[TheClimate.Vote] April 27, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Apr 27 11:19:50 EDT 2018

/April 27, 2018/

[was this a movie?]*
Gulf Stream Slowdown may lead to hotter European summer
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyN2wE7Wuc>*
Climate State - Published on Apr 26, 2018 - Video !0:22
Atlantic Ocean heat transport might lead to hot European summers
goo.gl/GRMq63 Warm summers during the Younger Dryas cold reversal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyN2wE7Wuc
- - - -
[source: Nature Communications]
*Warm summers during the Younger Dryas cold reversal
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-04071-5>*

    Abstract
    The Younger Dryas (YD) cold reversal interrupts the warming climate
    of the deglaciation with global climatic impacts. The sudden cooling
    is typically linked to an abrupt slowdown of the Atlantic Meridional
    Overturning Circulation (AMOC) in response to meltwater discharges
    from ice sheets. However, inconsistencies regarding the YD-response
    of European summer temperatures have cast doubt whether the concept
    provides a sufficient explanation. Here we present results from a
    high-resolution global climate simulation together with a new July
    temperature compilation based on plant indicator species and show
    that European summers remain warm during the YD. Our climate
    simulation provides robust physical evidence that atmospheric
    blocking of cold westerly winds over Fennoscandia is a key mechanism
    counteracting the cooling impact of an AMOC-slowdown during summer.
    Despite the persistence of short warm summers, the YD is dominated
    by a shift to a continental climate with extreme winter to spring
    cooling and short growing seasons.

[Emmanuel Macron's full speech to Congress]
*Macron warns US Congress: There's no Planet B
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTx4DrBhzM>*
CNN Published on Apr 25, 2018
French President Emmanuel Macron delivers an address before the US
Congress, hitting on issues on which he and President Donald Trump differ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTx4DrBhzM

[One thing to do about climate change]
*Climate Change's Best Hope <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWu3TlB7XdY>*
NOVA PBS Official
Published on Apr 4, 2018
The one thing Katherine Hayhoe wishes we did about climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWu3TlB7XdY

[Health Conference]
*Conference offers Climate Change Solutions to Benefit Health
<https://medsocietiesforclimatehealth.org/hopeful-news/conference-offers-climate-change-solutions-to-benefit-health/>*
https://medsocietiesforclimatehealth.org/hopeful-news/conference-offers-climate-change-solutions-to-benefit-health/

[Wikipedia has plenty ]*
**Effects of global warming on human health
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_global_warming_on_human_health#Impact_on_mental_health>*
 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The effects of global warming include its effects on human health. The
observed and projected increased frequency and severity of climate
related impacts will further exacerbate the effects on human health.
This article describes some of those effects on individuals and populations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_global_warming_on_human_health#Impact_on_mental_health

[Book blurb - $28]
*Lyme: The First Epidemic of Climate Change
<https://islandpress.org/books/lyme>*
Mary Beth Pfeiffer
"Superbly written and researched." -Booklist
"Builds a strong case." -Kirkus
Lyme disease is spreading rapidly around the globe as ticks move into
places they could not survive before. The first epidemic to emerge in
the era of climate change, the disease infects half a million people in
the US and Europe each year, and untold multitudes in Canada, China,
Russia, and Australia.
Mary Beth Pfeiffer shows how we have contributed to this growing menace,
and how modern medicine has underestimated its danger. She tells the
heart-rending stories of families destroyed by a single tick bite, of
children disabled, and of one woman’s tragic choice after an exhaustive
search for a cure.
Pfeiffer also warns of the emergence of other tick-borne illnesses that
make Lyme more difficult to treat and pose their own grave risks. Lyme
is an impeccably researched account of an enigmatic disease, making a
powerful case for action to fight ticks, heal patients, and recognize
humanity’s role in a modern scourge.
https://islandpress.org/books/lyme

[take note]
*Aging, Climate Change, and Legacy Thinking
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3464837/>*
Climate change is a complex, long-term public health challenge. Older
people are especially susceptible to certain climate change impacts,
such as heat waves.
We suggest that older people may be a resource for addressing climate
change because of their concern for legacy-for leaving behind values,
attitudes, and an intact world to their children and grandchildren. We
review the theoretical basis for "legacy thinking" among older people.
We offer suggestions for research on this phenomenon, and for action to
strengthen the sense of legacy.
At a time when older populations are growing, understanding and
promoting legacy thinking may offer an important strategy for addressing
climate change.

[military study on sea level rise...results scary]
*Climate change could make thousands of tropical islands 'uninhabitable'
in coming decades, new research says.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/04/25/climate-change-could-make-thousands-of-tropical-islands-uninhabitable-in-coming-decades-new-study-says/?utm_term=.aef417903ae0&wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1>*
By Chris Mooney and Brady Dennis
More than a thousand low-lying tropical islands risk becoming
"uninhabitable" by the middle of the century - or possibly sooner -
because of rising sea levels, upending the populations of some island
nations and endangering key U.S. military assets, according to new
research published Wednesday.
The threats to the islands are twofold. In the long term, the rising
seas threaten to inundate the islands entirely. More immediately, as
seas rise, the islands will more frequently deal with large waves that
crash farther onto the shore, contaminating their drinkable water
supplies with ocean saltwater, according to the research...
- - -
"The coral reefs these days have suffered not only of sea-level rise but
mostly in terms of acidification of the ocean and also increase of
temperature," said Andre Droxler, a geoscientist at Rice University who
has studied how corals succumbed to fast-rising seas at the end of the
last ice age. "So climate change will increase the rate of sea-level
rise, but also it will decrease the possibility for these corals to keep
up."
The current study suggests that if reefs falter - as they are doing
around the world - then the major wave risk to coral atoll islands could
come still earlier.
Droxler said the study reminded him of Maldives, where he has worked and
which faces a situation similar to that of the Marshall Islands. "The
maximum elevation is 2.4 meters, and there are more than 140,000 people
living in two square miles," he said of the capital island of Male.
"It is kind of the ultimate example of the destiny of these tropical
islands, which are so low in elevation," Droxler said.
And each passing year, as seas continue to rise and the nations and the
world wrestle with how to cut carbon dioxide emissions, thousands of
islands grow closer to a reckoning.
"The longer we talk about this," Conger said, "the more the distant
future becomes the near future."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/04/25/climate-change-could-make-thousands-of-tropical-islands-uninhabitable-in-coming-decades-new-study-says/?utm_term=.aef417903ae0&wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1
- - - - -
[DoD's Environmental Research Programs]
*The Impact of Sea-Level Rise and Climate Change on Department of
Defense Installations on Atolls in the Pacific Ocean
<https://www.serdp-estcp.org/Program-Areas/Resource-Conservation-and-Resiliency/Infrastructure-Resiliency/Vulnerability-and-Impact-Assessment/RC-2334/>*
RC-2334
The results presented here, therefore, provide coastal managers an
estimate of the effect of different oceanographic, geomorphic, geologic,
and hydrologic characteristics on potential coastal hazards caused by
wave-driven flooding of coral reef-lined coasts globally and how these
may change in the future.
https://www.serdp-estcp.org/Program-Areas/Resource-Conservation-and-Resiliency/Infrastructure-Resiliency/Vulnerability-and-Impact-Assessment/RC-2334/
- - - - -
The Impact of Sea-Level Rise and Climate Change on Department of Defense
Installations on Atolls in the Pacific Ocean  RC-2334
- - - - - -
RESEARCH ARTICLE OCEANOGRAPHY
*Most atolls will be uninhabitable by the mid-21st century because of
sea-level rise exacerbating wave-driven flooding
<http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/4/eaap9741>*
Abstract
Sea levels are rising, with the highest rates in the tropics, where
thousands of low-lying coral atoll islands are located. Most studies on
the resilience of these islands to sea-level rise have projected that
they will experience minimal inundation impacts until at least the end
of the 21st century. However, these have not taken into account the
additional hazard of wave-driven overwash or its impact on freshwater
availability. We project the impact of sea-level rise and wave-driven
flooding on atoll infrastructure and freshwater availability under a
variety of climate change scenarios. We show that, on the basis of
current greenhouse gas emission rates, the nonlinear interactions
between sea-level rise and wave dynamics over reefs will lead to the
annual wave-driven overwash of most atoll islands by the mid-21st
century. This annual flooding will result in the islands becoming
uninhabitable because of frequent damage to infrastructure and the
inability of their freshwater aquifers to recover between overwash
events. This study provides critical information for understanding the
timing and magnitude of climate change impacts on atoll islands that
will result in significant, unavoidable geopolitical issues if it
becomes necessary to abandon and relocate low-lying island states.
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/4/eaap9741

Book Review
*Holding the Un-grievable: A Psychoanalytic Approach to the
Environmental Crisis. Review of Climate Crisis,
<https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/wAFQIKWrKaKhrWcTInaJ/full>*Psychoanalysis,
and Radical Ethics, by Donna M. Orange. New York, NY: Routledge, 2017.
148 pp.
Elizabeth Allured , Psy.D.
Orange steps out of the typical territory of psychoanalysis, and invites
us to deeply examine our unconscious and conscious beliefs about our
"rights" to own and use, however we see fit, the landscape and resources
of the earth. Orange ties the current environmental crisis to roots in
colonialism and chattel slavery. Most contemporary environmentalists do
not focus on causal effects from the 16th through the 19th centuries,
and instead place blame primarily on the steep rise in fossil fuel
consumption from the early 20th century onwards, and on our addiction to
lifestyles based on this.
- - - - -
As analysts, we have focused narrowly on the human, rather than on the
larger environmental context. This narrowing of the analytic field may
have been necessary to discover processes such as transference,
countertransference, projection, enactment, and the many complexities of
human intersubjectivity. But as Searles implored in 1972, and as Orange
reminds us in her groundbreaking and scholarly text, it is time for us
to turn our focus to the nonhuman environment if we are to save
ourselves from suicide. We experience both great longings for, and great
fears of, the nonhuman environment (Allured, 2012 Allured, E. (2012),
which we aggress upon, at times mercilessly. Using the analytic lens,
widened to include a focus on our environmental ground-of-being, we are
uniquely positioned to help our patients and ourselves know and come to
terms with loving and destructive feelings concerning the larger
ecosystem, which sustains us all, but which can no longer survive our
current assaults.
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/wAFQIKWrKaKhrWcTInaJ/full

*Psychologists and other social scientists have contributed to a crucial
body of work on how people are coping and psychologically adapting to
climate change.
<https://www.psychology.org.au/About-Us/What-we-do/advocacy/Advocacy-social-issues/Environment-climate-change-psychology/Resources-for-Psychologists-and-others-advocating/Coping-and-adapting-to-climate-change>*
Psychological adaptation includes: how people perceive and understand
the problems, how they react emotionally, how they decide what to do,
and how they behave in response to the problems.
Key points

    Research into climate change coping strategies regard climate change
    as an environmental stressor. Unlike other stressors which are often
    personal, (like illness, or an accident, or unemployment), climate
    change is more universally experienced, chronic, in many ways
    intangible, but still quite an extreme stressor.

    Alongside physical and structural adjustment to environmental
    changes, adaptation also includes a range of coping actions that
    individuals and communities may take in response to environmental
    threats, as well as psychological processes that both precede and
    follow behavioural responses.

    Climate change coping strategies include things like taking
    environmentally responsible actions (this is a potent way to manage
    and reduce the anxiety); adopting a problem-solving attitude;
    cognitive re-structuring or reframing; social support-seeking;
    becoming more attentive to the issue, expressive coping.

    There are also maladaptive coping strategies that people can engage
    in, like avoidance/denial, diversionary tactics, unrealistic
    optimism, wishful thinking, resignation.

https://www.psychology.org.au/About-Us/What-we-do/advocacy/Advocacy-social-issues/Environment-climate-change-psychology/Resources-for-Psychologists-and-others-advocating/Coping-and-adapting-to-climate-change

*This Day in Climate History - April 27,    - from D.R. Tucker*
April 27, 2009: NPR reports:
"Sixteen nations are responsible for 80 percent of the world's
greenhouse gas emissions. Now those nations, dubbed the 'major
emitters,' are sending representatives to a conference beginning Monday
in Washington, D.C., to see if they can work together to slow the pace
of climate change.
"The Obama administration has moved quickly to deal with climate change
in the international arena. It has joined the United Nations talks that
will take place in Copenhagen later this year and are aimed at
developing a climate-change treaty. It is working one-on-one with China
— which recently surpassed the U.S. as the world's largest carbon emitter.
"And in the meetings that start Monday, the Obama administration is
convening the 16 nations that contribute most to climate change."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103465542

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that