[TheClimate.Vote] May 8, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue May 8 10:52:40 EDT 2018

/May 8, 2018/

[facebook's latest blunder]
*Facebook partners with global warming skeptics while cracking down on
'untrustworthy' news source
<https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/facebook-partners-with-global-warming-skeptics-while-cracking-down-on-untrustworthy-news-sources-050718.html>*
ConsumerAffairs - Amy Martyn
Conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation already wields its
influence in high places, with numerous employees rotating in and out of
the Trump administration and an agenda that it brags has been embraced
by the president.
The powerful non-profit now has the ear of Facebook executives. Leaders
at the social media giant are reportedly meeting with The Heritage
Foundation as part of an audit into whether the platform's news feed
harbors an anti-conservative bias.
During Senate hearings this year, numerous Republican lawmakers grilled
CEO Mark Zuckerberg over a suspected bias that the news feed may have
against conservative news outlets. The tech site Gizmodo had reported
two years ago that former workers in Facebook's "trending topics"
department suppressed trending stories if they came from conservative
sources.
that it is agreeing to an outside audit into its suspected liberal bias.
The audit will be conducted by the Heritage Foundation, as well as
former Arizona Republican Sen. Jon Kyl, now an attorney.
- - - -
*Ranking sites by "trustworthiness"*
The foundation described Facebook's move as encouraging. "From what I've
heard, it sounds encouraging that Facebook is taking steps to evaluate
where things stand in the marketplace,"  Rob Bluey, a spokesman with the
Heritage Foundation, told Axios.
It's just one of numerous investigations that Facebook has agreed to
launch into itself recently in response to concerns about what content
gets promoted in the news feed. But its numerous policies to address
critics seem at times to conflict with one another. The site this year
has also announced plans to crack down on "fake news," or untrustworthy
news sources that spread false information.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg said last week that Facebook is now ranking news
organizations on trustworthiness, and promoting or suppressing such
organizations based on that metric, in an effort to end "polarization."
"We put [that data] into the system, and it is acting as a boost or a
suppression, and we're going to dial up the intensity of that over
time," Zuckerberg told reporters last week. "We feel like we have a
responsibility to further [break] down polarization and find common ground."
*Denying climate change*
In that case, The Heritage Foundation would seem an unlikely partner to
take part in its anti-conservative bias study. The Union of Concerned
Scientists, an advocacy group of scientists, has described the Heritage
Foundation as one of numerous organizations that spreads misinformation
about climate science, "a strategy designed to confuse the public about
global warming and delay action on climate change," they write.
The Climate Investigations Center says that the Heritage Foundation
"since its inception" has used "a variety of tactics to distort public
opinion on climate change and influence decision making in Washington."
While the Heritage Foundation says on its website that it receives
funding from donors large and small, the group has well-documented ties
with corporate donors that include the Koch brothers and ExxonMobil.
Keeping in line with the ideologies of its corporate donors, the
Heritage Foundation has for years claimed that global warming is not a
serious problem or that the science is far from settled.

David Kreutzer was a fellow at the Heritage Foundation when he wrote
that "no consensus exists that man-made emissions are the primary driver
of global warming." Kreutzer briefly worked in the Environmental
Protection Agency under Trump but resigned and returned to his former
post at the foundation last year.
*"True believers," the Heritage Foundation describes climate scientists
and environmental advocates as, "want us to accept sacrifices now-and a
poorer world-in favor of unproven policies to avert warming that may or
may not occur, and that may or may not be harmful."*
Climate scientists don't agree with that assertion, but it hasn't
stopped policies promoted by the Heritage Foundation from gaining
traction in the White house. The site Politico reported shortly after
the 2016 election that the Heritage Foundation had taken over as Trump's
"shadow" transition team, vetting resumes or working in the
administration directly. The foundation more recently touted that Trump
has embraced two-thirds of its own policy agenda.
- - - - -
Facebook's press team has not yet returned an inquiry from ConsumerAffairs.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/facebook-partners-with-global-warming-skeptics-while-cracking-down-on-untrustworthy-news-sources-050718.html

[just now]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    MONDAY, MAY 7, 2018​
CONTACT:
Pastor Harry Joseph, 5th District H.E.L.P. Association, (210) 315-7532
*​​​​​State Court Declares Bayou Bridge Pipeline's Coastal Use Permit
Illegal*
CONVENT, La. - Louisiana's 23rd Judicial District Court has ruled that
the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources(DNR) violated the Coastal
Use Guidelines when it issued Bayou Bridge Pipeline, LLC a Coastal Use
Permit, allowing the company to construct and operate a crude oil
pipeline through Louisiana's Coastal Zone. The court ruled in favor of
the Petitioners in the case, Pastor Harry Joseph, Genevieve Butler,
H.E.L.P. association, the Gulf Restoration Network, the Atchafalaya
Basinkeeper, and Bold Louisiana, who argued that the DNR illegally
failed to apply critical regulations under the Coastal Use Guidelines
and failed to meet the agency's duty as public trustee over the natural
resources of the state. The Petitioners are represented by the Tulane
Environmental Law Clinic.
- - - - -(snip)
Petitioners' attorney Elizabeth Livingston de Calderon stated, "We are
pleased for our clients that the court recognized the importance of
enforcing the mandatory public safety and environmental protection
provisions under the law."
NOTE: This court ruling is in reference to the Coastal Use Permit issued
by Louisiana Department of Natural Resources. A different lawsuit
regarding Bayou Bridge's Section 404 Permit issued by the U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers is ongoing.

[great idea!]
*California to become first U.S. state mandating solar on new homes
<https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/04/california-to-become-first-u-s-state-mandating-solar-on-new-homes/>*
The California Energy Commission is scheduled to vote Wednesday, May 9,
on new energy standards mandating most new homes have solar panels
starting in 2020.
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/04/california-to-become-first-u-s-state-mandating-solar-on-new-homes/

[just the facts]
*People Can Demand Too Much Certainty of Science
<https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-07/people-can-demand-too-much-certainty-of-science>*
Bloomberg
It's counterintuitive but true. Here's why.
Some scientists quoted in the news worried that Pruitt's new rule would
disqualify data on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, for example,...
- - - -
The focus on false positives is premised on the assumption that problems
recently uncovered inpsychology
<http://fayeflamwriter.com/researchers-show-ease-of-finding-dubious-results/>and
some areas ofmedical research
<https://www.nature.com/articles/483531a>also extend to environmental
science. In a 27-page document describing the rule, Pruitt made
reference to the so-called "replication crisis"-concerns over systematic
reviews revealing that more than half of published studiescould not be
replicated
<https://www.nature.com/news/over-half-of-psychology-studies-fail-reproducibility-test-1.18248>,
but only in those limited fields. There's no evidence so far that the
same kind of crisis affects physics, astrophysics, chemistry,
climatology and other fields.

Scientists quicklyexpressed opposition
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/04/25/this-letter-signed-by-985-scientists-explains-why-epa-chiefs-new-move-could-harm-your-health/?utm_term=.76faffe9ef25>to
Pruitt's transparency rule, arguing that he would use it as an excuse to
roll back regulation critical for protecting public health. It wasn't
clear from Pruitt's proposal whether the transparency was supposed to
apply only to future regulations, or whether it would allow him to
change existing ones.
UCLA statistics and epidemiology professor Sander Greenland helped me
consider the importance of false negatives. He said that the tendency to
produce false positives or negatives varies from one field to another,
and may depend on the incentives faced by researchers.,,
- - - - -
The scientists who've objected to Pruitt's proposed rule are right to
worry. The rule is vaguely worded and premised on assumptions and
innuendo. It's all aimed at an alleged problem with false positive
results - but Pruitt hasn't supplied any direct evidence that there's a
proliferation of false positives in environmental science, or that such
false results are causing any harm.
Pruitt's rule could go into effect after a 30-day comment period, though
the Washington Postreports
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/04/24/pruitt-to-unveil-controversial-transparency-rule-limiting-what-research-epa-can-use/?utm_term=.68aafef28b1a>that
it could face opposition in court. Pruitt is promoting "Transparency in
Regulatory Science" as a way to avoid regulations based on weak or
flawed evidence. But the rule itself is based on an alleged problem for
which there's no solid evidence at all.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-07/people-can-demand-too-much-certainty-of-science

[Friends of the Court]
*Three Democratic AGs File Brief in Support of California Climate Suits
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/05/07/three-democratic-ags-file-brief-support-california-climate-suits/>*
By Jennifer Dorroh
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has jumped into the fight to
hold oil companies accountable for climate change, although not with a
state investigation as many climate activists had hoped. Instead, he's
supporting the lawsuits by two California cities against the oil
industry in federal court.
Becerra filed an amicus brief last week supporting San Francisco and
Oakland in their suit against a group of oil companies in U.S. District
Court for the Northern District of California. It was also signed by
Democratic attorneys general Gurbir Grewal of New Jersey and Robert
Ferguson of Washington.

The friend-of-the-court brief counters a recent filing by 15 Republican
state attorneys general urging the court to dismiss the cases. The
Democratic AGs said that brief and the oil companies' motion for
dismissal, "tell a one-sided story of unbounded endorsement of
extraction and consumption of fossil fuels by California and the federal
government."
"Defendants do not, of course, point to any laws that explicitly
authorize them to market fossil fuels while intentionally concealing
their knowledge about the harms from those fuels, which is conduct the
Plaintiffs complain of," they said.

The briefs were filed ahead of a May 24 hearing on Exxon's motion to
dismiss. The Democratic AGs also weighed in on the jurisdictional
battle, supporting the cities and their supporters' argument that the
suits should be tried in state court. Although, Judge William Alsup had
already ruled against sending the case back to state court, the cities
believe state law is more favorable to their claims and previous federal
cases have set precedent in favor of the industry.
Alsup wrote in his decision to place them in federal court: "Taking the
complaints at face value, the scope of the worldwide predicament demands
the most comprehensive view available, which in our American court
system means our federal courts and our federal common law."..
More at:
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/05/07/three-democratic-ags-file-brief-support-california-climate-suits/

[behavior influences everything]
*With Schneiderman Resignation, Exxon Climate Investigation Loses a
Leader
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/05/08/eric-schneiderman-resign-exxon-climate/>*
*By Jennifer Dorroh*
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who launched the first
state-level climate investigation of Exxon, resigned Monday night after
an article in The New Yorker
<https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse> revealed
that four women had accused him of assault. What his resignation may
mean for New York's investigation into possible fraud by Exxon is not
yet clear.
"It's been my great honor and privilege to serve as Attorney General for
the people of the State of New York. In the last several hours, serious
allegations, which I strongly contest, have been made against me. While
these allegations are unrelated to my professional conduct or the
operations of the office, they will effectively prevent me from leading
the office's work at this critical time. I therefore resign my office,
effective at the close of business on May 8, 2018," he saidin a
statement
<https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/statement-attorney-general-eric-t-schneiderman>.
The movement to hold oil companies accountable for sea level rise and
other impacts from climate change lost a powerfully placed advocate.
Schneiderman launched his investigation in 2015 with a subpoena seeking
40 years of records of Exxon's climate research. Since then, he has been
tenacious in countering Exxon's legal moves to thwart his investigation,
  and continued his pursuit of what the oil giant knew about climate
change while simultaneously expressing doubt about climate change
science to shareholders and the public.
After a U.S. District Court dismissed a suit Exxon pursued against him,
Schneidermansaid in a statement