[TheClimate.Vote] April 21, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Apr 21 08:58:28 EDT 2019

/April 21, 2019/

[increasing concern]
*New climate models forecast a warming surge*
Paul Voosen - Science 19 Apr 2019:
Vol. 364, Issue 6437, pp. 222-223
DOI: 10.1126/science.364.6437.222
Summary

A host of global climate models developed for the United Nations's
next major assessment of global warming, due in 2021, are now
showing a puzzling but undeniable trend: They are running hotter
than they have in the past. In earlier models, doubling atmospheric
carbon dioxide over preindustrial levels led models to predict
somewhere between 2C and 4.5C of warming once the planet came into
balance. But in at least eight of the next-generation models,
produced by leading centers in the United States, the United
Kingdom, Canada, and France, that "equilibrium climate sensitivity"
has come in at 5C or warmer. Many scientists, including the model
developers, are doubtful this increased warming is likely to be
real. Over the next year, they will be comparing notes on what
happened in their models, which in many cases simulate the Earth
system better than ever before. It's also possible that climate
sensitivities from models will be de-emphasized in the next U.N.
climate assessment, further replaced instead by restraints from the
ancient climate and modern observations.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6437/222

[And now for something completely related]
[in the UK tomorrow 27C = 80F]
*Today is the warmest day of the year so far, and it's going to get even
hotter tomorrow*
It's official, today [April 20, 2019] has been the hottest day of the
year so far, the Met Office has confirmed. The highest UK temperature of
2019 was recorded at 25.5C this afternoon in Gosport Hampshire, with a
number of other parts of the South of England hovering around 24C...
- - -
The Met Office also said that Saturday's temperatures are around 10C
higher in many places compared with the average for this time of year.
London has enjoyed 25C on Saturday, up from the average of 14C for this
time of year, Cardiff saw 24C against an average of 13C and both Glasgow
and Belfast notched up 23C, up from the usual 12C average...
Read more:
https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/20/today-is-the-warmest-day-of-the-year-so-far-and-its-going-to-get-even-hotter-tomorrow-9278329/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
- -
[Saturday news about XR]
*Sky News - Day 6 - Extinction Rebellio*n
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUebX8-nckg
- -
[BBC]
*BBC News - Extinction Rebellion - Day 6*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLSEMb5zOto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGeq3zHELg
- - -
[XR shows off it's news capabilities]
*Pregnant woman arrested at Oxford Circus - Extinction Rebellion*
ExtinctionRebellion - Published on Apr 20, 2019
Hanna, seven months pregnant, was the last person to be arrested at
Oxford Circus today.
She said: "The energy is here, the time is right. This is our last
chance and I'm doing this for my kids."
How far would you go to protect your child?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNWmZaVpezU
- -
[XR membership video briefing]
*Power, Decision Making & Strategy in Extinction Rebellion*
ExtinctionRebellion
Published on Apr 20, 2019
Dr. Gail Bradbrook - 20.04.2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh5eWVksCE
- -
[XR YouTube channel is a pretty good news organization]
*ExtinctionRebellion*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYThdLKE6TDwBJh-qDC6ICA
- -
[Financial Times video report on XR]
*Extinction Rebellion: what pushes people to drastic action on climate
change?*
Financial Times - Published on Apr 15, 2019
- Read more at https://on.ft.com/2KPJVxM
Four members of the same family explain the importance of taking a stand
and getting arrested.
The FT joins four members of a family taking part in the London
'shutdown' to ask about the importance of taking a stand, and what the
point is of getting arrested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FitSDGF6o0
- - -
[Cultural commentator cuts loose]
*The Extinction Rebellion - Jonathan Pie *
Published on Apr 18, 2019
Pie joins the Extinction Rebellion protest that is helping save the
planet whilst annoying commuters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFNcN0Zc7k

[Making solutions in India]
*Eco India is back with its second season*
Season two trailer https://youtu.be/I4ouWIuY6PA
Tune in for more inspiring stories of eco warriors working towards a
cleaner, greener and better tomorrow.
In its first season, Eco India, a solutions-focused web series
highlighting innovative eco initiatives, brought to light inspiring
stories of eco warriors from all over the country. The 20-episode series
featured everyday heroes tackling a wide range of issues -- from water
conservation and eco-friendly agricultural practices to waste management
and more. These eco heroes came from all walks of life -- environmental
activists, organisations and regular citizens.

With its Doing Your Bit contest, Eco India cast the net wider by
crowdsourcing stories of eco warriors. The winners received cash support
and an opportunity to connect their initiatives with a larger audience.
It further deepened its community engagement with the Eco India Facebook
group -- a space for like-minded people to discuss eco-centric issues.
To join the Facebook group, click here.

The first season of Eco India went beyond just spotlighting inspiring
stories of eco heroes. It galvanised people online and offline to think
about and be a part of the greater conversation on environmental
sustainability. It's impact further led to the creation of Season 2,
which continues to highlight innovative eco solutions emerging from
different communities of India. It brings stories of Batik textile
weaving in Kutch, oyster farming in Sindhudurg, farm-to-consumer supply
chain in Maharashtra and many more.

Doodlage - the fashion brand that believes in 'no new clothes'
The first episode features a designer label in Delhi which aims to
provide a more eco-friendly alternative to fast fashion. Doodlage
upcycles scraps of waste cloth into chic garments. Watch their
philosophy below:

Herbivore Farms - organic farming in the heart of Mumbai
The second episode features a vertical-farming startup cultivating
organic, healthy greens in space-crunched Mumbai. Watch the journey of
Herbivore Farms in the video below:

Season 2 of Eco India will also feature the winning entries of Doing
Your Bit, tackling income generation for waste pickers, zero-waste
fashion and responsible tourism. For new episodes, tune into Scroll.in
channels on YouTube and Hotstar every Saturday. You can also visit the
Eco India website here.
YouTube channel -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw3TDbfl2YpMSJrPZi0Ipd-WmgcZOVEwu
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8zB2LZOiLLV0jYUMpTEgA>
and https://scroll.in/brandstudio/ecoindia/

[a worthy Sunday Sermon]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCw3RUcRro
*Talking Climate: When Facts are not Enough -- Dr. Katharine Hayhoe
2/26/2019*
Published on Mar 4, 2019
When we hear people objecting to climate change, they often use
science-y or even religious-y sounding arguments. "It's just a natural
cycle," some say, or "it's cold outside," or "God is in control, so
humans can't affect something as big as our planet." Yet these are
smokescreens for the real objections, that have nothing to do with lack
of information or knowledge or belief. Instead, our attitudes towards
climate change are primarily the result of where we fall on the
political spectrum, and our corresponding aversion to what we perceive
to be solutions that are incompatible with our way of life, our
political ideology, and our identity. How can we move past this impasse?
Join Katharine Hayhoe as she identifies the barriers to climate action,
and highlights the key role our values play in shaping our conversations
on this crucial topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCw3RUcRro

*This Day in Climate History - April 21,  1993 - from D.R. Tucker*
April 21, 1993: President Clinton pledges to combat carbon pollution in
an Earth Day address.
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/DayAd