[TheClimate.Vote] November 17, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 17 09:43:09 EST 2018

/November 17, 2018/

[Audio podcast]
*CALIFORNIA IS BURNING -- HERE'S WHY
<https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/11/16/while-some-states-are-still-counting-ballots-california-is-burning/>*
NOVEMBER 16, 2018 - JEFF SCHECHTMAN
California forests have long been a disaster waiting to happen. Forest
density, antiquated forest practices, stressed and dead trees as a
result of bug infestation, conflicts between state and federal
government, and private property owners wanting to live close to the
"wildland-urban interface" are just a few of the problems.

In this week's WhoWhatWhy podcast, we talk with longtime California
environmental reporter, Julie Cart, about just how bad the problem is
and what is being done to prevent more death and destruction.
She explains that a full 30 percent of California is forested. Of this
total, 60 percent is owned by the federal government, 2 percent by the
state of California, and the rest is owned either privately or by local
governments. Each has a different approach to dealing with the problem.

California has an estimated 129 million dead trees, an acknowledged
factor in spreading wildfires, Cart says. The cost for removing a single
dead tree is approximately $1,000, and the optics of cutting down trees,
even dead ones, in a state with strong environmental rules make
remediation even more difficult.

The impact of climate change on forest fires involves a deadly feedback
loop. So many of the fires are a direct result of extended drought
related to climate change. But in torching so many dead trees, a severe
fire season of one or two months can release enormous amounts of carbon
into the air -- more than that emitted by all the cars in California
each year -- which significantly adds to the buildup of greenhouse gases
fueling climate change...
https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/11/16/while-some-states-are-still-counting-ballots-california-is-burning/

[VOX - Book review]
*Climate change policy can be overwhelming. Here's a guide to the
policies that work.
<https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/16/18096352/climate-change-clean-energy-policies-guide>*
A new book from veteran energy analyst Hal Harvey simplifies
decarbonization.
By David Roberts - Nov 16, 2018
Climate change is such a large and sprawling problem -- there are so
many forces involved, so many decision makers at so many levels -- that
solving it can seem hopelessly complex. There are so many options
available to policymakers, each with their own fierce constituencies.
Where to begin? Which clean-energy policies actually work?

That is the question Hal Harvey, long-time energy analyst and CEO of the
energy policy firm Energy Innovation, set out to answer with a new tool.

The tool is the Energy Policy Simulator, which allows anyone to choose a
package of energy policies and immediately see the impact on carbon
emissions and other pollutants. (It's like a video game for energy
nerds.) It's based on a model that attempts to replicate the physical
economy, with detailed information about real-world assets.

Designing Climate Solutions Energy Innovation
Using that tool, Harvey and his team narrowed in on the policies that
work, the places they work best, and the best way to design them. Their
conclusions are summarized in a new book, Designing Climate Solutions: A
Policy Guide for Low-Carbon Energy. It's a compact but detailed how-to
guide for developing energy policies that have real impact...

    Here's the thing about the Drawdown book: It's a technology book,
    not a policy book. And it's geographically indifferent -- it doesn't
    say you have to do this in the top 20 countries, or anywhere. It
    doesn't mention policy, it doesn't mention geography -- and without
    those two things, it's not a plan. I think it's a good contribution
    to the world, but it doesn't tell anyone what to do on Monday morning.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/16/18096352/climate-change-clean-energy-policies-guide
[the miniature version of the book online here]
POLICY DESIGN TO WIN ON CLIMATE
https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Climate-Solutions-Policy-Low-Carbon/dp/1610919564
Significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions are necessary to
limit climate change and stay under two degrees of warming, and
immediate action is needed to put the world on a path to a reasonable
climate future. The mounting evidence of potential damage from climate
change is daunting, and with each day that passes the challenge ahead
becomes more difficult.
Designing Climate Solutions: A Policy Guide for Low-Carbon Energy
<https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Climate-Solutions-Policy-Low-Carbon/dp/1610919564>
is the first such resource, combining the latest research and analysis
on low-carbon energy solutions from electric vehicles to renewable
energy. It is the first book to identify which specific policies,
applied to the top 20 most-emitting countries, can have the largest
potential impact to reduce emissions enough for a 50% chance of keeping
global warming to a safe level.
https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Climate-Solutions-Policy-Low-Carbon/dp/1610919564

[Anticipatory grief]
*As climate change accelerates, "ecological grief" becomes catalyst for
action
<https://www.press-citizen.com/story/opinion/contributors/writers-group/2018/11/16/we-must-take-steps-reduce-damage-our-planet/2021514002/>*
Terri Macey, Writers Group
How can we know something so dangerous is happening and yet take no
significant steps to prevent or mitigate it?
Recently some authors, in journals as reputable as "Science" and
"Nature" have begun talking about "ecological grief", defined as a
profound sense of sadness created by the losses in the natural world. As
we experience a changing climate and a changing world that affect our
lives in both small and profound ways, grief and anxiety are normal
reactions. Grief is a rational reaction to loss. Yet failure to
acknowledge this sense of loss, and the profound emotional and mental
pain it creates, leaves us feeling alone and isolated. We are paralyzed
by the knowledge that the world as we know it is ending. Our refusal to
acknowledge this leaves us powerless to cope. We try to ignore the
irrefutable evidence that confronts us and pretend it isn't happening,

One of the consequences of ignoring our grief is to throw up our hands
in despair and to double down on global destruction. This is the
rationale behind the current administration's efforts to roll back
ambitious targets for fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
The administration publicly concluded that since we are locked into
catastrophic climate change, the benefits of increased fuel economy are
not worth pursuing.

To acknowledge grief is to feel pain. It is easier to bury our heads in
the sand and pretend that catastrophic climate change isn't happening.
In addition, we may feel we will be mocked for acknowledging our pain. I
know in my own case I am reluctant to admit how often I lose sleep
knowing that I will not be able to protect my children from the horrific
consequences of climate change. I am their mother; my duty is to protect
them, and yet I can't. I am embarrassed by how often I am moved to tears
knowing that animals are suffering and dying as a result of climate
changes they cannot adapt to.

But writers as respected as Aldo Leopold have acknowledged this grief.
Leopold wrote that ecological awareness means you "live alone in a world
of wounds".  A recent article in an environmental journal, in which the
author described his grief over the loss of the world he knew, earned
derision by some. Yet one response said that acknowledging  deep pain
does not make you a snowflake; it makes you a badass. Only by
courageously and openly acknowledging our deep sense of loss and grief
will we be able to move past the pain and take the steps necessary to
reduce the damage to our lovely planet.

Terri Macey is a retired faculty member in the Psychology Department at
the University of Colorado at Boulder and a member of the Iowa City
Climate Advocates.
https://www.press-citizen.com/story/opinion/contributors/writers-group/2018/11/16/we-must-take-steps-reduce-damage-our-planet/2021514002/

[lawsuits]
*AS CALIFORNIA BURNS, TRUMP ADMINISTRATION BATTLES CLIMATE LAWSUIT
<https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/11/16/as-california-burns-trump-administration-battles-climate-lawsuit/>*
NOVEMBER 16, 2018 | CHRIS GRAY
As both ends of California burn in one of the deadliest fire seasons on
record, the Trump administration is in court stymying an interesting
approach to fighting climate change.
The Camp Fire roared through the northern town of Paradise, killing at
least 63 people, while the Woolsey fire in Malibu torched the estates of
the rich and famous, from Miley Cyrus and Shannen Doherty to Neil Young.

But in the stuffy halls of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San
Francisco, federal judges deliberate on yet another attempt from the
Trump administration to thwart a trial that could lay bare the
government's posture toward our environment.
The case, Juliana v. United States, has been stalled repeatedly by the
federal government with a series of motions that have taken it all the
way to the Supreme Court.
Twenty-one young people between the ages of 10 and 22 are the plaintiffs
in the suit, including Kelsey Juliana, a student at the University of
Oregon.
"Climate change is the biggest threat to our earth, and our government
is failing us," said Avery McRae, an 8th grader in Eugene, OR, and one
of the plaintiffs with Our Children's Trust, an Oregon nonprofit.
Philip Gregory, an attorney for the plaintiffs, has likened their case
to Brown v. Board of Education, the landmark 9–0 Supreme Court ruling in
1954 that struck down segregation in public schools.

"The finding in Brown was that children were being harmed due to
'separate but unequal' rulings like Plessy v. Ferguson," Gregory said.
"When a policy is causing harm to children as the result of aggregate
acts of the government, that policy is unconstitutional. That is exactly
our case. The government has not introduced any evidence that the
plaintiffs are not being harmed by climate change."

*US Government Knew of the Harm -- for Decades*
Gregory says that the federal government had evidence as far back as the
Eisenhower and Johnson administrations that carbon dioxide was
increasing rapidly in the atmosphere. Those findings made eerily
accurate predictions on carbon levels in the atmosphere in 2000, and the
related increase in the global world temperature...
- - -
"It could take a week or two. It could take seven months" to get a
decision from the 9th Circuit, said Gregory. Plaintiffs are asking for a
court-ordered plan to bind public officials to move the energy system
away from the burning of fossil fuels, to sequester carbon currently in
the atmosphere, and to reduce its carbon dioxide content to 350 parts
per million. They argue that the government has taken affirmative
actions over past decades to accelerate climate change.

"They didn't want a trial that will show what they knew and what we can
do about it," said Coreal Riday-White, the community engagement director
for Our Children's Trust.

Our Children's Trust has provided a template for legal action on behalf
of youth demanding a sustainable climate, and their efforts have been
replicated around the world and in state courts across the nation.

The Trump administration has scrapped even the tepid, incremental
changes President Barack Obama made toward reducing US reliance on
fossil fuels. Trump ripped up the nation's agreement with world partners
in the Paris climate accords, revved up fossil fuel exploration on
public lands, and attempted to scrap automobile fuel-economy standards.

Last week, a district court judge in Montana blocked the construction of
the Keystone XL oil pipeline across the Great Plains, ruling that the
Trump administration had greenlighted the controversial pipeline without
"a hard look" at the effects it would have on climate change.

The court system represents a different avenue toward forcing the
government to mitigate or reverse human-caused climate change, one that
rests on centuries of Public Trust law and the 5th and 14th amendments
to the US Constitution.

University of Oregon environmental law professor Mary Wood said that our
air, water, and wildlife are held in trust by the government, which is
under legal obligation to protect them. "The government has a fiduciary
responsibility to protect these resources," Wood said.

But the liberal Warren Court that ordered the desegregation of schools
in Brown v. Board of Education is long gone, and the Supreme Court has
moved far to the right over the past 40 years, capped by the recent
replacement of "swing vote" Justice Anthony Kennedy with Justice Brett
Kavanaugh. A district court trial, if finally allowed to proceed, would
be but a first step in a long and uncertain road toward putting a
court-ordered plan in place.

"This case has always faced the difficult prospect of eventual review by
the Supreme Court. But there is no question that Justice Kavanaugh is
less likely to rule in favor of plaintiffs than Justice Kennedy," said
Michael Burger, the executive director of the Sabin Center for Climate
Change Law at Columbia University.

"It is worth noting," Burger added, "that Justice Kennedy, in his
decision to deny an earlier DOJ petition to the Supreme Court in this
case, made clear that he thought the plaintiffs' claims are 'breathtaking.'"
https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/11/16/as-california-burns-trump-administration-battles-climate-lawsuit/

[need to get a better microphone]
*Kevin Anderson climate talk <https://youtu.be/fsrrzK9qNxM>*
Friends of the Earth Scotland
Published on Oct 31, 2018
Public talk by Professor Kevin Anderson in Edinburgh 30/10/18. (poor
audio quality)
Kevin discusses the implications of the recent United Nations IPCC
climate report and Scotland's responsibility in tackling climate change.
https://youtu.be/fsrrzK9qNxM

*This Day in Climate History - November 17, 2006
<http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15814614/ns/msnbc-countdown_with_keith_olbermann/t/worst-person-world-sen-james-inhofe/>
- from D.R. Tucker*
November 17, 2006: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann calls out Oklahoma Senator
James Inhofe for simultaneously trafficking in climate denial and blasphemy:

    "But our winner, Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma, who until January
    will remain the chairman of the Senate Committee on the Environment
    and Public Works.  This morning he declared that any global warming
    is owed to 'natural causes' and is 'due to the sun.'

    'God’s still up there,' he added.

    "So, Senator, you’re blaming global warming on God?

    "Senator James 'Is it just me or is it hot in here' Inhofe, Friday’s
    'Worst Person in the World.'"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15814614/ns/msnbc-countdown_with_keith_olbermann/t/worst-person-world-sen-james-inhofe/