[TheClimate.Vote] June 11, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jun 11 08:32:04 EDT 2018

/June 11, 2018/

[Money talks]
*Investor LGIM seeks removal of eight company chairs over climate change
inaction
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l-g-funds-climatechange/investor-lgim-seeks-removal-of-eight-company-chairs-over-climate-change-inaction-idUSKBN1J6133>*
Simon Jessop - LONDON (Reuters) -
Britain's biggest asset manager wants to remove the chairmen of the
board at eight companies worldwide, which it says have failed to
confront the threats posed by climate change.
Legal & General Investment Management, the fund arm of insurer Legal &
General (LGEN.L), has been among the most vocal asset managers on the
topic, recently writing to some of the world's top companies calling for
more action.
On Monday, it said it would vote against the chairs of China
Construction Bank (601939.SS), Dominion Energy (D.N) and Japan Post
Holdings (6178.T), as well as Occidental Petroleum (OXY.N), Rosneft Oil
(ROSN.MM) and Subaru (7270.T). The other two companies on its list were
Loblaw Companies (L.TO) and Sysco Corp (SYY.N).
As well as demanding the removal of the companies' chairmen, LGIM also
said it would sell any shares of the eight companies held in its 5
billion pounds ($6.7 billion) Future World Funds index funds range.
After spending a year engaging with 84 of the world's biggest firms over
their climate strategies, LGIM, which manages nearly 1 trillion pounds
($1.3 trillion) in assets, said some were not doing enough to prepare
for a low-carbon economy.
While some companies were "excelling", others were "failing to do the
bare minimum", with a number not even responding to requests to engage,
LGIM said.
"We're going to keep ratcheting up the minimum standards and our
expectations from the companies; it's not a finished business," said
Meryam Omi, head of sustainability and responsible investment strategy
at LGIM...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l-g-funds-climatechange/investor-lgim-seeks-removal-of-eight-company-chairs-over-climate-change-inaction-idUSKBN1J6133

[US against reality]
*Six of the G7 Commit to Climate Action. Trump Wouldn't Even Join
Conversation.
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/10062018/g7-summit-climate-change-communique-trump-allies-estranged-germany-france-canada>*
Trump skipped the formal climate discussions, had the U.S. negotiators
promote fossil fuels instead, and then renounced the group's official
communique.
- - - -
"Leaders from the other six countries didn't even try to paper over
their strong disagreements with Trump on trade, climate change and other
important issues," Meyer wrote. "They are joined by thousands of mayors,
governors, business leaders and others who are moving forward with
ambitious climate action and pursuing the tremendous economic
development and job creation benefits that clean energy technologies
provide. As communities across the U.S. confront the costly and harmful
impacts of climate change, it's these leaders - not President Trump -
who are acting in the true economic, environmental and national security
interests of the American people."
This year's G7 statement on climate change was more extensive than the
G7's 2017 communique <https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000260041.pdf>. Last
year, they included a single paragraph on climate change that stated
that the U.S. was reviewing its policies and was "not in a position to
join the consensus." The other leaders said only that they recognized
the process underway in the U.S. and that they reaffirmed their
commitment to the Paris Agreement.
"America - until now - had led on climate," Environmental Defense Fund
President Fred Krupp wrote
<https://twitter.com/fredkrupp/status/1005532156347629568?s=11>after
this week's G7 meeting. "Today our president doesn't even care enough to
be present. We all must work to restore the USA to a leadership position."
Greenpeace, meanwhile, put pressure on the other nations:"The joint
commitment to climate action forged in Paris remains at the top of the
geopolitical agenda despite the U.S. administration's repeated attempts
to demolish it," Executive Director Jennifer Morganwrote
<https://www.greenpeace.org/international/press-release/17041/g7-leaders-release-tepid-plans-for-addressing-climate-change-and-ocean-plastic-pollution-greenpeace-response/>.
"G6 leaders now have to demonstrate their commitment in practice."

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/10062018/g7-summit-climate-change-communique-trump-allies-estranged-germany-france-canada

[seven billion Hail Marys]
*Pope to oil execs: Energy needs mustn't destroy civilization
<https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-now/pope-to-oil-execs-energy-needs-mustn-t-destroy-civilization/766497446>*
Updated: Jun 9, 2018 - 6:22 PM
Facebook
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis told leading oil executives Saturday that
the transition to less-polluting energy sources "is a challenge of
epochal proportions" and warned that satisfying the world's energy needs
"must not destroy civilization."...
- - - -
The pope called for a "long-term global strategy to provide energy
security," along with "precise commitments" to tackle the challenge of
climate change.
He said it was "disturbing and a cause for real concern" that the levels
of carbon dioxide emissions and the concentrations of greenhouse gases
remain high despite commitments taken in the 2015 Paris accord to fight
global warming.
He urged participants to use their "demonstrated aptitude for
innovation" to address "two of the great needs in today's world: the
care of the poor and the environment." He noted that the poor pay the
highest price for climate change, often being forced to migrate due to
water insecurity, severe weather and an accompanying collapse in
agriculture.
"The transition to accessible and clean energy is a duty that we owe
toward millions of our brothers and sisters around the world, poor
countries and generations yet to come," the pope said.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-now/pope-to-oil-execs-energy-needs-mustn-t-destroy-civilization/766497446
- - - -
[Invitations lost in the mail?]
*The list of oil companies that met with the Pope about climate change
has some big names missing
<https://qz.com/1301539/the-list-of-oil-companies-that-met-with-pope-francis-about-climate-change-has-some-big-names-missing/>*
Those who have not yet confirmed to the media as to whether or not they
sent a representative to Francis's climate klatsch
Chevron
Total
Sinopec
PetroChina
Gazprom
Rosneft
Reliance Industries
LukOil
Phillips 66
PTT PCL
https://qz.com/1301539/the-list-of-oil-companies-that-met-with-pope-francis-about-climate-change-has-some-big-names-missing/

[Despite higher prices for water and energy]
*Rising seas could swell Arizona's population
<http://www.climatecentral.org/news/rising-seas-could-swell-arizonas-population-21862>*
climatecentral.org - Jun. 8
In decades ahead the state's draw as a new home could be boosted as seas
rise and oceans warm, forcing coastal residents to deal with fallout like...
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/rising-seas-could-swell-arizonas-population-21862

[YouTube video science and policy about water]
*Peter Gleick, Ph D Availability of Water & Sea Level Rise Saint Louis
Climate Summit 1280x720 M <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLmV_Ybbyc>*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLmV_Ybbyc>Published on Jun 7, 2018
The future of water and climate change: risks, threats, opportunities,
and a sustainable future.
*"I would like to argue that there's a positive future out there but
it's gonna require a new way of thinking**
**about water"*
A presentation by Dr. Peter Gleick at the 2018 Saint Louis Climate
Summit at St. Louis University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLmV_Ybbyc

[Video lecture from top ice scientist - very current - exasperation]
*Dr. Jason Box (@climate_ice)- Climate data for climate communicators
<https://youtu.be/05wQ9nG0IXY>*
Nick Breeze
Published on Jun 5, 2018
Dr Jason Box gives a 30 minute climate data presentation to climate
communicators at Green Culture in Montenegro, May 2018.
Clip from Transcript:

    We have now a complete inventory of global land ice and... how much
    volume of ice there is on the planet precisely.
    And how it's changing, we have a baseline. And we make conclusions,
    like in the Arctic. Greenland represents 60 percent actually.
    I see 60%, [plus] the peripheral glaciers, another six point four
    percent, so two-thirds of the Arctic sea level contribution is
    coming from Greenland.
    And Alaska and the Canadian Arctic are big players and precise
    statements like: "the last 20 years Greenland has been contributing
    twice what Antarctica has, even though Antarctica's nine times the
    volume of Greenland"
    It's averaged 280 billion tons the last 12 years. We have
    high-precision satellite gravity measurements.
    280 billion metric tons per year. Let me put that number into more
    perspective - that's equivalent with 8,000 cubic meters of ice per
    second. That's the average loss from Greenland the last 15 years.
    8,000 cubic meters per second, the loss from Greenland alone. That
    divided by all the people on earth would give...7.2 billion people
    each, 150 liters of water per day; every day of the year. That's
    about ton of water - forever equivalent [to] everyone.
    So it's still kind of an astronomical...number - the loss rate for
    Greenland.
    And then you add up the others; you add up the other contributors,
    it's equivalent to three millimeters of sea level rise per per year
    and as you'll see it's accelerated.

https://youtu.be/05wQ9nG0IXY

[Understanding climate models]
*Comparing CMIP5 & observations
<http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/comparing-cmip5-observations/>*
updated:  February 2018
This page is an ongoing effort to compare observations of global
temperature with CMIP5 simulations assessed by the IPCC 5th Assessment
Report. The first two figures below are updated versions of Figure
11.25a,b from IPCC AR5 which were originally produced in mid-2013.
The first panel shows the raw 'spaghetti' projections, with different
observational datasets in black and the different emission scenarios
(RCPs) shown in colours. The simulation data uses spatially complete
coverage of surface air temperature...
http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/comparing-cmip5-observations/

[Activism]
(((sfpelosi))) American Dreamer US
Jun 9
*Democrats, let's clean up our planet and our politics: #OilMoneyOut of
the DNC
<https://medium.com/@sfpelosi/democrats-lets-clean-up-our-planet-and-our-politics-oilmoneyout-of-the-dnc-b1102d4311ab>*
An open letter to my DNC Executive Committee colleagues
The clear and present danger to our ecology; the lead in our water from
Flint to Fresno; the alarming rates of environmental illness from asthma
to cancer - which the Trump administration is not only failing to
prevent -  but refusing to treat given their just-announced assault on
Affordable Care Act coverage of pre-existing medical conditions  -  and
the fossil fuel industry's outsized multi-multi-million dollar influence
in political PAC contributions that expect a return on investment in the
form of drilling off our coasts, desecrating and despoiling our native
lands and public parks, and rolling back fuel emission standards all
block the path to a clean energy future.

Today we can act  -  in harmony with the millions of Americans demanding
that we clean up our planet and our politics and join the hundreds of
individual Democratic political candidates for office across the country
who have pledged not to take money from the fossil fuel industry.

*DNC RESOLUTION REAFFIRMING OUR PRO-ENVIRONMENT PLATFORM, ENCOURAGING
GRASSROOTS ACTIVISM, AND REJECTING DONORS FROM THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY *
Respectfully submitted,
Christine Pelosi CA

    WHEREAS, we Democrats have the opportunity to reform and revive our
    party by empowering diverse grassroots Democrats at the leadership
    table and in our communities including building on our recent
    successes with small donor fundraising programs; and

    WHEREAS, the American people are looking to Democrats to promote
    people-powered politics in this era of resistance, revival, and
    reform but are rightly concerned that their voices are drowned out; and,

    WHEREAS, climate change caused by the burning of fossil fuels
    represents an existential threat to civilization, and Democrats
    committed in our 2016 Platform to curbing the effects of climate
    change, protecting America's natural resources, and ensuring the
    quality of our air, water, and land for current and future
    generations - then marched in the hundreds of thousands at 2017 and
    2018 Science March and Earth Day events;

    WHEREAS, in addition to President Obama's 2009 - 2016 ban on all
    corporate PAC donations to the DNC, our state parties have been
    drawing bright lines for years with respect to rejecting donations
    from various corporate interests that conflict with our Democratic
    platforms such as tobacco, payday lending, and gun manufacturers to
    perpetuate what President Obama referred to in his Farewell Address
    as our efforts to "reduce the corrosive influence of money in our
    politics, and insist on the principles of transparency and ethics in
    public service;"

    WHEREAS, fossil fuel corporations are drowning our democracy in a
    tidal wave of dark oily money; they have deceived the public about
    the impacts of climate change, fought the growth of clean renewable
    energy, and corrupted our political system;

    WHEREAS, hundreds of individual Democratic political candidates for
    office across the country have pledged not to take money from the
    fossil fuel industry;

    THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Democratic National Committee
    acts to revive trust in our Party by reaffirming our progressive,
    pro-environment 2016 Platform, encouraging grassroots donors, and
    rejecting corporate PAC contributions from the fossil fuel industry
    that conflict with our DNC Platform in order to empower Democrats to
    walk our talk in harmony with our stated beliefs and convictions

https://medium.com/@sfpelosi/democrats-lets-clean-up-our-planet-and-our-politics-oilmoneyout-of-the-dnc-b1102d4311ab

*This Day in Climate History - June 11, 1992
<http://c-spanvideo.org/program/Remarkson> - from D.R. Tucker*
June 11, 1992: In remarks prior to leaving for the United Nations
Conference on Environment and Development in Brazil, President George H.
W. Bush says the United States is leading on environmental protection
while protecting economic growth.
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/Remarkson

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that