[TheClimate.Vote] September 26, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Sep 26 10:58:46 EDT 2018

/September 26, 2018/

[Bloomberg does some fearless publishing]
*New Climate Debate: How to Adapt to the End of the World
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-26/new-climate-debate-how-to-adapt-to-the-end-of-the-world>*
Researchers are thinking about social collapse and how to prepare for it.
By Christopher Flavelle - Sept 26, 2018
- - - -
It might be tempting to dismiss Bendell and Gosling as outliers. But
they're not alone in writing about the possibility of massive political
and social shocks from climate change and the need to start preparing
for those shocks. Since posting his paper, Bendell says he's been
contacted by more academics investigating the same questions. A LinkedIn
group titled "Deep Adaptation" includes professors, government
scientists, and investors.

William Clark, a Harvard professor and former MacArthur Fellow who
edited the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences paper, is
among those who worry about what might come next. "We are right on the
bloody edge," he says.

Clark argues that in addition to quickly and dramatically cutting
emissions, society should pursue a new scale of adaptation work. Rather
than simply asking people to water their lawns less often, for example,
governments need to consider large-scale, decades-long infrastructure
projects, such as transporting water to increasingly arid regions and
moving cities away from the ocean.

"This is not your grandfather's adaptation," he says...
more at
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-26/new-climate-debate-how-to-adapt-to-the-end-of-the-world

[Oil announces an aspiration]
*Big Oil Warns of Backlash as It Makes Vow on Climate Change
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/big-oil-warns-of-backlash-as-it-makes-vow-on-climate-change>*
By Alex Nussbaum
September 25, 2018,
The world's biggest oil and gas companies made an unprecedented vow to
cut their contributions to global warming, even as they warned of a
potential backlash from pushing change too quickly.
A collection of 13 energy luminaries, including the heads of BP Plc and
Royal Dutch Shell Plc, gathered in New York Monday to acknowledge the
need to reduce the planet's reliance on fossil fuels. But they said a
long road lies ahead that's filled with political and technological
challenges, and insisted petroleum will remain a key source of fuel for
a growing population.
- - - -
The companies present on Monday announced a collective pledge to cut the
rate of heat-trapping methane pollution from their operations by
one-fifth by 2025, a move that would reduce overall emissions by 350,000
tons per year, according to a statement. The 13 businesses have also
created a $1.3 billion investment fund to seed startups that are aiming
to cut emissions from vehicles, oil wells, concrete production and other
top sources of greenhouse gases...
  -- - - -
Still, some climate activists remain skeptical of the OGCI. The
initiative has very little to do with addressing climate change and
everything with oil and gas companies trying to delay their "inevitable"
demise, Patrick McCully, climate and energy program director at the
Rainforest Action Network in San Francisco, said in an email.
"The math is clear," he said. To avoid "catastrophic climate change we
need to stop expanding fossil fuel use and start the managed decline of
the sector."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/big-oil-warns-of-backlash-as-it-makes-vow-on-climate-change

*
[Opinion]
Fear Climate Change -- and Our Response to It
<https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-25/how-we-re-making-climate-change-even-more-expensive>
Global warming will be expensive, and humanity's irrational reaction may
make it even more so.
*By Tyler Cowen
September 25, 2018, 4:30 AM PDT
The potential costs of climate change, already the subject of heated
debate, may actually be understated. It's not just the potential
disruptions to weather systems, agriculture and coastal cities; it's
that we may respond to those problems in stupid and destructive ways. As
the philosopher and cartoon character Pogo said: "We have met the enemy
and he is us."

Consider how poorly we have responded to many non-climate-related
problems. In the case of Brexit, for example, the Leave movement was
arguably responding to some real problems. The European Union
bureaucracy is too stringent, and perhaps the U.K. did not have an ideal
arrangement with immigration. But Brexit is careening toward disaster,
with no good plan on tap, the two major parties in splinters, the
British pound declining, the Irish "Good Friday" agreement at risk, and
the U.K. seriously talking about food stockpiles and other emergency
measures.

It would have been better if the British had responded to their
country's problems in a less extreme way, or simply learned to live with
the problems they had. Instead, they voted for a rash and poorly
thought-out remedy.

Similarly, you might think that supporters of President Donald Trump
have legitimate concerns about illegal immigration and U.S.
unwillingness to stand up to China. Still, that did not require a
presidential "remedy" that has brought chaos and corruption to the White
House and U.S. foreign policy alike.

In short, the world increasingly appears to be reaching for extreme and
imprudent remedies to admittedly complex problems. These overreactions
do not seem to be mere accidents, but arise from some pretty fundamental
features of polarized politics — namely, that discourse has become less
rational and technocratic.

When it comes to climate change, all this plays out in interesting ways.
In the U.S., imagine that many Florida residents have to leave their
residences permanently, due to fiercer storms or rising sea level. The
rational approach might involve well-functioning insurance markets, some
public-sector transfers and compensation, and better infrastructure
planning. The idea would be to limit the number of such moves or at
least to lower their cost. That could prove very costly but essentially
manageable.

But that is probably not what we will get. Instead, the debate may well
radicalize Florida politics, which has consequences for national
politics as Florida is a swing state. On the federal level, an
infrastructure bill would invariably direct too much money to wasteful
new projects in less populated states. Everywhere, the harsh,
non-sympathetic tone of the debate will further corrode American politics.

Looking outside of the U.S.: Imagine that climate change forced or
induced the migration of many people from Bangladesh. An ideal
international reaction would involve foreign aid plus the cooperative
parceling out of refugees to different countries. Circa 2018, following
the crises in Syria and Libya, does anyone really expect such a rational
outcome? A more likely, though admittedly speculative scenario, is
clashes on the border with India, the further radicalization of Indian
politics ("build a wall"), refugee camps full of hundreds of thousands
of people, and more extremist terrorism in Bangladesh.
I am struck by the costs of climate change suggested in the UN's
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report, hardly a source of
denialism. Its cost estimate — "1 to 5% of GDP for 4C of warming" — is
relatively reassuring. After all, global GDP is right now growing at
more than 4 percent a year. If climate change cost "only" 4 percent of
GDP on a one-time basis, then the world economy could make up those
costs with less than a year's worth of economic growth. In essence, the
world economy would arrive at a given level of wealth about a year later
than otherwise would have been the case. That sounds expensive but not
tragic.

Unfortunately, that is not the right way to conceptualize the problem.
Think of the 4 percent hit to GDP, if indeed that is the right number,
as a highly unevenly distributed opening shot. That's round one, and
from that point on we are going to react with our human foibles and
emotions, and with our highly imperfect and sometimes corrupt political
institutions. (Libertarians, who are typically most skeptical of
political solutions, should be the most worried.)
Considering how the Syrian crisis has fragmented the EU as well as
internal German politics, is it so crazy to think that climate change
might erode international cooperation all the more? The true potential
costs of climate change are just beginning to come into view.*
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-25/how-we-re-making-climate-change-even-more-expensive

*
[fighting with 1's and 0's]
*Google's New Tool to Fight Climate Change
<https://insights.sustainability.google/>
*The company will begin estimating local carbon pollution from cities
around the world.
ROBINSON MEYER
In the next decade or so, more than 6,000 cities, states, and provinces
around the world will try to do something that has eluded humanity for
25 years: reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases, which warm the
atmosphere and cause climate change.
- - - -
"The first step toward taking climate action is creating an emissions
inventory," says Saleem Van Groenou, a program manager at Google Earth.
"Understanding your current situation at the city scale, and
understanding what you can do to it—that's an information problem, and
that's a good place for Google to sit."
So far, the company has only released estimates for five cities,
including Pittsburgh, Buenos Aires, and Mountain View, California. It
plans to expand the program gradually to cover municipalities worldwide,
but has declined to provide more specific plans. "What we envision is an
open search bar for users to search for their own city in the future,"
Van Groenou told me.

As part of this initiative, Google says it will also release its
proprietary estimates of a city's annual driving, biking, and transit
ridership, generated from information collected by its popular mapping
apps, Google Maps and Waze. The company has never released this kind of
aggregate transportation data to the public before, and it says it may
share even more specific types of data with individual local governments.

"This information has historically been really hard to get a hold of,"
Van Groenou said. "But this is precise data, like looking at the
'red-yellow-green' traffic in Google Maps and aggregating it up for an
entire year."
Google has framed the new project, called the Environmental Insights
Explorer, as a way for leaders to focus and improve local climate programs.
https://insights.sustainability.google/
- - - -
[Beta version]
*Environmental Insights Explorer <https://insights.sustainability.google/>*
The explorer remains a better tool for getting a glancing sense of a
city's carbon emissions than it is for making meticulous policy. Right
now, it can only estimate carbon emissions from electricity and from
transportation--two important sources of pollution, but not the only
ones. Heavy industry and agriculture, for instance, generate roughly a
third of U.S. emissions. Google is also hampered by the age and quality
of some data: To estimate how much carbon is emitted to power a given
city, it must use a six-year-old data set from the EPA.
https://insights.sustainability.google/
- - --
[released report]
*Google Environmental Report 2018
<https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-sustainability.appspot.com/pdf/Google_2018-Environmental-Report.pdf>
*"Our commitment to a zero-carbon future drives us to build sustainability
into everything we do, and we'll continue using our technology for good
in order to help people around the world make smarter use of the earth's
resources and drive positive environmental impact.*"
*https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-sustainability.appspot.com/pdf/Google_2018-Environmental-Report.pdf*

*
*[How we get data from oceans]
*What's Causing Antarctica's Ocean to Heat Up? New Study Points to 2
Human Sources
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23092018/antarctica-warming-southern-ocean-human-greenhouse-gas-ozone-ice-loss-study>*
*With help from floating data-collectors, a new study reveals the impact
greenhouse gas emissions and ozone depletion are having on the Southern
Ocean.
Sabrina Shankman
BY SABRINA SHANKMAN
The Southern Ocean around Antarctica is warming at an alarming
rate—twice that of the rest of the world's oceans. Now, researchers have
developed more powerful evidence pointing to the human causes.
Though warming had been observed in the past, there was little
historical data to allow scientists to pinpoint the causes with much
certainty.
In a new study, researchers used climate models, the past observations
that did exist and data flowing in from new ocean-going sensors to show
how greenhouse gas emissions and the depletion of ozone in the
atmosphere have led to both a warming of the Southern Ocean and an
increase in its freshwater content. The findings also rule out natural
variability as a major source of those changes.
"The observed warming is due to human influence," said oceanographer
Neil Swart, a research scientist with Environment and Climate Change
Canada who led the study, published Monday in the journal Nature
Geoscience. "That may have been suspected or proposed before, but this
is the evidence that really proves it."
Ocean-Going Floats and Climate Models
The Southern Ocean is notoriously inhospitable, clogged with ice and
home to rough seas and weather. As a result, there weren't many
measurements in the past.
In 2004, a partnership of 30 countries across the world launched the
Argo program to improve what's known about the world's oceans, and now
there are close to 4,000 programmable floats collecting data in the
oceans worldwide. That is helping improve what's known, but the lack of
complete data going back decades has, in the past, left researchers
wondering if their conclusions were robust...*
- - - -
*

    [important, informative video]
    Argo float animation <https://youtu.be/PzHZdwaBr_Q>
    argoproject
    Published on Aug 20, 2009
    Animation of Argo float cycle and Argo project overview
    https://youtu.be/PzHZdwaBr_Q

- - - -
"If we wish to avoid the worst consequences--and you can think, this can
have effects on coastal regions, agriculture, island nations--clearly we
need to make efforts to change our behavior patterns and decarbonize the
economy," Wilson said. "This is clearly what it's pointing towards."
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23092018/antarctica-warming-southern-ocean-human-greenhouse-gas-ozone-ice-loss-study*

*
[NYC activism]
*Climate Analytics is hosting two Climate Week NYC events this Wednesday
26 September. Both events will be webcast live.
<https://climateanalytics.org/events/2018/whats-the-hurry-bending-the-carbon-emissions-curve/>
*26/09/2018 What's the hurry - bending the carbon emissions curve
<https://climateanalytics.org/events/2018/whats-the-hurry-bending-the-carbon-emissions-curve/>
<https://climateanalytics.org/events/2018/whats-the-hurry-bending-the-carbon-emissions-curve/>Event
1 (morning)
Cool tips for a liveable planet - the whys and hows of 1.5C
9:30am Scandinavia House, 58 Park Avenue
Watch the webcast:
https://youtu.be/28zg6PxXyFY
Speakers:
- renowned climate scientist Dr Michael Oppenheimer (Princeton
University):  the significance of the upcoming IPCC special report on 1.5C
- IPCC AR6 lead author Dr Tabea Lissner (Climate Analytics) will share
the key latest 1.5C science on climate impacts and extremes
- Dr Bill Hare (CEO, Climate Analytics) will discuss the feasibility of
limiting warming to 1.5C and the new generation of scenarios and pathways
- - - -
Followed by Panel Discussion
how business and investors are leveraging new opportunities to support
the transformation.
Panelists:
-Helen Mountford (WRI),  the New Climate Economy Report 2018,
representatives from the renewables sector,  Justine Bell-Leigh, Climate
Bonds Initiative We Mean Business.
- Moderation by Richard Black (director of Energy & Climate Intelligence
Unit, UK, and former BBC Environment Correspondent)
Full programme Event 2 (afternoon)
What's the hurry - bending the carbon emissions curve
1:30pm - 4pm, Scandinavia House, 58 Park Avenue
Watch the webcast
https://youtu.be/QTOr8LS_idE

    Speakers: Climate Action Tracker organisations:
    Bill Hare (Climate Analytics)
    Niklas Höhne (NewClimate)
    Others TBC

Highlights
- overview of state of play global climate action, based on assessment
by the Climate Action Tracker
- a more detailed look at what some of the big emitters - US, EU, China,
India - are doing, with a discussion about the effect of the Trump
administration's policies will have on US emissions and what recent
developments, like the EU-China agreement means for global leadership on
climate
- how the unprecedented development in renewables can act as a
springboard for more ambitious climate pledges by 2020
- panel discussion about the political processes that must line up to
result in more climate action by 2020, with views from the presidencies
of the UNFCCC climate summit - Fiji COP23 and Poland COP24, updates
about the Global Climate Action Summit, and what the UN Secretary
General plans for the 2019 summit.
https://climateanalytics.org/events/2018/whats-the-hurry-bending-the-carbon-emissions-curve/

[Pledge, find candidates, get active, Vote ]
*Our Nation. Our Climate. Vote Climate 2018. <https://www.voteclimate.net/>*
"I pledge to #VoteClimate for a 100 percent clean energy future."
https://www.voteclimate.net/pledge
https://www.voteclimate.net/

[Satellite monitoring - methane, for instance]
*Total column of methane [ ppbv ] (provided by CAMS, the Copernicus
Atmosphere Monitoring Service)
<https://atmosphere.copernicus.eu/charts/cams/methane-forecasts?facets=undefined&time=2018092300,3,2018092303&projection=classical_global&layer_name=composition_ch4_totalcolumn>*
CAMS is one of six services that form Copernicus, the European Union's
Earth observation programme which looks at our planet and its
environment for the ultimate benefit of all European citizens.
Copernicus offers information services based on satellite Earth
observation, in situ (non-satellite) data and modelling.
https://atmosphere.copernicus.eu/charts/cams/methane-forecasts?facets=undefined&time=2018092300,3,2018092303&projection=classical_global&layer_name=composition_ch4_totalcolumn
- - - -
More at:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/81905/flying-through-formaldehyde

[Time magazine opinion]
*Governments Are Failing Their Citizens on Climate Change. Here's How
They Can Fix It <http://time.com/5403478/climate-change/>*
- - - -
First: "Do no harm." After decades of distorting the market with
subsidies for carbon-emitting industries, it's time we end that
practice. Energy, environment and finance policies should no longer
include subsidies for fossil fuels.
There are low-hanging fruits. G7 countries continue to give $100 billion
in subsidies to the production, and use, of fossil fuels, and globally,
a similar amount is spent on forest-destroying agricultural expansion.
Dropping those subsidies and investments would make a big difference: In
all, 13% of global carbon-dioxide emissions are linked to the use of
subsidized fossil fuels for consumption, and forests are a primary
source to offset carbon emissions.

Second, introduce carbon-pricing mechanisms. I know firsthand it is
difficult, but possible. We did it in Norway with the first ever CO2 tax
in 1992. Almost 40 countries followed the example set by Norway and
other Scandinavian countries in recent years, including the 27 of the
European Union, Canada and Mexico, each of which set up their own carbon
"cap-and-trade" mechanisms. And while others, like the U.S., are falling
behind, in 2017, China launched the world's largest such program.

Finally, make emitters pay for the true social cost of carbon. After the
financial crisis, European emission allowances dropped to less than 5
euros per ton, rendering them all but useless. But after a reform last
year, the tide turned, and they now trade at 18 euros ($21) -- an
all-time high...
- - - -
We cannot force those that stay behind to join us. But after the last
few years of climate fire and fury, we know there is a high price to pay
for non-action. With the sprint, we want to provide a viable option to
those who want to make a change, and give hope to those that can't.
http://time.com/5403478/climate-change/

[Opinion]
*Opinion: 5 ways for your stock-market investments to profit from
climate change
<https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-ways-for-your-stock-market-investments-to-profit-from-climate-change-2018-09-24>*
... it's worth examining discussing the broader trend of extreme weather
brought on by climate change and considering which stocks and investment
themes are best positioned to profit from this...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-ways-for-your-stock-market-investments-to-profit-from-climate-change-2018-09-24

[vegetation in Antarctica]
*Study finds first evidence of climate change impacts on East Antarctic
vegetation
<https://phys.org/news/2018-09-evidence-climate-impacts-east-antarctic.html>*
September 24, 2018 by Ben Long, University of Wollongong
- - - - -
The broader message from the study, Professor Robinson said, is that
nowhere on Earth is spared the consequences of climate change.
"We think of Antarctica as a pristine wilderness but climate change and
ozone depletion have a huge impact there. What we do in the rest of the
globe affects the plants and animals in Antarctica," she said.

At the same time, what happens in Antarctica affects the rest of the
globe; as the westerlies that circulate Antarctica move poleward, they
are changing weather patterns across the Southern Hemisphere.

"Another message from this is that we don't necessarily anticipate the
consequences of what we do. We knew ozone depletion would increase UV
radiation, but it was decades before we knew it affected the climate,"
Professor Robinson said.

"Those shifting winds are affecting southern Africa and South America
and Australia because they are pulling all the weather bands to the
south. Some areas are getting wetter, and big areas that were wetter
have got much drier. It's affecting how trees grow in New Zealand. It's
affecting the southern tip of Chile where trees are growing less well,
forests are contracting and there's less water for hydroelectric power
plants."...
Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2018-09-evidence-climate-impacts-east-antarctic.html#jCp

[Time to get real]
*Climate change means we need to talk about moving populations inland
<https://www.citymetric.com/horizons/climate-change-means-we-need-talk-about-moving-populations-inland-4216>*
By Luciana Esteves
- - - - -
But open and inclusive debate about the need for relocation and the
consequences and benefits of it can change people's perceptions. The
"Nimby" (not in my backyard) attitude is strong in coastal communities,
but can subside after personal experiences of severe flooding or
erosion. The environment around us is changing and we cannot continue
living the way we did in the past.

Prevention is always less costly and more effective than remediation,
particularly when involving people's safety. The earlier we accept the
need to change, the less damaged is the legacy we will leave to the next
generations...
https://www.citymetric.com/horizons/climate-change-means-we-need-talk-about-moving-populations-inland-4216

[No one should be surprised]
*The Private Intelligence Firm Keeping Tabs on Environmentalists
<https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2018/09/welund-private-intelligence-oil-gas/>*
When big oil companies want to monitor activists, they turn to Welund.
ADAM FEDERMAN - SEPTEMBER 14, 2018
- - - -
For its part, Welund may disagree with the heavy-handed methods employed
against the Dakota Access protesters, but it still holds a rather
ominous view of environmental activism. "It's threatening your
operations, it's threatening your finances, it's threatening your
reputation, and it's threatening your viability," Moran said in Houston

The Houston conference was mostly celebratory, with discussions of
greatly expanding oil production and pipeline capacity. There were
presentations refuting the science of global warming and information
sessions with representatives of the US Environmental Protection Agency
and Bureau of Land Management. David Blackmon, editor of Shale Magazine,
gave a talk titled, "The Trump-Driven Sea Change in Federal Energy
Policy." Chris Wallace of Fox News delivered the keynote address.

But, when Moran took the stage, the tone was decidedly darker. Showing
the audience an image of a masked tree-sitter protesting a pipeline
project, he warned them about the financial impact of activism. "If
you're not aware of this, if you're not aware of how effective they can
be…if you're not ahead of the game," he said, "this can be your fate."
This article was reported in partnership with The Investigative Fund at
The Nation Institute, with support from the H.D. Lloyd Fund for
Investigative Journalism.
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2018/09/welund-private-intelligence-oil-gas/

[climate empathy - classic essay]
*Psychologists Explain our Climate Change Anxiety
<https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-09-21/psychologists-explain-our-climate-change-anxiety/>*
By Kyla Mandel
September 21, 2018
- - - - -
For individuals who are immediately suffering the consequences of
climate change - catastrophic storms, drought, heat - there is an
additional set of emotions and stressors at play.

Fear is the root emotion of anxiety, said Van Susteren, and from there
it is expressed and dealt with in different ways, from ignoring the
issue or taking a defeatist attitude, to substance abuse or suicide. (A
recent study found that suicide rates are likely to increase with every
degree Celsius in temperature rise.)

"You can be so fearful that you become catatonic, absolutely paralyzed,"
she said. "You can be so fearful that all you have to do is smell a
little bit of smoke or hear a siren and you are immediately brought back
to what is now a post-traumatic stress state."

A survey released in April, for instance, revealed unprecedented levels
of psychological distress among Hurricane Harvey victims. Serious
psychological distress was found in 18 percent of the survey's
respondents. People described trouble sleeping, losing weight, having
difficulty thinking, and increased illness. To help, Harvey survivors
launched a Facebook group for those struggling with anxiety, pain, or
anger with a focus on "sharing solutions, talking through problems,
sharing experiences."

Heat too can make people more irritable, which in turn can make people
more aggressive - either towards themselves or others. Pollution can
harm our health and exacerbate psychiatric symptoms of anxiety, bipolar
disease, obsessive compulsive disorders, said Van Susteren. "I've said
this before - not everything that counts can be counted." In other
words, these secondary factors that intensify mental health issues are
hard to quantify - but it doesn't mean they aren't happening and in some
way connected to climate change.

A farmer who feels stressed to the point of suicide because they can't
make enough money due to crop failures might not blame climate change.
Likewise, an individual who feels hopeless after losing their home, or
even family members, due to a hurricane probably has more immediate and
urgent concerns.

But we know climate change is making individual events more severe and
destructive, making more people vulnerable to the impacts. Understanding
these connections and how best to address them should be at the
forefront of policy and response efforts experts say.

Several news reports, for instance, detail the prolonged toll Hurricane
Maria has taken on Puerto Ricans. Individuals who already suffered
depression are more vulnerable and many suspect suicide rates may have
increased in response to the storm's impact. As a CNN headline starkly
put it, this is the "Maria Generation" where "young people are dying and
suffering on an island with a highly uncertain future."

Unfortunately, response efforts are lagging behind. Not much is set up
at the moment to help those who are bearing the brunt of climate change
deal with the long-term mental health impacts. "It's something that the
mental health professionals, the associations, psychiatrists, and social
workers, really, really need to start talking about," said Van Susteren.

Understanding climate anxiety, and how to incorporate psychology into
our plans for tackling climate change is growing, but only slowly. A
significant barrier, however, is inherent in the problem - we won't, or
don't know how to, talk about it.

"There's an enormous opportunity for mental health professionals to get
into this and to help people begin to process what they're
experiencing," echoed Van Susteren. "And especially to start working on
what we can start doing to build emotional resilience, because you
cannot have a healthy society that is scared."
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-09-21/psychologists-explain-our-climate-change-anxiety/

[OK CBS, that's one. We're keeping score]
*With Exceptions – Media Still Not Connecting Dots on Storms, Climate
<https://climatecrocks.com/2018/09/25/with-exceptions-media-still-not-connecting-dots-on-storms-climate/>*
https://youtu.be/VC1MJmc-4Dw
https://climatecrocks.com/2018/09/25/with-exceptions-media-still-not-connecting-dots-on-storms-climate/

<http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-0925-carbon-fuels-20150925-story.html>*This
Day in Climate History - September 26, 2015
<http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-0925-carbon-fuels-20150925-story.html>
- from D.R. Tucker*
September 26, 2015:
The Los Angeles Times reports:

    "California air quality officials on Friday approved updates to a
    key climate change rule that will force reductions in carbon
    pollution from gasoline and diesel fuel over the next five years.
    "The vote Friday by the Air Resources Board to readopt its
    low-carbon fuel standard will require California to achieve at least
    a 10% cut in the carbon intensity of transportation fuels by 2020.
    "The move is one indication of how California officials will use
    existing regulations, rather than new laws, to continue their
    climate change efforts after Gov. Jerry Brown and Democratic
    lawmakers were forced this month to drop legislative proposals to
    cut petroleum use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-0925-carbon-fuels-20150925-story.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that