrive. But when a strong
enough hurricane hits, even wealthy nations are at risk, as evidenced by
the rivers of toxic waters stirred by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and
Hurricane Irma in Florida.
Electricity is also crucial for communication. And clear communication
is essential for relief and recovery efforts. Last month, I wrote for
Slate that Puerto Rico was receiving short-term aid in the form of oil,
water, and food delivery and that representatives of the territory were
satisfied with initial relief efforts. But the past few weeks have shown
that the recovery was too small in scale.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/10/sometimes-all-it-takes-is-one-horrible-photo-to-summarize-a-catastrophe-this-is-puerto-ricos/
-
*Tesla's solar vision gets its first big test in Puerto Rico
<https://grist.org/article/tesla-and-solar-groups-put-puerto-rico-back-on-the-grid/>*
Tesla announced today /(Oct 24) /that it has started constructing its
first microgrid installation, laying out a solar field and setting up
its refrigerator-sized Powerpack batteries to supply electricity to a
children's hospital in the Puerto Rican capital.
More than a month after Hurricane Maria destroyed swaths of the island's
electrical grid, 85 percent of Puerto Rico is still without power. Total
grid repair costs are estimated at $5 billion  -  an especially steep
price for a public utility already $9 billion in debt. The lack of power
is especially dire for hospitals, where unreliable electricity may spoil
medicines that require refrigeration and complicate crucial medical
procedures. The results could be deadlier than the storm itself, but
solar power could help head off further disaster.
https://grist.org/article/tesla-and-solar-groups-put-puerto-rico-back-on-the-grid/
-*
**FEMA Had a Plan for Responding to a Hurricane in Puerto Rico  -  But
It Doesn't Want You to See It
<https://www.propublica.org/article/fema-had-a-plan-for-responding-to-a-hurricane-in-puerto-rico>*The
Federal Emergency Management Agency, citing unspecified "potentially
sensitive information," is declining to release a document it drafted
several years ago that details how it would respond to a major hurricane
in Puerto Rico.
The plan, known as a hurricane annex, runs more than 100 pages and
explains exactly what FEMA and other agencies would do in the event that
a large storm struck the island. The document could help experts assess
both how well the federal government had prepared for a storm the size
of Hurricane Maria and whether FEMA's response matches what was planned.
The agency began drafting such advance plans after it was excoriated for
poor performance and lack of preparation in the wake of Hurricane
Katrina in 2005.
ProPublica requested a copy of the Puerto Rico hurricane annex as part
of its reporting on the federal response to Maria, the scale and speed
of which has been the subject ofscrutiny
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-responded-to-haiti-quake-more-forcefully-than-to-puerto-rico-disaster/2017/09/28/74fe9c02-a465-11e7-8cfe-d5b912fabc99_story.html?utm_term=.c19f2e1ca61d>andcriticism
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/29/san-juan-mayor-slams-trump-administration-comments-on-puerto-rico-hurricane-response/?utm_term=.4543dd5a1942>.
More than a month after the storm made landfall,73 percent
<http://status.pr/>of the island still lacks electricity.
Early last week, a FEMA spokesman said he would provide a copy of the
plan that afternoon. It never came. After a week of follow-ups, FEMA
sent a statement reversing its position. "Due to the potentially
sensitive information contained within the Hurricane Annex of the Region
II All Hazards Plan, there are legal questions surrounding what, if any,
portions of the annex can be released," the statement said. "As such,
the documents that you seek must be reviewed and analyzed under the
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by FEMA." The statement did not
explain what legal questions apply.
As ProPublica has previously reported, FEMA's Freedom of Information
process isplagued by dysfunction and yearslong backlogs
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-federal-government-no-longer-cares-about-disclosing-public-information/2016/03/10/7e0bf1bc-e631-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?utm_term=.5be0c599ba8c>.
For example, FEMA hasn't responded to a request for documents related to
Superstorm Sandy that we filed more than three and a half years ago.
After FEMA declined to release the Puerto Rico hurricane plan, we found
the agency'sequivalent plan for Hawaii
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4117144-2015Hawaii-Cat-Plan.html>posted,
unredacted, on the internet by the Department of Defense. The Hawaii
plan includesgranular details
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4117144-2015Hawaii-Cat-Plan.html#document/p82>down
to, for example, how many specially outfitted medical aircraft the
federal government would send to Hawaii after a Category 4 hurricane. It
also describesan 85-step process
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4117144-2015Hawaii-Cat-Plan.html#document/p109>to
restore electricity on the islands.
Asked why the Puerto Rico plan was too sensitive to release publicly
while the Hawaii plan was not, a FEMA spokesman said: "We aren't able to
speak for DoD or the State of Hawaii."
Do you have information about FEMA or other agencies' responses to
Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico? Contact Justin atjustin at propublica.org
<mailto:justin at propublica.org>or via Signal at 774-826-6240.
https://www.propublica.org/article/fema-had-a-plan-for-responding-to-a-hurricane-in-puerto-rico

*(opinion) Howard Stein: The social psychology of climate change denial
<http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/opinionfeatured/howard-stein-the-social-psychology-of-climate-change-denial/article_ec458e39-ffde-5fef-a339-58b4582f9b40.html>*
For peoples around the world, culture largely serves as a huge glass or
plastic bubble in which people dwell. For its inhabitants, it
constitutes the world. To question the bubble is heresy. For many
Americans, denial of climate change is that delusional protective bubble
in which they find comfort and safety -- even as they endanger all life
on earth. We might ask ourselves: What would the climate change deniers
stand to lose if they gave up their convictions? We must take denial
with utter seriousness, and not dismiss it as simply wrong-headed
thinking, roll our eyes, and walk away. We must, I believe, listen for
the fear that lies behind the protective shield of ideology.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/opinionfeatured/howard-stein-the-social-psychology-of-climate-change-denial/article_ec458e39-ffde-5fef-a339-58b4582f9b40.html

*Greenhouse gas concentrations surge to new record
<http://climateandcapitalism.com/2017/10/30/greenhouse-gas-concentrations-surge-to-new-record/>*
'The last time the Earth experienced a comparable concentration of CO2
was 3-5 million years ago, the temperature was 2-3°C warmer and sea
level was 10-20 meters higher than now.'
Methane (CH4) is the second most important long-lived greenhouse gas and
contributes about 17% of radiative forcing. Approximately 40% of methane
is emitted into the atmosphere by natural sources (e.g., wetlands and
termites), and about 60% comes from human activities like cattle
breeding, rice agriculture, fossil fuel exploitation, landfills and
biomass burning.
Atmospheric methane reached a new high of about 1 853 parts per billion
(ppb) in 2016 and is now 257% of the pre-industrial level.
http://climateandcapitalism.com/2017/10/30/greenhouse-gas-concentrations-surge-to-new-record/

*Psychology may be key to changing attitudes toward environmental issues
<http://daily-iowan.com/2017/10/20/psychology-may-be-key-to-changing-attitudes-toward-environmental-issues/>*
A lecture hosted by the UI Environmental Coalition explored how
psychology can help change attitudes about environmental issues.
"I want people to know how to engage with others about climate change
and threats to the environment in ways that are more productive,"
Koutsonikolis said. "It's about learning how to have that discussion
with each other so we can actually move forward on these issues."
http://daily-iowan.com/2017/10/20/psychology-may-be-key-to-changing-attitudes-toward-environmental-issues/

*Trump's Gang of Climate Deniers Has Grown Into an Army
<https://newrepublic.com/article/145547/trumps-gang-climate-deniers-grown-army>*
He keeps picking deniers for top government positions: NASA might soon
be run by a GOP congressman who blames global warming on the sun.
BY EMILY ATKIN
It became clear early in Donald Trump's presidency that many of his top
officials shared a common trait: They were climate deniers. Though
"climate denial starts at the top," the New York Times' Coral Davenport
wrote in March, it was trickling down into a variety of high-influence
position: Vice President Mike Pence, who once called global warming a
"myth" disproved by the fact that his home state once had a cold winter;
then-senior advisor Steve Bannon, whose news site Breitbart remains one
of the top destinations for climate misinformation; Environmental
Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt, who believes carbon
dioxide is not a "primary contributor" to global warming; and Department
of Energy Secretary Rick Perry, who believes the same myth, saying in
June, "No, most likely the primary control knob is the ocean waters and
this environment that we live in."
https://newrepublic.com/article/145547/trumps-gang-climate-deniers-grown-army

*Climate change puts Cambodians at risk of mental health disorders
<http://www.eco-business.com/news/climate-change-puts-cambodians-at-risk-of-mental-health-disorders/>*
Still traumatised from the turmoil of the reigns of Lon Nol and Pol Pot,
Cambodians are gradually healing from a troubled recent past. But
climate change threatens a mental health relapse.
Cambodia has been ranked among the most vulnerable countries in the
region to climate change. In recent years, the Kingdom has been hit by
prolonged droughts, floods and heat waves.
With more than half of Cambodians working as farmers in poor, rural
settings, the threat to their livelihoods from hotter and more extreme
weather is very high.
According to a recent research commissioned by the American
Psychological Association this year, long-term climate change can
indirectly cause mental health problems as the changes in weather
patterns, storm and rising sea levels put people in danger of
experiencing chronic psychological consequences such as trauma and
shock, chronic depression, stress disorder and anxiety.
"High levels of stress and anxiety are also linked to physical health
effects, such as a weakened immune system," the report explains.
"Worrying about actual or potential impacts of climate change can lead
to stress that can build over time and eventually lead to stress-related
problems, such as substance abuse, anxiety disorders and depression."
Poor people, children, pregnant women and the elderly are at the
greatest risk of mental health problems from exposure to climate-related
disasters.
"Climate change affects health in three ways: The first is direct, the
second is indirect through the environment and ecosystem changes, and
the third is the indirect impacts mediated through societal systems such
as malnutrition and mental illness," WHO Cambodia wrote in an email.
"Those who live in remote rural areas, who depend on rainfall for
farming, find themselves experiencing more chronic concerns as they
can't grow their crops to feed their families," says Sunbaunat. "When
there are storms, poor people in the rural areas will be the most affected."
"The most important thing we can do is help people be mentally prepared
for the impacts of climate change," Sovandara said.
http://www.eco-business.com/news/climate-change-puts-cambodians-at-risk-of-mental-health-disorders/

postcarboninstitute
*Think Resilience Lesson 17 Preview - Economic Relocalization
<https://youtu.be/z_KNkoPpgt8>*
In Economic Relocalization, Lesson 17 of the Think Resilience course,
Richard Heinberg examines why, even though the playing field is often
tilted in favor of big business, local and small businesses are still
the backbone of the American economy, and provide it with considerable
resilience. And he'll explain why supporting small and local businesses
makes sense on many levels, even beyond the resilience imperative.
Watch the first six videos of the Think Resilience course for free:
http://bit.ly/2sGib06
https://youtu.be/z_KNkoPpgt8

*
**"It's All Connected." Jeff Goodell on Sea Level Rise
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/30/its-all-connected-jeff-goodell-on-sea-level-rise/>*
Book Review video  "The Water Will Come" https://youtu.be/-KMXWWxvuvs
Above, Jeff Goodell on PBS talking about his long-time-coming book, The
Water Will Come.
Jeff talks about a visit to Greenland, which is featured early on in the
book. That was part of the first Dark Snow expedition in 2013.
Here, in video from that trip, I talked to Jeff as we had just touched
down at a point near the calving wall of Illulisat (Jacobshaven) Glacier
in Greenland. Jeff mentions the moment in the book, as we were standing
on bare rock that had recently emerged from the melting ice, and quite
possibly no humans had touched before.
Jeff Goodell Near Ilulissat Glacier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbOuCPh_34U
https://climatecrocks.com/2017/10/30/its-all-connected-jeff-goodell-on-sea-level-rise/

*(video humor) Louis CK - Explain The Meaning Of Being White
<https://youtu.be/GPdqlROzgvg?t=7m57s>*
"What did you DO to the Polar Bears?   Who spilled this?"
https://youtu.be/GPdqlROzgvg?t=7m57s

*This Day in Climate History October 31, 1983
<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/doc/294226182.html>  -  from D.R.
Tucker*
October 31, 1983: The Boston Globe reports on the risks of the
greenhouse effect:
"What's happening, scientists warn, is that additional carbon dioxide,
as it collects in the atmosphere, tends to block the outward flow of
heat. This, in effect, resembles wrapping the whole Earth in a
transparent thermal blanket; things have to get warmer.
"The first strong sign of global warming, as suggested by geologist
Dr. Kenneth O. Emery at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution,
might be an acceleration in the rate of sea level rise. Emery has
already seen what he suspects is a significant increase in the past 10
to 15 years, with sea level going up at a rate of one- quarter to
three-eighths of an inch per year. This may be an early sign that the
Greenhouse Effect is with us.
"An even scarier scenario - which scientists don't think is very
plausible - is the 'runaway greenhouse.' Warmer temperatures might
force more water vapor into the air, which would trap even more heat,
warming the air further, raising more water vapor, and on and on. The
result would be a Venus-like environment, where the temperature is so
hot - 900 degrees at the surface - that all gases and liquids have
been evaporated and are afloat in the dense atmosphere."
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/doc/294226182.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///

Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that