[TheClimate.Vote] March 6, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Mar 6 10:54:01 EST 2018

/March 6, 2018 //Send email to subscribe
to daily news clippings. /

[warmer is moister]
*Heavy, Wet Snow Set to Drop on New York, Northeast Wednesday
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/heavy-wet-snow-set-to-drop-on-new-york-northeast-wednesday>*
March 6, 2018
Travel headaches loom for airports, highways along East Coast
Power outages could spread in Hudson Valley as lines fall
Late-season storms can actually do more damage to power lines than
storms that hit in the dead of winter, according to Shunondo Basu,
meteorologist and natural gas analyst for Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
The warmer air is able to hold more moisture, which brings a heavier,
wetter snow - and sleet - than the fluffy flakes that tend to fall in
January.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/heavy-wet-snow-set-to-drop-on-new-york-northeast-wednesday

[graffiti action at the Metropolitan Museum]
*Art critic tapes 'Climate Change Denier Plaza' over Koch inscription
outside the Met
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.4562549/art-critic-tapes-climate-change-denier-plaza-over-koch-inscription-outside-the-met-1.4562569>*
Jerry Saltz of New York Magazine says his act of paper-and-tape
guerrilla vandalism was a labour of love for his 'favourite museum in
the world.' Hear the interview
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/art-critic-tapes-climate-change-denier-plaza-over-koch-inscription-outside-the-met-1.4563452?autoplay=true>

    Jerry Saltz says his heart was racing when he bent over in front of
    a fountain outside New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art to
    commit an act of guerilla vandalism.
    The renowned New York Magazine art critic had just spent several
    hours enjoying the newest exhibit at his"favourite museum in the
    world" when he papered over the inscription"David H. Koch Plaza"
    with the words"Climate Change Denier Plaza."
    "I think I had hysterical blindness. I really didn't know what was
    going on around me. I was just lost for that moment," Saltz told As
    It Happens host Carol Off.
    "People started applauding and cheering, and I stood up took a
    picture of it, and bunches of people starting taking pictures of it.
    And then I was terrified and walked away and got on the subway and
    went back downtown."

Jerry Saltz, an art critic with New York Magazine, taped over the words
'David H. Koch Plaza' outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Jerry
Saltz/Twitter, )
Audio report - Listen
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/art-critic-tapes-climate-change-denier-plaza-over-koch-inscription-outside-the-met-1.4563452?autoplay=true>
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/art-critic-tapes-climate-change-denier-plaza-over-koch-inscription-outside-the-met-1.4563452?autoplay=true
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.4562549/art-critic-tapes-climate-change-denier-plaza-over-koch-inscription-outside-the-met-1.4562569
[twitter discussion]
Stropheus Art Law <https://twitter.com/stropheus/status/970662789273571328>
@GiniaNYT:"The question of what cultural institutions should do with
money offered by individuals whose beliefs are often contrary to those
of their directors and audiences is again subject of intense
discussion." Thanks to @jerrysaltz for standing up.
https://twitter.com/stropheus/status/970662789273571328

[The Guardian]
*Why what we eat is crucial to the climate change question
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/05/why-what-we-eat-is-crucial-to-the-climate-change-question>*
Our food - from what we eat to how it is grown - accounts for more
carbon emissions than transport and yet staple crops will be hit hard by
global warming...
Few consider the impacts of the food they eat, despite the fact that
globally, food systems account for roughly one quarter
<https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-environ-020411-130608>of
all manmade greenhouse gas emissions. That's more
<https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data>
than the entire transportation sector, more than all industrial
practices, and roughly the same as the production of electricity and heat...
Between 1980 and 2008,
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/333/6042/616> for instance, wheat
yields dropped 5.5 % and maize yields fell 3.8% due to rising
temperatures. Climate change threatens the food security of millions of
poor people around the world...
Just as there's no universal crop that grows everywhere, there's no "one
size fits all" model food system to implement across the world. A
broader systems-wide perspective is necessary if there is any hope for
truly transformative change. It's time to look beyond farming and
agriculture and to see the whole picture, to create systems that cause
less harm to the climate and are more resilient to the impacts we're
already suffering from global warming.
Food is a fundamental human need and to eat is a basic human right. Our
food systems must deliver that need, fairly and equitably, without
worsening the impacts of climate change.
Ruth Khasaya Oniang'o is an academic and a winner of the 2017 Africa
Food prize
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/05/why-what-we-eat-is-crucial-to-the-climate-change-question

[Report says]
*Economic Equality Is Key to Solving Climate Change, Report Shows
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-05/economic-equality-is-key-to-solving-climate-change-report-shows>*
Bloomberg
Economies need to reduce inequality and promote sustainable development
for the world to avert the perils of runaway global warming, according
to ..."Climate change is far from the only issue we as a society are
concerned about" said Joeri Rogelj, the paper's lead author and a
research scholar at the ...
"Climate change is far from the only issue we as a society are concerned
about" said Joeri Rogelj, the paper's lead author and a research scholar
at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis outside of
Vienna."We have to understand how these many goals can be achieved
simultaneously. With this study, we show the enormous value of pursuing
sustainable development for ambitious climate goals in line with the
Paris Agreement," he said...
Scientists predict higher frequencies of floods, famines and superstorms
<https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2018-02-19/climate-rulebook-likely-done-this-year-with-or-without-u-s>unless
the world keeps temperature rises well below 2 degrees Celsius (3.6
degrees Fahrenheit) this century. At the same time, growing income
inequality
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-01/america-s-wage-growth-remains-slow-and-uneven>
has been robbing advanced economies of dynamism needed to boost their
resilience to change...
Greenhouse gas emissions should peak before 2030 after which they'll
"decline rapidly" with a combination of phasing out of industry and
energy related CO2 combined with an "upscaling" carbon capture and
carbon dioxide removal, according to the report. An estimated 37 billion
metric tons of carbon dioxide was released last year, 2 percent more
than 2016, according to researchers in the Global Carbon Project.
<http://www.globalcarbonatlas.org/en/CO2-emissions>..
Jeremy Hodges with assistance by Eric Roston
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-05/economic-equality-is-key-to-solving-climate-change-report-shows

[Ethics]
*Ethical Issues Entailed by Pricing Carbon as a Policy Response to
Climate Change
<https://ethicsandclimate.org/2018/03/03/ethical-issues-with-relying-on-pricing-carbon-as-a-policy-response-to-climate-change/>*
Putting a price on carbon as a policy response to climate change has
received wide support around the world despite numerous potential
ethical issues that may arise in the use of this strategy. Although some
ethicists see some ethical problems with any carbon pricing scheme, many
ethicists support carbon pricing schemes provided the design of the
regime adequately deals with ethical issues that frequently arise in
carbon pricing regimes. The following article identifies many ethical
issues that could arise in carbon pricing regime design.  Even strong
proponents of carbon pricing need to understand these issues so that
carbon pricing regime design can minimize these potential ethical problems.
Donald A. Brown

    As we have seen carbon pricing schemes designed to reduce GHG
    emissions raise a host of ethical issues and problems.
    Although many of these ethical problems can be dealt with by the
    pricing carbon regime design, given the enormous threat to life and
    ecological systems created by human-induced climate change, perhaps
    the most important ethical issue raised by carbon pricing regime is
    whether the carbon pricing regime will be successful in reducing a
    government's GHG emissions to its fair share of safe global emissions.
    Because there is limited political support for enacting carbon
    pricing schemes with sufficient pricing levels to achieve the
    enormous reductions in GHG emissions now necessary to prevent very
    dangerous climate change, carbon pricing schemes will likely require
    policy responses in addition to carbon pricing alone.

https://ethicsandclimate.org/2018/03/03/ethical-issues-with-relying-on-pricing-carbon-as-a-policy-response-to-climate-change/

[The Guardian]
*Stop blaming 'both sides' for America's climate failures
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/mar/05/stop-blaming-both-sides-for-americas-climate-failures>*
The fault lies entirely with the GOP. Focus on fixing it, not laying
blame where it doesn't belong
*Science rejection is predominantly a conservative phenomenon*
There's cultural pressure to place the blame on 'both sides,' for
example by claiming that while conservatives reject science on climate
change and evolution, liberals reject it on the safety of GMOs and
vaccines. However, research has shown this is simply not the case
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/apr/28/can-the-republican-party-solve-its-science-denial-problem>
- Democrats and Republicans are equally likely to distrust GMOs, and
conservatives are the group that most opposes vaccines.
It's also important to remember that the Republican Party is the only
major political party
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/oct/05/the-republican-party-stands-alone-in-climate-denial>
in the world whose leaders reject the need to tackle climate change. And
their president made America the only country to reject the Paris
climate agreement
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/01/donald-trump-just-cemented-his-legacy-as-americas-worst-ever-president>.
There simply is no equivalent on the political left.
*Blame the Fox Newsification of America*
So how did America get here? Political polarization has been on the rise
in America on both sides of the political spectrum for the past four
decades. But a rating of ideology-based voting in Congress created by
Kenneth Poole and Howard Rosenthal
<https://legacy.voteview.com/political_polarization_2015.htm> found that
while Democrats are gradually becoming more liberal, Republicans in
Congress have become radically more conservative since 1980
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/02/this-astonishing-chart-shows-how-republicans-are-an-endangered-species/?utm_term=.aebf14fff49d>...
In a 2012 survey <http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2012/confirmed/>,
participants who only watched Fox News were less likely to correctly
answer questions about domestic or international events than viewers of
any other news source (NPR, Sunday political shows, The Daily Show, talk
radio, MSNBC, or CNN), or even people with no news exposure. And on the
subject of climate change, the vast majority of Fox News coverage has
been factually inaccurate
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/08/fox-news-28-percent-accurate-climate-change>.
*Focus on fixing the broken GOP*
America's climate inaction simply cannot be blamed on 'both sides.'
Democrats have proposed cap and trade legislation - a concept invented
by Republicans
<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-political-history-of-cap-and-trade-34711212/>
- to address the issue. House Democrats even passed the legislation
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jun/27/barack-obama-climate-change-bill>
before a lack of Republican support doomed it in the Senate. More
recently, Democrats have proposed revenue-neutral climate legislation in
order to appeal to small-government, free market conservatives.
President Obama took America's first comprehensive steps to tackle
climate change by joining the Paris climate accords
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/dec/14/the-paris-agreement-signals-that-deniers-have-lost-the-climate-wars>
and implementing the Clean Power Plan
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/jun/25/climate-change-carbon-emissions-president-obama-epa>
- his Republican successor revoked both.
Quite simply, the Republican Party is the problem. Some within the party
are slowly making progress in fixing it, for example in the bipartisan
Climate Solutions Caucus
<https://citizensclimatelobby.org/climate-solutions-caucus/>. But
breaking through America's climate policy gridlock may require bursting
the right-wing media bubble.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/mar/05/stop-blaming-both-sides-for-americas-climate-failures

[The Guardian]
*Ban Ki-moon: US has caused serious damage to Paris climate efforts
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/05/ban-ki-moon-us-paris-climate-agreement-withdrawal>*
Ex-UN secretary general tells the Guardian decision to withdraw hampers
global political action
Ban said he hoped Trump would take better advice."What President Trump
has been saying is politically shortsighted and scientifically based on
wrong advice; I don't know who advised him," he said.
While Europe has been seen as a champion of global climate talks and
international efforts to , Ban said he was worried this role could be
put at risk by political strife.
"I am concerned because of the divisions that are now happening within
the EU, not to mention this Brexit, and political difficulties and
issues such as refugees," he said...
He said the private sector may have to play a greater role than
previously envisaged, and he was working with the World Bank president,
Jim Yong Kim, the former UN secretary general Kofi Annan and the former
UN climate chief Christiana Figueres to address the challenge.
Despite these setbacks to climate action, Ban said he was encouraged
that China was still fully committed to reducing emissions." President
Xi Jinping clearly mentioned that China is fully onboard, understanding
that the climate is changing," Ban said of a meeting with the Chinese
leader in November...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/05/ban-ki-moon-us-paris-climate-agreement-withdrawal

[Military]*
Sea Level Rise Damaging More U.S. Bases, Former Top Military Brass Warn
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26022018/sea-level-rise-military-bases-damaged-national-security-risk-report-admirals-generals>*
The retired admirals and generals say climate change is putting key
military facilities at risk of costly damage that could knock out
critical operations for weeks.
By Neela Banerje
Despite widespread denial of climate change in the Trump administration,
led by the president himself, Defense Secretary James Mattis has said
that climate change poses risks to global stability and national
security. So far, the Pentagon has been left alone as it works on
improving the military's resilience to climate change. But the efforts
are patchy and often dependent on the priorities of installation
commanders, which can vary from base to base, national security experts
said.
A 2017 report by the federal Government Accountability Office concluded
that the military is failing to properly plan for climate change and
that bases seldom include foreseeable impacts into planning....
The new report arrives during an uptick of scrutiny into climate
change's potential impact on national security.
In November, President Trump
<https://insideclimatenews.org/tags/donald-trumphttps://insideclimatenews.org/tags/donald-trump>
signed the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2810/text>,
which included a mandate from Congress for the Pentagon to identify the
10 top sites threatened by climate change. The language was a departure
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16012018/military-climate-change-bipartisan-congress-letter-national-defense-strategy>
for the Republican-controlled Congress, which has worked for years to
halt rules and bills to address climate change. The Pentagon's list is
due by November 2018.
In January, the Pentagon issued a report
<https://climateandsecurity.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/tab-b-slvas-report-1-24-2018.pdf>
based on surveys of nearly 1,700 domestic military sites in which
respondents from about 50 percent of the installations said they face
risks from climate change.
In mid-February, the country's intelligence agencies said
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/13022018/climate-change-conflict-disasters-worldwide-threat-assessment-intelligence-agencies-refugees>
in their annual report on global threats that "the impacts of the
long-term trends toward a warming climate, more air pollution,
biodiversity loss and water scarcity are likely to fuel economic and
social discontent-and possibly upheaval-through 2018."
The new report describes the great breadth of vulnerabilities to sea
level rise, including loss of life; loss of infrastructure; loss of the
electricity to run sites, including critical cybersecurity and
communications installations; damage to equipment used in missions; loss
of training lands; and loss of transportation means and corridors.
Ways the Military Can Respond
The panel issued a series of recommendations for the military as the
risks increase, including:
     Continuously identifying infrastructure and strategic and
operational vulnerabilities and concretely addressing them.
     Integrating climate scenarios into planning.
     Using not just the most-likely scenarios in planning but also the
possibility of catastrophic failures.
     Working with local communities and international partners.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26022018/sea-level-rise-military-bases-damaged-national-security-risk-report-admirals-generals

[cognitive blindness]
*Why some conservatives are blind to climate change
<https://theconversation.com/why-some-conservatives-are-blind-to-climate-change-91549>*
Despite the strong evidence that human activities are contributing to
climate change, a small minority of the public disagrees with the
scientific consensus...
In the face of the evidence, how can we explain this division?..
When we analyzed the data, we found a pattern: Conservatives who were
less concerned about climate change were less likely to see
climate-related words than liberals who were worried about the issue.
In short, conservatives showed climate change blindness.
Now that we know people's political orientation affects their visual
attention to climate change, this raises a possible feedback loop, where
concerned liberals readily tune their attention to news headlines about
climate change and become even more concerned.
But unconcerned conservatives may be more blind to the same headlines
about climate change and therefore become more entrenched in their
disbelief.
The visual blindness can further deepen the denial of the real risks of
climate change such as flooding, hurricanes, drought and heatwaves, and
consequently a lack of action to mitigate climate change...
https://theconversation.com/why-some-conservatives-are-blind-to-climate-change-91549

[Philosophy]
*A New Human Era <http://www.newphilosopher.com/articles/a-new-human-era/>*
Earth has lost half of its wild animals in the last forty years. What
does it mean to be philosophical about this? The last time there was
this much carbon in the atmosphere, humanity didn't even exist. What
should we think or feel about this terrain we're entering: the prospect
that future generations may see those born in the late 20th century as
the last humans to know ecological innocence?
These are grim questions - and I can feel my mind sliding away from them
even as I type...
..the words of behavioural economist Dan Ariely have begun circling in
my mind: "If you were starting from scratch, and you said, 'Let me
create a problem that people would not care about', it would look very
much like global warming." There's nothing like a steady increase in
atmospheric carbon to lay bare the limitations of human cognition. The
most serious consequences of climate change are distant from their
causes in time and space; they are surrounded by uncertainty and
dissent; they are both a tremendously big deal and a wickedly complex
problem to address, let alone redress. All of which is confounding when
it comes to commanding engagement even from someone in my comfortable
position - let alone people struggling to support their families, earn a
living or survive...
What nature is poised to throw at us cannot be known in detail, but
'less liveable' may end up sounding euphemistic. 'Unliveable in parts'
might be a better description, especially if you're of the non-human
persuasion...
That which we have caused we cannot uncause, and may barely be able to
mitigate.
This may be true, but it's also a poor enticement to getting on with
mitigating. What we need for this, according to Jonathan Rowson -
British thinker and founding director of the policy organisation
Perspectiva - is a dose of simplicity sufficient to focus our minds on
action.
First, Rowson argues, there's the business of cause and effect.
Human-made climate change is driven by the burning of fossil fuels.
Finding a fast, successful way to stop burning fossil fuels is thus the
crucial question - and this means disentangling climate change both from
broader environmental concerns and their proselytising representatives.
"Moreover, as long as environmentalists are the public face of climate
change it is too easy to conveniently and unfairly dismiss a universal
moral imperative as a tribal anti-capitalist agenda. "Without a broad
appeal, and an unshackling from other ideologically-charged issues,
there's no chance of mustering the will or consensus for action.
Invoking this universal moral imperative is a matter not so much of
ethics as of sanity: of doing what is necessary within a world whose
transformation demands the participation of unlikely allies. Energy
giants and governments will need to work with activists; ethicists with
innovators; ecologists with factory-owners; rich with poor. They will
need a common language and a plan - and this means a diversity of
perspectives mobilised around a common aim. For Rowson, these
perspectives are the"seven dimensions of climate change": science, law,
money, technology, democracy, culture, and behaviour. Only an approach
literate across these domains can bring the world as it is on board -
and help make it into something it is not....
Whether you agree with the detail or not, I admire the mixed precision
and inclusiveness of this approach: define the task at hand as clearly
as possible, then cast your nets wide and deep. It's more useful than
existential foreboding, and more likely to persuade than ideological
implacability...
The thing about dread, like many of our primal emotions, is that it lets
us off the hook; it betrays our better natures. Dread is vague,
immobilising; it aches to be suppressed. It stands between us and
action, whispering that we will fail - or that we matter little in the
first place. Against this, there is in us the potency of more precisely
imagined futures; of minds not simply reflecting but also altering our
world...
Nature is the whole deal, the house and the garden, the city and the
country. It's the sole guarantor of our existence in this, the one known
corner of the universe hospitable to life. We are in it, of it, at its
mercy, and yet - whether we like it or not - in the process of altering
its course. Time to swallow fear and to ask what hard lessons the new
human era may teach.
http://www.newphilosopher.com/articles/a-new-human-era/
-
[Hug the Monster]
Philosophy for Change
*Hug the monster: own your anger and use it
<https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/hug-the-monster-own-your-anger-and-use-it/>*
As of today, I am trialling a new strategy. Instead of dissociating
myself from my inner monster, I'm going to give him a good hug. Negative
energy doesn't need to be a bad thing. Sometimes, if you have valid
reasons for feeling angry and scared, the best thing you can do is
harness those feelings and use them in a positive and creative way. This
is what it means to hug the monster.
'Hug the monster' is a technique used by U.S. Air Force trainers to
teach cadets how to handle themselves in life-and-death situations.
Journalist Bill Blakemore explains:

    The monster is your fear in a sudden crisis - as when you find
    yourself trapped in a downed plane or a burning house.
    If you freeze or panic - if you go into merely reactive "brainlock"
    - you're lost.
    But if your mind has been prepared in advance to recognize the
    psychological grip of fear, focus on it, and then transform its
    intense energy into action - sometimes even by changing it into
    anger - and by also engaging the thinking part of your brain to work
    the problem, your chances of survival go way up.

Fear and anxiety can be paralysing. The child inside us wants to duck
under the covers and wish the monster away. But if we stand our ground
and use the fear as a spur to action, we can achieve things that we
might not otherwise have been capable of. The same thing is true of
anger. As Blakemore suggests, anger can be a creative force if we are
able to channel it appropriately. The first and most important step is
to embrace the emotion and own it. Just because anger is deemed a
socially inappropriate emotion doesn't mean that we should deny it when
we feel it. We need to set limits on the way we express our anger, for
sure. But we should also acknowledge that, in many cases, anger is a
reflection of our moral disposition, and there is nothing at all wrong
with feeling righteously infuriated in the face of injustice, cruelty,
or calamitous stupidity.
Keep a grip on anger, but don't be afraid to own the emotion.
https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/hug-the-monster-own-your-anger-and-use-it/

[humor]
Climate Change Cartoons
<https://www.pinterest.com/robertkleiburg/climate-change-renewable-energy-cartoons/?lp=true>
/many to see/
https://www.pinterest.com/robertkleiburg/climate-change-renewable-energy-cartoons/?lp=true
-
[More humor]
*Cartoons and Memes That Put Climate Change in Perspective
<https://www.thoughtco.com/cartoons-and-memes-about-climate-change-2734107>*
https://www.thoughtco.com/cartoons-and-memes-about-climate-change-2734107

*This Day in Climate History - March 6, 2001
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/whitmanmemo032601.htm>
   -  from D.R. Tucker*
March 6, 2001: EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman sends a memo to
President George W. Bush urging him to demonstrate leadership on climate
change. The memo is summarily ignored.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/whitmanmemo032601.htm

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
////
////Send email to subscribe
<a%20href=%22mailto:contact at theClimate.Vote%22> to news clippings. //

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that