[TheClimate.Vote] June 2, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jun 2 04:33:36 EDT 2018

/June 2, 2018/

[Carbon collusion]
*Trump Orders Action to Stem Coal, Nuclear Plant Shutdowns
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-01/trump-orders-perry-to-stem-coal-nuclear-power-plant-closures-jhw8smiv>*
By Jennifer A Dlouhy
June 1, 2018, 10:28 AM PDT Updated on June 1, 2018, 11:01 AM PDT
President directs Energy Department to take steps on power
Premature closures put electric grid at risk, White House says
President Donald Trump ordered his energy secretary to take immediate
action to stem power plant closures, arguing that a decline in coal and
nuclear electricity is putting the nation's security at risk.
"Impending retirements of fuel-secure power facilities are leading to a
rapid depletion of a critical part of our nation's energy mix and
impacting the resilience of our power grid," White House spokeswoman
Sarah Sanders said in an emailed statement Friday.
- - -
Coal producers rose on the news, with Peabody Energy Corp. climbing the
most since Aug. 1, 2017 and jumping as much as 6.8 percent to $46.23.
Arch Coal Inc. rose as much as 3.5 percent to $85.02. Consol Energy Inc.
gained as much as 3.9 percent to $45.80, while
Alliance Resource Partners LP was up 1.8 percent to $19.60. The Stowe
Global Coal Index was up 1 percent to 1,926....
- - - -
Under the Energy Department strategy, outlined in a memo obtained by
Bloomberg News, the administration would invoke national defense --
using authority granted under a pair of federal laws -- to establish a
"strategic electric generation reserve" and compel grid operators to buy
electricity from at-risk plants...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-01/trump-orders-perry-to-stem-coal-nuclear-power-plant-closures-jhw8smiv
- - - -
[Sarcasm from the Terminator]
*Schwarzenegger mocks Trump on coal bailout: Protect pagers, Blockbuster
too
<http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/390297-schwarzenegger-mocks-trump-for-helping-coal-industry-protect-pagers>*
Actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) on *Friday
mocked reports that President Trump is considering a plan to prolong the
use of struggling coal and nuclear plants, saying he eagerly awaits the
administration's regulations to protect pagers, fax machines and
Blockbuster...*
- - -
Schwarzenegger and Trump have had an ongoing feud for years now.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/390297-schwarzenegger-mocks-trump-for-helping-coal-industry-protect-pagers
- - - -
[Decried]
*Trump Taxpayer-Funded Coal and Nuclear Bailout Decried as 'Breathtaking
Abuse of Authority'
<https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/06/01/trump-taxpayer-funded-coal-and-nuclear-bailout-decried-breathtaking-abuse-authority>*
Critics called the plan an "outrageous ploy" by Trump "to help his rich
friends" at the expense of Americans' pocketbooks and the environment
by Jessica Corbett, staff writer
Environmental advocates on Friday responded with outrage to confirmation
from the White House that President Donald Trump has ordered Energy
Secretary Rick Perry to plot what's being called an "unprecedented
intervention" by the federal government to bail out financially strapped
coal and nuclear power plants that can't compete with the renewable
energy sector.
"This is an outrageous ploy to force American taxpayers to bail out coal
and nuclear executives who have made bad decisions by investing in dirty
and dangerous energy resources," declared Mary Anne Hitt, director of
the Sierra Club's Beyond Coal campaign...
- - -
"The taxpayers should never be asked to bail out wealthy fossil fuel
executives who are trying to pollute our air and water with their dirty,
dangerous fuels, and bad decisions," Hitt added, vowing that Trumps's
"effort to push these illegal directives will be met with fierce
resistance in the courts and in the streets."
The developments come on the one-year anniversary of Trump's
announcement he would withdraw the United States from the Paris climate
agreement, which aims to decrease fossil fuel use to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions and limit global temperature rise within this century to 2
degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/06/01/trump-taxpayer-funded-coal-and-nuclear-bailout-decried-breathtaking-abuse-authority
- - - -
[Meanwhile the sunrise]
*Suddenly, solar energy plus storage is giving conventional fuels a run
for their money <https://ensia.com/features/solar-plus-storage/>*
The increasingly competitive dynamic duo of solar photovoltaic plus
battery storage is taking energy markets by storm...
Daniel Rothberg
"I feel like we're having to rewrite the talking points on the drawing
board every month in Colorado," he says.
In December, the state's largest utility - Xcel Energy - released a
short report
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4340162-Xcel-Solicitation-Report.html>
summarizing the responses to the solicitation it had issued to power
suppliers for bids to bring new sources of electricity to the grid. The
utility received 430 bids, and 350 of those were for renewable energy
projects.
That was remarkable on its own, but what surprised people even more were
the bids for projects that added battery storage to the mix. They were
cheaper than anyone expected.
"It's a testament to how quickly the market is changing," Pierce says..
https://ensia.com/features/solar-plus-storage/

[Pope summons a flock]
*Pope to meet with oil execs to discuss climate change: report
<http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/390208-pope-to-meet-with-oil-execs-to-discuss-climate-change-report>*
By John Bowden - 06/01/18
Pope Francis will meet with top executives in the oil industry and major
investment firms next week at the Vatican to discuss the global effects
of climate change,Axios reported
<https://www.axios.com/exclusive-pope-convenes-big-oil-investors-to-talk-climate-change-1527810398-44c1f3bb-37ed-4b98-a0a5-b6b65a3bffea.html?utm_source=sidebar>.
Among the guests scheduled to attend are Larry Fink, the CEO of asset
manager BlackRock, as well as Bob Dudley, CEO of BP, and Eldar Sætre of
Norway's oil and energy company Equinor.
Former U.S. Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz, who served in the Obama
administration, will also attend, according to a spokesperson.
Axios also reports multiple sources that say ExxonMobil would send a
representative, but the company did not confirm those reports.
The effort is being organized by the U.S.-based University of Notre Dame.
A Notre Dame spokesman told The Hill in an email that the summit arose
as a result of the university's compliance with Francis' 2015 letter
urging better stewardship of the environment...
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/390208-pope-to-meet-with-oil-execs-to-discuss-climate-change-report

[2 Videos and more links]
*Teaching Climate Change To Children
<http://teachclimatechange.org/teaching-climate-change-to-children/>*
by Glen Fields
Explaining climate change can be difficult especially when you are
attempting to teach climate change to children. Firstly, painting a
gloomy picture about the future of the world can damage a child's
psyche. They can become blasé and not want to do anything because what's
the point. Secondly, the science behind climate change is quite complex!
Well, thanks to Trans.Mission and the National Environment Research
Counsel what better way to explain too hard concept other than cute
animated videos.
The first video is entitled Message from Antarctica. It was created by
Emily Shuckburgh who is an oceanographer with the British Antarctic
Survey and Chris Haughton who is a designer and illustrator. It appeals
to children because it contains cute penguins, walrus, and Eskimo
scientists. You can watch the video below and learn how the bubbles in
ice indicate how much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in years past.*
Trans.MISSION | Message from Antarctica <https://youtu.be/931drXJDqT4>*
https://youtu.be/931drXJDqT4
https://youtu.be/w-C7sOH4jio
The second video is Clean Air Starts At Home that helps explain how
household products full of chemicals have a negative impact on air
quality. You can watch this video to learn how everyday items such as
shampoo, air freshener, perfumes, etc can emit harmful volatile organic
compounds (VOCs) that interact with our sunlight and create smog.
*Trans.MISSION | Clean Air Starts at Home <https://youtu.be/ShLV86tWOtM>*
https://youtu.be/ShLV86tWOtM
NASA also has a whole website dedicated
<https://climatekids.nasa.gov/menu/teach/> to teaching children about
climate change that can be found here:
https://climatekids.nasa.gov/menu/teach/
Ths site includes coloring pages, crafts, and PDFs that are meant for
kids to learn while doing. If we start to educate our kids now about
climate change we can hope for a brighter and cleaner future. Our
favorite is the make an ocean ecosystem dessert - because who doesn't
like to cook and learn about science at the same time! Check it out!
https://climatekids.nasa.gov/ocean-ecosystem/
http://teachclimatechange.org/teaching-climate-change-to-children/

[Dashboard]
*Strauss Center Launches Complex Emergencies Dashboard
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/06/01/strauss-center-launches-complex-emergencies-dashboard/>*
The Strauss Center's Complex Emergencies and Political Stability in Asia
(CEPSA) program released the new Complex Emergencies Dashboard today. In
partnership with Development Gateway, CEPSA developed the online mapping
platform to enable policymakers and researchers to visualize CEPSA
datasets on climate vulnerability, conflict, national disaster
preparation, and international climate and disaster aid, along with
related external datasets on other security concerns like food access
and forced migration...
- - - -
The dashboard allows users to select and layer any combination of
data-including their own through ArcGIS Online-to explore how multiple
risks and responses intersect. For example, mapping conflict data over
climate vulnerability data can assess how local conflict patterns could
exacerbate climate-induced insecurity in an area. Or, mapping climate
aid projects over climate vulnerability data can assess if adaptation
aid is targeting areas facing the greatest climate risks, as shown below.
- - - -
"The Strauss Center is very excited about this next iteration of mapping
capabilities. With the high volume of research and data that the CEPSA
program produces, this platform is not only innovative, but also
user-friendly and easily accessible. The new dashboard is an ideal
resource for synthesizing complicated issues of national security
importance,'" said Anne Clary, Assistant Director of the Strauss Center.
Prior to the Complex Emergencies Dashboard, the Strauss Center's Climate
Change and African Political Stability (CCAPS) program and Development
Gateway produced several data dashboards focused on Africa
<http://www.strausscenter.org/ccaps/mappingtool> exploring how climate,
conflict, and aid intersect in Africa, earning Esri's Special
Achievements in GIS Award.
<http://events.esri.com/conference/sagList/?fa=Detail&SID=1713> This
Complex Emergencies Dashboard builds upon prior mapping and trends
analyses, while enhancing the user experience through new data
visualization capabilities, the integration of users' own data, and the
innovative Country Story feature that conveys in-depth contextual
information and qualitative research.
visit www.strausscenter.org/cepsa <http://www.strausscenter.org/cepsa>.
more at:
https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/06/01/strauss-center-launches-complex-emergencies-dashboard/
- - - - -
[interactive data map]
*Analyzing Complex Emergencies in Asia <http://strauss.tacc.utexas.edu/#/d>*
The Strauss Center's program on Complex Emergencies and Political
Stability in Asia (CEPSA) is a three-year research effort funded by the
U.S. Department of Defense's Minerva Initiative, a university-based,
social science research program focused on areas of strategic importance
to national security policy. Bringing together researchers from the
University of Texas at Austin, University of California at Berkeley,
Armed Conflict Location and Event Data project, and Development Gateway,
CEPSA explores  the causes and dynamics of complex emergencies in Asia
and options for building government capacity to prevent and respond to
such situations.
http://strauss.tacc.utexas.edu/#/d

[of course]
*Guest post: Exceeding 1.5C of global warming will hit poorest the
hardest
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-exceeding-1-5c-of-global-warming-will-hit-poorest-the-hardest>*
Dr Andrew King is a climate scientist at the University of Melbourne and
Luke Harrington is a climate scientist at the University of Oxford
Climate change is increasing the frequency of heat waves
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/study-links-heatwave-deaths-london-paris-climate-change>,
changing rainfall patterns
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-climate-change-is-already-making-droughts-worse>,
raising sea levels
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/every-five-year-delay-in-meeting-paris-goals-could-add-20cm-to-global-sea-levels>
and damaging coral reefs
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/great-barrier-reef-at-unprecedented-risk-of-collapse-after-major-bleaching-event>
through increasing bleaching events.
These effects of climate change are pervasive, so the vast majority of
the global population will be impacted in some way as the world warms.
However, these impacts will not be felt equally from one country to the
next.
Our research, published today in Geophysical Research Letters
<https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GL078430>, shows that it will be the
poorest nations who will see the biggest shifts in local climate...
- - - -
Limiting global warming would also help to reduce the barriers to
development in the poorest parts of the world. By reducing greenhouse
gas emissions more rapidly the developed world would put less of the
burden of the impacts of climate change on the developing world.
This should incentivise stronger emissions reductions globally as the
drive to eradicate absolute poverty and reduce inequality - among other
UN Sustainable Development Goals - depend heavily on limiting global
warming.
Unfortunately, the alternative - where greenhouse gas reductions are
lethargic - means a warmer world where the poorest regions pay the price
of inaction.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-exceeding-1-5c-of-global-warming-will-hit-poorest-the-hardest

[New book]
*Why you will want to give every Millennial you know this new book on
global warming?
<http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/why_you_will_want_to_quickly_give_every_millennial_you_know_this_new_book_on_global_warming>*
Job One for Humanity
There is a spellbinding new book on global warming called On Vestige Way
by David Spielman
<https://www.amazon.com/Vestige-Way-World-Federation-Novel/dp/152209315X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527718998&sr=8-1&keywords=on+vestige+way>
that just arrived at Amazon. It is an emotion-packed novel about how
global warming effects the future and fate of the world's Millennials,
generation Z, corporations and the political alliances we take for granted.
- - - - -
This book review was done by Lawrence Wollersheim the executive director
of JobOneforhumanity.org a nonprofit global warming education organization.
http://www.joboneforhumanity.org/why_you_will_want_to_quickly_give_every_millennial_you_know_this_new_book_on_global_warming

[National Geographic Book Review]
*The Extraordinary Ways Weather Has Changed Human History
<https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/05/the-extraordinary-ways-weather-has-changed-human-history/>*From
determining the outcome of wars to wholesale destruction of lives and
property, weather affects our lives in a shocking number of ways.
By Lori Cuthbert - May 30, 2018
Since the beginning of human history, we have been buffeted by weather
and climate change, sometimes to a shocking extent. And we've only just
begun to understand the whys and hows. In his new book, /Weather: An
Illustrated History
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1454921404?ie=UTF8&tag=thewaspos09-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=1454921404>/,
Andrew Revkin
<https://www.nationalgeographic.org/newsroom/award-winning-writer-andrew-revkin-joins-national-geographic-society-as-strategic-adviser-for-environmental-and-science-journalism/>,
with Lisa Mechaley, traces 4.5 billion years of weather and climate in
100 entries, from major weather events, to climate change, to the people
who started to figure out how our planet works
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/weather-forecasting/?beta=true>.
When /National Geographic /spoke to him from his home in the Hudson
Valley, New York, Revkin explained how Ben Franklin
<https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/daylight-savings-time-arizona-florida-spring-forward-science/?beta=true>
became the first storm chaser; how weather has affected the outcome of
wars
<https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/solar-storm-1967-space-weather-cold-war-science/?beta=true>;
and some of the weird ways extreme weather events can mess with us...
More at:
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/05/the-extraordinary-ways-weather-has-changed-human-history/

[Abu Dhabi newspaper - publishes book review, but fails to mention title]
[Impressed that the www.thenational.ae published this much ]
*Andreas Malm's new book warns we are heading 'into cataclysmic climate
change'
<https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/books/andreas-malm-s-new-book-warns-we-are-heading-into-cataclysmic-climate-change-1.735622>*
The situation is dire - the social philosopher pulls no punches on this
account
Paul Hockenos - May 31, 2018
As a social philosopher, it's not surprising that Andreas Malm insists
upon theory's relevance in grasping how climate change is transforming
the "human condition," a term popularised by fellow theoretician Hannah
Arendt. His endeavour is to clarify how global warming is altering the
way we think about ourselves and our world, and its implications for the
prospect of humankind's survival.

Although theory is Malm's medium, he is not an ivory tower recluse.
Ultimately, he asks how, in light of our life-threatening conundrum, we
can resist the dystopic, worst-case scenarios that intellectuals have
come to conclude are inevitable. His treatise is about the meta-fight
over how to fight climate change and, at the very least, minimise the
losses.

The situation is dire - Malm pulls no punches on this account. Most
scientists admit that halting the planet's warming to "just" 2 degrees C
is illusory. Two summers ago, the temperature in Basra hit 54 degrees C,
and this record will probably fall soon as temperatures climb. As the
top threshold rises to 3 degrees C or 5 degrees C, or even 8 degrees C,
we face a future that is much harsher and punishing than the present, or
one that is simply unliveable for many species, including our own, perhaps.

Vast portions of the earth and its natural populations, including homo
sapiens, will perish if temperatures climb to 8 degrees C. Among human
beings, those first and most affected are the global poor - those who
have contributed least to the crisis. Indeed, everything is at stake in
our battle against the impact of two centuries of burning fossil fuels.
The recent discourses around global warming and the fate of mankind have
been skewed by cynical post-modernist, system-internal observers, argues
Malm, who teaches human ecology at Lund University, Sweden.

These types, argues Malm, among them intellectuals, literati, even
activists, are incapable of imagining the defeat of the forces
responsible for our fossil-fuel addicted economies in the first place.

In fact, they chalk it all up to discourse. Then they either throw up
their arms in despair or hope against all reason that the expansion of
renewable energies alone can slow the planet's rising temperatures and
"stabilise" the earth's environment. And then there are those like
United States President Donald Trump, who want to earn a dollar from it.

The postmodern condition plays right into this court. If ours is a world
that exists only in the present, then neither the past nor the future is
relevant, just the "now".

Time is abolished, which inhibits comprehending the historical sources
of phenomena such as climate change, just as it does thinking a few
years or a generation ahead.

Nature is basically moot, too, when attention is at every moment
directed into computer and TV screens in timeless spaces. When the
external world is obscured by digital media, climate change and biocide
are easily ignored or outrightly denied.

But postmodernity, he argues is now being confronted with its
antithesis, which might prevail - or be subsumed by it. Malm calls this
"the warming condition".

The past, in terms of two centuries of fossil fuel combustion and
ruthless exploitation of nature, is roaring back onto the stage - and
into consciousness. Against the backdrop of temperatures rising across
decades, the future too is now acutely present as we strive to brake and
head off the worst consequences of climate change.

As for nature, it can no longer be shut out by the omnipresent screen.
It is making itself heard after centuries of post-Enlightenment abuse.
In contrast to post-traumatic stress disorder, the illness of our
generations is a "pre-traumatic" condition, in which people fear the
extreme future that they feel powerless to alter. "When climate change
seeps into consciousness," argues Malm, "it brings with it a realisation
that more and worse is coming."

Malm sees this new consciousness most conspicuously in the wave of
dystopian films and novels on the market. Elsewhere the reality of the
impending disaster has entered discourses and politics more slowly.

How, asks Malm, can you explain why citizens and politicos obsess on
small numbers of foreign nationals crossing nation-state borders rather
than a process that could extinguish civilisation as we know it? An
unpleasant but feasible scenario: the far right itself successfully
exploits angst about global warming just as effectively as it has migration.

Indeed, the warming condition's dislodging of post-modernity, if indeed
that happens, by no means portends a rush to the barricades to halt
global warming. Fear of the future could trigger fear that there is no
future at all.

He argues that it is entirely possible to draw the wrong conclusions
from the new zeitgeist. And there are those who do: by claiming that
mankind as such - our civilisations from the beginnings of
industrialisation - are at fault for environmental degradation.

For Malm, the agent of climate change is much more specific, namely
neo-liberal capitalism, which he argues birthed the fossil fuel industry
in the first place and continues to rely on it for the cheap energy it
needs for profit.

In fact, oil and gas are only two of nature's offerings that
industrialists since the 19th century have treated as commodities for
the sole purpose of business. They see the entire natural world solely
as something for their class to exploit and discard when finished. Malm
quotes the former CEO of ExxonMobil and former US secretary of state,
Rex Tillerson: "My philosophy is to make money. If I can drill and make
money, that's what I want to do." It could also be the maxim of the
Trump administration.

Malm, much like the Canadian globalisation critic Naomi Klein, argues
for the complete dismantlement of the fossil fuel economy - indeed its
destruction.

Why capitalism couldn't run just as well on renewable energies is
something Malm doesn't explain, at least in this book. Nevertheless,
what's called for now, he says, is a resolute demolition crew to take
down the petrochemical-addicted system.

Indeed, nothing less than revolution will save us, concludes Malm on a
militant note: "The only salubrious thing about the election of Donald
Trump is that it dispels the last lingering illusions that anything else
other than organised collective resistance has a fighting chance of
pushing the world anywhere else than headfirst, at maximum speed, into
cataclysmic climate change."
This fighting chance preludes a clear-eyed recognition of the real
adversary.
https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/books/andreas-malm-s-new-book-warns-we-are-heading-into-cataclysmic-climate-change-1.735622
- - -
[The book title is:]
*The Progress of This Storm: Nature and Society in a Warming World
(Verso Futures)
<https://www.versobooks.com/books/2575-the-progress-of-this-storm>*
Hardcover - February 13, 2018
by Andreas Malm (Author)
An attack on the idea that nature and society are impossible to
distinguish from each other
In a world careening towards climate chaos, nature is dead. It can no
longer be separated from society. Everything is a blur of hybrids, where
humans possess no exceptional agency to set them apart from dead matter.
But is it really so? In this blistering polemic and theoretical
manifesto, Andreas Malm develops a counterargument: in a warming world,
nature comes roaring back, and it is more important than ever to
distinguish between the natural and the social. Only with a unique
agency attributed to humans can resistance become conceivable.
https://www.versobooks.com/books/2575-the-progress-of-this-storm
Other reviews
https://www.amazon.com/Progress-This-Storm-Society-Warming/dp/1786634155/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1
http://climateandcapitalism.com/2018/02/19/the-progress-of-this-storm/
https://urpe.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/new-book-the-progress-of-this-storm-nature-and-society-in-a-warming-world/

[Candidates]
*Miami's condo king breaks silence on sea level rise comment: 'Maybe I
had too many drinks'
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article210857319.html#storylink=cpy>*
By Rene Rodriguez
May 31, 2018
When author Jeff Goodell approached developer Jorge Perez during a party
at the Perez Art Museum to ask him if sea level rise had changed his
approach to building, the chairman and CEO of The Related Group replied:
"In 20 or 30 years, someone is going to find a solution for this.
Besides, by that time, I'll be dead, so what does it matter?"...
Read more here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article210857319.html#storylink=cpy

*This Day in Climate History - June 2, 2008
<June%202,%202008:%20The%20New%20York%20Times%20reports:,,%22Some%20of%20the%20most%20powerful%20corporate%20leaders%20in%20America%20have%20been%20meeting%20regularly%20with%20leading%20environmental%20groups%20in%20a%20conference%20room%20in%20downtown%20Washington%20for%20over%20two%20years%20to%20work%20on%20proposals%20for%20a%20national%20policy%20to%20limit%20carbon%20emissions.,,%22The%20discussions%20have%20often%20been%20tense.%20Pinned%20on%20a%20wall,%20a%20large%20handmade%20poster%20with%20Rolling%20Stones%20lyrics%20reminds%20everyone,+%27You+can%E2%80%99t+always+get+what+you+want.%27,,%22What+unites+these+two+groups+%E2%80%94+business+executives+from+Duke+Energy,%20the%20Ford%20Motor%20Company%20and%20ConocoPhillips,+as+well+as+heads+of+environmental+organizations+like+the+Natural+Resources+Defense+Council+%E2%80%94+is+a+desire+to+deal+with+climate+change.+They+have+broken+with+much+of+corporate+America+to+declare+that+it+is+time+for+the+federal+government+to+act+and+set+mandatory+limits+on+emissions.%22,,http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/business/02trade.html?pagewanted=all>
- from D.R. Tucker*
June 2, 2008: The New York Times reports:
"Some of the most powerful corporate leaders in America have been
meeting regularly with leading environmental groups in a conference room
in downtown Washington for over two years to work on proposals for a
national policy to limit carbon emissions.
"The discussions have often been tense. Pinned on a wall, a large
handmade poster with Rolling Stones lyrics reminds everyone, 'You can’t
always get what you want.'
"What unites these two groups - business executives from Duke Energy,
the Ford Motor Company and ConocoPhillips, as well as heads of
environmental organizations like the Natural Resources Defense Council -
is a desire to deal with climate change. They have broken with much of
corporate America to declare that it is time for the federal government
to act and set mandatory limits on emissions."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/business/02trade.html?pagewanted=all

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that