[TheClimate.Vote] November 4, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Nov 4 09:52:52 EST 2018

/November 4, 2018/

[pleasant vote message]
*Samantha Bee's Soothing Vistas Voter Guide | Fuller Frontaler on TBS
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2pxOoenAqM>*
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Published on Nov 2, 2018
We know you're sick of hearing about the midterms, but there are some
things you still need to know. So sit back and enjoy these soothing
images while Sam gives you the lowdown on voting day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2pxOoenAqM

[back to 1959]
*Burning trees for fuel gets U.S. nod
<http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/nov/02/burning-trees-for-fuel-gets-u-s-nod-201/>*
Some scientists call idea terrible
By JENNIFER A. DLOUHY - BLOOMBERG NEWS - Posted: November 2, 2018
President Donald Trump's administration endorsed Thursday burning trees
and other biomass to produce energy, vowing to promote a practice some
scientists have declared more environmentally devastating than
coal-fired power.
The Environmental Protection Agency joined the departments of Energy and
Agriculture in a letter to congressional leaders committing to
"encourage the use of biomass as an energy solution." The EPA also
reasserted its view that power plants burning trees and other woody
materials to generate electricity should be viewed as carbon neutral,
because when the plants eventually regrow they remove carbon dioxide
from the air.
- - -
The EPA's own science advisers also warned that assuming biomass
emissions are carbon neutral "is inconsistent with the underlying science."
- - -
The approach could be good news for timber companies and firms that
pelletize wood for power plants, such as Enviva Partners. The American
Forest and Paper Association said the administration was ending "seven
years of policy uncertainty" that "jeopardizes our companies' ability to
invest in biomass and build and upgrade their facilities."

The EPA also has proposed giving utilities credit for cutting carbon
dioxide emissions when they replace some coal in power plants with
biomass. That kind of substitution would qualify as an efficiency
upgrade under the EPA's proposal to relax Clean Power Plan curbs on
greenhouse gas emissions from electricity.

Shifting to biomass increases carbon dioxide emissions "in nearly every
scenario," the Natural Resources Defense Council, Clean Air Task Force
and seven other environmental groups said in comments filed on the plan
this week.
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/nov/02/burning-trees-for-fuel-gets-u-s-nod-201/

[Sports Hero talks Climate Change]
[Brent Suter is a starting pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers.]
*Fighting climate change should make Americans come together to find
solutions
<https://www.fastcompany.com/90259916/fighting-climate-change-should-make-americans-come-together>*
BY BRENT SUTER - 10.31.18
Baseball is America's pastime. It's part of our identity and our
culture. Americans love the sport, and the national camaraderie the
comes with it, while rooting for their favorite team. That's why I was
proud to pitch for the 2018 National League Central Division Champion
Milwaukee Brewers this year. I saw how my city of Milwaukee came
together to cheer us on towards our goal of the World Series. And while
we lost our bid for the series, there's a bigger test ahead for us. It
requires that we come together, just like we do with sports, to address
the very real threats from climate change.

These threats are impacting every community, including mine. In playing
for the Milwaukee Brewers, I represent a city with a strong heritage in
the beer industry. But get this, climate change is now going to impact
beer as well. Recently, a new study noted that drought, heatwaves, and
extreme weather associated with climate change will drastically reduce
crop yields of barley, a key ingredient in beer. This is going to double
the price of beer for consumers and have a huge impact on my city's beer
industry. But this isn't the only climate change impact that Milwaukee
and Wisconsin are facing. Flooding is on the rise throughout our entire
state due to torrential rains, threatening our neighborhoods and
infrastructure.

These threats are becoming more frequent and formidable for all of
America, not just Milwaukee. Earlier this month, the UN
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned that we've got only 12
years to avert total climate catastrophe. And each week, it seems, new
scientific and economic reports highlight the growing threats to
industries and regions from climate change. Amidst these dire reports,
communities around the country continue to bear the brunt of climate
change in the form of hurricanes, storm surges, wild fires, and flooding.

That's why we can't keep kicking the climate action can down the road.
We need to come together to acknowledge climate change and work together
to take real action. While we know that the earth's climate is always in
flux, we also know that the excessive use of fossil fuels is making the
climate change at a faster and faster rate that harms our way of life
and negatively impacts our health, our economy, and our security.
Reducing our overall energy use, making everything more energy
efficient, and transitioning to renewable energy, then, are necessary
steps for us to take.

The low-hanging fruit on this front would be to first get electric and
gas utilities to work together, with our states and local communities,
to transition to lower-carbon power. That's a no-brainer. And then let's
electrify everything, from our buildings to our cars, so they can be