[TheClimate.Vote] February 3, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Feb 3 09:22:50 EST 2018

/February 3, 2018/

/[succinct core message from climate scientist Dr. Jim White; delivered
to a predominately male audience of broadcast meteorologists. Clip from
transcript:]/
*Climate Change: Dr Jim White (January 2018)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFNyRzrzdo&feature=youtu.be&t=56m20s>*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFNyRzrzdo&feature=youtu.be&t=56m31s

    I always leave you with these three thoughts: I continue to do this,
    we already talked about this thought:
    *Number one, show the kids some love*
    You live on a water planet, if you don't pay attention to the next
    fifty years you're going to never solve the problem. So think about
    your kids, think about your kids. Alright. *
    Thought number two: show the poorest of the world some love.*
    We've got two billion people, if they go into the same kind of
    fossil fuel consumption or same kind of energy consumption,  same
    kind of water consumption that we have today, (it will) be very,
    very, very challenging. Right?
    They have got to be at a high enough economic level that they care
    about the planet. (Enough) that the the collective health, if you
    will, is something on their radar screen. That's got to be something
    that they think about.
    And right now they are just thinking about food for the next day.
    They're thinking about shelter for the next day.
    They're not thinking about sustainability, right?
    *Thought number three: Yo, it's time to end male dominance*
    Right?  We live in a world in which we've got to deal with
    population increase and the number one way to deal with population
    increase is to empower women; politically and economically. Right?
    Demographers tell us this over and over and over again until they're
    blue in the face.
    And we go, "How are we going to deal with population?" Well yeah,
    you can deal with population.
    You deal with it by changing the power dynamic that has existed for
    thousands of years between men and women.
    Wow don't we live in interesting times! right? It is about time to
    end male dominance and I believe that's about what we're seeing
    these days.
    Alright I'll stop there and take questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFNyRzrzdo&feature=youtu.be&t=56m31s
full presentation https://youtu.be/iPFNyRzrzdo

[Snowpack]
*Is California's Drought Returning? Snowpack Nears 2015's Historic Lows
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01022018/california-snowpack-near-2015-drought-low-water-supply-forest-concerns>*
The snow in the Sierras, source of about a third of the state's water
supply, is only at 27 percent of normal.
Georgina Gustin
Frank Gehrke, chief of the state water survey, measured the snow depth
at Phillips at 13.6 inches, with 2.6 inches of water content - about 14
percent of the average. Overall, snowpack in the Sierras - which
provides roughly a third of the state's water supply - is at 27 percent
of normal for February 1.
"California's weather is very, very variable," Mead said. "The state, as
a whole, has had two atmospheric rivers and we average five. We still
have half a winter to go."
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01022018/california-snowpack-near-2015-drought-low-water-supply-forest-concerns

[future of flying]
*Here are all the ways climate change will ruin your flight
<https://www.popsci.com/climate-change-travel-flying-planes>*
Look forward to disruptions related to heat, wind, and water.
And in coming years, air travel could become even more frustrating
thanks to climate change. The jet stream is strengthening at high
altitudes, which means that once you're airborne, you'll be more likely
to encounter turbulence. And if you're traveling from Europe to the
United States - in other words, against the jet stream - your flight
will probably take longer than today's trips...
In future, around 10 to 30 percent of flights taking off during the
hottest time of day will likely need weight restrictions, Coffel and his
colleagues reported last year in the journal Climatic Change. The team
examined 19 major airports around the world and climate projections for
those areas in 2060 to 2080. They found that the temperature where
flights start running into problems will depend on the type of plane and
on the airport's elevation and runway length. Higher altitude means
thinner air, and shorter runways mean less distance for a plane to build
up the extra speed it needs to take off on sizzling days. Long-haul
flights will be particularly vulnerable since they have to carry full
fuel loads, making them heavier. In some cases, 90 or 100-degree heat
will be enough to prevent a plane from taking off at its maximum weight,
Coffel says...
To keep things running smoothly, airlines will have to start planning
for floods, heat waves, and other disruptions today. "A substantial
challenge facing adaptation to climate change is the establishment of
financing in order to support the development and implementation of
adaptation projects," Neil Dickson, chief of the environment standards
section at the International Civil Aviation Organization, said in an emai
https://www.popsci.com/climate-change-travel-flying-planes

[trauma]
*Israeli trauma experts teach resilience in Houston
<https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-trauma-experts-teach-resilience-in-houston/>*
Mental-health professionals from the Israel Trauma Coalition kick off a
series of train-the-trainer sessions for about 65 professionals.
for more information http://israeltraumacoalition.org/
Strengthening individuals and communities to cope better with crisis
https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-trauma-experts-teach-resilience-in-houston/

[polar bear tracking]
*Polar Bears Wearing Cameras and Fitbits Reveal an Arctic Struggle for
Survival
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01022018/polar-bear-survival-video-arctic-sea-ice-loss-metabolism-study-climate-change>*
As Arctic sea ice disappears with global warming, polar bears will have
a harder time catching seals. A new study shows how that puts their
survival at risk.
Sabrina Shankman
Over eight to 11 days, they tracked each bear's actions while the camera
recorded <https://youtu.be/UKTx2OTnll0> what the bear was doing,
explained Pagano - "resting versus walking versus swimming."
When scientists studied polar bears they had captured, outfitted with
cameras and released, they found that the bears' metabolism was 1.6
times higher than previously thought, making it harder for the animals
to find enough food. In short: too many calories burned and not enough
calories consumed.
video recording <https://youtu.be/UKTx2OTnll0> https://youtu.be/UKTx2OTnll0
The study, released Thursday in the journal Science, provides the
clearest view yet of polar bear physiology. By approaching the study in
a novel way - examining the bear's body condition and affixing cameras
with GPS - the scientists were able to see how polar bears spend their
time, how successful they are on hunts and how much time they spend
walking, swimming or resting.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01022018/polar-bear-survival-video-arctic-sea-ice-loss-metabolism-study-climate-change

[WIRED guide]
*THE WIRED GUIDE TO CLIMATE CHANGE
<https://www.wired.com/story/guide-climate-change/>*
The world is getting warmer, the weather is getting worse. Here's
everything you need to know about what humans can do to stop wrecking
the planet.
https://www.wired.com/story/guide-climate-change/

[GermanWatch]
*The Climate Change Performance Index 2018
<https://www.climate-change-performance-index.org/the-climate-change-performance-index-2018>*
Under the Paris Agreement, for the first time climate action was
anchored in the context of international law. This requires countries to
make their own unique contribution to the prevention of dangerous
climate change. The next crucial step to follow this agreement is the
rapid implementation by the signing parties of concrete measures to make
their individual contributions to the global goal. For the past 13
years, the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) has been keeping
track of countries' efforts in combating climate change. The varying
initial positions, interests and strategies of the numerous countries
make it difficult to distinguish their strengths and weaknesses and the
CCPI has been an important tool in contributing to a clearer
understanding of national and international climate policy.
https://www.climate-change-performance-index.org/the-climate-change-performance-index-2018

[sustainability]
*Climate change and sustainable lifestyles
<https://phys.org/news/2018-01-climate-sustainable-lifestyles.html#jCp>*
January 10, 2018 by Ricardo García-Mira, University of Bath
Current patterns of production and consumption are not sustainable and
are already responsible for problems that are complex to solve – and
interconnected with each other. This makes it a priority for any
political leader to find the most appropriate ways to introduce a new
scenario of ecological transition towards a more sustainable economic model.
The economic crisis has led to a deep recession in many parts of Europe
and has underlined the need for a profound transformation of our
economic institutions and government in an intelligent, sustainable and
inclusive direction. Europe today faces a challenge: in addition to
developing sufficient capacities to improve well-being, providing decent
employment, reducing inequality, combatting poverty and preserving the
natural environment, it must also manage natural resources efficiently
and responsibly. It must decarbonise the economy and promote alternative
lifestyles less dependent on carbon...
There is a great concern throughout Europe about how new scenarios of
consumption reduction might impact the economy, and how the changes that
these scenarios elicit could influence employment and its distribution;
the balance between work and free time; and, in general, everything that
produces a negative impact. It is necessary to be aware of these new
scenarios, along with the conditions, potentials and obstacles so that
we can identify our priorities and design the necessary regulatory
processes and action protocols. Such processes and protocols will serve
as the basis for the transformation of our economic system within the
framework of the transition towards a more sustainable society, towards
a more sustainable lifestyle. They should also include proposals on the
most effective means to support and accelerate the green transition,
especially in the fields of energy, water, transport and mobility (see
García-Mira et al., 2016), as well as in the energy efficiency of
building, agriculture and forest policy. It is urgent that we evaluate
the impact that the introduction of urban transformations with solutions
based on nature could have on adaptation to climate change, health and
well-being, social cohesion and sustainable economic development. This
implies implementing a green tax system and incentive programming
capable of maintaining a constant process of decarbonisation in the
economy...
The creation of an appropriate space for innovation and social
participation is also demanded here, where social innovation can emerge
as the result of the creative processes that arise from the encounters
between the different actors. Creating new spaces in which different
disciplines and actors can establish common terms of reference and a
shared language is absolutely necessary. But perhaps it is even more
important, in addition to a shared language, to share the idea that the
social and the environmental – when based on knowledge of the social
sciences – can contribute to improving society. Social innovation refers
here to introducing changes in the relationships between actors and
institutions that incorporate new ways of approaching problems such as
environmental migration, unemployment, energy poverty, climate change,
inequality, marginalisation and difficulties in accessing certain
services. These are new ways of responding to social needs that are not
adequately covered when they fall under the exclusive responsibility of
public institutions.
https://phys.org/news/2018-01-climate-sustainable-lifestyles.html#jCp

[choices]
*Climate change is impacting some women's decisions to have children
<http://wgntv.com/2018/01/31/climate-change-is-impacting-some-womens-decisions-to-have-children/>*
The state of worry has created groups such as Conceivable Future. The
group is made up of men and women. Though largely made of women,
everyone comes to discuss the next generation and climate change.
Members of the organization aren't optimistic for what is ahead, so they
are unsure about bringing a child into an uncertain future...
http://wgntv.com/2018/01/31/climate-change-is-impacting-some-womens-decisions-to-have-children/
-
*Conceivable Future <http://conceivablefuture.org/>*  is a women-led
network of Americans bringing awareness to the threat climate change
poses to reproductive justice, and demanding an end to US fossil fuel
subsidies.
http://conceivablefuture.org/

[ReliefWeb International]
*Impact of Climate Change on Karachi May be One of Pakistan's Biggest
Threats
<https://reliefweb.int/report/pakistan/impact-climate-change-karachi-may-be-one-pakistan-s-biggest-threats>*
ReliefWeb
However, this perception is changing as global warming starts to impact
everyday life. In 2007-2008, a Gallup poll found that only 34 percent of
Pakistanis were aware of climate change, and only 24 percent considered
it a serious threat but by 2015, Pakistan had joined a list by Pew
Research Center of ...
German Watch, a German think-tank in its recent Global Climate Risk
Index 2016 report listed Pakistan number five in the list of top 10
countries most affected by climate change...
Karachi, Pakistan's main portal city is also far from immune to the
impacts of global rising temperatures.
In fact, urban cities – such as Karachi – are usually more susceptible
to heat waves due to a phenomena knows as the "heat island effect" which
causes temperatures to be 5-8 degreesC higher than the countryside...
"Deforestation, miles of asphalt roads and vertical building structures
increase heat absorption and limit air circulation," says Zainub
AlRustamani, a sustainable urban planning consultant and architect.
While no major tsunami has struck Karachi since 1945, a drill
stimulating a major earthquake in the Indian Ocean conducted by United
Nations warned that the tsunami waves could reach Karachi in just one
and a half hours and "wipe out the entire city"...
"For decades, Pakistan has struggled to manage urgent crises, ranging
from infrastructure woes to terrorism," adds Khan. "There is no
downplaying the severity of those threats but, at the same time, it is
vital to acknowledge that another potentially devastating danger lurks
in the shadows."
https://reliefweb.int/report/pakistan/impact-climate-change-karachi-may-be-one-pakistan-s-biggest-threats

*This Day in Climate History February 3, 2011
<http://youtu.be/yUE0hjtiiSM>  -  from D.R. Tucker*
February 3, 2011: President Obama discusses his administration's clean
energy efforts at Penn State University.
http://youtu.be/yUE0hjtiiSM

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
Send email to subscribe <a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22>
to news clippings. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that