[TheClimate.Vote] September 25, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Sep 25 09:21:42 EDT 2017

/September  25, 2017/*

Portuguese children to crowdfund European climate change case
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/25/portuguese-children-crowdfund-european-climate-change-case-sue-47-countries>*
Group from region hit by deadly forest fires to sue 47 countries
alleging failure to tackle climate change threatens their right to life
Portuguese schoolchildren from the area struck by the country's worst
forest fires are seeking crowdfunding to sue 47 European countries,
alleging that the states’ failure to tackle climate change threatens
their right to life.
The children, from the Leiria region of central Portugal, where fires
this summer killed more than 60 people and left hundreds injured, are
being represented by British barristers who are experts in environmental
and climate change law.
Supported by the NGO Global Legal Action Network (Glan), they are
seeking an initial £35,000 to mount the case in the European court of
human rights.
The crowdfunding bid was published on Monday on the platform
CrowdJustice <https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/climate-change-echr>,
which has raised millions to help bring citizen-led cases to court....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/25/portuguese-children-crowdfund-european-climate-change-case-sue-47-countries

*OPINION: IS CLIMATE CHANGE DRIVING YOU TO DESPAIR? READ THIS.
<https://ensia.com/voices/climate-trauma/>*
To maintain our capacity to address climate change, we need to recognize
and address the trauma it creates.
"People whose work is related to climate change need to recognize that
they are susceptible to a special kind of stress due to the overwhelming
nature of the problem. Such work can lead to psychological trauma,
shattering our deeply held assumptions and beliefs about the way the
world works and our role in it. This in turn can lead to burnout and
disengagement."
https://ensia.com/voices/climate-trauma/

*Finding resilience is a lifelong journey
<https://asunow.asu.edu/20170921-creativity-asu-community-finding-resilience-lifelong-journey>*
"How do individuals grow as a function of various life events or
adversities, such as chronic illness or unemployment or bereavement?
What are the resources and strategies they use?" asked Infurna, who is a
developmental psychologist.
He has found that resilience is social.
"The individual’s ability to have relationships, a good social network
in place, has been the strongest predictor of whether someone is able to
overcome adversity," he said.
https://asunow.asu.edu/20170921-creativity-asu-community-finding-resilience-lifelong-journey

*IS THIS HOW YOU FEEL? <http://www.isthishowyoufeel.com/>*
Climate change is a complex and intimidating threat. You can't see it
when you look out your bedroom window. Its impacts are often not
immediately noticeable, nor are the benefits of acting against it.
Luckily there are a large group of passionate individuals who have
dedicated their lives to studying climate change. These people write
complex research papers, unpacking every aspect of climate change,
analysing it thoroughly and clinically.  They understand the numbers,
the facts and the figures. They know what is causing it, what the
impacts will be and how we can minimise these impacts.
But they're not robots. These scientists are mothers, fathers,
grandparents, daughters. They are real people. And they're concerned.
SEE HOW SCIENTISTS FEEL
<http://www.isthishowyoufeel.com/this-is-how-scientists-feel.html>
How do you feel?
Write your own letter
1. Handwrite your feelings on climate change
2. Take a photo of it on your phone
3. Tweet your photo to @ITHYF_Letters
<https://twitter.com/ithyf_letters?lang=en>
http://www.isthishowyoufeel.com/

*Movie review  Mother!*
*Mother! Mastermind Darren Aronofsky Explains His Disturbing Fever Dream
<https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-explains-mother>*
The filmmaker opens up about Jennifer Lawrence, Kristen Wiig’s cameo,
and why he keeps returning to the darkness.
"The idea for Mother! came one morning when Aronofsky was alone in his
home. He had been contemplating his complete helplessness to combat the
world’s environmental destruction—the global-warming crisis, collapsing
ecosystems, extinction at startling rates. He decided to spin a story
around a single emotion—rage—and spent the next five days writing "about
how it must feel to be Mother Nature," the script pouring out of him
"like a fever dream." The result is a psychological thriller loaded with
religious and environmental symbolism, and a few nods to unexpected
inspiration."
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-explains-mother

*Donald Trump Is A Threat to Survival of Life on Earth: If Nuclear War
Doesn't Get Us, Falling Oxygen Levels Will
<http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-threatens-survival-life-earth-climate-change-670144>*
http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-threatens-survival-life-earth-climate-change-670144

*This Girl's Letter To Trump Telling Him Climate Change Is Real Is So
Poignant
<https://www.romper.com/p/this-girls-letter-to-trump-telling-him-climate-change-is-real-is-so-poignant-2438139>*
"My name is Paula, I am 11 years old, and I live in Austria... I am
writing this letter to you because I have something important to say. I
would be glad if you could take a moment of time. Mr. President, climate
change is real. People can see it all over the world. When our climate
changes, we are all affected. You and me. People in the United States,
in Austria, in China, Norway, in big cities and on small islands. You
and other world leaders — please work together to find solutions to
climate change. Now is the time to save our future. We only have one
planet earth. Thank you for reading my letter, Mr. President."
https://www.romper.com/p/this-girls-letter-to-trump-telling-him-climate-change-is-real-is-so-poignant-2438139

*This Day in Climate History September 25, 2005
<http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20051003,00.html>-  from
D.R. Tucker**
*September 25, 2005: TIME Magazine releases the October 3, 2005
cover-dated issue, with the cover story: "Are We Making Hurricanes
Worse?"
http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20051003,00.html
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1109318,00.html

////Send email to subscribe
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to this mailing. /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that