[TheClimate.Vote] October 26, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Oct 26 07:47:37 EDT 2018

/October 26, 2018/

[Climate joins the campaigns]
*Three Campaign Ads That Are Putting Climate Change on the Agenda
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/climate/campaign-ads-climate-change.html>*
By Lisa Friedman - Oct. 25, 2018
Want climate news in your inbox? Sign up here for Climate Fwd:, our
email newsletter.
Conventional political wisdom says you don't talk about climate change
on the campaign trail.
That's mostly because it's a deeply polarizing issue. In a recent Pew
Research Center survey, 72 percent of registered voters supporting
Democrats in the upcoming midterm elections said climate change was a
"very big" problem, compared with 11 percent of Republican voters.
That divide has led many candidates and the groups that support them,
even those who favor addressing planet-warming emissions, to struggle
with discussing the issue during election campaigns.
- - -
But after disasters like California's wildfires and Hurricane Michael,
which battered the Florida Panhandle, analysts say climate change is
becoming more relevant to supporters of main both parties.
Activists say they hope to see that reflected in political ads.
Paul Bledsoe, a White House climate adviser under President Bill
Clinton, said that would mean changing the way climate change is
discussed, from a distant threat to a here-and-now pocketbook issue. He
noted that in 2017, Congress appropriated $130 billion for disaster
relief across the country, about a quarter of the nondefense
discretionary budget.
"Instead of simply pointing the climate denier finger, I think
candidates need to talk about the actual economic and public safety
costs," Mr. Bledsoe said. "It's about basic kitchen table issues."
more at -
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/climate/campaign-ads-climate-change.html

[clips from Financial Times]
*The case against ExxonMobil
<https://www.ft.com/content/2ec13b58-d86e-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8>*
New York's claims focus on how the oil company weighed risks of climate
regulation
- -
Under Rex Tillerson, chief executive since 2006, Exxon moved away from
simply rejecting or ignoring the weight of scientific evidence on
climate change. In March 2014, after pressure from shareholders, the
company published a report titled Energy and Carbon -- Managing the
Risks, which explained how it was using what it called a "proxy cost of
carbon" to reflect its expectations about possible future restrictions
on emissions. It did not give full details of that price, but said that
in some areas, it might approach $80 per tonne of carbon dioxide by
2040. That price was not a forecast, but a proxy for an expected set of
policies and regulations that would have a similar effect, the company said.
- - -
Documents obtained by the New York attorney-general, however, show that
the company used a very different price when deciding on investing in
Antwerp. Instead of rising to about $80 per tonne by 2040, the cost of
carbon assumed in the investment decision reached only $40 in 2030 and
stayed flat thereafter. Moreover, Exxon applied that cost to only about
a third of the project's emissions, meaning the effective implied cost
for 2030-40 was just $14.24 per tonne.

The difference between that number and Exxon's talk of $80 is central to
Ms Underwood's charge that the company "built a façade to deceive
investors", making them think that it was managing the risks of climate
regulations, when in fact it was "systematically underestimating or
ignoring them". ...
- - -
Even if Exxon finally prevails in court, it will have been a long and
bruising experience. As a demonstration of the powers that the Martin
Act grants New York's attorney-general, it will encourage every other
company to think very carefully about what they say about the risks
associated with climate change.
more at - https://www.ft.com/content/2ec13b58-d86e-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8

[Justice]
*Kavanaugh's track record on environmental law favors business over
climate change protections
<https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-10-23/kavanaugh-s-track-record-environmental-law-favors-business-over-climate-change>*
Living on Earth
October 23, 2018 · writer Adam Wernick
- - -
The DC Circuit Court is the second most important court in the country,
after the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh has written about 300 opinions, of
which perhaps a quarter either dealt directly with environmental law or
concerned administrative law -- that is, issues that relate to how
government agencies like the EPA interpret and implement legislative
statutes.

Kavanaugh styles himself after the late Justice Scalia, who called
himself a textualist or a strict constructionist, explains Vermont law
professor Pat Parenteau.

"He looks to the text of a statute when he's asked to interpret it, and
if the text isn't clear enough, oftentimes he will rule against an
agency's interpretation," Parenteau says.

"In the environmental arena, that oftentimes means that rules written to
increase the level of protection for public health and the environment
don't often fit squarely within the plain text of a statute," Parenteau
continues. "Statutes are [often] general and vague. Agencies try to
interpret them as best they can."...
more at -
https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-10-23/kavanaugh-s-track-record-environmental-law-favors-business-over-climate-change

[text only - NPR forgot to broadcast this]
*5 Major Crops In The Crosshairs Of Climate Change
<https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/10/25/658588158/5-major-crops-in-the-crosshairs-of-climate-change>*
DAN CHARLES - October 25, 2018
Climate change is coming like a freight train, or a rising tide. And our
food, so dependent on rain and suitable temperatures, sits right in its
path.
The plants that nourish us won't disappear entirely. But they may have
to move to higher and cooler latitudes, or farther up a mountainside.
Some places may find it harder to grow anything at all, because there's
not enough water.
Here are five foods, and food-growing places, that will see the impact.
*Wheat*...India is likely to see a large drop in wheat production due to
heat stress -- about 8 percent if average global temperatures rise by 1
degree Celsius, according to one recent study...
*Peaches...*No bloom, no harvest. The peach trees currently grown in
California's Central Valley require about 700 "chilling hours" during
the winter...
*Coffee...*can't take freezing temperatures, but it doesn't like extreme
heat, either -- at least the highly prized Arabica type doesn't. So it's
mainly grown on relatively cool mountainsides in the tropics*
Corn...*They're predicting that a warming climate will bring several
changes, most of them bad for growing corn. Rain will come less often,
and when it comes, the storms will be more intense -- neither of which
is helpful for a crop that demands frequent rains, but doesn't do a good
job of preventing soil erosion. In addition, corn suffers when it gets
too hot -- especially when it's too hot at night. Add it all up, and one
study estimates that corn yields in Iowa will fall substantially,
anywhere from 15 percent to an astounding 50 percent...*
**Almonds.*..As the climate warms, though, winter precipitation will
arrive more often as rain, and the snow that does fall will melt much
more quickly, leaving farmers scrambling for water to keep crops alive
in late summer. Also, there will be more variation from year to year;
wet years will be wetter, and dry years will be even
dryer...California's farmers may be forced to reduce the amount of land
devoted to orchards, since there there's a chance that they will not
survive a major drought.*
*https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/10/25/658588158/5-major-crops-in-the-crosshairs-of-climate-change

*Army Training and Doctrine Command Says Climate Change Will Shape
Future Operating Environment
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/10/25/army-training-and-doctrine-command-says-climate-change-will-shape-future-operating-environment/>*
By John Conger
As the U.S. Army prepares troops for the future of warfare, it has,
without question, a lot on its plate.  Complicating that picture for the
Army is climate change. The Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC),
which as its name implies is responsible for overseeing training and
operational doctrine development for the Army, affirmed at a recent
conference that it sees climate change as a key factor influencing how
and where the Army will fight.

As reported by the Army Times:

    Ian Sullivan, the assistant G-2 (intelligence) for TRADOC, noted
    that shifting demographics and two previously limited fronts --
    megacities and the Arctic -- would be key factors in the future
    operating environment the Army will face.

More specifically:

    Other items Sullivan mentioned included outside elements that will
    cause changes that the Army must include in its strategic,
    operational and even tactical planning. They include climate change,
    resource competition, economic rebalancing and income disparity,
    demographics and urbanization.

The Army's approach to climate change in this strategic, operational and
tactical context is also consistent with its approach on the
installations and readiness side of the ledger, as stated by Alex
Beehler, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy, and
Environment during his confirmation hearing in August:

    …if confirmed, from my position I will do everything to encourage
    installations and help direct installations to properly prepare on a
    case by case basis for both adverse weather and effects long-term
    from climate.

In short, the Army's preparing for a future operating environment that
looks very different from today's.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/10/25/army-training-and-doctrine-command-says-climate-change-will-shape-future-operating-environment/
- - -
[Your Army]
Here are the top issues the Army's combat arms leaders are working on to
make sure soldiers are ready to fight
<https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/09/18/here-are-the-top-issues-the-armys-combat-arms-leaders-are-working-on-to-make-sure-soldiers-are-ready-to-fight/#.W8TuFXu3Ks4.twitter>
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/09/18/here-are-the-top-issues-the-armys-combat-arms-leaders-are-working-on-to-make-sure-soldiers-are-ready-to-fight/#.W8TuFXu3Ks4.twitter

[Canada 2019]
*Canada adopts carbon fee and dividend to rein in climate change
<https://citizensclimatelobby.org/canada-adopts-carbon-fee-and-dividend-to-rein-in-climate-change/>*
WASHINGTON, D.C., Oct. 23, 2018 -- Carbon fee and dividend, the solution
to tackle climate change proposed by Citizens' Climate Lobby, has
emerged as the default policy in Canada to price carbon and reduce the
greenhouse gas emissions contributing to global warming.

Beginning in 2019, Canada's federal policy will put a rising fee on
carbon emissions and return the revenue directly to Canadians. The
federal policy is a backstop to cover the four provinces that have not
initiated their own carbon-pricing policies. Nearly half of Canadians
live in these provinces.

"For years, CCL grassroots lobbyists have pressed both the U.S. and the
Canadian governments to enact carbon fee and dividend to bring
heat-trapping emissions under control," said Mark Reynolds, Executive
Director of Citizens' Climate Lobby. "We're thrilled that Canada is
taking the lead with this policy, and we hope their decision will
inspire the U.S. Congress to take similar action."

The policy announced today by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
applies a tax on carbon starting at $20 per ton in 2019, rising $10 per
ton annually until it reaches $50 per ton in 2022. Residents and
businesses in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick, the
four provinces subject to the federal tax, will receive rebate checks
that will exceed the amount of the carbon tax paid by the average family...
more at -
https://citizensclimatelobby.org/canada-adopts-carbon-fee-and-dividend-to-rein-in-climate-change/

[from YES]
*3 Things You Can Do to Help Avoid Climate Disaster
<https://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/3-things-you-can-do-to-help-avoid-climate-disaster-20181019>*
Hint: Putting solar panels on your house and walking to work are not on
the list.
1. Fight poverty...
2. Hold corporations accountable...
3. Disrupt oppression..
more at -
https://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/3-things-you-can-do-to-help-avoid-climate-disaster-20181019

[Jim Hansen presentation]
*American Geophysical Union + Chinese Academy of Sciences
<http://www.columbia.edu/%7Ejeh1/mailings/2018/20181024_AGU+CAScombined.pdf>*
James Hansen
I was privileged to give one of the keynote talks at the first joint
meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the Chinese
Academy of Sciences (CAS).
- - -
There are other reasons, besides interpretation of accelerating global
warming, for measuring global aerosol properties very accurately.
Human-made aerosols are carried by the winds and deposited on land and
ocean surfaces almost globally. These aerosols contain
nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorous and iron, which, together with
increasing atmospheric CO2, fertilize Earth's biosphere (see Charts
10 and 11). We have suggested that this fertilization effect is at least
partly responsible for increased uptake of fossil fuel carbon during
the past three decades, compared with the preceding three decades (see
Charts 8 and9). If this interpretation is correct, we can anticipate
that continuing efforts to reduce particulate air pollution, which is
essential for the sake of human health, will lead to anupsurge of
atmospheric CO2. Again, precise global satellite measurement of aerosols
is needed, in coordination with surface data and modeling.

Still another reason to monitor and understand aerosol climate effects
relates to the likelihood that the world will overshoot the safe level
of atmospheric CO2. Indeed, Chart21 implies that we have already
overshot the level of CO2 that will be safe on the long-term. Because
of the time required to draw down atmospheric CO2, even with aggressive
phase-out of fossil fuels (see Charts 51 and 52), it may prove
essential to take steps to alter Earth's energy imbalance and the rate
of ice melt, if the loss of coastal cities is to be averted.

We are not at a point to recommend such actions, but there is areal
danger that such a point maybe reached, especially if phase-out of
fossil fuels as our principal energy source is not achieved soon. Most
large cities are located on coastlines (see Chart 23),China has
several hundred million people living near sea level (Chart 24), and
much of global infrastructure is on coastlines.

One of the oldest proposals for solar radiation management (SRM),
popularized by Russian climatologist Mikhail Budyko, is to mimic
the effect of volcanoes by injecting SO2 gas into the stratosphere. This
would form aerosols that reflect sunlight, cooling Earth. Because
the aerosols fall out on a time scale of about a year, they require
continual replenishment, and thus this purposeful intervention with
climate can be terminated easily, if it is found to have undesirable
effects.
- - -
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2018/20181024_AGU+CAScombined.pdf
- --
[fair use granted]
*download from http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2018/China.October2018b.pptx*
"All the charts and my talk are available on my web site as a Recent
Presentation. My talk is provided by the notes attached to each chart;I
have edited these descriptions for clarity. Please feel free to use
these charts in your classes or any other educational efforts - you do
not need to ask my permission. I have also included back-up charts not
shown during my talk."
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2018/China.October2018b.pptx

["...for ourselves and our posterity..."]
*The Government Is Trying to Silence 21 Kids Hurt by Climate Change
<https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/government-silencing-kids-hurt-climate-change/573790/>*
The U.S. has a climate policy, and it wants the Supreme Court to enforce
it. That policy: No such thing.
9:47 AM ET
Garrett Epps, Professor of constitutional law at the University of Baltimore
- - -
In Juliana, the government has argued that the young plaintiffs don't
have standing and that their claim is "nonjusticiable." The District
Court, and the Ninth Circuit, have both rejected that claim and ordered
trial to begin on October 29. Now the government is demanding that the
Supreme Court simply revoke the order and block the trial. That kind of
request is not unheard-of, but it is extraordinary. Generally, the
government would make its standing and "political question" claims on
appeal, after the initial trial...
- -
Our world is burning in front of our eyes, and what Juliana tells us is
that our children know it. The government fears these 21 children; it
asks the Supreme Court to tell them they do not even deserve a chance to
fail.

The U.S. has a climate policy, and it asks the Supreme Court to enforce
it. That policy is: Donald Trump says there is no such thing as climate
change. The rest of us, young and old, need to shut up and burn.
More at -
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/government-silencing-kids-hurt-climate-change/573790/

[cyber hope or hubris?]
*Climathon is a global movement dedicated to solving city climate
challenges <https://climathon.climate-kic.org/en>*
Annual Climathon 24-hour hackathon - 26 October 2018
https://climathon.climate-kic.org/en
- - -
[Presenting an Urban Prepperism Paper]
*Paper on Urban Conservation Emergency Evacuation Plan (UCEEP 2.0)
<https://tvb-climatechallenge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ClimateChangeCentreReading-Executive-Summary_Urban-Conservation-Emergency-Evacuation-Plan-UCEEP-2.0.pdf>*
*Executive Summary*
Every local government need to develop an Urban Conservation Emergency
Evacuation Plan
(#UCEEP) https://climathon.climate-kic.org/en
The UCEEP (Safe #CitiinCiti) innovative project/initiative was realised
with clarity that safeguarding,
protection and shelter has overall the highest command in any emergency
in relation to mass
activities - Climate Action response risk assessing urban resilience
will by far have the most efficient
adaptation/mitigation impact. Poor urban planning, lack of ecosystem
restoration and short
medium/long-term environment decisions are already affecting the human
health globally.
'A system of local conservation emergency evacuation urban craters,
capturing rainwater will give a
new town/city protection and balance megacities, second cities and their
urban sprawl/spawn, it might
even be a supportive link between the city and it's green belt
definition. Cooling carbon sinks against
urban heat waves and balancing micro climates with positive green
outcome can generate many
health and safety benefits at the same time offer shelter and protection
to its area districts.'
Regional offices, local governments, planners and policy makers must
protect vulnerable citizens by
having an "Urban Conservation Emergency Evacuation Plan" policy in
place, proven to be realistic in
an actual emergency, when implementing our global frameworks. E.g.
unavoidable human-made
hazards which are related to our changing climate (climate-induced
disaster). How can we ensure
necessary mitigation/adaptation planning documentation is up-to-date?
Key words Decarbonisation -
Biodiversity - Greenfield land and Natural space Water resources and Air
quality - Climate change -
Public space Social inclusion and Integration - Restoration.
more from -
https://tvb-climatechallenge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ClimateChangeCentreReading-Executive-Summary_Urban-Conservation-Emergency-Evacuation-Plan-UCEEP-2.0.pdf
https://climathon.climate-kic.org/en

[NPR Audio]
*Blockchain And Climate Change
<https://www.npr.org/2018/10/25/660441213/blockchain-and-climate-change>*
October 25, 2018
There's a lot of buzz about how big data and now blockchain will "solve
climate change."
Scientists are concerned that the hype plays into a dangerous idea that
there's a technological magic bullet.
Listen at -
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/25/660441213/blockchain-and-climate-change
- - -
[United Nations wants]
*How Blockchain Technology Could Boost Climate Action
<https://unfccc.int/index.php/news/how-blockchain-technology-could-boost-climate-action>*
- - -
"As countries, regions, cities and businesses work to rapidly implement
the Paris Climate Change Agreement, they need to make use of all
innovative and cutting-edge technologies available. Blockchain could
contribute to greater stakeholder involvement, transparency and
engagement and help bring   trust and further innovative solutions in
the fight against climate change, leading to enhanced climate actions,"
said Alexandre Gellert Paris, Associate Programme Officer at the UNFCCC.
- -
The United Nations Climate Change (UNFCCC) secretariat recognizes the
general potential of Blockchain technology. In particular, transparency,
cost-effectiveness and efficiency advantages, which in turn may lead to
greater stakeholder integration and enhanced creation of global public
goods are currently viewed as the main potential benefits. The
secretariat, therefore, specifically supports initiatives that lead to
innovation at the intersection of Blockchain and climate. One of such
initiatives is the "Blockchain for Climate" hackathon to be organized by
the government of Liechtenstein, Cleantech21, INFRAS and ETH Zürich, in
the margin of COP23.
more at -
https://unfccc.int/index.php/news/how-blockchain-technology-could-boost-climate-action
- - - -
[At work]
*BLOCKCHAIN FOR CLIMATE <https://www.blockchainforclimate.org/>*
Putting the Paris Agreement on the Blockchain
Blockchain for Climate solves complex climate challenges utilizing
blockchain technology. We're a team of leaders from the cryptocurrency,
climate and technology communities, striving to stitch these disciplines
together. We collaborate to accelerate the flow of ideas, best practices
and shared wisdom towards building successful blockchain initiatives in
carbon pricing, emissions tracking and climate action. In kind, we help
interested parties understand the fundamentals of cryptocurrency and
blockchain so that all may become effective participants in this
emerging realm.
Our team has focused on the "killer use case" for blockchain, in regards
to climate action. Putting the Paris Agreement on the Blockchain. You
can read more about our mission and path at:
Putting the Paris Agreement on the Blockchain
<https://medium.com/@blockforclimate/putting-the-paris-agreement-on-the-blockchain-57eda4c481af>
more at -https://www.blockchainforclimate.org/

*This Day in Climate History - October 26, 2000
<http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0010/26/se.02.html> - from D.R.
Tucker*
October 26, 2000: At a campaign appearance in Davenport, Iowa,
Democratic candidate Al Gore declares:

    "Now, I want to talk about the environment here today, because we
    have a situation where the big polluters are supporting Governor
    Bush, and they are wanting to be in control of the environmental
    policies.

    "In his state of Texas -- Tom talked about some of the statistics
    there -- here's another: They're No. 1 in something; they rank No. 1
    out of all 50 in industrial pollution. They rank No. 1 as the
    smoggiest state. Houston's just solidified its title as the
    smoggiest city.

    "He put a lobbyist for the chemical manufacturers in charge of
    enforcing the environmental laws, made some of the environmental
    laws voluntary and then the state sank in its ratings.

    "Now, look, just today we are seeing on television the new study
    that just comes out once every five years where the scientific
    community around the world tells us what they've learned about this
    problem that these kids are going to grow up with unless we do
    something, and that's the problem of global warming. And I know a
    lot of people say that that looks like it's off in the future.

    "But let me tell what you this new study said: instead of just going
    up a few degrees in the lifetimes of these kids, unless we act, the
    average temperature is going to go up 10 or 11 degrees. The storms
    will get stronger, the weather patterns will change. But it does not
    have to happen, and it won't happen if we put our minds to solving
    this problem."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0010/26/se.02.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that