[TheClimate.Vote] July 22, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jul 22 10:29:33 EDT 2018

/July 22, 2018/

[Youth demo in Washington, D.C.]
*Meet the Teenagers Leading a Climate Change Movement
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/21/us/politics/zero-hour-climate-march.html>*
They are trying to prove the adults wrong, to show that people their age
are taking heed of what they see as the greatest crisis threatening
their generation.
"In our generation when we talk about climate change, they're like: 'Ha
ha, that's so funny. It's not something we'll have to deal with,'" said
Nadia Nazar, Zero Hour's art director. "'Oh, yeah, the polar bears will
just die, the seas will just rise.' They don't understand the actual
caliber of the destruction."
The group is building off the momentum of other recent youth-led
movements, such as the nationwide March for Our Lives rallies against
gun violence.
"No one gives you an organizing guide of how to raise thousands of
dollars, how to get people on board, how to mobilize," Ms. Margolin
said. "There was no help. It was just me floundering around with
Dory-like determination, like, 'Just keep swimming,'" she said,
referring to the Disney movie "Finding Nemo."
- - - - -
Since starting Zero Hour, Ms. Margolin said she had been overwhelmed by
the response from people of all ages. Dozens of environmental advocacy
groups and nonprofits have approached the coalition, looking to donate
to or sponsor it.
"We flipped the scenario as the underdog. We've proven ourselves," she
said. "We are on the verge of something amazing. We're going to change
history."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/21/us/politics/zero-hour-climate-march.html
- - - -
[Zero Hour]
*We are the ones we've been waiting for. <http://thisiszerohour.org/>*
The mission of the Zero Hour movement is to center the voices of diverse
youth in the conversation around climate and environmental justice. Zero
Hour is a youth-led movement creating entry points, training, and
resources for new young activists and organizers (and adults who support
our vision) wanting to take concrete action around climate change.
Together, we are a movement of unstoppable youth organizing to protect
our rights and access to the natural resources and a clean, safe, and
healthy environment that will ensure a livable future where we not just
survive, but flourish.
http://thisiszerohour.org/
- - - -
[The Platform]
*Platform Documents*
People's Platform [PDF]
<http://thisiszerohour.org/files/zh-peoples-platform-web.pdf>
Letter to Politicians [PDF]
<http://thisiszerohour.org/files/zh-platform-politicians-web.pdf>
Our Guiding Principles [PDF]
<http://thisiszerohour.org/files/zh-guiding-principles-web.pdf>
Just Transition [PDF]
<http://thisiszerohour.org/files/ZeroHour_JustTransition.pdf>
http://thisiszerohour.org/platform/

[What did you say?]
*Global Warming Naive
<https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/global-warming-naive/>*
Posted on July 22, 2018
At a town hall meeting near Philadelphia, 18-year-old Rose Strauss had a
question for Scott Wagner, the Republican candidate for governor of
Pennsylvania:
You've said that climate change is a result of people's body heat, and
are refusing to take action on the issue. Does this have anything to do
with the $200,000 that you have taken from the fossil fuel industry?
Wagner responded by calling her "young and naive" in a way that seems to
me to be shamefully condescending; judge for yourself: Scott Wagner
Callously Dismisses Voter As "Young And Naive" For Caring About Climate
Change <https://youtu.be/tC4VRRiEKO0> https://youtu.be/tC4VRRiEKO0
As for her question, USA Today reports

    He did not answer her question and ultimately shifted the
    conversation to concern about sewage spilling into the Susquehanna
    River in Harrisburg.
    It turns out Scott Wagner really did say that body heat is part of
    the reason for global warming, and added the Earth moving closer to
    the sun as well:
    I haven't been in a science class in a long time, but the Earth
    moves closer to the sun every year - you know, the rotation of the
    Earth. We're moving closer to the sun.…

We have more people…you know, humans have warm bodies. So is heat coming
off?
Actually, at present the Earth is moving very slightly further away from
the sun each year. I also doubt that he quite understands the difference
between Earth's rotation and its revolution around the sun.
It seems that Scott Wagner's callous insult to the young woman is
costing him votes. Do you think maybe he's "naive"?
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/global-warming-naive/

[Season warming]
*Climate Change Is Disrupting the Planet's Seasons
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-20/climate-change-is-disrupting-the-planet-s-seasons>*
Four decades of temperature observations show what many suspected: Human
activity is disrupting the behavior of plants, animals, and the march of
the seasons.
By Eric Roston - July 20, 2018,
Poring over four decades of satellite data, climate scientists have
concluded for the first time that humans are pushing seasonal
temperatures out of balance-shifting what one researcher called the very
"march of the seasons themselves."...
- - - - -
Ben Santer, an atmospheric scientist at Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory and the study's lead author, likens the temperature results
to a wave washing up on a beach. For every year in the 38-year satellite
record, the team captured the monthly temperature lows (troughs) and
highs (crests). In the early years, the "waves" came in small. By the
end of the data set under study, 2016, the waves crashed ashore with
higher troughs-and much higher crests...
- - - -
What they discovered is an uneven pace of seasonal change in the
atmosphere above the Northern and Southern Hemispheres' temperate zones.
While warming is famously global, summers in the troposphere are heating
faster than winters, in a way physics would dictate if greenhouse gases
were the culprit. The satellite data and computer models for seasonal
temperature change used by the study agree with each other even more
closely than they do when gauging average annual temperature....
- - -
"To me when incorrect claims are elevated to the level of formal
congressional testimony and are part of the Congressional Record, then
it is important to address them," Santer said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-20/climate-change-is-disrupting-the-planet-s-seasons
- - -
[Sources]
*Human influence on the seasonal cycle of tropospheric temperature
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6399/eaas8806>*
Benjamin D. Santer1, et al
*'Tis the seasonal*

    Anthropogenic climate change has become clearly observable through
    many metrics. These include an increase in global annual
    temperatures, growing heat content of the oceans, and sea level rise
    owing to the melting of the polar ice sheets and glaciers. Now,
    Santer et al. report that a human-caused signal in the seasonal
    cycle of tropospheric temperature can also be measured (see the
    Perspective by Randel). They use satellite data and the
    anthropogenic "fingerprint" predicted by climate models to show the
    extent of the effects and discuss how these changes have been
    caused. (Science, this issue p. eaas8806; see also p. 227)

- - -
Structured Abstract
*INTRODUCTION*

    Fingerprint studies use pattern information to separate human and
    natural influences on climate. Most fingerprint research relies on
    patterns of climate change that are averaged over years or decades.
    Few studies probe shorter time scales. We consider here whether
    human influences are identifiable in the changing seasonal cycle. We
    focus on Earth's troposphere, which extends from the surface to
    roughly 16 km at the tropics and 13 km at the poles. Our interest is
    in TAC, the geographical pattern of the amplitude of the annual
    cycle of tropospheric temperature. Information on how TAC has
    changed over time is available from satellite retrievals and from
    large multimodel ensembles of simulations.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6399/eaas8806
- - - -
[more science fundamentals]
*Tropospheric Warming Over The Past Two Decades
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-02520-7>*
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6399/eaas8806
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-02520-7>

[DeSmogBlog report]
*Billionaire Mining Magnate Gina Rinehart Revealed As Key Donor to
Australian Climate Science Denial Promoter Institute of Public Affairs
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/07/17/billionaire-mining-magnate-gina-rinehart-revealed-key-donor-australian-climate-science-denial-promoter-institute>*
By Graham Readfearn - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 20:09
Australia's richest person, mining magnate Gina Rinehart, has been
revealed as a key funder of the right wing think tank the Institute of
Public Affairs (IPA) - a major pusher of climate science denial.
Rinehart's company, Hancock Prospecting Proprietary Ltd (HPPL), donated
$2.3 million to the IPA in 2016 and $2.2 million in 2017, according to
disclosures made to the New South Wales Supreme Court.
As part of a long-running legal dispute over the use of company funds,
Gina Rinehart's daughter Bianca had served a subpoena to access
documents that would have shed light on the two donations from HPPL to
the IPA.
The IPA is an influential right wing think tank with close ties to
Australia's governing Liberal Party. IPA fellows regularly appear in the
media. The payments suggest that more than a third of the IPA's income
in 2016 and 2017 was from HPPL - majority-owned privately by Gina Rinehart.
According to Forbes, Rinehart was the seventh richest woman in the world
in 2017 and Australia's richest person, with current wealth estimated to
be $17.6 billion.
The IPA is a registered charity but is not legally required to disclose
its funders and has declined to reveal them in recent years, citing
concerns that donors could be "intimidated."
According to the court judgement, Bianca's solicitors had been provided
with a schedule of "donations and sponsorships" from HPPL where it was
disclosed, the judgement said, "that HPPL paid or provided amounts to
IPA in a total of $2.3 million for the 2016 financial year and $2.2
million in the 2017 financial year."
The donations also raise questions about the way the IPA has disclosed
the nature of its revenues.
The IPA's 2017 annual report declared $6.1 million of income but said
that "86 percent" had come from individuals. HPPL's $2.2 million
donation constituted more than a third of the IPA's income that year.
In 2016, the IPA reported that 91 percent of donations were from
individuals, but that year HPPL's $2.3 million donation constituted
almost half the IPA's income of $4.96 million that year.
DeSmog has emailed HPPL asking why it was supporting the IPA, if the
donations were linked to specific work, and if it was still a supporter.
DeSmog also asked the IPA about the donations and if supporters should
be concerned that so much if its income is derived from one person. IPA
spokesperson Evan Mulholland replied: "No comment."
Rinehart's Climate Science Denial
The IPA has long pushed climate science denialism - publishing books and
sponsoring speaking tours of prominent climate science deniers.
Rinehart's own views on human-caused climate change match those promoted
by the IPA.
In 2011, she wrote in a magazine column that she had "yet to hear
scientific evidence to satisfy me that if the very, very small amount of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (approximately 0.38%) was increased, it
could lead to significant global warming."
She added: "I have never met a geologist or leading scientist who
believes adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere will have any
significant effect on climate change, especially not from a relatively
small country like Australia."
Rinehart has also supported Australia speaking tours of UK climate
change denier Lord Christopher Monckton. Professor Ian Plimer, another
prominent geologist who rejects climate change science, sits on the
board of HPPL subsidiary Roy Hill Holdings.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/07/17/billionaire-mining-magnate-gina-rinehart-revealed-key-donor-australian-climate-science-denial-promoter-institute

[Climate refugee, climate migrant]
*Central American Refugees Are Fleeing Climate Change, Too
<https://theslot.jezebel.com/central-american-refugees-are-fleeing-climate-change-t-1827626386>*
Prachi Gupta
Refugees claiming asylum at the southern U.S. border are fleeing a
staggering set of harsh conditions, most often identified as widespread
violence and persecution. While both are driving factors, Central
Americans are also trying to escape the devastating effects of climate
change.
According to Todd Miller, author of Storming the Wall: Climate Change,
Migration, and Homeland Security, there is an increase in hurricanes,
landslides, droughts, and other natural disasters devastating enough to
displace people...
https://theslot.jezebel.com/central-american-refugees-are-fleeing-climate-change-t-1827626386

[From the Daily KOS]
*A former CIA analyst's protips on surviving the onslaught of bad news
<https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7/2/1777389/-A-former-CIA-analyst-s-protips-on-surviving-the-onslaught-of-bad-news?detail=emaildkre>*
KM Wehrstein
Today seems like the right time to do a thread I've been thinking about
for a while on how to handle the seemingly never-ending deluge of
depressing and disturbing news. My tips are based on my time as a CIA
military analyst in which I dealt daily with disturbing content.

*There are several risks to being overloaded with disturbing/negative
content.*

    Complacency - becoming so used to the deluge that it all starts to
    seem normal.
    Paralysis - that is, being so overwhelmed, you can't figure out what
    to do/how to move forward.
    Crisis perspective - you get trapped in the Breaking News cycle
    where everything seems like a potentially world-ending crisis to you.
    Depression/PTSD - you don't have to be on the frontline of a war
    have either/both. Disturbing content is absolutely a trigger.

There are also serious physical consequences to living a negative
content overloaded life. I had a colleague who didn't know he had stage
4 brain cancer because the symptoms were the same as our very stressful
careers-exhaustion, random fevers, stress, and dizziness.

So, what do you do? First, I strongly urge you not to ignore the
news/current events. Ignorance is one reason we have this society. It
won't make the problems go away & contributes nothing to their solving.
Now that that's established, here's how to make it easier to handle:

    *1. TAKE ACTION.* Volunteer for a food pantry, canvass for a
    political candidate, donate to a NGO, visit a sick friend.
    Seriously. Service of some kind in your community lets you be part
    of SOLUTIONS. You will see RESULTS when otherwise you'd feel helpless.

    *2*. Conversely, for those who may take tip #1 to the extreme -
    *know that you alone can't save the world. Accept your limits.* You
    aren't a 7/11. You can't always be open. At the end of every day
    when I reached my limit, I silently told myself, "I've done what I
    can today."  (Note: Repeating that to myself did not stop me from
    feeling like I could have done more most days. But it was important
    to tell myself anyway because I am human. We are human. It's good we
    *feel* things.)

    *3. RESEARCH BEFORE PANICKING*. Easier said than done, but
    everything will seem like crisis/earth-ending if you don't know what
    has/hasn't happened before. If it has happened before, it's can be
    hugely comforting to know how it was resolved and/or what might
    happen next.

    *4. GET UP & MOVE.* Put the phone away, turn off the TV, log out of
    Twitter. Go for a walk, sit outside, get some coffee, call a friend.
    CIA is full of ppl walking the building with a colleague/friend.
    There's a reason. Our brains & bodies need breaks from stressful
    content.

    *5. SET RULES.* Because of my work at CIA, I had a rule-I only read
    fiction at home. I had enough reality at work. In the civilian
    world, I set blocks of time each day where I turn everything off-no
    news or social media. Let yourself recharge so you can keep fighting
    later.

    *6. AVOID DARK HOLES.* (I'm sure there's a joke to be made about
    that.) It's easy to get sucked into the swirl of bad news. You watch
    a gruesome YouTube video and the next one is all queued up to play
    right after it. Focus on one issue at a time. Deal w/ it before
    moving on.

    *7. YOU NEED FUN.* When there is suffering, war, despair, etc.
    around you, it's easy to feel guilty when you have fun, feel happy,
    have a good meal with friends. You NEED these things. You will be
    better able to do good in the world if you let yourself have these
    things.

    *8. TALK TO SOMEONE*. Often, we curl inward socially when
    overwhelmed w/ negative content. It's a means of protection. One of
    the great things at CIA was that everyone else knew what you were
    going through. Whether it's therapy or talking to your person,
    talking helps.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7/2/1777389/-A-former-CIA-analyst-s-protips-on-surviving-the-onslaught-of-bad-news?detail=emaildkre
- - - -
[From the Good Grief Group]
*10 Steps to PsychoSocial Resilience
<http://www.goodgriefgroup.org/10-steps-to-psychsocial-resilience/>*
Steps to Resiliency
Want to cultivate personal resilience while being a part of a community?
Do you feel that someone is not quite right and you're living in a type
of matrix? Want to dig deep into systemic issues and help yourself and
others come to terms with what we're experiencing and will face? Are you
ready for open and honest dialogue?
[edited]
10 Steps to Resiliency:

    1. Accept The Problem And Its Severity
    2. Acknowledge That I Am Part Of The Problem As Well As The Solution
    3. Practice Embracing Uncertainty
    4. Confront My Own Mortality And The Mortality Of All
    5. Do Inner Work
    6. Feel My feelings
    7. Take Breaks And Rest As Needed
    8. Practice Gratitude
    9. Show Up
    10. Reinvest Into Problem-Solving Efforts

http://www.goodgriefgroup.org/10-steps-to-psychsocial-resilience/

*This Day in Climate History - July 22, 2013
<http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2013/jul/28/rush-holt/rush-holt-warns-millions-will-die-climate-change-g/>
- from D.R. Tucker*
July 22, 2013: Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), a carbon-tax advocate running for
the seat left vacant by the passing of Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ),
shocks the Washington establishment by bluntly stating that "millions
will die" if something is not done to address carbon pollution. (Rep.
Holt would go on to lose the Democratic Senate primary to Newark, NJ
mayor Cory Booker, who won the seat in the general election.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O4nEMAtP4&sns=em
http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2013/jul/28/rush-holt/rush-holt-warns-millions-will-die-climate-change-g/

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that