[TheClimate.Vote] July 26, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jul 26 10:13:31 EDT 2018

/July 26, 2018/

[Harsh reality today July 25]
*Facebook video spreads climate denial misinformation to 5 million users
<https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jul/25/facebook-video-spreads-climate-denial-misinformation-to-5-million-users&ct=ga&cd=CAEYCyoUMTgwMTI5OTQ4ODk2ODc2ODQ1MTMyGmJiYWI3Y2QzMTRmMmE3Y2E6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNH3ohE6CCPsd0t9ENWb_y180IbRpw>*
*Facebook is still struggling to contain its fake news problem*
Marc Morano is the real-world fossil fuel industry version ofNick Naylor
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILhDuYWvO0>.His career
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Morano#Career>began working for Rush
Limbaugh, followed by a job at Cybercast News Service where he
launchedthe 'Swift Boat' attacks
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiftboating>on 2004 Democratic
presidential candidate John Kerry. In 2006, Morano became the director
of communications for Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK), who is perhaps best
known forthrowing a snowball on the Senate floor
<http://time.com/3725994/inhofe-snowball-climate/>and calling
human-caused global warming "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the
American people."
Thus it's unsurprising that in 2009, Morano began directingfossil
fuel-funded think tanks <https://www.desmogblog.com/marc-morano>designed
to cast doubt on the reality of and dangers associated with human-caused
global warming. As he admitted in Merchants of Doubt, Morano frequently
embodies thestrategy of climate denial
<https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/opinions/cook-techniques-climate-change-denial/index.html>known
as 'fake experts':
Most recently, Morano createda short video
<https://www.facebook.com/LetFreedomSpeak/videos/854579488082979/UzpfSTE1MDk0NjUzODA6MTAyMTc0NjM2NDU4NTIyNzM/>that
centers on three common climate myths and has garnered over 5m views on
Facebook.
Morano's climate fake news video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=j8ii9zGFDtc
Morano begins his video by denying the97% expert consensus on
human-caused global warming
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/may/16/climate-change-scienceofclimatechange>.
Consensus denial isone of the most popular climate myths
<https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-intermediate.htm>,
and was the subject ofthe most widely-shared climate story of 2016
<https://www.desmogblog.com/2016/11/29/revealed-most-popular-climate-story-social-media-told-half-million-people-science-was-hoax>.
Morano's strategy is to critique two of the studies that found a 97%
expert consensus. One,published in 2009
<https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2009EO030002>by
Peter Doran and Maggie Zimmerman surveyed 3,146 Earth scientists, but
fewer than 80 of the participants were actively publishing climate
science research (and hence experts on the subject). Basically, the
critique is that the study sample size was too small to make a
conclusive determination about the level of expert consensus.
That's a valid point, except this was just one among many such climate
consensus studies. In fact, the authors of seven separate consensus
studies using a variety of approaches (some with very large sample
sizes) teamed up in 2016 to publish a paper concluding that the expert
consensus on human-caused global warming isbetween 90 and 100%
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/apr/13/its-settled-90100-of-climate-experts-agree-on-human-caused-global-warming>.
So, this critique is invalid when considering all the available
consensus research.
- - - - -
Mark Zuckerberg made headlines last week whenhe defended fake news from
Holocaust deniers
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/18/zuckerberg-facebook-holocaust-deniers-censorship>,
saying he didn't "think that they're intentionally getting it wrong."
It's virtually impossible to discern an individual's intent, but if that
person is spreading misinformation, intent is irrelevant. If Facebook
wants to stop misinforming millions of its users, it needs to tackle the
problem of fake news regardless of intent. So far,Facebook seems more
concerned about the appearance of 'bias'
<https://thinkprogress.org/facebook-conservative-bias-study-with-only-conservatives-03beb607e1f2/>than
about making sure the content shared on its site is factually correct.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jul/25/facebook-video-spreads-climate-denial-misinformation-to-5-million-users
- - - -
[*Comic relief satire *about Zuckerberg]
*"INTERROGATING ZUCKERBERG" - A Bad Lip Reading
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCDvOsdL9Q>*
Bad Lip Reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCDvOsdL9Q
Published on Apr 24, 2018
Tension mounted during Mark Zuckerberg's congressional hearing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCDvOsdL9Q

[Democracy Now! tv]
*As Heat Wave Sweeps the Globe, New Study Warns of Deadly Link Between
Rising Temps and Suicide <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzLVG5ql8U>*
Democracy Now! - Published on Jul 25, 2018
video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzLVG5ql8U>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzLVG5ql8U
https://democracynow.org - As deadly fires and heat waves kill scores
across the globe, a new study published in the journal Nature Climate
Change reports that when there are abnormally hot temperatures, there
also tend to be higher suicide rates. The study warns up to 26,000 more
people could die by suicide in the United States by 2050 if humans don't
reduce emissions of greenhouse gas pollution. We speak to Dr. Sanjay
Basu, co-author of the new study and assistant professor of medicine at
Stanford University.
Democracy Now! is an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on
nearly 1,400 TV and radio stations Monday through Friday. Watch our
livestream 8-9AM ET: https://democracynow.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzLVG5ql8U

[Why it's hot at the top of Scandinavia]
*Jet Stream Stalled over Sweden Climate Weather Connection Explained
<http://climatestate.com/2018/07/25/jet-stream-stalled-over-sweden-climate-weather-connection-explained/>*
This heatwave across much of the northern hemisphere could continue for
weeks, and possibly even months. And accelerated warming in the Arctic
compared to the rest of the planet could be a key contributor.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2174889-warming-arctic-could-be-behind-heatwave-sweeping-northern-hemisphere/
Jennifer Francis (Rutgers University), speaks March 2018 about weather
changes. And how are those related to climate change? Full talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FxJelkAtI
Kai Kornhuber (Climate Analytics) 2016, explains Rossby waves, full
release https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzW5Isbv2A0
http://climatestate.com/2018/07/25/jet-stream-stalled-over-sweden-climate-weather-connection-explained/

[Study in Phys.Org from 2017]
*Arctic sea ice loss could dry out California
<https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arctic-sea-ice-loss-california.html>*
The study identifies a new link between Arctic sea ice loss and the
development of an atmospheric ridging system in the North Pacific. This
atmospheric feature also played a central role in the 2012-2016
California drought and is known for steering precipitation-rich storms
northward, into Alaska and Canada, and away from California. The team
found that sea ice changes can lead to convection changes over the
tropical Pacific. These convection changes can in turn drive the
formation of an atmospheric ridge in the North Pacific, resulting in
significant drying over California...
https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arctic-sea-ice-loss-california.html

[Six Degrees and Global Witness reports]
*2017, the Deadliest Year for Land and Environmental Defenders as
Agri-Business Most Linked to Killings
<https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/25509/2017-the-deadliest-year-for-land-and-environmental-defenders-as-agri-business-most-linked-to-killings>*
GLOBAL WITNESS REVEALS THAT AT LEAST 207 LAND AND ENVIRONMENTAL
DEFENDERS WERE KILLED IN 2017- INDIGENOUS LEADERS, COMMUNITY ACTIVISTS
AND ENVIRONMENTALISTS MURDERED TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR HOMES AND
COMMUNITIES FROM MINING, AGRIBUSINESS AND OTHER DESTRUCTIVE INDUSTRIES.

    Global Witness annual figures show at least 207 land and
    environmental activists were killed in 2017 across 22 countries,
    almost 4 a week, making it the worst year on record.
    The report shows a huge rise in killings linked to consumer
    products. Brutal attacks on those defending their land from
    destructive agriculture - such as land grabs for palm oil, used in
    household goods like soap, and coffee - are on the rise.

It critically urges government and business to take action to end the
attacks and support defenders, with campaigners such as Yuri Herrera,
Margaret Atwood, Lily Cole, George Monbiot and Ben Fogle speaking out
against the killings.
Severe limits on the data available mean the global total is probably
much higher. Murder is the most egregious example of a range of tactics
used to silence defenders, including death threats, arrests,
intimidation, cyber-attacks, sexual assault and lawsuits.
These include the murder of Hernan Bedoya in Colombia, shot 14 times by
a paramilitary group for protesting against palm oil and banana
plantations on land stolen from his community; an army massacre of eight
villagers in the Philippines who opposed a coffee plantation on their
land; and violent attacks by Brazilian farmers, using machetes and
rifles, which left 22 members of the Gamela indigenous people severely
injured, some with their hands chopped off.

The report links this violence with the products on our shelves:
large-scale agriculture, mining, poaching, logging all produce
components and ingredients for supermarket products such as palm oil for
shampoo, soy for beef and timber for furniture.

The report also reveals that some governments and businesses are
complicit in the killings, with Global Witness calling for urgent action
if the trend is to be reversed. As well as being part of the problem,
governments and business can be part of the solution. They must tackle
the root causes of the attacks, for example ensuring communities are
allowed to say 'no' to projects, like mining, on their land; support and
protect defenders at risk and ensure justice is served for those
suffering from the violence.
https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/25509/2017-the-deadliest-year-for-land-and-environmental-defenders-as-agri-business-most-linked-to-killings

[Fire scientist tells of his fire - conversational]
long format interviews with Nature's editor for climate science, Michael
White
*Burning questions with Max Moritz
<http://forecastpod.org/index.php/2018/03/07/burning-questions-max-moritz/>*
Forecast: a podcast about climate science and climate scientists
Max Moritz <https://nature.berkeley.edu/moritzlab/> regales Mike with
some of the many intricacies of modern fire science. The dominant
narrative in the Western US might be "long-term fire suppression is
leading to severe fire seasons". While there is some truth here, the
individual fire stories are, inevitably, local. Local land use
practices, building codes, vegetation stress, and climate change all
conspire to make any one explanation…less than convincing. As Max tells
it, we need to accept fire as part of our human system, and move towards
a more active role in planning our future co-existence.
Podcast:Play in new window
<http://media.blubrry.com/forecast/p/content.blubrry.com/forecast/episode_66_max_moritz.mp3>|Download
<http://media.blubrry.com/forecast/s/content.blubrry.com/forecast/episode_66_max_moritz.mp3>
http://forecastpod.org/index.php/2018/03/07/burning-questions-max-moritz/

[The gift of listening from 2015]
*#8 Renee Lertzman - We need to create space to share our stories
<http://www.klimatpodden.se/uncategorized/8-renee-lertzman-we-need-to-create-space-to-share-our-stories/>*
Renee Lertzman is an environmental engagement, research and strategy
advisor, living in Berkeley in California.
I met Renee in October and had a very inspiring conversation about the
psychology of climate change, how climate anxiety is affecting us , why
it is crucial that we create space for conversations were we can express
our feelings about climate change and why blaming and shaming people for
their behavior is not a very effective way to create action and engagement.
To be able to create a more sustainable world Renee says that we need
people who understand psychology working in partnership with people who
understand the global environmental situation and people who understand
how organizations operate.
For more information about Renee, visit her web site
<http://reneelertzman.com/>.
Renee's book: *Environmental Melancholia: Psychoanalytic dimensions of
engagement
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZITTVF8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_7aVHvb15SXZFD>*
http://www.klimatpodden.se/uncategorized/8-renee-lertzman-we-need-to-create-space-to-share-our-stories/
[Humor]*
** The Seneca Glass: Half Full or Half Empty?
<https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-seneca-glass-half-full-or-half-empty.html>*
Optimist: the glass is half full.
Pessimist: the glass is half empty.
Catastrophist. It will not be half full for long.
Cornucopian: We are running into water rather than out of it.
Oil executive: The more we drink, the more the water level grows.
Conspiracy Theorist: Water? What water? THEY want us to believe that
there is water in the glass.
Chemtrail believer: Don't look at the water! Look up at the sky! Don't
you see THEY are poisoning us?
Climate Science Denier: Scientists cannot predict the weather one week
in advance, how can they say if the glass is full or empty?
Bad Pun Lover: A fish was swimming in the glass. It swam into the wall
and said, "Damn!"
Thomas Malthus: You can only fill the glass at a linear rate, but people
will drink from it at exponentially rising rates.
Harold Hotelling: When there will be no more water in it, we'll use beer
as a backstop resource.
Robert Solow: the amount of water in the glass will keep growing
exponentially.
Neoclassical Economist: when the water level will be low enough, market
forces will create more.
Julian Simon: there is enough water in the glass to last for six billion
years.
Colin Campbell: After you drink the water in the glass, there will be
none left.
Charles Hall: the water return on energy invested (WROEI) declines as
you drink it.
Gail Tverberg: Water is not really a renewable resource: you will always
need fossil fuels to pump it into the glass.
Guy McPherson: All the water will have disappeared from planet Earth by
2030.
Donald Trump: We need to build a wall to keep the Mexicans from drinking
our water.
Matsuo Basho: The old glass. A frog jumps into it. The noise of water.
William Shakespeare: The empty part of the glass is filled with the
stuff dreams are made of.
Erwin Schroedinger: The glass is neither half full nor half empty -
until you drink from it.
Jesus Christ: Have faith and walk on the stones, just like I do.
Lao Zi: A glass of a thousand gallons is filled starting with just one drop.
Buddha: The water is an illusion, just like the glass. And the drinker, too.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca: It takes a long time to fill the glass, but
emptying it is rapid.
Ugo Bardi's blog
This blog deals with the decline of natural resources, climate change,
ecosystem disruption, and more. The future may not look bright, but it
is still possible to face it if we don't ignore the warnings of modern
Cassandras.
https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-seneca-glass-half-full-or-half-empty.html

*This Day in Climate History - July 26, 2011
<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2011/07/27/tim-dechristopher-sentenced-to-2-years-in-prison-for-creative-nonviolent-disruption-of-oil-lease-auction/>
- from D.R. Tucker*
July 26, 2011: Climate activist Tim DeChristopher, prosecuted by the
Obama administration for an act of civil disobedience during an
(illegal) oil and gas lease auction held in Utah during the final days
of the Bush administration, is sentenced to two years in prison. He
would ultimately be released in April 2013.
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2011/07/27/tim-dechristopher-sentenced-to-2-years-in-prison-for-creative-nonviolent-disruption-of-oil-lease-auction/

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that