[TheClimate.Vote] October 29, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 29 08:45:25 EDT 2018

/October 29, 2018/

[CO2]
*Oregon Now Has A Hypoxia Season, Just Like A Wildfire Season
<https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-coast-pacific-ocean-hypoxia-season/>*
by Kristian Foden-Vencil
- -
Hypoxia is a condition in which the ocean water close to the sea floor
has such low levels of dissolved oxygen that the organisms living down
there die.
Some of the first signs came in 2002 when dead crabs were hauled up in
crab pots. Since then, scientists and crabbers say things have worsened.
- - -
"Scientists keep saying that the ocean is changing along with the
climate, and people are beginning to get in tune," said Barth. "They see
the heat waves and all the smoke from wildfires and are beginning to
realize that this is something different."
"The crabbing and the oyster industries were ahead of the curve. They
were among the first to notice that the ocean just off our coast is
changing and was affecting their livelihoods. And they have been working
with scientists ever since."
- - -
"Scientists from Oregon State have been involved since day one on both
the emerging challenges of coastal ocean hypoxia and ocean
acidification," said Caren Braby, marine resources program manager at
the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and co-chair of the Oregon
Ocean Acidification and Hypoxia Council.
Scientists say rising levels of carbon dioxide, attributed to the
burning of fossil fuels, are major drivers of increased ocean acidification.
In its first biannual report to the Legislature, Oregon’s Hypoxia
Council said the state needs more monitoring and policy direction on
this problem.
https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-coast-pacific-ocean-hypoxia-season/
- -
*California Acidification and Hypoxia Science Task Force
<http://westcoastoah.org/>**
*http://westcoastoah.org/

CAMPAIGN 2018
*This Dem might beat the strongest Republican on climate
<https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060104451>*
Mark K. Matthews
MIAMI -- Debbie Mucarsel-Powell has a problem that's rare for a Democrat
this year -- the Floridian and former college administrator is running
against a Republican incumbent who not only accepts that climate change
is happening but has introduced legislation to combat it.

It's the kind of record that has kept Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) in
office since 2015 while representing an environmentally conscious South
Florida seat that went for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump by 16
percentage points in 2016.
But Mucarsel-Powell, who appeared at a Democratic rally yesterday on the
campus of Florida International University, said she has a simple
message to short-circuit Curbelo's advantage: being a good-enough
Republican on the environment isn't good enough anymore.

"We don't have time to waste," Mucarsel-Powell said in a post-rally
interview. "We have very little time to address the impact of climate
change and to reduce carbon emissions. And it's why I think that at this
point it's crucial to elect me to Congress and have a majority of
Democrats that are the only ones who are going to bring any sort of
[climate] bill to the floor."
Over the last couple of years, Curbelo has made a name for himself as a
Republican willing to speak out on climate change...
- - -
While his 2017 score with the League of Conservation Voters was at 23
percent, it was enough to put him in the top tier of House Republicans.
So one of the group's campaign arms, LCV Action Fund, has declined to
endorse either Curbelo or Mucarsel-Powell in their fight for Florida's
26th District.
Still, Mucarsel-Powell has received the backing of the Florida chapter
of the Sierra Club in part because of Curbelo's overall record and what
the group sees as the advantage of a Democratic-controlled Congress.

"He didn't take the next step to actually vote for good climate bills
and against bad ones. And it's not just the word 'climate' in the bill.
You're talking about clean energy policies that will reduce the amount
of carbon going in the atmosphere," said Frank Jackalone director of
Sierra Club Florida.

He said it would be a "better choice" to add Mucarsel-Powell to a
Democratic majority that would be more committed than its GOP
counterpart to passing legislation that would address global warming.

But Curbelo, at a homeowners association forum yesterday, made the case
that his work on climate is integral to combating global warming.
"Of course humans contribute to climate change, and that's why humans
have to fix all our environmental problems," said Curbelo, pointing to
his carbon tax bill.

With Election Day less than two weeks away, Mucarsel-Powell's
partisan-heavy approach could be paying dividends in a district where
registered Democratic voters outnumber Republicans.
A mid-October poll by The New York Times found a slight 1 percentage
point edge for Mucarsel-Powell -- which is well within the survey's
margin of error of 4.9 percentage points.
That's an improvement for Mucarsel-Powell since the newspaper polled the
district last month and found Curbelo ahead by 3 percentage points,
which also was within the poll's margin of error.
more at - https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060104451

[forget beer and wine]
*World hunger has risen for three straight years, and climate change is
a cause
<https://www.salon.com/2018/10/28/world-hunger-has-risen-for-three-straight-years-and-climate-change-is-a-cause_partner/>*
Among the factors driving global malnourishment is climate change itself
JESSICA EISE, KENNETH FOSTER
OCTOBER 28, 2018
World hunger has risen for a third consecutive year, according to the
United Nations' annual food security report. The total number of people
who face chronic food deprivation has increased by 15 million since
2016. Some 821 million people now face food insecurity, raising numbers
to the same level as almost a decade ago.

The situation is worsening in South America, Central Asia and most
regions of Africa, the report shows. It also spotlights a troubling rise
in anemia among women of reproductive age. One in 3 women worldwide are
affected, with health and developmental consequences for them and their
children.
 From 2005 to 2014, global undernourishment was on the decline. But the
rate of decline continuously eroded, like a car moving forward at an
ever-decreasing speed. Several years ago it stopped altogether, and
world hunger started to climb once more. Among the factors driving this
reversal was climate change...
  - -
Climate change is anticipated to force more than 100 million people into
extreme poverty by 2030. Adapting to climate change is a key way to
combat this -- and technology can help.
For instance, precision agriculture can leverage computers, global
positioning systems, geographic information systems and sensors to
provide the data necessary to give each tiny parcel of land on a field
exactly the inputs it needs. And a resurgent interest is occurring in
use of the time-honored technology of cover crops to mitigate climate
change impacts.

We can go even smaller in our measurements with the emergence of
nanotechnology. Aside from making field sensors smaller and more
compact, nanotechnologies can also help improve how fertilizers and
pesticides are released. By putting chemical inputs into tiny capsules
or in gels, it is possible to control when and how these inputs are
released to make them more effective, and at the same time reduce
chemical emissions and runoff.
But ultimately, it is up to individuals. Around the world, people must
wield their social power to encourage mitigation of climate change and
promote investments in technologies for adaptation. We need everyone at
the table contributing to a food-secure future.
more at -
https://www.salon.com/2018/10/28/world-hunger-has-risen-for-three-straight-years-and-climate-change-is-a-cause_partner/

*Some Minnesotans find ways to take action on climate change challenges
<http://www.startribune.com/some-minnesotans-find-ways-to-take-action-on-climate-change-challenges/498797431/>*
Many Minnesotans are rethinking their daily habits as evidence mounts on
the imminent climate perils.
By Matt McKinney Star Tribune  OCTOBER 27, 2018
- - -
  A report this month, the most urgent yet from the U.N.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said even the best-case
scenario predicts widespread drought, pervasive forest fires, flooded
coasts and a degraded planet in coming decades.

The authors said humans must eliminate fossil fuels entirely by 2050 or
face a future of killer heat waves, monster hurricanes, smaller crops
and widespread social disruption.

  A report this month, the most urgent yet from the U.N.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said even the best-case
scenario predicts widespread drought, pervasive forest fires, flooded
coasts and a degraded planet in coming decades.

The authors said humans must eliminate fossil fuels entirely by 2050 or
face a future of killer heat waves, monster hurricanes, smaller crops
and widespread social disruption.
more at -
http://www.startribune.com/some-minnesotans-find-ways-to-take-action-on-climate-change-challenges/498797431/

[Meeting at the Salt Lake City Unitarian Church]
*10 Steps to Psychosocial Resilience in a Chaotic Climate
<https://www.facebook.com/events/301136613946428/>*
Public · Hosted by Good Grief Network and First Unitarian Church of Salt
Lake City
Join our 10-Step meetings to combat despair, deepen self-awareness, and
embrace interconnection. We invite everyone grappling with today's
systemic challenges (e.g. climate change, environmental destruction,
mass violence, and pervasive inequality) to join us as we build
community and psychosocial resilience. Discover inspiration and tools to
uncover meaning in your daily life.
Meetings held weekly: 6:30-8:30pm in Room 218 of the Unitarian Church
(569 1300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84102)
Drop-Ins welcome, but RSVP recommended for more info: ADAIRKOVAC at GMAIL.COM
Meeting Dates:

    October 30
    Step 1: Accept the problem and its severity
    November 6
    Step 2: Acknowledge That I Am Part Of The Problem As Well As The
    Solution
    November 13
    Step 3: Practice Sitting With Uncertainty
    November 27
    Step 4: Confront My Own Mortality And The Mortality Of All
    December 4
    Step 5: Feel My feelings
    December 11
    Step 6: Do Inner Work
    December 18
    Step 7: Take Breaks And Rest As Needed
    January 8
    Step 8: Develop Awareness of Brain Patterns and Perception
    January 15
    Step 9: Show Up
    January 22
    Step 10: Reinvest Into Problem-Solving Efforts

More here: https://mailchi.mp/84eac2b4160e/big-news
more at - https://www.facebook.com/events/301136613946428/
[step 11: repeat]

[WECAN website]
*Women's Earth & Climate Action Network <https://wecaninternational.org/>*
InternationalThe Women's Earth & Climate Action Network is a
solutions-based, multi-faceted effort established to engage women
worldwide to take action as powerful stakeholders in climate change and
sustainability solutions.For Our Earth and Future Generations
Download the WECAN agenda
https://wecaninternational.org/uploads/cke_documents/WECAN-Agenda-update-2016-webd.pdf
much more at - https://wecaninternational.org/

[Washington State activism note]
With WA on the verge of becoming the first state in the country to put a
fee on climate pollution & the first anywhere in the world to do it by
direct democracy, the campaign is attracting serious national
attention:The Nation
<https://www.thenation.com/article/washington-carbon-emissions-tax-initiative-1631/>,
Time
<http://time.com/5431374/washington-carbon-tax-1631-climate-change/>,
Vox
<https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/9/28/17899804/2018-midterm-elections-washington-state-climate-change-1631-carbon-fee-green-new-deal>,
New York Time
<https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/10/16/us/ap-us-carbon-fee-washington.html>s
are just a few of the national outlets to report on the climate battle
being waged here in the Northwest.
"We like to think that's because this is a statewide fight with national
consequences..."
*Oil industry spending to stop 1631 has now topped $30 million*. To put
that in context, the previous most expensive political campaign ever in
WA topped out at $22 million. To fight that sort of outrageous money we
need people all over the country to help us. We still have 200,000 phone
numbers left to call to reach our field goals -- and we simply can't do
that unless we have a lot of help from folks in other states. So, I know
this isn't really a call to action type of list (y'all are already
called/the ones doing the calling) but writing to y'all today to ask if
any of you on here can help us phone bank to pass the first carbon fee
policy in the country?
Sign up to phone bank here
https://act.yeson1631.org/signup/call-for-clean-air/

[Gaia]
*Climate: A New Story <https://charleseisenstein.net>*
Flipping the script on climate change, Eisenstein makes a case for a
wholesale reimagining of the framing, tactics, and goals we employ in
our journey to heal from ecological destruction

    With research and insight, Charles Eisenstein details how the
    quantification of the natural world leads to a lack of integration
    and our “fight” mentality. With an entire chapter unpacking the
    climate change denier's point of view, he advocates for expanding
    our exclusive focus on carbon emissions to see the broader picture
    beyond our short-sighted and incomplete approach. The rivers,
    forests, and creatures of the natural and material world are sacred
    and valuable in their own right, not simply for carbon credits or
    preventing the extinction of one species versus another. After all,
    when you ask someone why they first became an environmentalist,
    they're likely to point to the river they played in, the ocean they
    visited, the wild animals they observed, or the trees they climbed
    when they were a kid. This refocusing away from impending
    catastrophe and our inevitable doom cultivates meaningful emotional
    and psychological connections and provides real, actionable steps to
    caring for the earth. Freeing ourselves from a war mentality and
    seeing the bigger picture of how everything from prison reform to
    saving the whales can contribute to our planetary ecological health,
    we resist reflexive postures of solution and blame and reach toward
    the deep place where commitment lives.

The print version is available on Amazon or from the publisher directly.
Other online booksellers, such as IndieBound carry the book as well. Or
better yet, ask for it at your local bookstore.
Length: 320 pages
ISBN-10: 1623172489
https://charleseisenstein.net/video/
- - -
5 min video lecture about the book <https://youtu.be/DYQKLrbiCDE>
https://youtu.be/DYQKLrbiCDE

[audio interview starts 4:24]
_Last Born In The Wilderness_
*#141 | Initiation: A New Story Of Climate w/ Charles Eisenstein
<https://soundcloud.com/lastborninthewilderness/charles-eisenstein-complete>*
Our guest for this episode is Charles Eisenstein -- public speaker and
author of several influential books, including 'Sacred Economics,' 'The
More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible,' and most recently
'Climate: A New Story.'
- - -
In this interview, I ask Charles to discuss the themes and ideas
presented in his upcoming book 'Climate: A New Story,' a book that
"flips the script on climate change," making the "case for a wholesale
reimagining of the framing, tactics, and goals we employ in our journey
to heal from ecological destruction," in which the global climate crisis
ultimately stems from. + As someone deeply concerned about ecological
crisis unfolding on this planet, I asked Charles expound on his
understanding of what the planetary crisis is asking of us as a
collective and as individual members of the human species. Are we going
to continue to live within and act on behalf of a paradigm that
disconnects us from the living planet, alienates and disconnects us from
each other and the land we live on, and rationalizes the ongoing
maintenance of a global economic system that demands infinite growth in
order to exist? The climate crisis, and the ecological crisis more
broadly, points to the deeper crisis of meaning humanity is coming up
against in this time we find ourselves in. The stories we have been
telling ourselves about our role on this planet no longer make sense,
for very obvious reasons. The abrupt changes in the global climate
system speaks to this reality.

Is humanity meant for self-destruction (an evolutionary cul-de-sac), or
is this crisis pointing to something else entirely? Can we develop a
right relationship and role within the living systems of this planet by
beginning the sacred process of healing from the wounds we have wrought
on our long journey to this moment? We discuss this an more in this episode.

Charles Eisenstein and his work has deeply influenced my thinking and
understanding of the nature of the converging crises we are experiencing
in this time we all share. I have to thank Charles for taking the time
to speak with me for this episode, and to Marie Goodwin for setting this
interview up. Charles is a teacher, speaker, and writer that focuses on
themes of civilization, consciousness, money, and human cultural
evolution. He is the host of the podcast 'A New and Ancient Story,' a
podcast that engages in topics that “revolve around concepts of
interbeing and 'technologies of reunion' -- anything drawing from and
contributing to a new story, including material, social, psychological,
agricultural, healing, and educational 'technologies.'”% He is the
author of several books that expound on these topics, including 'The
Yoga of Eating,' 'The Ascent of Humanity,' 'Sacred Economics,' 'The More
Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible,' and most recently
'Climate: A New Story.'
+ Source: bit.ly/ClimateNewStory
% Source: bit.ly/NewAncientStory
Episode Notes:
- Pre-order Charles' new book 'Climate: A New Story' here:
bit.ly/ClimateNewStory

[Classic doomerist video screed]
*Last Hours: The Frightening Reality of Global Climate Change
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9Rin38dDw>*
The Big Picture RT
Published on Mar 6, 2015
A special segment of “Last Hours,” the frightening reality of global
climate change,  narrated by Thom Hartmann and Leonardo DiCaprio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9Rin38dDw

*This Day in Climate History - October 29, 2003
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/29/national/29CLIM.html> - from D.R. Tucker*
October 29, 2003: The New York Times reports:

    "Motivated by environmental and economic concerns, states have
    become the driving force in efforts to combat global warming even as
    mandatory programs on the federal level have largely stalled."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/29/national/29CLIM.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that