[TheClimate.Vote] September 29, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Sep 29 09:18:31 EDT 2017

/September 29, 2017/

*Late-September heat wave leaves climate experts stunned
<https://thinkprogress.org/september-heat-wave-noaa-ca21143e97e1/>*
"Never been a heat wave of this duration and magnitude this late in the
season," reports NOAA
SEP 27, 2017
Century-old records across the Midwest and East Coast are being
shattered by a monster late-September heat wave - the kind of extreme
weather we can expect to get much worse thanks to President Donald
Trump's policies to undermine domestic and global climate action.
"There has never been a heat wave of this duration and magnitude this
late in the season in Chicago," the National Weather Service reported
Tuesday evening.
 From Wednesday through Tuesday, for example, Chicago sweltered through
"the only occurrence on record of 7+ consecutive 90 degrees F days
entirely within September." Every day of the heatwave was 92 degrees F
or above, and every one set a new record high for that date.
"It's perhaps obvious that global warming means more frequent and
intense heat waves," climatologist Michael Mann noted in an email to
ThinkProgress. "But what is less obvious is how climate change may be
impacting the behavior of the jet stream in way that causes more
persistent weather extremes, giving us even more extreme and
longer-duration heat waves than we would otherwise expect."
The National Weather Servicetweeted out
<https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/status/912878739402510336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FUS%2Fhistoric-heat-wave-brings-record-high-temperatures-midwest%2Fstory%3Fid%3D50119794>a
chart showing this very effect.
https://thinkprogress.org/september-heat-wave-noaa-ca21143e97e1/

*
**The True Cost of Food
<https://slowmoney.org/blog/a-conversation-with-daphne-miller/>*
Daphne Miller: These days I'm focused on the true cost of food. We have
the cheapest food in the world. Food purchases make up something like 8%
of our GDP. But when you start to factor in all the chronic diseases and
environmental impacts-the health footprint of food-then all of a sudden
we have the most expensive food in the world. Not 8% but 25% or higher.
How is it we have something that is so cheap but so expensive?..
People are getting so sick because they aren't connected to a healthy
food system. Medicine is putting out fires, it gets to people way too
late. We need to work upstream, outside the medical model.
https://slowmoney.org/blog/a-conversation-with-daphne-miller/

*(Opinion) Does officials' global warming denial harm storm prep?
<http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170926/lane-does-officials-global-warming-denial-harm-storm-prep>*
By Mark Lane
Can Florida be resilient when "sea-level rise" and "global warming" are
phrases that shouldn't be spoken?
The first step in dealing with sea-level rise is for state and local
governments to acknowledge it exists.
The second step is for elected officials to acknowledge it exists.
The problem is sea-level rise can most easily be explained as an effect
of global warming. And it is an article of faith among conservative
politicians that global warming is a hoax manufactured by environmental
extremists or the Chinese or People Who Hate America.
In 2015, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection started
censoring the terms "climate change" and "global warming" from official
communications and reports, according to a Florida Center for
Investigative Reporting news story. The governor's office has denied
that it has such gag rule. But clearly, he'd rather people stop using
the phrase in his presence, especially at press conferences.
"I'm not going down that path," House Speaker Richard Corcoran said when
asked about global warming at the start of hurricane season. And he
hasn't since then.
If so much of officialdom is denying the cause, can they deal with the
effect? Possibly.
Instead of fighting global warming and sea-level rise denialists, many
Florida cities are studying "resiliency." Miami has an "Office of
Resilience." It's politically awkward to talk about sea-level rise but
resilience? Who can be against that?
And what does resiliency entail? Not allowing building in flood-prone
areas. Better stormwater systems with upgraded pumps. Moving and
elevating roads, upgrading infrastructure, hardening power systems,
keeping hurricane-strength building codes and doing something about
sewer systems that dump into waterways during storms.
Coastal Florida always has been a bet against nature. Now that more
Floridians are coast dwellers, it's a higher stakes bet than it used to be.
And it appears the odds in that bet have shifted. Which makes it only
prudent to hedge that bet more than in the past. Even if state and local
planners know better than to say the words "global warming" until
there's some political climate change. That shows resiliency, too.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170926/lane-does-officials-global-warming-denial-harm-storm-prep

*Right-wing media could not be more wrong about the 1.5 degrees C carbon
budget paper
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/sep/27/right-wing-media-could-not-be-more-wrong-about-the-15c-carbon-budget-paper>*
As usual, conservative media outlets distorted a climate science paper
to advance the denialist agenda
Last week, Nature Geoscience published a study suggesting that we have a
bigger remaining carbon budget than previously thought to keep global
warming below the 1.5 degrees C aggressive Paris climate target. Many
scientists quickly commented that the paper's conclusion was based on
some questionable assumptions, and this single study shouldn't be
blindly accepted as gospel truth.
Conservative media outlets did even worse than that. They took one part
of the paper's analysis out of context and grossly distorted its
conclusions to advance their anti-climate agenda.
1.5 degrees C might indeed be a geophysical impossibility
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/sep/27/right-wing-media-could-not-be-more-wrong-about-the-15c-carbon-budget-paper

*Study Says Climate Change Could Lead to Rougher Roads
<http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/09/28/465946.htm>*
Insurance Journal
...Transportation infrastructure is built to last decades, but
engineering protocols in the United States assume climate stationarity,
which may result in accelerated degradation and, consequently, increased
costs," a study out from academics at ASU states.
According to the study, if the standard practice for material selection
is not changed to adapt to rising average temperatures, it could add up
to $21.8 billion to pavement costs by 2070 under the same moderate
global warming scenarios that predict average global temperature
increases of 1.8 C.
The standard practice for selecting materials to build roads is based on
average temperatures from 1966 to 1995, which differs from averaged
based on data studied from 1985 to 2014, according to Shane Underwood,
an assistant professor of civil engineering at ASU and one of the
authors of the study....
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/09/28/465946.htm

*Exxon Aims to Cut Methane Leaks, a Culprit in Global Warming
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/business/energy-environment/exxon-methane-leaks.html>*
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/business/energy-environment/exxon-methane-leaks.html

*The Window Is Closing to Avoid Dangerous Global Warming
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-window-is-closing-to-avoid-dangerous-global-warming/>*
There's a 50 percent chance that temperatures will rise 4 degrees
Celsius under a business-as-usual scenario
Deadly climate change could threaten most of the world's human
population by the end of this century without efforts well beyond those
captured in the Paris Agreement.
"These studies are a wake-up call ahead of U.N. Climate Week - we must
not only zero out CO2 emissions by 2050, but also rapidly limit
superpollutants like HFCs and methane, and even undertake atmospheric
carbon removal," said Bledsoe, a former Clinton White House climate adviser.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-window-is-closing-to-avoid-dangerous-global-warming/

*THE CLIMATE SWERVE: REFLECTIONS ON MIND, HOPE AND SURVIVAL WITH ROBERT
JAY LIFTON AND BILL MOYERS...
<http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/the_climate_swerve_reflections_on_mind_hope_and_survival_with_robert_jay_lifton_and_bill_moyers>*
The renowned psychiatrist and historian makes a case for hope for
humanity's grasp of the dangers of climate change...
Robert Jay Lifton was born 91 years ago. Living through the catastrophes
of the 20th century - world war, tyrannical regimes, genocide, the
nuclear bomb, terrorism - he grappled with their terrible impact on
human beings. His work as a psychiatrist, historian and public
intellectual forged his reputation as one of the world's foremost
thinkers. Among his 20 books are such seminal award winners as Death in
Life: Survivors of Hiroshima (1967); The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing
and the Psychology of Genocide (1986); and Witness to an Extreme
Century: A Memoir (2014).
Now he has turned to climate change, which, he says, "presents us with
what may be the most demanding and unique psychological task ever
required of humankind." In The New York Times three years ago, he wrote
that "Americans appear to be undergoing a significant psychological
shift in our relation to global warming." Borrowing a term from Harvard
humanities professor Stephen Greenblatt to describe a major historical
change in consciousness, he called this shift a climate "swerve." Lifton
plunged into studying the phenomenon further and has just published a
new book, The Climate Swerve: Reflections of Mind, Hope, and Survival.
Here is my interview with him....(/snippets)/**
***Moyers: To the two forces we've already
discussed,/experience/and/economics/, you add third one that's
converging to create the climate swerve:*
** *You write: "The swerve toward awareness of global warming was
leading people to feel it was deeply wrong, perhaps evil, to destroy our
habitat and create a legacy of suffering for future generations. Their
consciences were being stirred. They were being energized." This was
three years ago. Do you still think that force is as powerful today as
it was then?*
*Lifton:*I think it still is, even though now with President Trump and
his administration you have ethnonationalism, which combats exactly what
we're talking about. What we're describing is a recognition that there's
something wrong with endangering ourselves as a species and perhaps even
eliminating ourselves and our civilization. There's something wrong with
what we are bequeathing to the next generation.
*Lifton:*There's more and more recognition that a carbon economy is
dangerous to us economically. And there is increasing recognition that
renewable fuels have economic value as well as obvious value for our
health and our well-being and our survival. In fact, as you know, the
economic revolution in renewable fuels has been impressive. It really
had not been anticipated. In any case, you have the symbolism and active
significance of members of the Rockefeller family and two of the
Rockefeller foundations recognizing this - withdrawing from fossil fuels
in terms of their investments, divesting themselves - and recognizing a
new kind of economic possibility. So the economic side is making itself
felt. Unfortunately, it's still in a sense an impasse because there are
lots of people who continue to defend those stranded assets with what I
call stranded imagination or stranded ethics. They insist they have a
fiduciary duty in terms of their corporation to serve investors by
making use of those stranded assets. But there's more and more pressure
against them and more and more of what I call "species awareness" that
condemns this pattern of stranded ethics.
*Moyers: I want to believe you, but it still seems to me that powerful
capitalist organizations such as ExxonMobil, libertarian oligarchs like
the Koch brothers, and superrich right-wingers like the Mercer family
are not going to want to leave all that buried treasure in the ground.*
*Lifton:*Most of them will do their damnedest to bring it out of the
ground and see themselves as even doing good in the process by creating
jobs and by enhancing the economies of the developing world and other
such rationalizations, yes. But there's more and more of a recognition
against it, again as embodied by the Paris accord. It's of some
significance Donald Trump tried to withdraw from Paris, never quite
succeeded, and now seems to be looking for a way to stay in the treaty.
Of course, he's declaring all kinds of victories because he says we're
renegotiating the treaty, which means renegotiating with yourself, since
you set the standards that one agrees to for reducing carbon emissions.
But the fact that he couldn't finally take us completely out of the
Paris accord and that when he tried to there was a rallying by
individual states, led by California and by others in the world,
reasserting the principles of Paris we're all in this together - well,
you can't deny the power of climate swerve - this new global awareness
about climate danger....
http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/the_climate_swerve_reflections_on_mind_hope_and_survival_with_robert_jay_lifton_and_bill_moyers

*The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: Robert Jay Lifton and Bill Moyers
on 'A Duty to Warn'
<http://billmoyers.com/story/dangerous-case-donald-trump-robert-jay-lifton-bill-moyers-duty-warn/>*
There will not be a book published this fall more urgent, important, or
controversial than The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, the work of 27
psychiatrists, psychologists and mental health experts to assess
President Trump's mental health. They had come together last March at a
conference at Yale University to wrestle with two questions. One was on
countless minds across the country: "What's wrong with him?" The second
was directed to their own code of ethics: "Does Professional
Responsibility Include a Duty to Warn" if they conclude the president to
be dangerously unfit?
As mental health professionals, these men and women respect the
long-standing "Goldwater rule" which inhibits them from diagnosing
public figures whom they have not personally examined. At the same time,
as explained by Dr. Bandy X Lee, who teaches law and psychiatry at Yale
School of Medicine, the rule does not have a countervailing rule that
directs what to do when the risk of harm from remaining silent outweighs
the damage that could result from speaking about a public figure -
"which in this case, could even be the greatest possible harm." It is an
old and difficult moral issue that requires a great exertion of
conscience. Their decision: "We respect the rule, we deem it subordinate
to the single most important principle that guides our professional
conduct: that we hold our responsibility to human life and well-being as
paramount."
Hence, this profound, illuminating and discomforting book undertaken as
"a duty to warn."
http://billmoyers.com/story/dangerous-case-donald-trump-robert-jay-lifton-bill-moyers-duty-warn/

*This Day in Climate History September 29, 2000
<http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/EnergyIssues3> -  from D.R. Tucker*
September 29, 2000: In an apparent effort to convince moderate voters
not to support Democratic opponent Al Gore, GOP presidential candidate
George W. Bush delivers an energy speech implying that he will pursue
efforts to reduce carbon pollution as president. Bush would go on to
abandon this implied promise during his tenure in the White House.
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/EnergyIssues3

////Send email to subscribe
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to this mailing. /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that