[TheClimate.Vote] November 27, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Nov 27 11:29:26 EST 2018

/November 27, 2018/

[a break-down break-through, proof of concept, not operational]
*Light-activated, single-ion catalyst breaks down carbon dioxide
<https://phys.org/news/2018-11-light-activated-single-ion-catalyst-carbon-dioxide.html>*
November 26, 2018, Brookhaven National Laboratory
A team of scientists has discovered a single-site,
visible-light-activated catalyst that converts carbon dioxide (CO2) into
"building block" molecules that could be used for creating useful
chemicals. The discovery opens the possibility of using sunlight to turn
a greenhouse gas into hydrocarbon fuels.

The scientists used the National Synchrotron Light Source II, a U.S.
Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility at Brookhaven
National Laboratory, to uncover details of the efficient reaction, which
used a single ion of cobalt to help lower the energy barrier for
breaking down CO2. The team describes this single-site catalyst in a
paper just published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

Converting CO2 into simpler parts--carbon monoxide (CO) and oxygen--has
valuable real-world applications. "By breaking CO2, we can kill two
birds with one stone--remove CO2 from the atmosphere and make building
blocks for making fuel," said Anatoly Frenkel, a chemist with a joint
appointment at Brookhaven Lab and Stony Brook University. Frenkel led
the effort to understand the activity of the catalyst, which was made by
Gonghu Li, a physical chemist at the University of New Hampshire...
- - -
Though the science outlined in the paper is not yet in practical use,
there are abundant possibilities for applications, Frenkel said. In the
future, such single-site catalysts could be used in large-scale areas
with abundant sunlight to break down excess CO2 in the atmosphere,
similar to the way plants break down CO2 and reuse its building blocks
to build sugars in the process of photosynthesis. But instead of making
sugars, scientists might use the CO building blocks to generate
synthetic fuels or other useful chemicals.
https://phys.org/news/2018-11-light-activated-single-ion-catalyst-carbon-dioxide.html

[Three chills]
*The Three Most Chilling Conclusions From the Climate Report
<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/most-chilling-parts-2018-climate-assessment/576598/>*
Thirteen federal agencies agree: Climate change has already wreaked
havoc on the United States, and the worst is likely yet to come.
RACHEL GUTMAN
On Friday afternoon, the U.S. government published a major and ominous
climate report. Despite being released on a holiday, when it seemed the
smallest number of people would be paying attention, the latest
installment of the National Climate Assessment is, as told to my
colleague Robinson Meyer, full of "information that every human needs."
The report traces the effects climate change has already wrought upon
every region of the United States, from nationwide heat waves to
dwindling snowpacks in the West. In blunt and disturbing terms, it also
envisions the devastation yet to come.

The document's dire claims, backed by 13 federal agencies, come
frequently into conflict with the aims of the administration that
released it. Where the Trump administration has sought to loosen
restrictions on car emissions, the report warns that vehicles are
contributing to unhealthy ozone levels that affect nearly a third of
Americans. Whereas the president has ensured that the United States will
no longer meet the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement on climate
change, the report says that ignoring Paris could accelerate coral
bleaching in Hawaii by more than a decade.
Here are the report's three most chilling conclusions:
*1. Extreme hot weather is getting more common, and cold weather more rare.*
In its first chapter, the National Climate Assessment reports that
heat-wave season has expanded by more than 40 days since the 1960s. In
the bleakest scenario of unchecked climate change, Phoenix could have as
many as 150 days per year above 100 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of the
century...

*2. Climate change has doubled the devastation from wildfires in the
Southwest.*
According to the report, human-caused climate change has heated and
dried out the American Southwest, leading to deaths, enormous costs, and
lingering health consequences...

*3. Rising sea levels will necessitate mass migrations, and coastal
cities aren't doing enough.*
The report's chapter on the coastal effects of climate change warns that
sea-level rise alone could force tens of millions of people to move from
their homes within the next century...

    It remains difficult...to tally the extent of adaptation
    implementation in the United States because there are no common
    reporting systems, and many actions that reduce climate risk are not
    labeled as climate adaptation. Enough is known, however, to conclude
    that adaptation implementation is not uniform nor yet common across
    the United States...The scale of adaptation implementation for some
    effects and locations seems incommensurate with the projected scale
    of climate threats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/most-chilling-parts-2018-climate-assessment/576598/

[Visit Grist for links ]
*There's a fight brewing in D.C. over the future of the green movement
<https://grist.org/article/theres-a-fight-brewing-in-d-c-over-the-future-of-the-green-movement/>*
By Zoya Teirstein on Nov 20, 2018
Something weird is happening around climate change right now -- and it's
not just that rising average temperatures are throwing our entire planet
out of whack. Typically an issue politicians on both sides of the aisle
avoid, climate has been a topic of heated conversation on the Hill ever
since the Democrats took the House on Nov. 6. What gives?

The reinvigorated dialogue around climate is due, at least in part, to a
group called the Sunrise Movement. Representative-elect Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez joined 150 Sunrise protestors in House Minority Leader
Nancy Pelosi's office last week for a sit-in to demand an economy-wide
plan to address climate change. The activists and a small number of
progressive Congressional Democrats (most of them newly elected), are
pushing for something called a Green New Deal -- kind of like the 1930s
version but for green jobs. (Sunrise Movement cofounder Varshini Prakash
was a member of the 2018 Grist 50.)
But if you think the plan went over well with everyone who understands
climate change, you'd be mistaken. Many politicians on both sides of the
aisle prefer a market-driven approach that could hypothetically garner
bipartisan support. The activists argue that neither political party,
especially not the Republicans, has come to the table with the kind of
solution necessary to avert climate catastrophe. To that end, on
Tuesday, Sunrise Movement members staked out Congressional
representatives, like Democrats Barbara Lee of California and Jan
Schakowsky of Illinois, to ask them for their support on a Green New Deal.

The protests shine a spotlight on the rebirth of two very different
approaches to climate change solutions: sticking with compromise
tactics, such as a carbon tax that can appeal to people on either side
of the political spectrum, versus a balls-out, last-ditch effort to
create a green America. Proponents of each think they have the more
realistic approach. As we hurtle closer to a 2 degrees Celsius of
warming, the split between these two groups is widening into a chasm.

One of the people rankled by the activists' efforts to strong-arm Pelosi
is Representative Carlos Curbelo of Florida, the Republican who
co-founded a bipartisan climate change caucus in the House of
Representatives two years ago (which earned him a spot on our 2017 Grist
50 list). This past Election Day, Curbelo lost his seat to a Democrat,
Representative-elect Debbie Mucarsel-Powell. The Sunrise demonstrations
still didn't sit well with Curbelo, who called the protestors' actions
"truly deplorable." In response, the young activists called him a phony.
There's reason to think that Curbelo really believes his vision for
reining in emissions is the right one. This summer, he introduced the
Market Choice Act -- a carbon tax that went approximately nowhere, but,
as Curbelo said, laid the groundwork for similar taxes in the future. He
was one of only a handful of candidates, blue or red, who ran midterm
ads that mentioned his position on climate change. And he wasn't shy
about bringing up climate change on the Hill over and over again, even
while the rest of his Republican colleagues ignored the issue and
condemned solutions.

But Curbelo's political legacy isn't all green. He voted in favor of
President Trump's tax plan that opened up parts of the Arctic Refuge for
oil exploration, took money from energy companies in his bid for
reelection, and recently caught flak for calling people who made the
link between hurricanes and climate change "alarmists."

Curbelo says he plans on continuing his climate-related work after he
steps down in January -- and he's still got his eye on a carbon tax. But
Sunrise activists aren't giving up either. Serious climate legislation
won't get through the Republican-controlled Senate for a long time. In
the meantime, the Democratic Party has a choice: stick with its old,
bipartisan approach (albeit now with fewer Republican moderates to reach
to across the aisle), or break off from the middle like a piece of
Arctic ice.
We might not have to wait long to see which road Democrats take.
Capitalizing on the zeitgeist, Senator Bernie Sanders announced on
Monday that he'll host a town hall dedicated to climate solutions next
month. The 90-minute event is meant to galvanize support for fundamental
changes in America's energy policy -- exactly the kind of solution for
which Sunrise and Ocasio-Cortez are gunning. If this keeps up, veteran
politicians may soon be forced to confront an approach that has been,
until now, safely sequestered on the sidelines.
more at: -
https://grist.org/article/theres-a-fight-brewing-in-d-c-over-the-future-of-the-green-movement/

[Audio podcast and transcript]
AMERICA'S RING OF FIRE
*Burning Hotter and Faster
<https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/burning-hotter-and-faster/>*
We look at the recent Camp Fire, which is the deadliest and most
destructive in state history and revisit an investigation from earlier
this year.
Nov 24, 2018

Half of California's 10 worst wildfires have struck in the last two
years. We look at the recent Camp Fire, which is the deadliest and most
destructive in state history. And we revisit an investigation from
earlier this year looking at how extreme wildfires are breaking our
emergency response systems. Produced in partnership with KQED."

(from the) Full Transcript available:

    This is another one of those places where you can hear the system
    breaking down. The operator doesn't even know what Cal Fire is
    talking about. But that's actually because each county in
    California, there are 58, uses different technologies with different
    names to alert people. To Cal Fire it's reverse 911, to Napa it's
    called Nixel."

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/burning-hotter-and-faster/

[NYTimes Opinion]
*Knowledge, Ignorance and Climate Change
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/opinion/skepticism-philosophy-climate-change.html>*
Philosophers have been talking about skepticism for a long time. Some of
those insights can shed light on our public discourse regarding climate
change.
By N. Angel Pinillos
Dr. Pinillos is a professor of philosophy at Arizona State University.
No matter how smart or educated you are, what you don't know far
surpasses anything you may know. Socrates taught us the virtue of
recognizing our limitations. Wisdom, he said, requires possessing a type
of humility manifested in an awareness of one's own ignorance. Since
then, the value of being aware of our ignorance has been a recurring
theme in Western thought: Rene' Descartes said it's necessary to doubt
all things to build a solid foundation for science; and Ludwig
Wittgenstein, reflecting on the limits of language, said that "the
difficulty in philosophy is to say no more than we know."

Awareness of ignorance appears to be common in politics as well. In a
recent "60 Minutes" interview, President Trump said of global warming,
"I don't know that it's man-made." The same sentiment was echoed by
Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council. Perhaps
Trump and Kudlow, confident in their ignorance on these important
issues, are simply expressing philosophical humility and wisdom. Or
perhaps not.

Sometimes, when it appears that someone is expressing doubt, what he is
really doing is recommending a course of action. For example, if I tell
you that I don't know whether there is milk in the fridge, I'm not
exhibiting philosophical wisdom -- I'm simply recommending that you
check the fridge before you go shopping. From this perspective, what
Trump is doing is telling us that governmental decisions should not
assume that global warming is caused by humans.

According to NASA, at least 97 percent of actively publishing climate
scientists think that "climate-warming trends over the past century are
extremely likely caused by human activities." Americans overwhelmingly
agree that the federal government needs to take significant action. In a
recent poll conducted by Stanford University, ABC News and Resources for
the Future, 61 percent of those surveyed said that the federal
government should take a great deal or a lot of action to curb global
warming. And an additional 19 percent believe that the government should
take moderate action.

As a philosopher, I have nothing to add to the scientific evidence of
global warming, but I can tell you how it's possible to get ourselves to
sincerely doubt things, despite abundant evidence to the contrary. I
also have suggestions about how to fix this.

To understand how it's possible to doubt something despite evidence to
the contrary, try some thought experiments. Suppose you observe a
shopper at the convenience store buying a lottery ticket. You are aware
that the probability that he will lose the lottery is astronomically
high, typically above 99.99 percent, but it's hard to get yourself to
sincerely say you know this person will lose the lottery. Now imagine
your doctor screens you for a disease, and the test comes out negative.
But consider the possibility that this result is one of those rare
"false negative" cases. Do you really know the result of this particular
test is not a false negative?
These scenarios suggest that it's possible to feel as though you don't
know something even when possessing enormous evidence in its favor.
Philosophers call scenarios like these "skeptical pressure" cases, and
they arise in mundane, boring cases that have nothing to do with
politics or what one wants to be true. In general, a skeptical pressure
case is a thought experiment in which the protagonist has good evidence
for something that he or she believes, but the reader is reminded that
the protagonist could have made a mistake. If the story is set up in the
right way, the reader will be tempted to think that the protagonist's
belief isn't genuine knowledge.

When presented with these thought experiments, some philosophy students
conclude that what these examples show is that knowledge requires
full-blown certainty. In these skeptical pressure cases, the evidence is
overwhelming, but not 100 percent. It's an attractive idea, but it
doesn't sit well with the fact that we ordinarily say we know lots of
things with much lower probability. For example, I know I will be
grading student papers this weekend. Although the chance of this
happening is high, it is not anything close to 100 percent, since there
is always the chance I'll get sick, or that something more important
will come up. In fact, the chance of getting sick and not grading is
much higher than the chance of winning the lottery. So how could it be
that I know I will be grading and not know that the shopper at the
convenience store will lose the lottery?

Philosophers have been studying skeptical pressure intensely for the
past 50 years. Although there is no consensus about how it arises, a
promising idea defended by the philosopher David Lewis is that skeptical
pressure cases often involve focusing on the possibility of error. Once
we start worrying and ruminating about this possibility, no matter how
far-fetched, something in our brains causes us to doubt. The philosopher
Jennifer Nagel aptly calls this type of effect "epistemic anxiety."

In my own work, I have speculated that an extreme version of this
phenomenon is operative in obsessive compulsive disorder, a condition
that affects millions of Americans. In many cases of O.C.D., patients
are paralyzed with doubt about some fact -- against all evidence. For
example, a patient might doubt whether she turned off her stove despite
having just checked multiple times. As with skeptical pressure cases,
the focus on the possibility that one might be wrong plays a central
role in the phenomenon.

Let's return to climate change skepticism. According to social
psychology, climate change deniers tend to espouse conservative views,
which suggests that party ideology is partly responsible for these
attitudes. I think that we should also think about the philosophical
nature of skeptical reactions, an apolitical phenomenon.

The standard response by climate skeptics is a lot like our reaction to
skeptical pressure cases. Climate skeptics understand that 97 percent of
scientists disagree with them, but they focus on the very tiny fraction
of holdouts. As in the lottery case, this focus might be enough to
sustain their skepticism. We have seen this pattern before. Anti-vaccine
proponents, for example, aware that medical professionals disagree with
their position, focus on any bit of fringe research that might say
otherwise.

Skeptical allure can be gripping. Piling on more evidence does not
typically shake you out of it, just as making it even more probable that
you will lose the lottery does not all of a sudden make you feel like
you know your ticket is a loser.

One way to counter the effects of skepticism is to stop talking about
"knowledge" and switch to talking about probabilities. Instead of saying
that you don't know some claim, try to estimate the probability that it
is true. As hedge fund managers, economists, policy researchers, doctors
and bookmakers have long been aware, the way to make decisions while
managing risk is through probabilities. Once we switch to this
perspective, claims to "not know," like those made by Trump, lose their
force and we are pushed to think more carefully about the existing data
and engage in cost-benefit analyses.

Interestingly, people in the grips of skepticism are often still willing
to accept the objective probabilities. Think about the lottery case
again. Although you find it hard to say you know the shopper will lose
the lottery, you readily agree that it is still very probable that he
will lose. What this suggests is that even climate skeptics could budge
on their esteemed likelihood of climate change without renouncing their
initial skepticism. It's easy to say you don't know, but it's harder to
commit to an actual low probability estimate in the face of overwhelming
contrary evidence.

Socrates was correct that awareness of one's ignorance is virtuous, but
philosophers have subsequently uncovered many pitfalls associated with
claims of ignorance. An appreciation of these issues can help elevate
public discourse on important topics, including the future of our planet.

N. Angel Pinillos is a professor of philosophy in the School of
Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies at Arizona State University.

Now in print: "Modern Ethics in 77 Arguments" and "The Stone Reader:
Modern Philosophy in 133 Arguments," with essays from the series, edited
by Peter Catapano and Simon Critchley, published by Liveright Books.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/opinion/skepticism-philosophy-climate-change.html

November 24, 2018
*Neil deGrasse Tyson: Elon Musk Is The Most Important Person Alive Today
<https://youtu.be/BXcgBfi4xxo>*
CNBC Make It. Published on Nov 21, 2018
""As important as Steve Jobs was, here's the difference: Elon Musk is
trying to invent a future, not by providing the next app," says renowned
astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.

"What Elon Musk is doing is not simply giving us the next app that will
be awesome on our smartphone," deGrasse Tyson says. "No, he is thinking
about society, culture, how we interact, what forces need to be in play
to take civilization into the next century."

Between Musk's work at Tesla developing electric cars and his SpaceX
plans to put humans on Mars by 2024 (and, eventually, to colonize the
planet), the billionaire tech executive is attempting to revolutionize
both human transportation and space exploration, deGrasse Tyson says.

Of course, as an astrophysicist and director of the Hayden Planetarium
in New York, deGrasse Tyson might be expected to have a soft spot for
Musk's grand intergalactic plans. But deGrasse Tyson, who also hosts the
show "StarTalk" on the National Geographic Channel, argues that space
colonization could have a tremendous impact on civilization, potentially
eliminating the need for warring over dwindling natural resources.

"Because there's unlimited resources in space; resources that, on Earth,
we fight wars over," deGrasse Tyson tells CNBC Make It. "In space, you
don't need to fight a war, just go to another asteroid and get your
resources. A whole category of war has the potential of evaporating
entirely with the exploitation of space resources, which includes the
unlimited access to energy as well."

That's the sort of universal issue that Musk is trying to tackle,
deGrasse Tyson argues, which gives him the potential to have the
greatest long-term effect on our civilization. "[H]e will transform
civilization as we know it," deGrasse Tyson says.

Granted, Musk has had his share of detractors over the past year. Musk
was forced to step down from his role as Tesla's chairman as part of a
settlement with the SEC over a series of tweets in August in which he
discussed taking Tesla private (the SEC alleged the tweets constituted
fraud on Musk's part). The billionaire CEO has also received quite a bit
of criticism for, among other things: seemingly smoking marijuana on
video, calling a British cave diver a "pedo" on Twitter, and clashing
with journalists during an earnings call.

However, deGrasse Tyson feels that Musk is somewhat underappreciated,
though he argues that Musk is beloved by many people, including Tesla
owners and anyone interested in space exploration. ("Go, Elon Musk! And,
I don't care if he gets high," deGrasse Tyson jokes about the
controversy over Musk supposedly using drugs.)

"People who own Teslas love their Tesla …" deGrasse Tyson says. "Anyone
who knows and cares about space exploration knows and cares about Elon
Musk."

"[W]e're on the frontier of the future of civilization, and no I don't
think he gets his full due from all sectors of society," says deGrasse
Tyson, "but ultimately he will when the sectors that he is pioneering
transform the lives of those who currently have no clue that their life
is about to change."

About CNBC Make It.: CNBC Make It. is a new section of CNBC dedicated to
making you smarter about managing your business, career, and money.
https://youtu.be/BXcgBfi4xxo

[Up in the Arctic]
*Vegetation in Barents Region disturbed by mid-autumn thaw
<https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2018/11/autumn-spring-arctics-new-season>*
After frost comes spring, but when it happens in mid-November plants get
confused. That is not good news.
By Thomas Nilsen - November 16, 2018
November on the coast of the Barents Sea has been unseasonably warm.
Halfway, the Norwegian Meteorological Institute could report 5,9 degrees
Celsius above normal for Troms and Finnmark region in northern Norway.

What was snow-covered and frozen in late October is again rainy and warm.

The warm weather are confusing plants and trees. Some, like the
low-growing goat willow tree, believes it is spring. On Friday, catkins,
the fuzzy soft silver-colored nubs, started to appear, both near
Kirkenes and in Murmansk, as reported by Severpost.

Both are cities far above the Arctic Circle.

Catkins are actually the trees' flowers just before they fully bloom,
like you normally can see in late April, early May in the Barents Region.
"Very interesting, but not at all good news," says Paul Eric Aspholm,
Research Scientist with the Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research
(NIBIO).

Aspholm works at Svanhovd, NIBIO's department in the Pasvik valley in
the Norwegian-Russian borderland, the heart of the area experiencing
some of the most dramatic climate changes in the Arctic.
"It has been reported before, catkins on goat willow trees in late
autumn, but that was south in Nordland," Paul Eric Aspholm tells.
Nordland is the county in Northern-Norway with coastline to the
North-Atlantic and not the Arctic Ocean like the Barents Sea.

What happens, Aspholm explains, is that the tree "wakes up" with the
warm temperatures after a period of frost and believes the winter is
past. In combination with no frost in the ground, the plants blooming
are triggered.
"Over the last decade, we have seen more and more changes in the flora,
especially in the latest few years," Aspholm says.

He explains how such confusion like we see this November could harm
trees and plants in the Arctic.

"The plants use a lot of energy when blooming. It is a kind of failed
reproduction and no seeds are produced. One thing is the catkins we can
see, but there are likely a lot of other processes going on inside the
plant disturbing the balance in what should be the dormant phase."

"We know very little about how this will affect the plants up here in
the Arctic environment," says Paul Eric Aspholm.

Lack of daylight, he adds, slows down the spring effects. Whatever
temperatures, November is dark while May is light around the clock up
north at 69 degrees north and light is important for all plants and
trees. Secondly, there are no bees and butterflies to pollinate any
flowers in November.
The warm weather along the coast of the Barents Sea is forecasted to
last at least until mid-next week.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2018/11/autumn-spring-arctics-new-season

*This Day in Climate History - November 27, 2014
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/without-passing-a-single-law-obama-crafts-bold-enviornmental-policy.html>
- from D.R. Tucker*
November 27, 2014:
The New York Times reports:

    "President Obama could leave office with the most aggressive,
    far-reaching environmental legacy of any occupant of the White
    House. Yet it is very possible that not a single major environmental
    law will have passed during his two terms in Washington.

    "Instead, Mr. Obama has turned to the vast reach of the Clean Air
    Act of 1970, which some legal experts call the most powerful
    environmental law in the world. Faced with a Congress that has shut
    down his attempts to push through an environmental agenda, Mr. Obama
    is using the authority of the act passed at the birth of the
    environmental movement to issue a series of landmark regulations on
    air pollution, from soot to smog, to mercury and planet-warming
    carbon dioxide."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/without-passing-a-single-law-obama-crafts-bold-enviornmental-policy.html