[TheClimate.Vote] November 30, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Nov 30 09:31:53 EST 2018

/November 30, 2018/

[CNN video]
*Scientist laughs at climate change skeptics
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbjk0lhx95w>*
CNN
Published on Nov 27, 2018
Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist who assisted government
agencies in publishing a report predicting devastating damages from
climate change, said she in no way benefited financially from helping to
write it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbjk0lhx95w

[BBC video]
*Climate change: 'It is a global issue we are all failing'
<https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-46381529/climate-change-it-is-a-global-issue-we-are-all-failing>*
The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has warned that the rise of
nationalism around the world has reduced the political will of some
countries to work collectively to tackle global warming.
Ahead of the G20 summit in Argentina, and also a UN climate change
conference in Poland next week, the so-called COP24, he urged all
political leaders to make reducing climate change a priority.
He was speaking exclusively to our New York Correspondent, Nick Bryant.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-46381529/climate-change-it-is-a-global-issue-we-are-all-failing

[From KCRA 3 TV]
*'The science is there': Local co-author discusses grim climate report
<https://www.kcra.com/article/the-science-is-there-local-co-author-discusses-grim-climate-report/25312273>*
Q&A with Helene Margolis, Ph.D. with UC Davis' Department of Internal
Medicine
*KCRA: What are the most worrisome climate change concerns for the
Southwest region, including California?*
Margolis: A trend for increasing temperatures, above and beyond what we
see. And not just average temperatures, but the extremes. For example,
more frequent heatwaves, when the heatwaves do occur, they're going to
be over larger geographic areas, longer durations, so instead of two or
three days, they're going to be up to weeks long.

*KCRA: What are the top ailments people will suffer from more because of
climate change?*
Margolis: Higher rates of chronic respiratory diseases, like asthma and
COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. And higher rates of
exacerbation of that.
- - -
There is also cardiovascular effects. So particulates, especially, can
increase the risk of acute myocardial infarctions, or heart attacks,
especially in people who already have underlying cardiovascular disease...
https://www.kcra.com/article/the-science-is-there-local-co-author-discusses-grim-climate-report/25312273

[Regional climate forecasts]
*We broke down what climate change will do, region by region
<https://grist.org/article/we-broke-down-what-climate-change-will-do-region-by-region/>*
Yeah, we read each chapter of the report so you don't have to.
By Grist staff on Nov 29, 2018
Look, at this point, even the most stubborn among us know that climate
change is coming for our asses. We really don't have much time until the
climate plagues we're already getting previews of -- mega-wildfires,
rising sea-levels, superstorm after superstorm -- start increasing in
frequency. The 4th National Climate Assessment says all that and much
more is on its way.
Here's the thing: Not all regions in the U.S. are going to experience
climate change in the same way. Your backyard might suffer different
climate consequences than my backyard. And, let's be honest, we need to
know what's happening in our respective spaces so we can be prepared.
I'm not saying it's time to start prepping your bunker, but I would like
to know if my family should consider moving to higher ground or stock up
on maple syrup.
Luckily, that new report -- which Trump tried to bury on Black Friday --
breaks down climate change's likely impacts on 10 specific regions.
Unluckily, the chapters are super dense.
Silver lining: We at Grist divvied up the chapters and translated them
into news you can actually use.
https://grist.org/article/we-broke-down-what-climate-change-will-do-region-by-region/

[Wild fire nation]
*Wildfires Reflect a National Crisis on Climate Change
<https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-californias-efforts-to-prevent-wildfires-reflect-a-national-crisis-on-climate-change>*
By Carolyn Kormann
November 26, 2018
- - -
The climate assessment, similar to the United Nations report released
last month, describes, in detail, region-specific climate
impacts--including widespread crop failure in the Midwest and the threat
of rising sea level to a trillion dollars' worth of coastal real
estate--that will occur if emissions are not immediately, drastically
reduced and carbon dioxide is not removed from the atmosphere. But it
also focusses on the failure of government to successfully adopt
adaptation measures to address the devastating changes that are already
locked in. (The World Meteorological Organization reported last week
that heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere have reached
another new record high. But, even if all emissions ended this minute,
climate change would continue to intensify, because of "long delays in
the climate system's response to those emissions.") Adaptation is "not
yet common nor uniform across the United States," the assessment notes,
"and the scale of implementation for some effects and locations is often
considered inadequate to deal with the projected scale of climate-change
risks." In measured, if understated, prose, the report's authors explain
why: climate adaptation is "less familiar to some individuals and
organizations in that it requires a complete reversal from the
near-universal current assumption of an unchanging climate."
Policymakers can no longer use the past climate as a guide. But, by and
large, they still do...
- - -
Cathleen Kelly, who was the White House point person on Obama's
climate-resilience strategy and is now a senior fellow for energy and
the environment at the Center for American Progress, points out that the
first step to building national resilience is to recognize the problem.
"There is a lot of hand-waving and finger-pointing," she told me. "We
will never find adequate solutions unless we get real about the
problem." State and local leaders, she went on, are on the front lines,
and will have to rethink community and infrastructure designs and
develop forward-thinking and innovative legislation to reduce risks on
the ground. But they "cannot do this alone," she said; they need support
and funding for prevention and pre-disaster mitigation from the federal
government. According to the National Institute of Building Sciences,
every federal dollar spent on disaster prevention saves six dollars. And
yet, according to an analysis by the Pew Charitable Trusts, "from 2005
to 2014, the federal government spent 277.6 billion on disaster
assistance, while FEMA designated less than 600 million towards its
primary pre-disaster mitigation."..
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-californias-efforts-to-prevent-wildfires-reflect-a-national-crisis-on-climate-change

[Democracy Now video]
*Bill McKibben: New Report Reconfirms Climate Change is Shrinking
Inhabitable Parts of the Planet
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUU4R_4gf14>*
Democracy Now! - Published on Nov 26, 2018
https://democracynow.org - On the heels of yet another alarming climate
change report--this time released by a White House that openly denies
global warming--we speak with 350.org co-founder Bill McKibben and
public health scholar Kristie Ebi about President Trump's environmental
policies, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal and what it will
take to fight the growing threat of climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUU4R_4gf14

[Ethics and Climate]
*Six Things That Citizens Around the World Urgently Need to Know About
Climate Change In Light of Several Recent Scientific Reports
<https://ethicsandclimate.org/2018/11/28/six-things-that-citizens-around-the-world-urgently-need-to-know-about-climate-change-in-light-of-several-recent-scientific-reports/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EthicsAndClimate+%28ETHICS+and+CLIMATE%29>*
November 28, 2018
This article identifies and explains six things that most citizens
around the world, although particularly those in developed countries,
need to understand about climate change in light of the most recent
climate change science. These six things are:
*-The enormous magnitude of GHG emissions reductions needed to prevent
catastrophic warming...**
**-The speed of GHG emissions reductions needed to prevent catastrophic
warming...**
**-No nation may either legally or morally use national self-interest
alone as justification for their failure to fully meet their obligation
under the UNFCCC...**
**-No nation may either legally or morally use scientific uncertainty as
justification for their failure to fully meet their obligations under
the UNFCCC...**
**-Developed countries must legally, morally, and practically more
aggressively reduce their GHG emissions than developing countries...**
**-Developed countries must legally, morally, and practically help
finance mitigation and adaptation programs in poor developing countries...**
**The need for broad understanding among civil society of these issues
follows from several recent scientific reports on climate change..*
https://ethicsandclimate.org/2018/11/28/six-things-that-citizens-around-the-world-urgently-need-to-know-about-climate-change-in-light-of-several-recent-scientific-reports/

[United States Antarctic Program]
*Podcast: MacOps
<https://antarcticsun.usap.gov/features/contenthandler.cfm?id=4373>*
BY MICHAEL LUCIBELLA, ANTARCTIC SUN EDITOR
Posted August 22, 2018
In Antarctica, scientists conduct cutting edge research on a harsh and
barren continent. It's no easy task, but to help make it happen the U.S.
Antarctic Program employs small army of support staff to get these
researchers the supplies they need, transport them to where they need to
go and keep them safe throughout.

A lot of the jobs they do are the same that any small town needs to
function, often with a specialized twist that comes with working in such
a remote place, but others can be less obvious. The Antarctic Sun
Podcast is taking a behind-the-scenes look at the workers and what they
do to make science at the bottom of the world possible.
This Episode: MacOps - all episodes
<https://antarcticsun.usap.gov/podcast.cfm>
Antarctica is a vast and potentially treacherous continent and the
safety of researchers and support staff is of the utmost concern for
everyone. Just knowing what's happening is a critical first step towards
keeping everyone safe, but keeping the lines of communication open
between the station and people working in the field requires a lot of
effort. It takes a multitude of high frequency and very high frequency
radios, a veritable forest of signal repeaters, a constellation of
satellite phones and more to keep tabs on everyone.

All of those communication systems are routed through the nerve center
of the station, MacOps. Short for "McMurdo Operations," it's the central
communications hub where operators keep tabs on everyone off the
station. Communications operators are in almost constant contact with
the numerous field camps and sea ice groups, ready to send in search and
rescue teams in an emergency or just say a friendly "hello" after a long
hard day of work in a remote field camp.
https://antarcticsun.usap.gov/features/contenthandler.cfm?id=4373

[Blue Virginia praises local journalist]
*Video: Ralph Northam Dodges Question and Three Excellent Followups from
WTOP on Air Board Dismissals
<http://bluevirginia.us/2018/11/video-ralph-northam-dodges-question-and-three-followups-from-wtop-reporter-on-air-board-dismissals>*
By lowkell - November 28, 2018
"I've been critical of WTOP in the past, but this morning on their "Ask
the Governor show" they really did what journalists are supposed to do,
asking Ralph Northam a tough question and - perhaps even more
importantly - following up not once but MULTIPLE times when they didn't
get a serious answer. So…great job by WTOP; see below for the excerpt of
the show where they tried valiantly - but failed - to get Northam to
answer questions about his Air Pollution Control Board dismissals, just
weeks before a crucial vote on Dominion Energy's fracked-gas-pipeline
compressor station in historically African-American Union Hill."

    Question #1: "You've been criticized recently by environmentalists
    for your removal of two members of the Air Pollution Control Board
    just a couple of weeks before a crucial vote on a permit for a
    compressor for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline. Some say that the
    emissions from this compressor could have negative effects on a
    nearby community, a historic African-American community. The two
    board members who are now out had raised some questions about the
    safety of this compressor. We know that their terms had expired, but
    it's not unusual for folks to serve beyond expired terms, many
    others are currently doing so. Why at this point would you replace
    these members at such a critical time in this in this board's work
    as it relates to the Atlantic Coast pipeline?"

    Northam Non-Answer #1: Basically, this move was totally routine,
    nothing to see here, move right along. The terms of the two members
    expired and he replaced them with "some very qualified individuals"
    and we should all "give them a chance and let them do their jobs."
    Alrighty…

more at -
http://bluevirginia.us/2018/11/video-ralph-northam-dodges-question-and-three-followups-from-wtop-reporter-on-air-board-dismissals

*This Day in Climate History - November 30, 2010
<http://youtu.be/NTx2QD-XYt8>**- from D.R. Tucker*
November 30, 2010: Katie Couric, in her CBSNews.com "Notebook" segment,
observes:

    "The debate over global warming is once again heating up in
    Washington. Roughly half of the newly elected Republican
    congressmembers are climate change skeptics, according to one
    survey, and some want to roll back environmental regulations.
    "Their position was bolstered by the Climategate scandal, in which a
    handful of scientists were accused of manipulating data to support
    climate change. The scientists were later cleared, but the damage
    was done. Less than 60 percent of Americans now believe in global
    warming, down from 80 percent in 2006.
    "Still, the vast majority of scientists -- 97 percent -- say
    man-made climate change is real. 700 climate experts have joined a
    media project to educate the public, and UN talks are underway in
    Cancun on a treaty to curb greenhouse gases.
    "Time is ticking. Global warming may have become a political
    football, but scientists say it's one we can't afford to punt."

http://youtu.be/NTx2QD-XYt8