[TheClimate.Vote] November 25, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Nov 25 11:14:38 EST 2018

/November 25, 2018/

[audio NPR - Katherine Hayhoe's conclusion]
*New Climate Change Report Places Blame On Human Actions For Natural
Disasters
<https://www.npr.org/2018/11/24/670513629/new-climate-change-report-places-blame-on-human-actions-for-natural-disasters>*

November 24, 2018 Heard on Weekend Edition Saturday
NPR's Scott Simon speaks with Katherine Hayhoe of the Climate Science
Center at Texas Tech University about a new report showing that recent
extreme natural events are due to climate change...

    SIMON: Is there something that gives you hope?

    HAYHOE: *I absolutely have to look for hope because without hope
    we're going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom. And I
    don't find that hope in the science.* Every new study that comes out
    says that climate is changing faster or to a greater extent than we
    thought it seems. But I find hope in looking at what people are
    doing because people are acting. There are incredible things
    happening, from kids growing algae biofuels under their beds and
    winning science fair projects, to big companies like Walmart and
    Apple going with clean, renewable power over fossil fuels. The world
    is changing, and by sharing these stories of hope, we too can have
    hope, and that's how we're going to fix this thing.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/24/670513629/new-climate-change-report-places-blame-on-human-actions-for-natural-disasters

[VOX written summary]
*3 big takeaways from the major new US climate report
<https://www.vox.com/2018/11/24/18109883/climate-report-2018-national-assessment>*
Climate change is here, it's expensive, and it's deadly, according to a
dire new report.
By Umair Irfan  Nov 24, 2018
Federal scientists have once again contradicted the White House in major
new climate change assessment that was inauspiciously rushed to release
the Friday after Thanksgiving. Their findings, however, should give even
the Trump administration pause: Global warming could cause more harm to
the US economy by 2100 than even the Great Recession did.

And the risks aren't just down the road. The 1,600-page report directly
connects climate change to ongoing issues like declining water levels in
the Colorado River Basin and the spread of ticks carrying Lyme disease,
phenomena that are currently costing Americans resources and lives.

"The impacts and costs of climate change are already being felt in the
United States, and changes in the likelihood or severity of some recent
extreme weather events can now be attributed with increasingly higher
confidence to human-caused warming," according to the new the report,
the second volume of the fourth National Climate Assessment.
more at:
https://www.vox.com/2018/11/24/18109883/climate-report-2018-national-assessment

[an excellent CBS 10 minute video summary - must see]
*Report reveals dire consequences of climate change
<https://youtu.be/jt-2UxrjngM>*
CBS News
Published on Nov 23, 2018
A government report released Friday reveals the dire consequences of
climate change. Jeff Berardelli, a CBS News climate and weather
contributor, joined CBSN to discuss the report's findings.
https://youtu.be/jt-2UxrjngM
- - -
[PBS News Hour - 8 minutes]
*'It's happening, it's now,' says U.S. government report on climate
change <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KigiiaieE>*
PBS NewsHour - Published on Nov 23, 2018
On Friday, the federal government released its most dramatic report yet
on the effects of climate change. According to scientists, the country
is already experiencing serious consequences from rising global
temperatures, including more frequent and severe storms, fires and
flooding. John Yang talks to Michael Oppenheimer, professor of
geosciences and international affairs at Princeton University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KigiiaieE

[Some real math lessons]
*The Mathematics of Climate Change
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4O4jK-lZrI>*
Gresham College - Published on Nov 22, 2018
Climate change is controversial and the subject of huge debate. Complex
climate models based on maths helps us understand. How do these models work?
A lecture by Chris Budd OBE, Gresham Professor of Geometry 13 November 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4O4jK-lZrI

[from Peter Sinclair]
*Talking and Teaching about Climate
<https://climatecrocks.com/2018/11/23/talking-and-teaching-about-climate/>*
November 23, 2018
from Yale Climate Connections:
<https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2018/11/focus-on-those-with-an-open-mind/>
A confession. That cartoon where someone is hunched over the computer,
unable to tear away from furious typing, because someone is wrong on the
internet? That was me. Or at least it used to be.

As a lifelong scientist and educator, I simply could not let stand an
idle comment about volcanoes emitting more CO2 than humans. Allowing
misinformation to just sit there - uncorrected - was too much to bear.
(And did you know that it would take three Mt. St. Helens eruptions plus
one Mt. Pinatubo eruption every day to keep up with human emissions?
See? I can't help myself.)

I've since calmed down a bit and learned to be more strategic in my
climate change debunking efforts. In the age of bots, trolls, and
sycophants, one has to pace oneself.

*The spectrum of 'persuadability'*
After several years of reading, responding to, and cataloging the
discourse around climate change, I now see a pattern becoming clear: Not
every person offering pushback is doing so for the same reason. Sure,
some people are itching for a fight, but myriad others have genuine
questions, hold only tentative beliefs, or are in-sync with the
mainstream science but not inclined to do anything about it. Gauging
someone else's underlying position can help focus one's attention on
whether - and how - to engage.

*Uninformed but idle: Best bang for the buck? Motivate like-minded peers.*
It's a given that a certain fraction of the public will not change their
minds, regardless of how much evidence piles up. A more productive angle
is to engage those who are less certain - the three groups on the left
side of the spectrum, between 9 and 12 o'clock.

"For climate communicators, the 'informed but idle' is arguably the most
important group," says Skeptical Science founder John Cook, now a
research assistant professor at George Mason University's Center for
Climate Change Communication. "Pollsshow 51 percent of the U.S.
population is alarmed or concerned about climate change, but most of
them don't talk about climate change with their friends and family,"
Cook says. Give-and-take exchanges can make better headway when they
simply skip the flame wars and serve as a sharing of views between
peers. "Activating and empowering these groups is one of the most
productive things we can do to achieve social momentum on climate
change," Cook says.

Scott Mandia, who teaches climate science and meteorology at Suffolk
County Community College in New York, is a champion for science
communication and a co-founder of the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund
to help scientists contend with organized efforts to undermine their work.

Mandia builds on Cook's idea: "A majority of Americans are on board with
climate change or are willing to move in that direction," he says. "The
key is to show them that urgency is needed because climate change is
impacting us now. It is not only in the future."

*Uninformed: Reach out to the uninformed.*
Despite years of efforts to inform the public about climate change, some
people still don't care enough to come to grips with the issue. Those
are people climate change communicator Susan Joy Hassol would love to reach.

The head of the climate change outreach effort Climate Communication, a
nonprofit that helps climate scientists broaden their audiences and
engage them in the issue, Hassol helps scientists refine their messaging
on climate change.

"Rather than trying to get people to care about what you think is
important, identify what is important to them," advises Hassol. "Show
them how climate change is affecting those things, here and now."

Hassol offers some examples, such as, "giving their kids the same
benefits we had growing up (like cold-water trout fishing or skiing), or
the economic vitality of their beach town, or whatever it is they care
about."

Numerous public opinion surveys have found that environmental issues
rank low among many people's priorities, which means they're not the
best motivator in the first place. Mandia's advice: "Frame the
conversation as a human issue and not an environmental issue. I use
words such as choice and opportunity to frame the discussion as hopeful
and not dismal." Mandia points out that peoples' health, their kids, and
their wallets are more likely to resonate than "to show another polar
bear or to paint the future as Mad Max."

While much news about the climate is discouraging, optimism still has a
productive role to play. "Climate change … offers opportunities,
especially if we act now," Mandia says. "The U.S. can dominate various
new energy technologies only if we embrace them now and with support of
the population and our leaders."

*Misinformed: Correct misinformation…politely.*
There may be no shortage of those deliberately spreading false
information, but others may have unwittingly latched onto information
that is simply incorrect. An easy way to tell the difference is to open
the dialog with a question.

"Good communication is a conversation, rather than a lecture," Hassol says.

But be careful not to turn an opportunity to share good information into
a needless fight. Acknowledge the value of the person's concerns, then
offer a friendly, down-to-earth answer. Kudos for a response that
revolves around a topic of real interest to your audience.

Hassol has advice on how to avoid preachiness when talking about climate
change: "Seek out their questions and respond to them directly. If
you're answering their questions, they will be listening. I often find
the 'uninformed' have basic questions about what is causing warming and
how we know for sure that it's human-induced."

After laying some careful groundwork, Hassol explains, it may be
possible to venture into more complex terrain. "Once I answer those
questions, they often ask, 'Why didn't I know this?' which opens the
door for a discussion of the disinformation campaign that is intended to
confuse and sow doubt."

In many conversations - whether online or face-to-face - bystanders may
be observing the interplay. Not only are they listening to the content
of the conversation, but also to the tone and the way people conduct
themselves. Respectful, fact-based dialog may lead to a positive outcome
for those on the edges of the conversation.

*Ideologue: Avoid trolls. Take a 'side door' with ideologues.*
Some people are resolutely immovable, but they may also take pleasure in
hurling insults for each response they hear. That's a troll's raison
d'etre. The way to deal with trolls is simple: ignore them and deprive
them the attention they crave.

"For 'party-line followers' and 'ideologues,'" suggests Hassol, "rather
than banging your head against a locked front door by starting out
talking about global warming, use a side door, such as talking about the
multiple benefits of clean energy, like jobs and economic growth."

"Remember, the atmosphere doesn't care what people believe, it responds
to emissions," Hassol adds.

Mandia uses a similar strategy. "It may sound crazy coming from a
scientist, but 'more science' is likely not going to help," he says. "I
always look for ways to pivot to solutions and values - [that's] where
the debate should be."

Cook acknowledges the allure of taking on hard-core contrarians:
"Whenever I give talks, the most frequent question is 'How do you change
a denier's mind?' I answer that our limited time and energy are better
spent convincing the undecided majority, or activating the convinced."

Despite the urge to go head-on with an ideologue, doing so may cause
more harm than good. "The odds of convincing someone who rejects the
science of climate change are very slim - we can expend a great deal of
energy which will most likely result in the person's doubling down on
their science denial," Cook says.

*Be yourself*
An unfortunate consequence of our divisive political climate is the
portrayal of an immovable chasm between people on opposite sides of
issues. While that's certainly true in some cases, there is middle
ground to be worked. Those keen to help move the needle of public
opinion and engagement on climate change should look first toward peers
and those who are open to change but not yet involved in the issue.
"Be yourself. Your peer group respects your values," advises Mandia.
"Make it personal."
https://climatecrocks.com/2018/11/23/talking-and-teaching-about-climate/

*This Day in Climate History - November 25, 2006
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401361_pf.html>
- from D.R. Tucker*
November 25, 2006: The Washington Post reports:

    "While the political debate over global warming continues, top
    executives at many of the nation's largest energy companies have
    accepted the scientific consensus about climate change and see
    federal regulation to cut greenhouse gas emissions as inevitable.

    "The Democratic takeover of Congress makes it more likely that the
    federal government will attempt to regulate emissions. The companies
    have been hiring new lobbyists who they hope can help fashion a
    national approach that would avert a patchwork of state plans now in
    the works. They are also working to change some company practices in
    anticipation of the regulation."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401361_pf.html