[TheClimate.Vote] September 20, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Sep 20 08:24:25 EDT 2017

/September 20, 2017
///*
Hurricane Maria hammers Puerto Rico with force not seen in 'modern
history'
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/20/hurricane-maria-takes-aim-at-puerto-rico-with-force-not-seen-in-modern-history/>*/
/SAN JUAN - Hurricane Maria roared ashore on Puerto Rico on Wednesday as
the strongest storm to strike the island in more than 80 years while
panicked residents fled to high ground and huddled in shelters hoping to
withstand powerhouse winds that have already left death and devastation
across the Caribbean.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/20/hurricane-maria-takes-aim-at-puerto-rico-with-force-not-seen-in-modern-history//
/*Hurricane Maria: category 5 storm batters Caribbean – live
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/19/hurricane-maria-category-5-caribbean-live-updates>*
/(/Caribbean faces fresh devastation as category 5 Hurricane Maria hits
Dominica's prime minister charts 'merciless' Maria on social media
Hurricane Maria's impact will probably lead to a "total collapse of the
energy system in Puerto Rico."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/19/hurricane-maria-category-5-caribbean-live-updates

*Climate Change Is Complex. We've Got Answers to Your Questions.
<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/climate/what-is-climate-change.html>
*By JUSTIN GILLIS
We know. Global warming is daunting. So here's a place to start: 17
often-asked questions with some straightforward answers...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/climate/what-is-climate-change.html

**
Good news! Avoiding catastrophic climate change isn't impossible yet.
Just incredibly hard.
<https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/19/16324926/avoiding-catastrophic-climate-change>
**https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/19/16324926/avoiding-catastrophic-climate-change**
*.
New climate change calculations could buy the Earth some time - if
they're right
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/09/18/new-climate-calculations-could-buy-the-earth-some-time-if-theyre-right/?utm_term=.85e0204acf03>*
"What this paper means is that keeping warming to 1.5 degrees C still
remains a geophysical possibility, contrary to quite widespread belief,"
Millar said in a news briefing. He conducted the research with
scientists from Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland and
Norway...
That's what makes the new result so surprising: It finds that we have
more than 700 billion tons left to emit to keep warming within 1.5
degrees Celsius, with a two-thirds probability of success. "That's about
20 years at present-day emissions," Millar said at the news briefing.
"Nonetheless, even with the new revision, the latest research finds that
keeping warming below 1.5 degrees C will be quite hard. "Even with the
largest estimates of the remaining carbon budget, this path is extremely
challenging, starting reductions immediately and then reducing emissions
to zero over 40 years," Millar said at the press event.
Overall, the dispute raises questions about how widely the carbon-budget
concept has proliferated - and just how much we actually understand it.
"It goes to show, this carbon-budget approach is still much more, let's
say, immature scientifically than what we often assume," Peters said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/09/18/new-climate-calculations-could-buy-the-earth-some-time-if-theyre-right/?utm_term=.85e0204acf03*

Rise in global warming triggered by Pacific "flip" - UK Met Office
<https://uk.reuters.com/article/global-climatechange/rise-in-global-warming-triggered-by-pacific-flip-uk-met-office-idUKL5N1LZ3PS>*https://uk.reuters.com/article/global-climatechange/rise-in-global-warming-triggered-by-pacific-flip-uk-met-office-idUKL5N1LZ3PS
*

**Don't expect the insurance industry to protect you from climate change
<http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-harvey-irma-insurance-industry-climate-change-20170919-story.html>*
$
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-harvey-irma-insurance-industry-climate-change-20170919-story.html

*
Leonardo DiCaprio Speaks at Yale Climate Change Conference
<http://jackson.yale.edu/kerry-initiative/yale-climate-conference/conference-schedule/>
http://jackson.yale.edu/kerry-initiative/yale-climate-conference/conference-schedule/
*The conference moderator will be former U.S. Secretary of State John
Kerry, who graduated from the university in 1966...
Leonardo DiCaprio spoke at a Yale climate change conference hosted by
the Kerry Initiative.
The conference at the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs at Yale
University kicked off on Monday and continued on Tuesday.
The conference moderator is former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry,
who graduated from the university in 1966.
Panelists and speakers include former U.S. Secretary of State James
Baker, California Governor Jerry Brown, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo,
General Electric Chair of the Board Jeffrey Immelt and actor Leonardo
DiCaprio.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Leonardo-DiCaprio-to-Speak-at-Yale-Climate-Change-Conference-445555003.html#ixzz4tAbFxPee

http://jackson.yale.edu/kerry-initiative/yale-climate-conference/conference-schedule/

*(opinion) Mainstream U.S. Climate Strategy Has Failed Miserably: So
What Now?
<http://www.alternet.org/environment/mainstream-us-climate-strategy-has-failed-miserably-so-what-now>*
Environmentalists and climate activists have never tried to agree on a
coherent, common campaign.
By Ken Ward / AlterNet
September 18, 2017, 11:30 PM GMT
...Like any other consumer product, climate change activism has been
marketed under several different brands. If you like your climate action
with a hefty dose of capitalism, buy Environmental Defense Fund. If you
appreciate a veneer of science, there's Natural Resources Defense
Council and Union of Concerned Scientists. If you enjoy a bit more
honesty in the problem statement, but still want that upbeat sunny
feeling, you've got the Sierra Club. If you are comfortable in a crowd,
go with cap and trade. If you like a bit of policy dash, choose the
carbon tax.
U.S. environmentalists and climate activists have never tried to agree
on a coherent, common campaign; we don't even have a coalition. We've
never had a national meeting. Why? Because it is not in our
organization's interests.
Almost everyone I know who is fully engaged in trying to craft a
pragmatic climate strategy that is grounded in both geophysical and
political realities, is prepared for, and driven by the climate change
impacts we see unfolding around us, and aims for the truly
transformational, does so on the cheap, sleeping on other people's
couches, dependent on the kindness of friends for meals and to cover
mobile phone charges. We have no offices, no IT department, no staff, no
salaries and no paid vacations.
Ten years ago, a small group of us formed the Bright Lines network and
crafted such an alternative, which went nowhere. Interviewing me for his
book What We Are Fighting For Now Is Each Other: Dispatches from the
Front Lines of Climate Justice, Wen Stephenson asked me why the Bright
Lines effort was unsupported. I answered that "there was no felt need."
Perhaps there is a felt need now.
Here's a good first step: Stop contributing to the organizations and
underwriting the strategies that got us into this mess in the first
place. Instead, let's turn those resources toward the woefully
under-supported-and hugely cost-effective-efforts at the margins, which
are going head-to-head with the fossil fuel monolith.
Climate activist Ken Ward is a co-founder of ShutItDown.
http://www.alternet.org/environment/mainstream-us-climate-strategy-has-failed-miserably-so-what-now
*(exhortation) Cataclysm Today: There Is No Third Path
<http://www.shutitdown.today/cataclysm_today_there_is_no_third_path>*
I've spent decades horrified by the systemic ecological collapse we are
experiencing. Yesterday was the first time I could palpably feel so many
of my friends experiencing at least some of this horror. It is
indescribably sad, and on some level I feel fortunate to have had so
much time to anguish over, and thus emotionally prepare, for what is
happening all around us.
It is a fatal misconception that we have any time at all to address
climate chaos (or any of the other ecological limits we are violating).
Fires like the ones currently raging through the forests of the West ARE
the feedback loops that put climate change irreversibly on course to get
worse and worse. We are not at the brink of the cliff. We have plummeted
over it. What we can try to do now is ecologically analogous to grasping
a rock outcrop while already falling, like in a movie.
If you haven't before, and you're one of my friends from outside of the
tiny circles where people are trying desperately to stop the world from
ending, perhaps take this moment, when normal life seems to have
decisively halted, to consider whether it isn't time for you to put some
effort into halting global collapse.
If you think there's a big climate movement and it's kicking ass, if you
think renewable energy is on the rise and that should take care of it,
if you think the Paris Agreements mean anything, you're woefully wrong
and everything you love is threatened by this misconception.
We desperately need people, money, energy. We are tired. We are hungry.
We wake up every morning completely overwhelmed by the scope of the
task, the lateness of the hour, and the capacity almost everyone around
us has to pay attention to something other than the apocalypse. Please
come help us.
If this sounds preachy, I'm not sure what tone other than a religious
one is suitable for the end of the world. We are in the final and
decisively losing moments of a war for life on earth. We have the choice
of abandoning our current trajectories to desperately struggle against
the ecological crisis, or abandoning our current trajectories to
struggle against fire, floods and each other. There is no third path.
/Arnold Schroder began working against ecological collapse in the forest
defense movement of the 1990s, halting industrial logging with
administrative appeals and direct action alike. In 2011, after binge
reading scientific papers on the subject, began devoting the majority of
his activist energies to climate change. Since that time, he's
reconciled himself to abandoning his purely scientific ambitions, and
has been on a journey that has taken him to tar sands equipment
blockades on the frozen desert highways of East Oregon, the oil and coal
laden rail lines of Washington, the burning barricades on North Dakota
State Highway 1806, and beyond. At large for over a year, he claims to
be settling in Olympia, WA.
/http://www.shutitdown.today/cataclysm_today_there_is_no_third_path
*A Conversation with Wen Stephenson
<http://www.shutitdown.today/a_conversation_with_wen_stephenson>*
Join the Valve Turners and author Wen Stephenson as they discuss climate
direct action in this time of both monumental hope and profound doom.
We'll also be following up with the valve turners about recent legal
proceedings.
http://www.shutitdown.today/a_conversation_with_wen_stephenson

*(techno-graffiti) Sierra Club lit up the Trump Hotel- and Maura Cowley
would love for you all to share the image
<https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/909982720561999872>*
For those that don't know me- I've recently started leading the Sierra
Club's National Resistance campaign, which is a new campaign with the
goal of resisting the Trump Administration's attacks on science, climate
action, and environmental justice while working to build an even
stronger grassroots movement against Trump.
Last night we lit up Trump Hotel- and would love for you all to share
the image.
Here are some tweets- please retweet:
https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/909982720561999872
https://twitter.com/bellvisuals/status/909947659821223939
https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/909959652758228993
https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/909966330635448320
Maura Cowley

*This Day in Climate History September 20, 2013
<http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/13/epa-to-announce-carbonlimitsonnewpowerplants.html>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
September 20, 2013: The Obama administration proposes new EPA
regulations intended to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from new power
plants in the US.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/13/epa-to-announce-carbonlimitsonnewpowerplants.html

////Send email to subscribe
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to this mailing. /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that